Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ I Don't Need a Hero! ❯ Stupid is as Stupid does ( Chapter 2 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]
I'm telling you, Kaya can't be the one we're looking for! I know her, I think I would have noticed something!” Yusuke argued. They had been going on like this since they had arrived nearly 40 minutes ago. Koenma had some blood taken from the estranged girl currently passed out on the couch, so to be sure they had the right person and it wasn't just a malfunction with the trackers, as Yusuke had been suggesting since they arrived. Other, more extensive test would have to be taken, but by request of his best detective, Koenma would wait until the girl named Kaya had gotten, at least a detailed explanation.

Still, the tiny prince stood and gaped at the girl laying on the sofa in his office. Had he really gotten so worked up over her? She didn't even have strong spirit energy...! But he knew better then anyone that looks aren't everything. He sighed as he thought of the piles upon piles of pater work he'd have to do in order to get her tests done.

Whats gonna happen to her?” Yusuke asked un-characteristic soft while looking down at the girl he thought of as a little sister.

Well, until she undergoes a series of test to make sure she does not pose a threat to the human world, I cannot let her live there. Just the same, she shows so sigh of power so Demon world isn't an option. Working for me is the only other option right now, so she will be sent to Genkai's for quarantined training.” Koenma said solemnly.

Yeah, and this has nothing to do with your recent shortage of spirit detectives, does it?” Yusuke mumbled, a bitter taint to his tone. But at the same time he knew there was nothing he could do about it.

Ignoring his statement, Koenma asked a question of his own. “How do you know this girl, Yusuke? You never did say...”

Shes my roommate.” He mumbled, running a hand through his already slicked back hair.

Just then the girl opened her pale green eyes and blinked a few times as she looked around her. “What the hell...Yusuke? Was I drunk? I can't remember anything...” She mumbled, groggy from her forced sleep.

No Kay, you weren't drunk. Look, um, I think we all have some explaining to do, so before you start on a rampage please just hear us out.” He asked with a small, barely managed smile. He looked as though he was 5 again, trying to gather up enough balls to face the monster in his closet.

Kaya blinked again and rubbed her aching head. “What the hell are you talking about? Who's 'us'? W-where am I?” It was then she noticed they were not alone.

Hey... Your the people from before...Whats going on here?” She paused to think for a moment, her memory seeming as foggy as her vision. But when it all came rushing back to her she felt a wave of anger overtake her.

Start talking.” She glared at them all, zeroing in on Yusuke. The bright blue surrounding the pupils of her eyes was slowly starting to bleed into the pale, yet somehow bright green that made up the rest of her iris. Being the jerk that he is, Yusuke knew from experience that her eyes only changed like that when she was seriously mad.

'Out of all the monsters and demons I fight, none of them compare to Kaya when shes mad...' Yusuke thought grimly.

Once they got her to clam down enough they weren't scared she'd hurt someone, they proceeded to explain the reasoning behind her kidnapping. They told her about demons, humans, and the three worlds. They told her about everything Koenma felt she needed to know.

(A/N: You know how long it would take to explain everything about Makai, Rekai, Meningeal, AND about Yusuke and Kuwabara and that Hiei and Kurama are demons, yadda blah dweeb, so I’m just going to skip to her reaction.)

Kaya just sat there for a moment, seemingly thinking the whole thing over. Once they got to the part of Hiei and Kurama being demons, Koenma had asked them to leave seeing the look on the poor girls face. After the hour of explaining was over, Koenma let them back in the room, strangely enough by Kaya's request. It wasn't that she was scared of them, though she knew she should be, she just felt it a little much to be in the presence of these newfound “demons.”

Letting out a laugh that held no humor, Kaya stood up before calmly walking up to Koenma. She smiled sweetly at him for a long moment before grabbing the front of his shirt and yanking him towards her face.

Let me get this straight...Your saying my whole life was a lie...I'm not a human being, or one of these demons...so what the fuck am I?” She asked, laughing slightly as she spoke, though her eyes were threatening.

I-...I don't know yet. Thats why your here, so we can find out.” Koenma choked out, he was finding it rather hard to breathe with her death grip on him. He eyed Yusuke pitifully, as if to ask for help.

Calm down Kay-” Yusuke started, reaching out a hand to place on her shoulder only to be cut off. “I AM CALM MOTHER FUCKER!” She screamed before letting the demi-god go from her grasp. She let out a deep breath before running a hand through her long, colorful head of hair.

