Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Lost and Found: Love ❯ Yusuke vs. Akita; Akita's Haunting Past ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A Past Love

Chapter 4: Yusuke vs. Akita; Akita's Haunting Past

by AngelK

Author's Note: This is my first Yu Yu Hakusho story I've written. I like comments and suggestions/criticism. But, if you don't like this story as you read it, it's kind of pointless just to tell me how much you hated it and how terrible I am. So, I want a reason for why you dislike it so much if you do. If you see a problem with it, state it. Otherwise, enjoy yourself. If you wouldn't mind, a review would be nice.

Disclaimer: This is a story based upon characters of Yu Yu Hakusho. It is for entertainment purposes only.

Special note: This note is related to this particular chapter only. This will mean more once you read the following chapter. Yusuke is still weak from the Makai Tournament.

"Whoever goes down first loses. No stakes; just a good clean fight. Ready?" Akita asked, taking a fighting stance.

"Yup. I won't hold back one bit!" Yusuke exclaimed. He rushed at Akita.

"Jeez, it's just about impossible to keep up with them. They're moving so fast...it's like a blur." Kuwabara commented in amazement as the two fighters traveled around rapidly.

"Akita's blocking every hit from Yusuke," Hiei stated.

"Although, she can't win without counterattacking," Kurama said as he watched the pair.

"Yusuke, don't take this personally but an actual attack might be more amusing. This whole punching thing just isn't working for me," Akita admitted, grinning.

"Then take this! Spirit Gun!" A sphere of energy almost collided with Akita's face.

The demon bent at an impossible angle and elbowed Yusuke hard in the stomach. She then flipped backwards to miss any more punches. Akita back-tucked in the air so that she landed on a wide tree branch, balancing easily upon the pads of her feet.

"Shot Gun!" Multiple energy blasts were fired from Yusuke's fist.

Akita drew her sword in an instant and deflected the energy blasts while guarding herself. "Really, Yusuke, you can do better." She jumped from the tree and shot towards Yusuke amazingly fast. "Twin Dragons!" Akita thrust her arms forward.

Two dragons went for Yusuke; one a flaming red and the other was an icy blue. The Spirit Detective immediately protected himself with a barrier of spirit energy.

The dragons struggled against the barrier, finally deflecting themselves off and returning to their mistress.

Akita used her arm to stop her fall and landed on her feet. She then went at Yusuke again, her sword pointed at him. "I have you now, Yusuke!"

"Shot Gun!" Yusuke exclaimed, attacking once more with his multiple gun blasts.

Akita's eyes widened. She knew she couldn't possibly stop at this close range nor dodge.

"No! Akita!" Hiei shouted.

With demonic speed that could rival Hiei's, the female demon re-sheathed her sword and formed two balls of energy around her fists. She punched them both forward at the same time. "Energy of the Abandoned!"

The blasts made contact with their targets.

Akita was thrown back against the tree, knocking away her breath for a moment. As she slid down the tree's length, Akita thrust her sword towards the tree, catching some bark, momentarily stopping her fall and giving her time to get a breath. She dropped to the ground and did not move. Her sword fell next to her.

Yusuke caught the energy in the stomach. He tumbled backwards until he skidded to a stop.

"I believe it's a draw." Kurama declared after looking at both sides of the battlefield.

"I agree," Hiei said before he rushed over to Akita.

"Urameshi, are you okay?" Kuwabara asked.

Yusuke pushed himself off of the ground, breathing heavily. "Bruised and probably bleeding but otherwise, I'm just fine."

Hiei picked up Akita. "What in the world do you think you're doing? Trying to get yourself killed?!?!"

Akita half-smiled. "Never, Hiei. It would worry you too much. I'm just sparring the way that I like to. No...holding...back...." Akita's head tilted to the side. She had lost consciousness.

"You're a little fool." Hiei muttered as he picked up her sword and placed it back into its sheath.

"Is Akita all right? I didn't mean to be so rough on her but she said for me not to hold back." Yusuke tried to feebly explain.

"She's fine. Just some bruises and cuts that will heal in a few days. She's not more worse off than you are," Hiei reassured the Spirit Detective.

"I'm glad to hear it. I think I'm going to go and take a nap right now. I'm exhausted. All those video games must've tired me out." Yusuke murmured and Kuwabara helped him back to the house.

"Put her to bed. I'll bring her some tea with healing herbs. I will be preparing Yusuke some as well. They can't afford to be in any unhealthy condition, no matter how minor," Kurama stated as he walked alongside Hiei towards the house.

