Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Lost and Found: Love ❯ Sakamoya's Downfall; Akita's Recovery ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A Past Love

Chapter 3: Sakamoya's Downfall; Akita's Recovery

by AngelK

Author's Note: This is my first Yu Yu Hakusho story I've written. I like comments and suggestions/criticism. But, if you don't like this story as you read it, it's kind of pointless just to tell me how much you hated it and how terrible I am. So, I want a reason for why you dislike it so much if you do. If you see a problem with it, state it. Otherwise, enjoy yourself. If you wouldn't mind, a review would be nice.

Disclaimer: This is a story based upon characters of Yu Yu Hakusho. It is for entertainment purposes only.

"Hey there, Kurama. Is she alright? Why isn't she awake?" Yusuke asked as he and Kuwabara approached quickly.

"Her energy is weak, Urameshi. I can feel it." Kuwabara said as he stood next to Kurama while Yusuke looked at Akita from all angles.

"Kurama, your antidote didn't-"

"It will take affect soon, Yusuke. She's just been without enough life energy to be stronger. When I found her, her heart was barely beating. If we had come tomorrow, she would've been dead," Kurama confessed.

Both Yusuke and Kuwabara looked stunned.

"Are all of the demons here dead?" Kurama asked.

"As dead as we can make them without removing their inner organs. Only Sakamoya and his few bodyguards are left." Yusuke explained.

"Well, let's go and watch, shall we?" Kurama asked.

***

Hiei sliced through the last of Sakamoya's bodyguards emotionlessly. He pointed his blade at Sakamoya. "You are last to taste defeat, Sakamoya. I will enjoy the time in killing you."

"Spheres of Hell!" Red flaming spheres flew at Hiei from Sakamoya's open hands.

The Koorime did not move. His ki flared and a barrier protected him. "Do you think your pathetic attacks will stop me? If so, you are a fool."

"Who said I was aiming for you?" The demon lord began to laugh.

Hiei turned and immediately saw Kurama and Akita, accompanied by Yusuke and Kuwabara.

The ningen immediately stood in front of the trio and destroyed the fireballs with his sword, knocking them towards the walls. They fizzled out uselessly.

"This is the end for you." Hiei stated simply.

Sakamoya collapsed to the ground, quivering in fear. He looked up at the Koorime in fear.

In the blink of an eye, Hiei was pulling his sword from the demon's chest. Another moment and Sakamoya's head was detached from his body. He looked over at Kurama.

The redhead smiled.

Yusuke flashed him a thumbs-up.

"Nice job, Shorty." Kuwabara commented.

Hiei hurried to Kurama. He was no longer the tense, bloodthirsty, and vengeful fighter. He smiled lightly as he relieved Kurama of Akita's body. The Koorime cradled his love tenderly, kneeling on one knee.

"Hi...ei?"

Kuwabara looked at the girl, shocked.

Yusuke's eyes widened.

Kurama just continued to smile.

"I...didn't die... I knew...you'd be...waiting for me...to have me...like this..." Akita's voice was no louder than a cracked whisper. "I'm sorry...to have...worried..."

Hiei shushed her gently. "It doesn't matter now. You're alive...that is all I care about."

Akita smiled faintly.

"Aw, just kiss her already!" Yusuke exclaimed, chuckling.

"Yes, do." Kurama said with a wide grin.

"Oh jeez..." Kuwabara trailed.

Hiei did not need any more encouragement. He lowered his face to Akita's. His lips were on hers in less than a moment, caressing them gently with his own lips. Their breath intermingled effortlessly and Hiei could taste her. He stopped the kiss after a few moments, brushing her forehead with his lips.

"You've never kissed me like that before..." Akita said softly.

"Well, you never had me that worried." Hiei retorted.

Akita laughed lightly. "Perhaps, you need to be worried more often. I would enjoy kisses like that."

"As a lover, I can try. But..." His voice trailed off. As your soul mate...I promise to worry. After I'm through worrying, I'll want to always kiss you like that. He then stood, lifting her ever so slightly so her face was nearer. He claimed her lips again.

"Let's go. I'm sure you want to go home and get all nice and cozy together. But, try and keep it down enough so that the three of us can sleep." Yusuke joked.