After a semi short silence, Kaya spoke up again. “So...This toddler,” She paused to point a finger at Koenma, “-is supposed to be the prince of all spirit world...this all mighty, all knowing demi-god...and it took him 17 years to find me...Sounds like this place has its head just as far up it's ass as the American government.” Kaya commented bluntly. Both Kurama and Yusuke smirked at this however. She already had the prince all figured out.

From his spot in the corner, against the wall, Hiei wasn't paying much attention to what was being said. His interest in this mission had long since faded, however little may have been there to begin with. This girl seemed rather boring to him, and frankly he didn't really give a damn about what she was. He was indifferent either way. His thoughts were cut off when she spoke again.

Can I smoke in here?” She asked before Koenma had a chance to respond to her comment about his leadership skills. When she saw the look on his face, she added quickly, “It'll help me calm down.”

She didn't wait for a response before pulling out a pack of cigarettes and lighting one up. “So...what now?” She asked, blowing out the match and taking a drag of her beloved poison.

Deciding she had changed her mind about wanting to know, again she spoke faster and said, “On second thought...Can I just have the rest of today to think? I kinda need to know I'm not crazy, and I promise, tomorrow, I'm all yours.. Assuming this ain't a dream of course.” Spoken with a slight laugh.

Fair enough,” Koenma said, turning towards the guys he mumbled, “You will all go with her, keep an eye on her.” They all nodded and Koenma opened a portal.

Yusuke and Kuwabara made it out first, tripping over each other in their rush to be the first one out, falling flat on their faces. Hiei was next, followed by Kurama then Kaya, who tripped, not being used to the feeling but she quickly caught herself. Looking up towards the sky, she let a heavy sigh pass through her lips. Deciding she didn't want to be near anyone right now, she turned on her heel and started walking off towards the city.

Hey! Where are you going?” Kwuabara yelled after her.

For a walk.” She replied, her voice emotionless.

Well, how will we know you won't run away?” Kuwabara asked again, rather dumbly. She turned around to look at them, her face bordered between pure rage and emotionally drained.

There'd be no point,” she said as she threw her arms up in a gesture of 'screw it' before continuing. “Even if I did, y'all could find me again easily if your the demons you claim to be. I just...I just need to think. Don't follow me.” She said, walking away again.

They all watched her walk off, except for Hiei, who had disappeared. Kurama knew he had gone after her but headed inside with the rest of them anyway. He thought it odd that the little fire demon had suddenly taken an interest in the girl as he had seemed totally indifferent back in Koenma's office. Shrugging, the red head went about fixing diner as he thought. 'Hiei can take care of himself, he must've had some reason for following her, if not to simply amuse himself.'

Kaya walked down the busy street of the city, not caring when she knocked into people. 'I guess I've never really been all that normal...But wow...And Yusuke! That little fucker has been lying to me from day one!...' She thought angered, as she idly walked down the busy Tokyo street.

She walked for another 20 minutes, not really setting a destination for herself. She didn't care were her feet took her, all she wanted to do was walk. It was always something that worked to clear her mind rather well. But when she ended up in the same neighborhood she grew up in, she decided to visit her old house...or what was left of it.

The whole street was deserted, anyone could just walk into one of these houses and she was sure the cities homeless liked it that way. She smiled slightly at the burned down memory and walked through what used to be the front door, now a half standing charred mess. This was her uncles house before there was a fire. It completely destroyed this house, along with a few neighboring homes.

Guess this makes me a liar.” She mumbled as she walked straight up to the fire place in the middle of the living room. 'Told myself I'd never come back here..' She thought as she traced the carvings in the burnt wood of the fireplace with a rail-thin finger.

'I'm not nearly as freaked out about this whole thing as I should be. My whole life up till now has been a lie for shits sake...and I'm not quite fine with it yet, but I'm getting there rather fast.' While she was lost in her thoughts she didn't realize her feet were moving her towards the backyard.

Once outside again, she stood stiff as she stared blankly out into the sea of headstones. One name came to her mind as her brain zeroed in on a long forgotten memory.

Hideyoshi...”

A little girl no more then 5 was walking around in the grave yard that was her back yard. Even at 5 she knew this wasn't right. It wasn't right to raise a child in the resting place of the dead. Back yards are spoused to be for kids like her to play in, but she wasn't complaining.

