Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Life Through a Dragon's Eyes ❯ Chapter Two: School ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter Two: School
 
 
I wake up with my eyes still closed, reluctant to open them to officially say that I'm awake. I'll have to get up eventually I suppose. Now is as good a time as any. I open my eyes and sit up, seeing a pile of folded clothes at the foot of the bed. There's a note on them.
 
Armatage,
 
I asked Keiko and Botan, friends of ours, to go and find a school uniform for you. I hope it's to your liking. And yes, you do have to go to school with us, so go ahead and banish the thought from your mind. Don't worry;Koenma probably won't make you help us for too long. We might all go crazy.
 
Kurama
 
I put Kurama's note on the bed and unfold my new uniform.
 
"Ugh. I really have to wear a skirt in public? I don't know who to kill first Koenma or Kurama. I've never even worn anything besides pants and a shirt," I say to myself.
 
Nevertheless, I quickly put the stupid uniform on before I lose control of my temper and tear it apart. I walk out of my room and head for the front door where Kurama is already waiting.
 
"I take it that you're already angry," he says to me with that annoying all knowing smile of his.
 
"Don't push me today, and maybe only a handful of people will die," I reply.
 
He doesn't say anything back. I follow him out the door and we walk silently.
 
"You'll be going to school with Yusuke and Kuwabara. I'm only escorting you."
 
"Why? What's the difference between your stupid human schools?"
 
"We go to different school is all. Koenma thought it would be better if three of us were watching you rather than only one."
 
"Did you make Hiei go to school too?"
 
He chuckles as if what I said was funny. Humans are weird. They laugh at absolutely everything. It was a question. It wasn't meant to be funny.
 
"No, of course we didn't. There's no one in the world that could make him. I doubt if even Koenma could do that. He'll simply be watching from outside."
 
"So I guess it's safe to say that you definitely don't trust me?"
 
"You guess correctly."
 
"Have you ever thought of it this way? You don't trust me, and I don't trust you. But, none of us can trust each other if we don't give a reason as to why we should, or can be trusted."
 
"I suppose I haven't, but, then again, you can't easily trust someone who tried to kill you."
 
"You and your friends tried to kill me as well."
 
"We were told not to kill you, so either way, it's harder to trust you then it is for you to trust us."
 
"You would have killed me if you hadn't been told not to. Don't you dare say that you wouldn't have."
 
He is silent for a few moments, and then he just starts laughing again. What the heck is so funny to this guy? He's just as crazy as the rest of these stupid humans.
 
"You'd do just about anything to win wouldn't you?" He asks me with a laugh.
 
"Whether it's an argument or a battle, I really don't like to lose. I don't see what's so hilarious about that."
 
"I'm not sure either. It just struck me as being funny."
 
"Idiot," I say under my breath.
 
We continue walking. I'm bored of talking to him, so I listen as he explains what I should and should not do while I am at school with them. I've never been to school before. I've seen schools, but never have I set foot in one.
 
Finally, we get to our destination. Yusuke and Kuwabara are waiting in front, along with two other girls. I assume that the one with brown hair is this Keiko person Kurama's note spoke of. And I already know Botan.
 
"Hi, I'm Keiko Yukimura. It's nice to meet you," she says as she puts out her hand so I can shake it.
 
It's rather obvious that she's only being polite. She doesn't actually think it's nice to meet me. I don't blame her. I don't move, and she puts her hand down after another awkward silence.
 
"Hello Armatage. It's good to see you again," Botan says to me.
 
"You two have met before?" Yusuke asks.
 
"I suppose you could say that," I reply.
 
"How, we didn't even know who you were until about a month ago?" Kuwabara asks.
 
"It's none of your business, so forget about it."
 
Honestly, I've met Botan three times before now. The first was when she came to take the souls of my parents to Spirit World after they died. The second was when she had been waiting for me to die. The third time was when.....I don't like to think about what happened that night. Botan is the only one who knows about any of this. I made her swear never to tell anyone long ago.
 
"Forget it. Let's just get going already," Yusuke says as he walks to the school. Keiko and Kuwabara do the same.
 
I grumble about not wanting to and how stupid this is, but I follow him. How bad could a school be anyway?
 
I follow Yusuke into what he calls a "classroom" and I take a seat next to him. There are many humans here. Being around so many people makes me very tense.
 
An adult comes in . I think in schools they're called teachers. He takes out a few papers and begins to call out names. Each of the people around me responds when their name is called. He looks up and stares at me.
 
"You must be the new student I heard about," he says.
 
