Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Key To My Heart ❯ He Likes Me, He Likes Me Not ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

March 15,2004. My life changed from being mostly normal to super frightening that day. I was walking home from school when I noticed a weird shaped shadow in the trees above me. "Is anybody there?' I asked starting to get nervous, "You can come out now, I don't bite". Maybe it was my over active imagination, but I swore that the shadow started to laugh. That was more than enough to get me angry. I dropped my book bag, picked up a good-sized rock, and flung it into the treetops. A few seconds later my rock hit its target and with a loud "thunk", it fell out of the tree.

I was already freaked out, but when I saw the cute guy that had been laughing, I freaked out even more. He was about my height of 5'6" and he had spiky black and white hair and dark crimson eyes. Those deep crimson eyes however, were glaring angrily at me. "Who the hell are you?" I shouted, "And why were you stalking me?" " Me stalk a mere human girl," he said chuckling softly, "I was following you because you looked fascinating". "Oh great, now I'm weird and fascinating!" I muttered, "I still want to know your name but mine is Zina". "Since you won't leave me alone until I tell you, my name is Jaganshi Hiei." he said softly.

I didn't know it then, but Hiei and I had many things in common, not that that was a good thing. "I have to go home now but since you're stalking me, I'll see you tomorrow", I called out, not able to resist adding that one little insult. Hiei growled menacingly and watched as I walked home. Just my luck that I would meet the perfect guy but he ends up growling at me. I couldn't help, but look back at him before going inside, "What a weird guy". I stated as I closed the door behind me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

What is this feeling that I get when I look at that girl? From her scent, it seems that she can only be a few years younger than Yusuke. I was back in the tree thinking about that feeling when my cell phone started to ring." Hello Koenma, I found our target. What should I do with her?" I said. It was ridiculous, taking orders from a toddler. If it weren't for that stupid brat, I wouldn't be stuck baby-sitting a human girl. "Talk to her, win her confidence and then bring her to me." Koenma said," Her immense knowledge of America will be most useful in your next mission."

After the toddler finished boring me with information, I settled back against the tree to think. There was something about that girl-Zina- that made me want to protect her. For some reason, I imagined Yusuke and the Idiot talking about my Jagan eye and I wondered what that girl would say if she saw my famous third eye. "Hiei of the Evil Eye getting soft on a human?" I murmured, "Yusuke and Kuwabara would die laughing." I growled and rolled over in the tree as I fell asleep.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Hi Teffany." I said, "What's up?" It was the day after I had met that cute but seriously mental guy and I was desperate for any thing to happen. "Oh my God!" she squealed, "There are three new students and all of them are HOT!" I couldn't help myself and snuck over to where the new guys were sitting by Anthony and Jamil were talking. That was when a familiar and all too annoying voice grated on my ears.

"What are you doing here?" I asked Hiei angrily, painfully aware of all of the people looking at me, "Why are you following me everywhere I go?" In addition, Hiei had the balls to pull me down into the seat next to his friend and then totally ignored me while he and Wayne had a dumb conversation about some stupid game. I was all set to beat Hiei in the head with my umbrella when his friend grabbed my arm." Don't bother hitting Hiei, he won't feel it any way." He said still holding my hand. I blushed and looked into dark green eyes that seemed slightly familiar.

"My name is Shuichi Minamino," he said brushing his lips over my hand. Hiei growled angrily and pulled me close to him, "Leave her alone fox, I saw her first." Hiei growled softly and then did something very surprising, he kissed me on the lips. For the next few seconds of my life, I was completely speechless. Then my voice came back at full force and I still couldn't do anything but stare into Hiei's crimson eyes. "Oh my god Zina, you know these guys!" Teffany exclaimed, "Why didn't you tell me about him?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Why did I kiss her? Was I getting jealous of Kurama? All I know is that I had made a huge mistake in even showing affection for her. She was still staring up at me with those confused brown eyes when her little friends arrived. " Who are you," the brunette asked," And why were you kissing Zina?" Just then, the bell rang and Zina finally broke out of her trance. " Which class are you in?" she asked softly. Kurama must have noticed the way I was glaring at him because he quickly helped Zina to her feet. "We are in 8D." I said curtly and as I walked away, I heard Kurama say: "That's Hiei for you, if he acts like he hates you then he really likes you." I had to resist the urge to throttle him and avoided everyone's questioning eyes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

That was enough excitement for today; I couldn't imagine how things could get any worse. Nevertheless, as usual, they did. I was minding my business in Ms. Parris's class when Mr. Neunie walked into class with Shuichi and Hiei behind him. I squeaked and buried my head in the book I was reading and refused to look at them. Unfortunately, my excellent hiding skills weren't working and the two hotties came to sit by Danielle, Khadine, and me.