She was alone in the house again, her father took off and left her there. Between work and the bars, she hardly ever saw her daddy. Sometimes she felt so alone, she'd pretend her toys were people just so she could feel like someone was in the house with her. But there was no one. And lately, she found she liked it that way, for it meant she could spend more time with her 'friends.'

She had told her mother once that she'd been able to see ghosts but she just ignored her, saying she was making it up. Sighing, the little raven haired girl skipped through the headstones till she found her best friends resting place.

Mommy and Daddy are gone Hideyoshi, come out and play with me!” The little girl giggled as she keeled down to place a small hand on the grave stone. A blue light surrounded her for a moment before it stopped and she felt a hand on her shoulder. She turned around to see a very tall, skinny man with white hair, she smiled and lunged at him.

Hello there Hikira. Its nice to see you too.” He laughed.

I missed-ed you Hideyoshi! Mommy says you aren't real but if you weren't... then how could we play such fun games!” The little girl known as Hikira laughed.

Kaya was snapped out of her trance when she felt herself fall to the ground. For a few moments she just lay there, trying to remember what the hell just happened and where the hell she was. She felt so weak she could barely move. She couldn't really remember what just happened, what she had just seen. All she knew right now was she didn't want to move .Hikira...?” She mumbled the little girls name, testing it out on her tongue as if it were in a foreign language to her. That name stuck out in her mind, but she knew she didn't know the little girl. Sighing, she rolled onto her back and closed her eyes, unaware of the 3 other eyes fixed on her unmoving form.

Back with the apes...And Boton.

So...should we go after her? I mean, its been 2 hours.” Yusuke muttered.

The poor girl just found out what she is...erm...isn't...think how alone she must feel.” Boton said with a sad face.

Yeah...” Yusuke whispered, taking a drink form his can of soda. He knew it was noticeable how much this whole thing was bothering him, but for once in his life he couldn't help it. Kaya was like his little sister, and hes been in her shoes before. He had every right to be worried.

You never told us how you know Kaya?” Boton said in that sing song voice of hers.

We're roommates.”

So how come I ain't never met the chick?” Kuwabara asked as he stuffed potato chips into his big month.

I dunno...Its kinda funny. I've known her for 2 years and shes never had the misfortune of meting any of my other wacko friends.” Yusuke laughed as he said this and Boton's face lit up. He had been a bit bummed since this morning and it was nice to hear him laughing.
“Well doesn't she go to school?” Kurama asked from his spot on the sofa.


Not the same one as us. She got kicked out of that place on the first day of school so she goes to the one downtown now.” Yusuke smiled and got up from his spot on the couch.

Wow, you have to do something really bad to get kicked out of a school that puts up with Yusuke everyday.” Kuwabara said, amazed.

Yeah. I guess you do.” Yusuke agreed, not really feeling like fighting with his friend right now.

He knew Kaya would be pissed at him when she got back..

Back with Hiei and Kaya.

Hiei watched Kaya walk into the grave yard and freeze. He watched her eyes widen and her face go blank. He watched her closely all the while his Jagan open and glowing a faint purple. All of a sudden she fell to the ground and he was thrown out of her mind. He had never really been THROWN out of someones mind like that before..

Once he regained his composer he hopped out of the tree he was in and walked up to Kaya's unmoving body, that was currently lying face down in dirt.

She looked up at him for a moment before looking back down at the dirt. She obviously didn't care he was there. “Get up onna. We're leaving.” Hiei ordered, his voice cold and devoid of any emotion.

Go away elf.” She whispered, she felt so weak and she didn't even know why...or care for the matter. She was to busy trying to remember...what she had just remembered.

Hiei growled and yanked her to her feet by her upper arm. Hard. Kaya winced and pulled her arm away like he had just burned her, witch he very well could have, but he knew he didn't.

Who the hell do you think you are, man?! Just leave me the fuck alone! I don't want to go back there yet!” She screamed at him as she tried to keep her legs from shaking, witch proved to be harder then she had originally hoped. .

He grunted and threw her over his shoulder. “HEY! Put me down!” She shouted and clutched Hiei's shirt for dear life so she wouldn't slip off. He didn't respond and just took off running. Full speed i might add. Kaya could see flashes of color and feel a strong wind on her face but she still didn't know what was happening.

All she knew is that if Hiei wasn't holding onto her waist so tight she'd be in a great deal of pain right about now.

I SAID PUT ME DOWN GOD DAMMIT!” She screamed at the top of her lungs making Hiei wince.

Will you shut up and stop screaming in my ear!” Hiei growled out. It was an order, witch just made Kaya all the more hostile towards him.