He stares at the list of names again and looks back up.
 
"Armatage Takashi, is that you?"
 
Takashi, that's the last name they gave me? Ugh, I don't even have a real last name. Yusuke stands up and speaks to the teacher.
 
"Yeah, that's her. She's my...cousin, and she has to stay with my family for a while," he says.
 
The teacher mumbles something that a human wouldn't hear. But, I'm not human, I hear him loud and clear.
 
"Another cockroach," he mumbles under his breath.
 
A cockroach; what does he mean by that? I decide that I already hate this human. I don't need a lot of reasons to hate people. Usually only one will do, calling me a cockroach for instance.
 
"That's Mr. Iwamoto. Watch out for him. He really hates me, which probably means he won't be too fond of you either," Yusuke whispers to me.
 
"Like I care if he hates me or not. What could he possibly do?" I whispered back.
 
I keep my mouth shut after that. Iwamoto talks and talks about things I honestly don't know, let alone care about. Finally, the stupid class ends at the sound of a very shrill sounding bell, and I follow Yusuke out of the room.
 
There are so many humans here. I feel sick just thinking about it. That familiar headache I seem to be developing returns. I ignore it for the moment, and just try to get through my first day masquerading as a human.
 
With every class I get through, I can just barely feel my wings, begging to be let loose so that I can take to the skies again. As the last bell finally rings and I follow Yusuke and Kuwabara out the door, I mentally celebrate the day's end.
 
"I'm going to go fly around for a while," I say as I walk ahead of them.
 
"Whoa, wait a minute. You can't do that here," Kuwabara says, stopping me.
 
"And why can't I? I won't run away or anything. I'm not stupid."
 
"Humans aren't exactly used to seeing dragons flying around," Yusuke replies.
 
"I hate this place. I should have stayed in Demon World."
 
"Shh. Quiet about that too," Yusuke tells me.
 
"Do humans know anything?" I say under my breath.
 
"Whatever. I'll just go back to Kurama's or something," I say as I continue to walk.
 
"Not by yourself," I hear a voice that didn't belong to Yusuke or Kuwabara.
 
I turn around, and of course I see Hiei. Ugh. I forgot about him. I wonder how long he's been watching anyway. Ah well. It's not important.
 
"So, I'm guessing that means you're coming with me, huh?"
 
"Hn," is all he says as he walks in the direction of Kurama's home.
 
As we walk, I stay completely silent, and so does he. With each passing step I feel even more hatred for not only him and the detectives, but all humans and demons. I just hate being with anyone. I want to be left alone again.
 
We reach Kurama's house, he greets us, well, Hiei really, at the door.
 
"I'm sorry I didn't come to escort you Armatage, but I had some important matters to attend to," he says, trying to make excuses.
 
He probably didn't have anything to do, but I don't really care at this point. My head is pounding too much for me to care. I push past him and head for my room. A woman says something to me, probably Kurama's mother, but I ignore her and close the door of my room behind me.
 
My head....why does it hurt so much? I feel so nauseated all of a sudden. Oh shoot, please tell me I'm not getting sick again. I drop to my knees and finally retch. I open my eyes which had been squeezed shut. It's blood. I threw up blood.
 
I really am sick again, just like before. No, not again. I must have been this way all these years. I never beat that wretched disease, it's just been dormant inside me the entire time.
 
"Oh God," I whisper as I feel my body begin to shake, "I'm going to die like the rest of them."
 
I remember what that sickness did to my people. You would be perfectly fine one day, and then the next you were suddenly coughing up blood. I should've recognized the signs before. Headaches, nausea, how could I have possibly been so stupid as to not have noticed?
 
On the outside, you couldn't tell if anyone was sick. But on the inside, their organs were literally liquefying, causing them to cough up blood. Everyone knew, it meant death to contract this disease. To the dragons, it was something so horrifying that we didn't even have a name for it.
 
I hear someone come in. It's Hiei and Kurama.
 
"Armatage....what's happened?" Kurama asks, kneeling down to get a better look at me.
 
Hiei simply stands there and watches me. What does he think I wonder? Another wave of nausea hits me hard and I retch again. With difficulty, I manage to stand up, and wipe the blood from my mouth with the back of my hand.
 
"A very good thing has happened, for you at the very least," I say as stare at the both of them.
 
"And what would that be?" Hiei asks quietly. I can almost hear a hint of curiosity in his voice.
 
"I'm dying," I whisper as my legs buckle beneath me. The wonderful peace that is unconsciousness takes me away before I even hit the floor.