Hiei went inside, leaving Kurama in the kitchen as he headed upstairs. He deposited Akita on the bed and went into the bathroom. He showered and re-entered the room, towel drying his hair. He froze.

Akita was examining herself in front of the mirror. She flexed her limbs, wincing. Her fight with Yusuke hadn't been so terrible. It had unfortunately opened wounds that she had hoped had healed. The bruises burned.

"Akita..." Hiei murmured.

The mixed breed turned and quickly turned away as she hurriedly pulled on her shredded clothes, grimacing with each movement. She bit her lip hard, drawing a few droplets of blood as she tried to cover up her show of weakness and vulnerability.

Hiei took a step forward.

"Don't come any nearer!" Akita cried out, panicking.

The Koorime strode forward and took her into his arms. "You said you didn't have any wounds besides the one on your head."

"These aren't wounds. They're bruises." Akita corrected, trying her best to force a smile.

"Akita...I'm going to bandage these for you."

The half-Koorime instantly drew back. "No. I won't let you do that..."

"You will," Hiei ordered.

"No! They'll heal. They're nothing at all. I don't want any bandages for them," Akita said softly.

The Koorime seized Akita's wrist.

Akita forced her fist in her mouth to stop her cry.

Hiei turned her arm over to see the source of the blood. There was a small yet deep cut across the vein on the underside of her wrist. His eyes widened and he quickly pulled her other hand from her mouth and turned that one over as well.

Both bore identical cuts.

"They slit your wrists?!" Hiei then slid the ragged cloth from her left shoulder. The skin was raw from a burn.

"They burned much of the left side of my body as well. They left the chest area, and the lower and upper abdomen alone for the most part. Specific spells used on ice demons." Akita choked on a sob.

"That's why you changed into that scented kimono before you let Kurama examine you. You knew it would conceal the smell of your blood. Akita, damn it, no one can help you if you try so hard to conceal your weaknesses..." Hiei muttered angrily.

"Enemies use your weaknesses to their advantages. I can't risk doing that ever again," Akita said, burying her face into her hands.

Hiei took her by the shoulders. "Don't you realize we aren't your enemies?! We aren't going to hurt you!" He shook her to punctuate his statement. The Koorime then placed her back into bed under the covers. Hiei kissed her swiftly and then he released her and went to the door. "I'm going to get you those bandages. Kurama will be up to heal as much damage as he can. Don't do anything stupid."

***

Akita sat on the bed with her back to Kurama as he bandaged her remaining wounds and bruises.

Kurama was surprised to find so many bruises that hadn't been detected. After he was through bandaging, he stood. "You're angry with Hiei, aren't you?"

"Of course I am. He can't order me around like some slave!" Akita exclaimed.

"He did it for your own good. None of those bruises would've healed on their own. They were specifically inflicted and because of the time that was lost because of the Spirit Killer's effects, you would've been like that for some time." The redhead went to the door and turned the knob. "Drink that tea I made for you. The healing effects will take root immediately."

"Kurama? Can you do something for me? Hand me that cloak there." Akita requested, gesturing to the windowsill where a black cloak lay discarded.

Kurama brought the garment over and settled it onto Akita's thin frame.

His half-sister gripped the material in her tightly closed fists.

"Akita, it really isn't necessary for you to be alone anymore. Hiei...he wants to be with you. He wants to worry and take care of you like he should have those years ago. Please, allow him to. That's all I ask," Kurama completed as he walked out of the room, closing the door behind himself.

The kitsune stood outside the door for a moment. He heard heavy breathing and then a sob. The sob was followed by anguished cries that were muffled somehow. Those cries had been held inside of her for too many years. Too many sad and lonely years in the life of an orphan who had no one who she could nor would depend on.

***

When Hiei came back upstairs later, Akita was under the covers, asleep. He approached the bed and looked at her. Her face was bathed in pale moonlight and she looked beautiful. Hiei smiled faintly.

".....Mother...Father...please..." Akita murmured.

Hiei looked at her in surprise and his eyes widened when he saw tears trailing down her cheeks.

Akita had dreamt this dream many times before. It was always the same...

***

"Please, Miya, hide Akita away. Kaemon will be coming soon. I want our child to be safe," The man spoke. He had red colored eyes. His hair was thick and black and he was of average height.

"Kano...what if something happens? Who will take care of Akita then?" Miya held a small, thin girl in her arms. The young woman had silver hair and black eyes.

