Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Life Through a Dragon's Eyes ❯ Chapter Four: Cause of Death or Reason to Live ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter Four: Cause of Death or Reason to Live
 
 
“You're sick again!” the Prince of Spirit World yells.
 
“Well, yeah. And don't worry, you're precious detectives can't catch my disease. Only the dragons were unlucky enough to not be immune to it,” I reply.
 
“That's where you're wrong Armatage,” Koenma says in a grave voice.
 
“What the heck do you mean by that? There were plenty of other types of demons around where all of us lived. Not one of them caught it. Maybe a human could catch it, but it's highly doubtable.”
 
“The epidemic that killed the dragons didn't just appear out of nowhere. Someone created the disease, and unleashed it on your people,” he whispers.
 
“What!” I scream in anger. “Who is this guy? I'll rip out his heart, I'll slice him to shreds, I'll torture him until he screams in unimaginable pain, and even then I won't stop until he feels the agony he caused my people!”
 
Yusuke and Kurama have to restrain my while I yell in uncontrollable rage. Grabbing my arms and holding me back for fear of me hurting Koenma to get the answers I want from him.
 
“His name is Kushin.” (It's one of the Japanese words for pain or something. They had more than one, so I just picked one at random. I found this Japanese to English translator on the internet, so that kind of helped a little.)
 
“Never heard of him; who is he?” Yusuke asks.
 
“Kushin is considered a genius among geniuses in Demon World. He's killed millions from all of the diseases he's concocted. And, he can make these diseases only affect a certain type of creature, such as a dragon, or in this case he has threatened to use one on the humans,” Koenma responded.
 
“Well, if he's so smart, then how come I didn't die like everyone else?” I ask.
 
“I'm not sure. The only thing we know is that he that unless you are delivered to him in the next seventy-two hours he'll unleash his disease on the Human World.”
 
Why me of all people? There's nothing special about me, there never was, and there never will be. I was always considered an average dragon. I can only be considered unique now because all of the other dragons are dead.
 
“We can't just turn her over to him like that!” Kuwabara exclaims.
 
“Yes, you can, and you will,” I say quietly.
 
“How the hell can you say that? You don't even know what he wants with you!” Yusuke asks.
 
“It's simple really; I'm already considered a menace in Human World. A demon wants me to come to Demon World so that he can most likely kill me for whatever reasons he has. If I do this, then it solves everyone's problems. Kushin won't unleash a deadly disease on the humans, and I'll be out of everyone's way. Everybody wins.”
 
“Sure, everyone wins if we're not counting you,” Hiei mutters just barely loud enough to hear.
 
“We could come with you if you wish. We could attack him when we get there,” Kurama suggested.
 
“Why do you even care? You all hate me.”
 
“Yeah, but we hate someone who's threatening to kill all humans with a stupid deadly disease more,” Yusuke says.
 
I find it odd that they would even offer to come with me at all. I'll never understand these people, not as long as I live.
 
“Thank you,” I say with difficulty, “but I will go alone. You should not involve yourselves in something that has nothing to do with you.”
 
“Are you sure Armatage? We can help you. You don't have to go through this by yourself if you really don't want too,” Koenma asks.
 
“I'm sure Koenma,” I say, my voice becoming barely more than a whisper.
 
Koenma sighs, a tired look on his face.
 
“Fine, Botan open up a portal to Demon World. Good luck to you Armatage.”
 
I follow Botan to where she has opened the portal. I stand there looking through it. It is my true home.
 
“Armatage, I don't understand why you want to go all by yourself. Kushin will most likely kill you. You know that, don't you?” Botan asks.
 
I allow myself a small smile.
 
“That's the point though. He'll kill me, and if he doesn't, then eventually I'll just kill myself. It has been three years since I have felt that I have an actual purpose in life, and I know I will most likely never feel that way again. Therefore, if one does not have a purpose, then what is their reason for living, fear of death perhaps? For those who continue to live for that soul reason, I pity them. I have eliminated all reasons to be afraid of anything from my mind. I am ready to die Botan. That is why I wish to go alone,” I reply.
 
“Sasuke cares if you die! He's been following you around for three years straight even though he doesn't have to! Do you at least care about that?” she yells angrily.
 
I walk towards the portal slowly.
 
“No, I don't,” I say as I walk through, the portal closing behind me.
 
::Botan's POV::
 
“What do you mean you don't care? You…you…I hate you Armatage!” I yell, even though she's already gone.
 
I feel a ghostly presence at my side. I don't have to look to know who it is.
 
“She didn't mean it,” he tells me simply.
 
“I don't know how you stood being friends with her for so long. She's just so….so…” I don't finish my sentence, being at a loss for the right word.
 
“Heartless?” he suggests.
 
“Yeah, something like that.”
 
“Armatage wasn't always that way, you know that. Right now, she just doesn't know what else to do with herself. If she believes that dying is what she should do, then she'll probably do it,” Sasuke says the last part with sadness in his voice.
 
“What will you do if she dies?”
 
“Stay with her I guess. We'll both be ghosts then.”
 
“You can't Sasuke. With all the things she's done over the past years, she'll probably be sent to hell. You don't deserve that, so you won't be.”
 
“Then where will I be sent?”
 
“Heaven, or some place where the souls of the good are sent I suppose.”
 
Sasuke stays silent, probably contemplating what I have just told him. I don't know what to do. Oh Armatage, why do you have to make such a kind boy worry about you like this? All he wants is to see you safe, and yet you still feel the need to throw yourself into danger.
 
::Sasuke's POV::
 
It makes sense now. If Armatage dies and is sent to hell, then I'll have no reason to stay a ghost.
 
“Rest, for you own Sasuke, just go to your rest as all spirits should.”
 
I remember her words. That's her plan. She's not doing this only for herself, but for me too. That's so like her. Tage is only acting selfish so not even Botan will figure it out.
 
“Botan, what if you got Koenma to tell the others just to follow Ta-, I mean Armatage, without her knowing?” I ask.
 
“Why would I want to do that?”
 
“Can you?”
 
“I might be able to, I don't know,” she replies.
 
“Ask him for me, would you?”
 
“Sure Sasuke, if you really think that'll help.”
 
I watch Botan walk back to Koenma's office. I can only pray that he says yes. I can't help Tage like this. But, the Spirit Detectives can…I hope.