"Definitely, I'm exhausted. Can we just go to Akita's house then?" Kuwabara asked, yawning.

Hiei...you promised. So, I suppose you'll keep that promise?

My vow that you would never sleep after this without me beside you? You'll see when we return home.

Akita nodded and closed her eyes, snuggling against Hiei's body.

***

Yusuke and Kuwabara had already passed out, taking the two spare bedrooms. Kuwabara had happily taken Hiei's room after Hiei had moved his things into Akita's room.

Akita was tucked safely under the bedcovers, resting on her right side.

Hiei stood outside the room, beyond the closed door while Kurama sat at Akita's bedside.

"Kurama...thank you. I love you, my brother..."

The redhead took her hand in his and squeezed it lightly. "You had us all worried. If something had happened to you, Hiei would have gone berserk. Sleep well and dream peacefully knowing your love is beside you, your brother is watching, your friends are near, and your life is safe." Kurama kissed her forehead before he bid her good night.

Hiei re-entered the room. He removed his cloak and settled it over Akita. He then took off his shirt and joined her in bed, holding her tightly to himself.

"Hiei?"

The Koorime had his face buried deeply into her hair. He breathed in.

"Hiei..."

"Yes?"

"Thank you...for saving me."

"I wasn't the one who saved you in the end. Kurama was the one who saved your life." Hiei said; he was still able to smell the scent of her blood from the wound on her scalp. The wound had stopped bleeding and Kurama had begun to heal it. Akita had objected. She wanted to have it heal naturally. Hiei knew it would scar; it would be a reminder to him.

"But...you killed Sakamoya. I'm free from him now." Akita turned her body slightly in order to kiss Hiei.

The Koorime met her, fiery passion flowing through the connection of their locked lips.

After the kiss, Akita's head settled into the hollow of Hiei's neck. She cuddled against him.

For a moment, Hiei thought she had fallen asleep. He brushed her fingertips under the covers and her fingers immediately weaved their way into his hand. "Why aren't you asleep?"

Akita rolled onto her right side so Hiei couldn't see her face. "...you'll go away again."

Hiei paused for a moment, thinking of what to say. "Akita...I didn't want to leave you. Akita... Look at me."

Akita did not respond at all. She would not speak nor look at him. Her mind was completely closed to him.

The Koorime sighed in defeat as he rolled onto his back. "I left to protect you. Sakamoya's men were looking for you about six years ago. They tracked me for three of those years after I left you. If I had stayed with you, I would've only endangered you... I never wanted to stay away. I knew if I returned that you would have faced danger if I was with you. Akita...please, don't look like that. The only time I could look upon your face without fear was when I saw you through my Jagan. I'm telling you the truth, so, please, believe me. I didn't want you to be in pain. I wanted you to have happiness."

"Was mourning the loss of you what you consider happiness? Or the loneliness and sadness of knowing you wouldn't return to me no matter how hard I tried? Are those what you consider happiness? It wasn't... Nothing from that time was happiness. I only knew pain and suffering." Akita tried to quiet her crying. She willed herself not to cry aloud.

A hand brushed her tears away with tenderness and gentleness. It paused, stroking her cheek and it cupped her chin before it reluctantly left her.

Akita slowly turned to face him again; tears still forming in her eyes.

"I always have made you cry. I hated myself for that. To be so sad as to cry when at the sight of someone... Akita, answer me truthfully. Do you hate me because I make you cry?" The Koorime would not make eye contact with her.

Akita could not read his thoughts. They were scrambled, mixed together, and somehow broken. There was regret... sadness. "Is that what you think? That... that I hate you?"

Hiei nodded. Suddenly, weight hit his chest, arms encircling him into an enveloping embrace of warmth.

"I-I-I... I could never hate you, Hiei..."

He could feel her tears slowly sliding down his skin as she buried her face into his chest. Hiei tightened the embrace, one hand stroking her hair. "Coming from you... it must mean you love me very much. Well, I love you just as much if not more..."

Soon, Akita was asleep in Hiei's arms.

***

When Hiei opened his eyes, it was still dark out. The space beside him was empty and the covers had been tucked around him.

