Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Life Through a Dragon's Eyes ❯ Chapter Three: Ghosts of the Past ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Author's Note: If I don't mention that the person narrating this is anyone in particular, then that means it's Armatage. If I do, then it's that person. I just wanted to tell anyone who read this so they don't get confused or anything.
 
 
Chapter Three: Ghosts of the Past
 
 
::Botan's POV::
 
I just don't understand any of this. One minute I'm minding my own business, and the next I get a call from Kurama saying that Armatage is sick. This is terrible. There's no reason that she should be sick again.
 
I hurry to Kurama's house as quickly as I can. Everyone is already there. They have Armatage lying on a couch. She looks as if she's in a lot of pain, even though she's still unconscious.
 
"What happened to her?" I ask softly.
 
"I'm not really sure. Hiei walked with her on the way here after school. She didn't even talk to me. Armatage pushed past me and practically ran to her room. A few minutes later Hiei and I came in to make sure that she was alright, and there she was, on the floor. She threw up a lot of blood, but I think she'll be alright for now," Kurama answers.
 
I walk over to Armatage silently. They don't know the real story about her. Life has been so cruel to Armatage; nothing has ever been fair for her.
 
"I need to get some air," I tell them as I walk out the door and down the street.
 
"Will Armatage be alright Botan? She will, won't she?"
 
I turn around and see a sixteen-year-old boy behind me. He's not exactly ordinary though, he's a ghost after all.
 
"I don't know Sasuke. I really don't know," I reply.
 
(Sasuke's not really based on the Sasuke from Naruto....maybe a little. I just love the name though.)
 
"She's asleep right now. Can't I go talk to her just this once?" He asks.
 
"You know you can't Sasuke. That's part of her punishment for supposedly killing you. Armatage would be able to see you if Koenma hadn't made it so she can't anymore."
 
"Is it her punishment, or mine?"
 
"I know it's hard Sasuke, but that's what she asked for. For some reason or another, Armatage told me not to do anything to clear her name."
 
The boy is Sasuke Izumi, (see, I changed the last name). He and Armatage had been friends since they were eight years old. When they were thirteen Sasuke's brother tried to kill Armatage, but Sasuke got in the way, and was killed instead. I'm not sure why at all, but Armatage told me to make sure Koenma or anyone else never knows that it was Sasuke's brother that killed him, and not her. She has her reasons I suppose, but I don't think I'll ever understand them.
 
"It's still not fair,” he grumbles.
 
"I know that."
 
"Please Botan; just let me talk to her while she's still sleeping. Koenma never said anything about that. Don't ghosts do that all the time?"
 
I don't know why I bother to argue with Sasuke anymore. I know that his spirit will never rest until he knows for sure that Armatage is safe and will stay that way. It just goes to show you how strong their friendship is…or was.
 
"I just want....to let her know that I haven't left her alone. She's been alone for so long Botan. No one seems cares about her. Please," I hear him beg.
 
"Okay, but be quick alright."
 
"No problem, thanks!" I hear him call as he flies off in the direction we came in.
 
"You're not alone Armatage. I know a great boy that's been watching over you for the past three years without end. If no one else, Sasuke is truly your friend," I whisper to myself.
 
::Sasuke's POV::
 
I head back to Kurama's house the second I hear Botan's words. Sure, I've asked her before if I could talk to Armatage while she slept, but this is the first time she's actually given in.
 
Armatage never used to be the way she is now. She used to be kind, to me at least. We were best friends. When we met, she tried to hide the fact that she didn't have an actual home, but I figured it out eventually. So, for the five years after we met, she lived with my family in the only guest room we had. I don't know why Itachi hated her so much. He never found out that Armatage wasn't really human. Maybe he did and never told me.
 
(I know, I couldn't think of another name, it was a lot easier to just use the real Sasuke's brother's name. I feel so unoriginal now. Wah!!!)
 
Anyway, when I get there, Armatage is still asleep. That's good, I haven't missed my chance. I enter her dreams quickly, hoping that I won't get into trouble for this later.
 
There she is, just sitting there, staring out into empty space. Her back is turned to me.
 
“Armatage, it's me! I came to see you,” I say excitedly.
 
“Go away,” she responds, whispering so softly that I have to strain my ears to hear her.
 
I walk over to her, and bend down, trying to get her to look at me.
 
“Why would you want me to do that? We're best friends after all.”
 
“Go to your rest Sasuke. The living cannot remain friends with the dead. I'm surprised that you would even want to speak to me at all. It's my fault you're dead in the first place.”
 
“Tage,” I say in quiet surprise, using the nickname I used to have for her, “that's not your fault. Why would you blame yourself for such a thing?”
 
She looks away from me when I call her that. The expression on her face is a sad one, as if the simple nickname causes her physical pain. Has she been beating herself up about that for the past three years? None of it's her fault; it's Itachi's.
 
“Get away from me. I'm just bad luck Sasuke,” she finally replies.
 
“Tage, I haven't been away from you once since I died. I've gone wherever you've gone. You're not as alone as you think you are. I know you're not bad luck, otherwise I wouldn't have stayed by your side for so long. We're friends, we're supposed to stick together.”
 
I reach out to put my hand on her shoulder, but it passes right through her.
 
“You see,” I hear her say, and I look into her eyes. They hold an emotion I've never seen in them before: hopelessness.
 
“Friends are together when they are alive. Never when they are dead. You died Sasuke, a long time ago at that. Rest, for you own sake, just go to your rest as all spirits should.”
 
“Tage, please-“
 
“GO!” I hear her scream as I'm thrown out of her dreams and she wakes up.
 
Armatage opens her eyes, turns on her side, and immediately retches blood onto the floor.
 
“Tage, when did you get so bitter?” I say to myself as I leave.
 
::Armatage's POV::
 
He's been watching over me this whole time? Sasuke Izumi, such a sentimental fool. It's my fault that he's dead after all. Why would he even want to be near me? I'm going to die soon anyway. When that happens, Koenma will probably send me to hell or something. I don't care, it's probably what I deserve.
 
“How do you feel Armatage, any better?” I hear Yusuke ask.
 
“I just retched blood again. Do you think I feel better you stupid idiot?” I yell, frustrated.
 
“Are you sure that there's no way to cure whatever disease you have?” Kurama asks.
 
“If there is, I don't have a clue as to what it could possibly be. If you got this, then you died. We all knew that. I thought I was the only exception, but I guess I was wrong. It just took longer to kill me than it did all the other dragons.
 
“Aren't you frightened?” Hiei asks, trying to make me feel worse as usual.
 
“I believe that most aren't afraid of death itself. They are more of afraid of two things: How they will die, and what will happen to them after death. I have overcome my fears of both,” I respond.
 
I hear a ring. It's Yusuke's communicator. Koenma wants to see us, including me of course. What could he possibly want now of all times? I guess I'll know soon enough.
 
I follow the rest of them to Spirit World, and once again I am in front of Koenma. Only this time, I have to be on his side, and help with whatever he asks of me. Joy; that sounds like so much fun.