Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Live Like You Were Dying ❯ Chapter 5 ( Chapter 5 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Hey there everyone- sorry for the delay in writing this chapter. I've been busy from the time I get up (at 5) to the time I go to bed (at 2). Plus my bro- Red Dragon is havin a minor surgery tomorrow and he's really high strung about it. So I won't be updating until around Tuesday or Wednesday.

I'm dedicating this chapter to my lil bro- Red Dragon, good luck tomorrow bro.

Reviewers~ thank you so much for the reviews…

Note:: I know almost nothing about Japanese hospitals so if I'm wrong please feel free to teach me. Also I don't know how long certain injuries heal so it may heal faster then others.

Note:: Also everyone that reviews please be sure to leave a email address (either by login in or writin it somewhere on the review). If ya like Hiei the slightest bit then I think ya'll like it.

Here's the next chapter. Hope ya like it…

X-X-X-

Sirens screeched as the ambulance raced away taking their friend further and further from his horrified friends. Now they knew that their friend's life was no longer in his or their hands any longer.

Already Hiei was chasing down the speeding metal box that carried his friend away. Kuwabara realizing that he was being left behind, ran after the ambulance trying desperately to catch up with it.

The carrot top knew that it was a useless task, but he desperately needed something- anything- to keep his mind going. He knew that if he were to stop moving then his thoughts would take over. And if they did then his deepest fears would start to plague him.

Gasping for more air Kuwabara kept running after the ambulance, aware that people were staring at him as though he was crazy. `The paramedics probably think that too,' Kuwabara thought, but he kept running for the sake of his mental health.

But Yusuke. Yusuke lowered his head and turned away from the ambulance, hospital and his friends. Tears built up in his eyes as he solemnly walked away. Away from everyone and everything that he cared about.

X-X-X-

Kurama's pale figure laid in the bed. His attractive red hair was no longer visible from its hiding place under the white bandages. His face looked like one of a sleeping babe. His arms were barely visible from all of the tubes that carried life saving drugs and blood.

Shiori sat in a small arm chair clutching a pale pink handkerchief in one hand and her son's frail hand in the other. She would never let go. Never.

Tears fell silently from her eyes as she stared at the face of her little boy. Shiori sat staring at the face before her, deep in slumber. `Is this truly the same child that used to run into my bed during thunderstorms? He has grown so much, and still he seems so innocent, so fragile.' The hurting mother laid her head gently on her sons chest. Smiling she closed her eyes, focusing solely on the rhythmic beat of the heart within the chest.

Kuwabara sat on the foot of Kurama's bed. His brown eyes blind to the emotional scene before him. For all he cared about was the tiny machine that sat to the sleeping lad's left. On it two lines raced across the screen, occasionally jutting up, just to fall back down again. No matter how hard he tried Kuwabara could not remove his eyes. Deep inside he was afraid to. Afraid that Kurama's heart would stop beating if he were to.

Hiei stood by the window staring out at the green scenery before him. Once again he caught himself wondering how could something so beautiful could be in such a dreary place. Why was it that inside this place seem so foreboding, yet outside birds sang praises and flowers bloomed showing all of their glory.

A light knock on the open brown door caused everyone to awaken from their daydreams, or day terrors. A young woman stood at the threshold staring at the boy that laid in the bed. Her long sand blonde hair was pulled into a tight bun held up by two pencils. Smiling sympathetically, the woman stepped in walking on tiptoes careful to not wake the slumbering boy.

With a quick bow of the head she knelt down to the distraught mother. These were always the hardest and most rewarding times in her career. It was always hard to lose someone so young, yet rare cases such as these made it worth while. This was why she had become a doctor. "Mrs. Minamino. Your son will be ok. The worst of his injuries is his head. And that only needed stitches. But we did have to shave the area around the cut on his head."

Kuwabara gasped when he heard that, tearing his eyes away from the monitor only long enough to look at his friend. `Such a peaceful look upon his face' he could not help but to think.

Blood rushed to Kuwabara's ears thumping loudly painfully as his eyes tore from the red head lying on the bed. Fear grabbed his heart with iron cold hands, he had not heard the tiny annoying beat of the monitor since looking away. Fear caused the blood to leave Kuwabara's head as he nervously tried to see the lines jut upward to the heavens again. Lightheadedness came up strong as he held his breath watching the two tiny lines race across the screen. `Please rise up. Please just fly to the heavens above again.' He pleaded silently.

The two tiny white lines closed in on the edge of the screen still refusing to rise up. Tears built up in the brown eyes that blamed themselves for looking away. It was his fault if they refused to jump for joy again.

The two lines slowly gave a tiny bound. But it was enough to give Kuwabara's heart the jump of joy. Refusing to let it happen again, the brown eyes set firmly on watching that monitor. `At least until Kurama awakens.'

The doctor gave Shiori a small hug of encouragement. Standing she said a quick prayer to the boy on the bed for a quick recovery. After all he was going to be here in this dreary place soon. His charts already showed no hope for the boy. He was just awaiting for his death sentence to be carried out, just like the common criminal.

But unlike the common criminal this boy had family and friends who would stand beside him, holding his hand until the last second.

X-X-X-

A Couple of Days later

Kurama sat in the hospital bed. His short hair was hiding underneath a Sidewinders Baseball cap. Also hiding underneath the cap was the bald patch and stitches on the back of his head. Kurama looked through an old magazine. The only reading material that the nurse had been able to find that was not meant for a woman. Though she had promised to sneak out on her lunch break and get him something better.

A light chuckle escaped from his thin lips. This cheerfulness that he felt could not be contained. For some reason Kurama felt at peace. Tomorrow he would be leaving this place. Much to the protests of his mother, friends, doctors, and nurses. His green eyes looked at the wall ahead as he addressed it. "Maybe even the housekeepers, if they were to care." But Kurama just could not spend another day here. He knew deep down that when his time was nearing its end he would be here plenty. But for now Kurama could go on with his life.

A shuffle at the door jarred the teen from his thoughts. Another light chuckle escaped his throat as he watched the florist trip over his feet. In his hands he carried a large flower arrangement which blocked his view. Gently he placed it on a small table ignoring the groans of protest that it gave.

The florist turned to the smiling boy and gave a quick bow, "Thank you! I'm here all week for your entertainment." Looking around he asked casually, "So how much longer do I have to deliver flowers to this room. Because I swear this room has it in for me." Laughing he threw a hand behind his head.

Kurama could not help but to laugh, the florist was right. Every time he delivered an arrangement he would trip at the same spot. "Till tomorrow."

Nodding the florist left tossing a quick goodbye over his shoulder.

Kurama's stomach knotted up as he stared at the arrangement ahead of him. It looked too much like a wake arrangement. Closing his eyes he threw the magazine over his face trying to block out such thoughts. How could anyone get such an arrangement for him. All it needed was a sash that said `Rest In Peace.' Shuddering Kurama slowly rolled over his pale face warming in the sun light.

Well maybe that arrangement was what he needed. Especially for whenever his mother came back. For that would be the true test of love. This would answer all the questions that the cold Youko had wondered for a long time. Was love truly the strongest emotion? Today Kurama would find out.

X-X-X-

OMG! This was just too freaky of a chapter to write. I think I almost erased the entire thing about three times. Just too many times being in a hospital I guess. I swear I think I spend most of my time there- visiting people. I think this one came out as a filler, darn. Oh well review if ya feel like.

Hmm, I have a feelin that this is going to be a little longer then first expected. Good old short attention span went and changed some of the story line ::smacks her head:: Bad head ya just made me write more. Bad!