Screw you! I'll bite the mother fucker off if you don't put me down right n-oof!” She was cut off when Hiei dropped her to the cold hard ground and walked off with an “I'm better then you” smirk on his face. When she looked up she saw she was in front of her house and sighed. 'Who the bloody hell does that guy think he is! Oh, am I going to get him for this..' Her brain raged.

Shaking her head and storing those thoughts of revenge away for later, she walked up to the house and opened the door. She didn't even notice that her legs had stopped their shaking and her strength was back to normal.

Honey, I'm home!” Kaya yelled into the house and instantly, Yusuke and 2 of the guys from before appeared. Along with this strangely chipper chick with blue hair and a bubbly smile. Kaya could already tell this one was going to be annoying.

Uh...can I help you?” She questioned as she pushed them all aside and walked into the kitchen. “Kay! Where have you been! Its been hours!” Yusuke scowled, following her into the kitchen with the rest of the gang.

Why the hell should I tell you, mum. Its none of your damn business. Now, can I PLEASE eat my last meal in pace without 11 hundred people swarming around me, asking dumb ass questions that I can't and most likely won't answer!” With the said, Kaya promptly began to stuff her face with the plate of food she was fixing while she yelled at them.

Alright Kaya. Have it your way. But as soon as your done, we need to have a talk in the living room. C'mon, everybody. Out!” Yusuke sighed and everyone left the room. Kaya scoffed and continued to inhale her diner. 'There he goes, acting like mommy again...Damn this is good...Yusuke definitely didn't make it.'

After she was done she cleaned her plate and walked back into the living room to see everyone from earlier -plus Hiei- in the room staring at her, for lack of better phrase, like they were all monkeys and she had the banana...

She shook off the stares and found herself glaring at Hiei for a few seconds before Kurama spoke up. “How was your diner Kaya?” He asked politely with a smile.

Huh? Oh, it was great! Can't remember the last time I ate real food and not take out.” She smiled, thanking him for the meal. She figured he must have been the one to cook since she couldn't really picture any of the others doing it.

Um, so I guess I haven't met you all yet.” she paused, looking around the room at everyone. “I know Kuwabara and Kurama from what Yusuke has told me, but I'm having trouble putting the face with the name.”

If I had to guess, I'd say red over there is Kurama?” She asked, smiling at him when he nodded. “Witch makes lumpy Kuwabara.” She laughed at the “HEY!” she received from the lumpy teen.

You got a name?” Kaya asked once she noticed Boton, smiling kindly at the blue haired, pink eyed girl standing there sheepishly. She didn't know her, so she had so reason to be mean to the girl.

Uh...I'm Boton, nice to meet you.” She beamed, shaking Kaya's hand. She laughed and walked over to Hiei, who sent her a death glare, witch she gladly returned.

I never got your name..” She started, still glaring her hardest at him. “Hn..” He mumbled, letting his dislike for the girl show through his glare. “Heh, His names Hiei. Not much of a talker, if you know what I mean.” Yusuke spoke for him, a dumb grin on his face.

Kaya “Keh'd” at Hiei before turning around and facing everyone. “Alright. Kurama, Kuwabara, Boton and Hiei. Got it. But i won't for long so I'm going to call you-” She pointed at Kurama. “-Red.”

Heh. Alright then.” Kurama said, sweat dropping.

And you-” this time she pointed at Kuwabara. “Your, Carrot top.”

HEY!” Kuwabara yelled in protest. “Either that or lumpy...or maybe just baka. Your choice.” When he said nothing she smiled. “Carrot top it is then.”

She looked at Boton for a minute before smiling at her. “You are now known as Blue. Ok so Kurama is red. Kuwabaka is Carrot top. ..I already have a name I call Yusuke so that just leaves Mister Hiei.”

Hn.”

Elf.” One word. It was that one word, when she used it, it had the power to piss Hiei off.

Well as some of you know, my name is Kaya. But my friends just call me Kay. At least they would if I had any friends.” She glared at Yusuke.

Was nice meeting you lot but, I'm going to bed. I don't feel well.” With that she walked up to her room and locked the door behind her.

'Glad i avoided THAT conversation.' She thought as she stripped her closes and stepped into the shower. When she was done she pulled on a pair of black boxers with little skulls on them and a white tank-top. 'I really didn't want to listen to more other worldly crap.'

She crawled into bed and fell asleep thinking, 'Tomorrow is gonna... suck..'