"Akita!" He panicked instantly at the fact that Akita was gone once more. Hiei could sense that she was still somewhere nearby. He left the room and went down the hall, the presence growing stronger.

The Koorime continued past the heavy snoring and went through the door at the end of the hall. He slowly walked up the stairs and saw Akita with her head leaning against the window in peaceful slumber. She was wrapped in Hiei's black cloak and a discarded blanket lay at the top of the stairs.

Hiei didn't have the heart to lift her up and carry her back to the warm bed, in chance of disturbing her sleep. He picked up the blanket and slowly and silently walked over to Akita. The Koorime sat down beside her. Carefully, he nudged nearer, pulling her closer to him until he wrapped his arms around her. He draped the blanket over her, covering his body with it as well. His cloak had kept her body warm. He was glad for that. He closed his eyes and went to sleep once more.

***

The Koorime woke again with the sun's rays just beginning to paint the sky. Akita was still soundly asleep.

Hiei smiled at her peaceful features and tenderly kissed the area behind her ear.

Akita shivered lightly.

"Want to go back downstairs? It's warmer down in bed. Yes? Well, let's get downstairs." Hiei lifted the girl with ease, blanket and all. "You need more nutrition...you'll fade away soon." He went to the stairs and returned to their room and tucked her in bed before laying beside her and pulling the covers up.

***

Yusuke peeked into Akita's room on his way to shower. He smiled at what he saw.

Akita was curled up slightly, wrapped in Hiei's cloak, half-smiling in her sleep.

The Koorime had his arms wrapped snugly around Akita's lower abdomen, his face buried into her dark hair. He had her pulled tightly to his chest.

"Just like they should be," Yusuke commented.

"I agree completely." Kurama said, surprising Yusuke from behind. "Let us give them some privacy." The redhead closed the door quietly.

"You're happy for Hiei and Akita, aren't you?" Yusuke asked as he observed Kurama.

"Naturally. Aren't you?" Kurama asked as he headed down the hall towards the staircase leading to the first floor.

Yusuke smiled as he continued on his way to the shower.

***

Later that morning, Akita slowly woke. She opened her eyes, blinking to get used to the light. She stretched her arms and went to sit up when she felt a strong pair of arms holding her. The half-breed turned slightly and felt Hiei's warm breath against her cheek. "Hiei love..."

The Koorime did not stir. He breathed in and out in a slow rhythm.

Akita nudged him slightly. "Aren't you going to wake up?" After a few more moments, she sighed in defeat. She stroked the side of his face with gentle fingers, occasionally kissing him with soft touch.

"Akita...is that you?" Hiei asked, keeping his eyes shut.

"No, my love. It's Kuwabara..."

Hiei opened his eyes with reluctance. "Oh, is that so?"

Akita pressed herself against him. She ran a slender finger down the side of his neck and kissed the skin covering his Adam's apple, the tip of her tongue lingered for a few moments. "You taste so sweet, Hiei." With eyes closed, she nuzzled him and let her head rest on his shoulder.

"Did you stay warm? Are you feeling weak? You should probably eat..."

"Don't fuss so much over me. I'll be fine. Yes, I stayed quite warm. Your cloak is very cozy. A good cup of herbal tea will do me some good. Otherwise, I'm just fine. Please, don't worry about me." Akita said softly, stroking Hiei's cheek with a small smile.

"But, Akita-" Hiei began.

A finger went to his lips. "No 'buts' out of you."

The Koorime kissed her finger before it could drop and gathered her fingers into his. "Let's see if Kurama will make you some strong herbal tea. Now, no objections. If I'm not to worry, which I still will, you aren't to object, but you will."

Akita giggled as she kissed his cheek and he helped her out of bed. She was slightly wobbly but took no extra guidance he offered. Akita stubbornly refused, only allowing him to hold her hand and nothing else.

They took to the stairs, hand in hand. Every now and then, Akita would tremble and Hiei finally placed her hand on his arm as he helped her down the stairs. "After Kurama makes you some tea, you're going straight back to bed. You're straining the way it is. Your body is exhausted even if you won't admit it."