Danielle and Khadine immediately gravitated to Shuichi's side leaving me relatively alone with Hiei. "Why do you look so angry?" I asked when Ms. Parris left the room. Hiei growled at me and I couldn't help grinning at him. "Come here." He growled and I walked over to him. Hiei smirked deviously at me before tugging me into his lap. "Now what were you saying koi?" He whispered his warm breath tickling my ear as his fingers linked with mine. I blushed bright red as Stephanie and Christina glared angrily at me.

"Why are you doing this? I don't have a clue who you are." I just had to ask. Hiei tipped up my chin and just when I thought that he was going to kiss me, he dropped me on the floor. "You bastard! How dare you drop me like that, when I get up I'm gonna wipe the floor with you." I shrieked at him. Hiei just sat there laughing his head off until I threw my book at him. "What was that for," he shouted at me," you take things too seriously." I glared up at him angrily but even my expert glaring skills were no match for his.

"You win. " I conceded, "Go ahead and humiliate me. " Hiei looked down at me and stopped laughing, "You really are weird." See now even the new guys in school call me weird, that's how bad it is. "Take it easy on her." Shuichi said, "She's not used to your personality yet." Hiei sighed and pulled me back into his lap as Ms. Parris walked back into class. " Fine, I'll be nice to you." He grumbled softly and as the bell rang, he kissed me on the cheek.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Zina is a very interesting female; she talks back with no fear. She has no clue that I could slice her into little pieces or else she would be so polite that it would be painful. " Uhh Hiei" she asked, "when are you gonna let me go, I have to go to class." I had been so deep in my thoughts that I didn't even notice that I was still sitting with Zina in my arms. Just then, Yusuke came strutting into the classroom and I quickly dropped Zina onto the floor. "It seems that you have gotten close to that girl." Yusuke teased," And boy is she a looker." "Buh-Bye Hiei, see you at lunch." Zina called out, "You are going to sit by me, right."

I couldn't help the blush that stole across my face and when I tried to hide, Yusuke caught me. "Is the great Hiei BLUSHING?" he shouted," Man you are whipped!" "Come on Yusuke, Zina is very remarkable.' Shuichi said, "but if you don't want her, I'll be more than happy to take her off of your hands." I turned to glare at my friend," You two idiots can just make fools of yourselves by chasing her." I growled and walked out of the classroom. I can't believe that I am getting so worked up over such a little girl.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I managed to get through computer with no problems and by lunch, I felt like I was on top of the world. That was until I sat down for lunch and Hiei sat next to me. "What are you doing!"? I squeaked as Hiei wrapped his arms around my waist. "Hello koi, did you miss me?" he said softly, "You wanna sit with me and Shuuichi?" I blushed and looked at Teffany for help. "Come on Zina-chan, you guys make the cutest couple!" she squealed happily. "At least let me introduce you to my friends. " I said as Hiei pulled me fully into his lap. "Nope, I can meet them later." He said softly as Carry walked up to us. "Zina finally got a boyfriend!" Carry squealed, "And he's so little!" Hiei glared at Carry but she didn't seem to notice. "Come on lets go outside." She said rudely interrupting us. "I'll see you when you come out side." I said kissing him lightly on the lips.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

What is wrong with me? Falling for a stupid human girl that can't even drive yet and then displaying all this emotion for her in front of all these people. As Yusuke would say, I'm whipped. I was sitting by Kurama pouting when he and Yusuke decided to drag me outside. "Zina and her friends are waiting for you," they said as they dragged me to where she was. "Hi Hiei!" she called out, "Did you miss me already?" I blushed as she walked over to Kurama and I and kissed each of us of the cheek. "Get your ass over here, we're gonna start the contest and we don't want Cherami to win." Zina smiled cheerfully and ran back to her friends, leaving us behind. "Admit it Hiei, you're falling for her." Kurama whispered into my ear as Yusuke found a seat near Zina's friend Carry. "So do you fox." I grumbled and reluctantly walked over to the loud crowd wondering half aloud, "Can this day get any worse?"