Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ I Don't Need a Hero! ❯ The First Day Of The Rest Of My Life ( Chapter 3 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]
So what the hell was that all about?” Kuwabara asked after Kaya had gone upstairs. “She doesn't like to remember peoples names so she gives them stupid little nicknames like that. She calls me stretch, for some reason. But I think she was just trying to avoid talking about this.” Yusuke said, laughing slightly.

Well at any rate, she certainly seems like the rebellious type. Tell me Yusuke, do you think she'll willingly work for Koenma like the rest of us?” Kurama asked, ignoring Hiei's growl. They all knew Hiei was forced into working for the demi-god. “Well, that all depends on what he wants from her. I honestly can't tell you.” Yusuke sighed. “Its still so weird...I never thought Kaya would get mixed up in all this.”

At the moment, she has the power level of just a weak human. The baby wants us to train her.” Hiei said as he leaned against the windowsill, his eyes closed and arms crossed. “Yes, that seems like the only thing he can do. Until we find out where in the 3 worlds she belongs, Koenma will have her work for him.” Kurama mused, rubbing his chin lightly. Yusuke was starting to really worry about his friend, though he tried not to show it.

Oh come on guys! You make working for Koenma sound like its the worst thing in the world. I've worked for him for over 2 hundred years and its not that bad. Human world has worse jobs!” Boton said, trying to stick up for her boss but failing since everyone knew working for spirit world had major faults. “Boton, its different when your alive. You have to juggle school, friends, family, and be on call whenever Koenma wants you to risk your life. Its hard. And I just don't want Kaya to end up having to do all that like I did. Plus theres the fact that Koenma can decide to ship her off to demon world any time he wants.” Yusuke sighed.

I doubt he'll do that Yusuke, not unless she does prove to have demonic powers.” Kurama said, offering a smile to his friend. After disusing what to do about Kaya for a few hours, Kurama, Kuwabara, Boton, and Hiei said their goodbyes, saying they'd all be back in the morning to take Kaya to Koenma for testing. Yusuke still wasn't sure they had the right person, even though they proved it to him while she was passed out in spirit world.

He was really starting to worry about her. She was acting like the whole thing didn't bother her in the least, while any sane person would be scared. Yusuke had to laugh at that. 'Kaya...sane? Never thought I'd use those two words in the same sentence.' He thought, laughing a bit more. She had to be thee craziest person he knew, and look at the people he hangs around with! She was a good friend, and he could relate to her current situation, so he felt compelled to look after her.

After he had moved out of this mothers house, he asked Keiko to move in with him. But she declined, saying she wanted to finish school before living together. He understood, but still needed a roommate to pay the other half of the rent. Keiko had told him about a girl she knew who was looking for a roommate also and, BAM. That was it. Him and Kaya were best friends. And have been ever since.

When he first met her, however, he was a bit taken aback by her appearance. She had black hair, witch came down to about mid back, but it had random clumps of turquoise in it also. Her eyes were the weirdest color he'd ever seen. They were a pale green but there was some blue surrounding her pupil. She had some weird make-up on too, but thats not what interested him in them. They were also a different shape, due to her mother being American, he learned later on.

He also noted the ring in the right side of her nose, the two bottom lip piercings on the left side, witch were just two metal balls, and upon closer inspection, he realized she had about 3 rings on each finger. Yusuke laughed a little more to himself. Kaya had a thing for the unconventional. He remembered about a month after she moved in, she had said she was going to get a mohawk. Thankfully, she changed her mind saying, “fuck that, mohawks are too high maintenance.”

Even with all her quirks, he still loved her. In a brotherly way, of course. Who else did he have to be stupid with? Shaking his head and laughing one last time, he shut off the kitchen light and walked upstairs to get ready for bed.