"Your half-brother, Atashi, will take her in. He vowed to be the child's guardian if anything ever happened..." Kano trailed as he went through his many handmade swords. "Ah, here it is. Little Sword, this will be your treasure someday when you learn to wield it." The Koorime held up a sword within a silver sheath. He placed it in Akita's outstretched fingers.

"Kano! Our daughter will not be a master of sword technique like you. Besides, she's so small and fragile. She shouldn't have a sword, especially that one..." Miya objected fiercely.

"My love, Akita was special. We knew that the day she was born. She will be an excellent swordswoman. This one is to be hers. When Akita grows up and eventually masters her attacks, this sword will aid her... Miya, he's upon us... Please, I beg of you. Take Akita away from here," Kano exclaimed.

Miya quickly left the room and went straight to Akita's bedroom. With motherly tenderness, she tucked her child into bed with care.

Akita looked up at her mother, clutching the silver sheath in her hand. She yawned and smiled contentedly.

Miya sat on the bed and took her daughter's slim fingers into her own. She squeezed the child's hand. "I don't want to lose you, Little One. I prayed that I would bear a daughter after I had my son. I'm sorry, my darling. I can't stay with you. When you are older and start to grow up, do not hold our actions against us. Your father will fight. If he dies, I will be at his side. We will always be together... Please, my little Akita, when things quiet down, take all of what is left. Your father and I give everything to you." Miya fought tears as she kissed her daughter's forehead. She stood and went to the door. "One day, you'll meet Youko. And, you'll meet your soul mate. Please, sleep peacefully, Little Sword. Your father and I will someday come back for you." She left the room, locking the door before she closed it.

Akita slept for a short time until she woke to the sounds of screams.

"Please, don't... No!" A male's voice cried out.

"You don't have a say in the matter, Kano. Now, die like a good little boy," Another voice commanded sarcastically. The sound was cold and cruel.

"Rose Whip Lash!"

"Vines of Death!"

Akita burrowed underneath the covers, clamping her hands over her ears.

Much later, there was silence.

Akita crept out of her room, her sword in hand. It was heavy yet she clutched it tightly. The child slunk down the hall, blending with shadows. Finally, when she was sure that this "Kaemon" her parents had mentioned was nowhere in sight, she returned to the room where her parents' voices had come from.

The child opened the door and entered the room, stepping on something cold and clammy. She instantly jumped back, reaching to wipe her foot. She stopped.

A shadow cast nearby.

"Father..." Akita knelt beside her father's blood-soaked body... no...it was a corpse. There was no pulse. Akita fought tears as she looked at the being's bloody hand he was clutching. "Mother..." The child wiped futilely at her tears.

"Do not weep for them. They were weak. They lost their lives as they should have." A bitter voice commented.

Akita's eyes locked upon the one called Kaemon.

"Little girl, is that the Death Sword you clutch so tightly? Now, be a good little girl and give me that sword," The demon beckoned.

Akita held the sword tightly. "No."

"Excuse me, perhaps I misinterpreted your answer. But, you didn't say 'no', did you?" Kaemon asked as he took a step closer.

Akita jumped and brought her sword down upon the demon's shoulder as hard as she could. "I said 'no'."

"Brat! You've made a mistake." Kaemon shot towards her.

Akita sliced through the air as hard as she could. Her eyes were tightly shut and she heard Kaemon scream.

"Hear this, Death Child. I will come back and take your life. I will continue taking the lives of all whom you love. Your mate. Your family. Your friends. All of them will die because of you. Until you die, none of them will be safe..." His presence disappeared and Akita opened her eyes.

His arm lay at her feet. She had sliced it through. Death Child...what did he mean? Akita looked longingly at her parents. She should give them proper burials. The way the child wanted to do it was to bury them near their house. And that was what she'd do.

***

The mixed breed threw dirt as she dug. Her parents' bodies were prepared to be buried. She had cleaned them up as best as she could. Tears stung her eyes as she continued digging. "This will do. They'll be able to be side-by-side even in death." Akita had already completed a makeshift coffin which she pushed into the hole. She had built it from fresh cut trees and lined the inside with cloth and flowers.

The seven-year-old placed them in, struggling under the weight of her parents' large bodies. She kissed them each once and closed the lid. Akita reburied the coffin. She wiped her brow when she was through.

Akita reentered the house for the last time. She gathered her belongings and anything that held any value to her. She had nothing more than a pack and a blanket. Anything that she might need in case of problems, she put in a large wooden box and buried that on top of her parents' coffin.