"You just want to sleep some more. Just promise me that Yusuke can spar with me before he leaves. He'll be leaving soon and I'd like to spar with him at least once." Akita pleaded.

"Only if you promise to rest for the remainder of the afternoon." Hiei said firmly.

"I promise. You promise?" Akita asked innocently.

"Yes, I do." Hiei pushed the kitchen door open.

"Hey, look who're finally awake!" Yusuke smiled.

"You two sure sleep long. It's already late morning, nearly noon." Kuwabara stated.

"Be quiet, Kuwabara. You only woke up an hour ago." Yusuke retorted.

"Shut-up, Urameshi. I'll punch your face in!" Kuwabara snapped.

"I'd like to see you try, Feather-punch!" Yusuke mocked with a grin.

"Akita, tea? I made it with specific herbs for you to regain your energy." Kurama said as he poured his younger sister a cup.

"You read my mind, Kurama. You always do," Akita commented as she accepted the tea cup as she sat down. She sipped it slowly. "It's very good."

"What kind of food have you got around here? I'm starving." Kuwabara declared.

"Me too. At least that's one thing we can always agree upon," Yusuke said.

"There's some food in the refrigerator. There's cereal in the cupboard. Help yourselves," Akita said. She yawned as she continued to drink her tea. After she was finished, her head rested upon Hiei's shoulder.

"Hey, isn't that your cloak, Hiei?" Kuwabara asked, gesturing to the black cloak that was still draped around Akita's thin shoulders.

"Yes, it is. It will be hers for now though." The Koorime smiled as he brushed stray strands of hair out of Akita's face.

"You two look so adorable. Just like a married couple," Yusuke commented.

"Will you three be remaining? Akita would like to have you stay. I know she would. At least until that Jewel of Chaos is returned. She could use her friends and family until she regains her strength..." Hiei trailed.

"No need for persuasion, Hiei. We'll gladly stay." Kurama said.

"Then, excuse me while I tuck my charge into bed. Find something to amuse yourselves with until she wakes again." Hiei lifted Akita up. She didn't stir once while he carried her back to her room and put her back to bed. He crawled in after her and once again, held her close before drifting off to sleep.

***

When Hiei awoke again, Akita was gone. His cloak lay discarded on the bed. He heard the steady flow of water hitting something. He dozed for a few minutes and heard the water shut off.

Akita re-entered room, smelling clean and of some unknown but very sweet fragrance. She had changed into a white uwagi and a white hakama with a strange pattern. It had a red dragon that breathed fire circling her right arm and leg sleeves and a blue dragon emitting ice circled her left arm and leg sleeves. "I'm going to go and fight with Yusuke outside. And, no, you can't object because you promised I could fight if I rested for the remainder of the afternoon."

"So I did. Just be careful. No breaking bones and fatal wounds." Hiei said, giving Akita a serious look.

"You can step in if it gets too dangerous. Fair enough?" The mixed breed regarded the Koorime with her famous half-smile.

Hiei stood and put his shirt on.

Akita picked her sword up, testing her grip and running through a few gestures. "Thanks for your cloak. It was nice to have." She left the room, and headed down the stairs.

Hiei followed her downstairs.

"Yusuke? Are you busy?" Akita asked timidly as she popped her head into the TV room.

"HA! I win again, Kuwabara! That's how it's done, Kurama!" Yusuke said, grinning triumphantly while waving a game controller over his head.

"Damn it, Urameshi. Let's play 5 out of 7." The ningen pleaded.

"I'm not busy anymore, Akita. What's up?" The Spirit Detective asked.

"Want to spar? It's been awhile. You can use your powers and I'll use mine. It'll be fair, neither of us holding back. So, what do you say?" Akita asked.

"Sure. I'd love to spar." Yusuke stood up quickly and he followed Akita outside.

"Aren't you worried? She surely hasn't recovered." Kurama commented.

"Yeah, and Urameshi isn't a pushover. He might go easy on her but then again..." Kuwabara paused, thinking.

"Akita won't accept a spar unless they fight to the best of their ability without holding back, Kuwabara." Kurama explained.

"Let's go and watch," Hiei suggested as they headed outside.

Author's Note: Please review or give me input somehow.... you know the drill.