The next morning-

Kaya turned over in her bed, the sun light threatening to wake her up from her strange dream. After a while of tossing and turning to avoid the sun, she finally gave up and threw the covers off of her small body. Sitting up right, she glanced over at the clock and saw it was almost 9:00 in the morning. “Shit.” She groaned, standing up and walking over to her closet to pick her clothes out. But not before turning on her CD player and blasting a song by one of her favorite American punk bands, Vice Squad.

She pulled out a pair of jeans, a black “EAT FLESH” shirt, and a pair of black boots. 'I had the strangest dream last night..' She thought, remembering the day before. Dismissing the thought as just another one of her dreams, she set about looking for her favorite belt. Picking up some clothes on the floor, she threw them to the side in an attempt to find her missing belt.

Looking up at her dresser, she saw the studded belt hanging out of the top drawer. Grinning to herself, she opened the drawer and yanked her belt out before putting it on. Just as she was about to close the drawer, something caught her eye. She picked the shiny metal object up and looked at it closely, letting the smallest hint of a smile come to her lips. Taking a chain from one of her necklaces, she placed the object, a key, on it and tied it around her neck.

'This key sucks...' She thought, laughing, as she fingered the 19th century key absentmindedly. She walked out of her room, closing the door behind herself and locking it, like she was so used to doing. “Yo, kid! I don't smell any food cooking?” She yelled jokingly as she walked down the stairs. Once she got to the bottom, however, her face fell and she almost tripped on her feet.

There, in the living room, sat the 3 men from yesterday. One was sipping tea, one was leaning against the wall with his head down and his arms crossed, and the other was fighting with Yusuke, stopping when she entered the room. 'No, I was dreaming!...I thought... I was so sure I was dreaming!...' She lost her train of thought when Kurama spoke up. “Good morning Kaya. Did you sleep well?” He asked politely, smiling warmly at her.

She didn't answer, just stared blankly from one person to the next, not moving from her spot at the bottom of the stair case. All of a sudden her eyes widened 'They wanna take me to that spirit place again...Most likely to conduct weird experiments and tests on me! No way in hell I'm letting that happen! I'm not gonna give up without a fight!' And with that thought, she took off running out the door, stunning everyone in the room...well, except our favorite little mind reader, that is.

Running as fast as her legs would take her, Kaya ran down the street, not bothering to stop for the cars. After nearly getting run over a few times, she made it to the forest and leaned against a tree for a second to catch her breath. Part of her mind was screaming, “Their demons you dumb ass! You can't out run them!” While the other parts were to stubborn to just give up and go with them. This was her freedom for gods sake! They were asking her to give up her life, just because THEY say so!

Then a thought came to her overloading mind...”Am I crazy? Why the hell am I listening to these people? I don't even know them... ”

No, they we're the crazy ones! If it wasn't for the fact that Yusuke, her best friend, was going along with them, and the fact that she SAW spirit world with her own two eyes...then she'd have them all thrown in the 'happy hotel.' It just didn't add up to her. Shes lived a some what normal life, for the past 17 and a half years...Shes never had any signs that she was anything other then a human girl, albeit a messed up girl, but still human! And then these people come along saying her whole life has been a lie. Normally she wouldn't believe them and just blow them off...but remembering Hiei toss her over his shoulder like she was nothing and start running faster then the cars...”Ugh! I'm so confused!” She shouted, nearly tearing out her long black and red hair.

Just as she was about to start running again, she felt something cold against her throat, stopping her dead in her tracks. “Move and you die.” A hollow voice threatened. Opening her eyes, witch she hadn't realized she closed, she saw a pair of beautiful crimson ones staring back at her. Cold, emotionless, mind numbingly gorgeous eyes..

Hey short shit. How'zit going?” She smirked, not wanting to show him that she was actually a tiny bit scared. Hiei growled low in his throat, pressing his sword closer to the soft skin of her neck. “Hmm... not much of a talker are ya? Just answer me one question though,...” she paused for a moment, “how in the hell do you get your hair to stay up like that? Its like...gravity defying!” She teased, ignoring the pressure added to the blade at her throat. It was getting kinda hard to swallow without pain.