"Yup, that about sums it up." Akita swung her pack up onto her shoulder. She lit a torch and dropped it in the middle of the floor. The flames moved quickly, spreading all over.

Soon, Akita stood outside. Her former home was in flames, burning slowly. She knelt, placing two bouquets of flowers on the fresh soil that would now house her parents for an eternity. The young demon then stood and slowly walked away into the woods. "Farewell, Mother and Father..."

***

The demon jolted out of her sleep, dripping in sweat. That would always haunt her. She froze. The scent of blood hung in the air.

Akita quickly stood and left her bedroom. She walked down the hall and stopped. The Koorime-kitsune walked into the bedroom to find Yusuke on the floor, surrounded by a pool of his own blood. His throat was slashed. She slowly backed away, shaking in fear.

Something gripped her ankle. She looked downward to find Kuwabara, spewing blood from his mouth. "Stop him, Akita..."

"Kuwabara! Is...there anything I can..." Akita stopped. She knew it was useless. There was nothing she could do.

The mixed breed raced from the room. She ran to the attic to find Kurama dead. A rose lay near his blood-soaked fingertips. She knelt momentarily, trying to stop her crying. Akita lifted Kurama's head into her lap, cradling him. "Sleep in blissful peace..."

"Crying over corpses? I warned you. I told you this would happen." A voice stated.

"Show yourself!" Akita demanded.

A creature stepped from the shadows. It was Kaemon.

"Why? Why have you done this?!" Akita exclaimed.

"I promised you...Death Child. Here...take this as my token of sorrow. Your mate..." Kaemon threw a corpse near her.

The black hair....the dark cloak...the white bandana... "Hiei..." Akita forced the word from her trembling lips.

Nothing filled her ears but cold and cruel laughter.

"HIEI!!!!"

***

"Akita!"

The female demon was shook roughly awake. "Kaemon!"

"Stop! It was only a dream!"

Akita opened her eyes. Kuwabara was near the door. Yusuke was pacing at the foot of the bed. Kurama was standing beside the bed. Hiei was hunched over her, his eyes staring deeply into hers.

"Are you okay?" Yusuke asked worriedly.

"You're alive... You're all okay!" Akita exclaimed with relief.

"Of course we are. Why wouldn't we be?" Kuwabara asked.

"I thought....Kaemon...he...killed all of you...." Akita murmured.

"I think she'll be all right. You can all go and get some rest," Hiei suggested.

"We'll discuss everything tomorrow. Pleasant dreams, Akita." Kurama took her hand and kissed it.

Yusuke and Kuwabara said their good night's and left the room.

Akita looked up at Hiei. "What happened?"

The Koorime seated himself on the bed. "I found you sleeping. You were muttering in your sleep. When I came back about a half hour later, you were struggling in your sleep. You called out many times for your parents. The others came up when they heard all the noise. Were you dreaming? Was it a nightmare?" Hiei asked.

"A reoccurring nightmare. I dream of the day my parents died...and then..." Akita stopped as she put her hand out to touch the Koorime's face. Her fingers hesitantly rested on his cheek.

Hiei covered her hand with his own. "What?"

"You're really alive..." Akita murmured, her hands trembling.

"Why wouldn't I be?" Hiei asked quizzically.

"Kaemon swore he'd kill you...all of you... Kurama, Yusuke, and Kuwabara. And the last thing I remembered is I saw you...dead..." Akita collapsed into Hiei's arms. Shuddering tears fell and she sobbed without shame.

Hiei stroked her back as she cried. He cradled her and kissed her head. "Never....nothing will separate me from you. Not even death... I will always be with you. By your side, walking the path that life takes us on. I will always be here to hold your hand and be yours to have... No one will ever kill me. So, don't be afraid. Whoever this Kaemon is, nothing he says can mean anything. He's in your past... Memories cannot hurt you or the ones you love physically. Let's go to sleep now, alright, my love?" Hiei asked as he continued to stroke her back.

"I'll dream if I sleep. I can't go to sleep... at least not tonight." Akita said.

"Then, I will stay awake with you. I'll protect you with my sword and my life. I am yours...and, I hope you know that you are mine. I will let no one else harm you in any way." Hiei vowed.

Author's Note: Please review or give me input somehow.... you know the drill.

Special note: This pertains to this particular chapter. The reason that Yusuke doesn't defeat Akita instantly is because he still hasn't completely recovered from the Tournament. In any other case, Yusuke, if at full strength, could have beaten Akita whether or not she was in perfect fighting condition.