Hiei! Let go of her!” Yusuke yelled, jumping through the bushed and trees that lined the forest. He was about 5 feet away from the tree where Hiei currently had Kaya pinned. “Yes, Hiei. Our mission wasn't to kill the poor girl.” Kurama added, suddenly appearing beside Yusuke. With a growl and one last glare towards Kaya, Hiei stepped back, allowing her to breathe freely. “Damn elf..” She mumbled, leaning back against the tree, again, to catch her breath. She hadn't realized how hard it was to breathe before with his sword pressed so hard against her neck.

Kaya briefly thought about kicking him as hard as she could, right in the shin with her big heavy boots, but realizing she was still rubbing her throat, she decided against it.

All of a sudden a portal appeared, letting everyone know it was time to go. It took both Yusuke and Kurama to get Kaya through the portal, but they did get her through it, and just in time to see a very pissed off demi-god pacing around his office, binky in month and dipper on butt.

YUSUKE!!!!” Koenma roared, his voice echoing off the walls of this very large office. “What'd I do now?!” Yusuke yelled back, having no clue as to why Koenma was pissed off at him...this time anyways. “You let her run away! I told you to keep an eye on her Yusuke, forget the fact that you know her. This is your job.” Koenma said, calming down a bit.

Oh get off his ass tiny. It was my fault.” Kaya said, crossing her arms across her chest in a stubborn manner. Koenma glared at her briefly before sighing and getting to the matter at hand. “Yes, anyway,...” He paused to clear his throat, “Kaya...you'll need to undergo some tests we have set up for you. Just to give us some idea of what your powers may be.” He said, looking over some paper work on his desk.

Uh...Whatever.” Kaya sighed, briefly considering telling him to go fuck himself, but decided against it since she just wanted to get the hell out of there. Some huge purple dude with a horn jutting out of his forehead asked her to following him and he lead her to where the tests were to take place. “Alright then..”

After some really stupid and weird tests, she was finally allowed to leave. But not before checking in with Koenma, as the purple guy informed her. He lead her back to Koenma's office, where everyone was waiting for her.

So how'd I do on them tests little man? Never was good at passing those things.” She joked, taking a seat on the couch. She thought for a moment that it was kinda weird for a baby to have all this nice shit in his office but decided it didn't matter. She watched as Koenma's eyes scanned over the papers he was just handed, his eyes wide and actually open for once. “Whats the matter Koenma?” Kurama asked, he was also watching him read and, by the look on his face, he knew something was wrong.

Kaya...You failed every test.” Koenma said, reading the papers over and over again. “Well, whats that mean? Means I'm 100 percent human! I knew it. So if you'd be so kind as to take me back home I'd re-” Kaya said, only to be cut off by Koenma. “It only means that your powers are either dormant, or you simply do not have any. It does not mean your human Kaya. We've already proven that your not.” He said in a 'matter of fact' tone, witch pissed her off.

And when the hell was that, all mighty asshole!?” She shot back, her hands balled up into fists at her sides. “Now, now. Calm down Kaya. We simply took some of your blood the first time you were here, witch I had analyzed. The results came back and your blood type wasn't in our data base, meaning your the only one of your kind. That alone proves you are not human.” He said calmly.

Thats bull! Those papers right there tell you I'm a fucking human being!” She yelled, not wanting to believe him. She had a mother, a father and, 2 brothers who'd tell him he was full of it! Koenma only sighed, rubbing the bridge of his nose. “Listen Kaya, while you may not have any powers yet, you do have an abnormally high strength and psychic power level. Too high for a human female, again, proving your not human. I'm sorry, but you just are nota human.” Koenma said, trying to explain it to her without making her madder.

Kaya didn't say anything, just stood there with her head down staring at the floor and her hands still balled into fists at her sides, the knuckles turning a ghostly white. Yusuke, worried about his friend, came up and wrapped an arm around her shoulders, reviled when she didn't push him away or punch him. There was a long pause before Koenma spoke up, clearing his throat to get their attention.

As a result of Kaya's psychic and strength results, I'm sending her to live with Genkai for training. Maybe Genkai will be able to unlock her powers, if she has any that is. And if not, she will certainly be able to help Kaya get stronger.” Koenma said, talking to the guys and not Kaya. “Alright Koenma. We'll get her to Ge-” Yusuke started only to be cut off by Kaya. “Why do I need to get stronger?” She asked, glaring daggers at Koenma, who seemed to back away from her a bit.

Well, since we don't know what you are, we need to figure out where to relocate you, witch could take a long time. And in the mean time, you will have to work here in spirit world as a spirit detective. I'm sorry Kaya, but you could be a danger to human world if we let you stay there, and until we can prove that your not, you'll have to work here and live with Genkai.” Koenma said. Kaya nodded a little, still glaring at the demi-god in front of her.

I'll send a portal to your house so you can pack your things. Yusuke, I want you to call me on your communicator when shes done and from there I'll open a portal to Genkai's, understood?” He asked, narrowing his eyes at the detective. Yusuke nodded and Koenma opened the portal. Everyone stepped through the swirling blue light and ended up in Kaya's room. “Um...can everybody please leave me the fuck along so I can pack...pretty please.” She said, not looking at any of them. They all nodded and headed down stairs to the living room while Kaya set about packing.

A few minutes later blaring loud music could be heard down stairs along with the occasional “BANG!” From Kaya punching the wall, Yusuke guessed. “Are you sure shes alright up there?” Boton, who appeared shortly after they got here, asked with a concerned look on her face. “Yeah shes fine...Or she will be once she lets everything out on the wall. She does that a lot.” Yusuke mumbled, taking a sip from his soda. “Oh...Alright then.” Boton whispered, slumping back in her chair a little more.

God, how does she listen to this crap?” Kuwabara said, covering his ears with his hands in an attempt to block out the noise Kaya called music. “I believe this is a band called Korn.” Yusuke said. “Well it sucks! I don't think I can take much more if this.” Kuwabara said, stuffing tissues in his ears. “Kaya and her American bands... I learned the hard way, don't mess with her music.” Yusuke sighed, shaking his head.

Upstairs with Kaya: BANG!

The wall shook as she punched it, again and again until her knuckles bled. 'Dammit! What did I ever do it deserve this?! Just 2 days ago I was a normal teenager and now I have to give up my life because that ASSHOLE say so?!' Kaya thought, leaning against the wall as she took a deep breathe. The wall, surprisingly enough, had no holes in it from the beating it took a moment ago. She had marked the studs in the wall when she first moved in, as to not put her fist through the wall and have to pay for the damages.

'Whats gonna happen now..?...I just disappear? Drop off the face of the earth to be forgotten by everyone I've ever known?' She thought, sliding down the wall she was leaning against to sit on the floor, knees pulled up to her chest and arms wrapped around herself. “Fucking Asshole Koenma.”

After a few more minutes of thinking, she decided it'd be best to start packing. Grabbing a suit case from under her bed, she started to throw every item of clothing she owned in it, along with a few other things she needed. She made a mental check list and slowly checked everything off.

'Clothes...Shoes...Toothbrush...Hairdye...' After she was done with everything and with a slight struggle, she zipped up her suit case.

Opening her bedroom door, she looked back one last time before shaking her head and closing it. She walked down the stairs and nodded at the guys to show she was ready. Yusuke took out his communicator and in a matter of seconds a portal appeared. Everyone stepped through except Yusuke and Kaya. “You coming or not?” Yusuke said, tapping his foot on the ground. “Shut up.” Was all she said before stepping into the swirling blue light with one last thought.

'Today is the first day of the rest of my life..'