Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Lost and Found: Love ❯ Reunions; Sweet Snow and Shopping Trips ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A Past Love

Chapter 9: Reunions; Sweet Snow and Shopping Trips

by AngelK

Author's Note: This is my first Yu Yu Hakusho story I've written. I like comments and suggestions/criticism. But, if you don't like this story as you read it, it's kind of pointless just to tell me how much you hated it and how terrible I am. So, I want a reason for why you dislike it so much if you do. If you see a problem with it, state it. Otherwise, enjoy yourself. If you wouldn't mind, a review would be nice.

Disclaimer: This is a story based upon characters of Yu Yu Hakusho. It is for entertainment purposes only.

It had been a half year since Akita had returned from Spirit World. Rain poured down upon the streets of Japan. People rushed back and forth on the streets; colorful umbrellas shielding them from the rain. The sound of windshield wipers from cars filled the air.

A dark figure rested upon the top of a street lamp. He glanced down at all of the hurrying humans trying to escape the damp and chilling rain. He was unnoticed by all. Gazing towards the sky, water droplets splattered against the young man's face. It's been a half a year. I wonder if Kurama will tell her to meet me here....

***

Akita left Genkai's temple sprinting. She raced down the stairs and headed towards the city.

"Wait, Akita! You didn't take an umbrella! You'll get the chills!" Yukina called but it was futile. The Koorime-kitsune had disappeared into the rain.

***

Hiei stood atop the street lamp. The street was emptying quickly. Only a solitary car sped by every now and then. The people had all vanished into a shelter of some sort. "Perhaps she wasn't told by Kurama..."

Akita ran down the streets, raindrops hitting her back. "Will I find him in time?" She looked wildly around. The whole city was almost completely deserted. "If only I hadn't been my usual defiant self..."

***

"Where do you think I'll find Hiei? It's been six months and I promised I'd come see him." Akita murmured to herself and her older brother.

"He's close by. He's been for some time now." Kurama replied as he seemed to be studying the weather outside.

Akita stopped writing. "What is that supposed to mean?"

Kurama looked up in surprise. "I didn't mean anything by it."

Akita knew better. She's caught him hiding his thoughts. "I'd appreciate you not lying to me, Kurama. Has Hiei come to see you and you haven't told me?"

Kurama looked away. "Yes...he's been coming to see you at night. He really misses you, Akita. He really and truly does love-"

Akita stood up quickly. "I don't want to hear another word. I'm not sure what's worse. You not telling me or Hiei betraying my trust. How long has he been coming?"

"Since your birthday." Kurama replied quietly.

Akita fled from the room with tears streaking her cheeks and went outside. Comp quickly caught up and they raced off into the forest.

***

Akita sat on a rock under a large shaded tree.

Comp sat beside the boulder and looked at Akita expectantly.

"I can't believe Kurama never told me. Hiei promised me he wouldn't come see me. Now, I never want to see him again!" Akita snapped angrily.

Comp gazed at her with sorrowful eyes.

"Stop looking at me like that! What would you do in my position if your mate betrayed you?!" Akita asked.

Comp licked her hand.

"You'd forgive? Just because?" Akita sighed and wiped her face. "How can I be mad at him? I love him so much and I've missed him so much...I'll go then. I'll search until I find him."

***

Akita felt Hiei's presence. "Hiei! Hiei?"

No response. The presence had vanished from her mind.

"Please...don't be gone yet." Akita pleaded as she looked to the dark heavens.

***

Hours later, there was no sign of Hiei and the rain was still pouring down, showing no sign of letting up anytime soon.

Akita touched the cold stone gravestone. She looked at the names inscribed on the surface and read softly to herself.

Haruki and Miyo Matsumachi-Never shall they part.

"You both died over a hundred years ago. I never got to thank you for being my adoptive parents. I was so grateful. I would've been more than happy to have lived with you for an eternity." Akita smiled sadly. She knelt by the grave for a few more minutes. A raindrop dripped off the edge of her nose and fell onto the cold stone. Suddenly a cloth settled over her shoulders. She touched it with numb fingers and looked up.

Blood colored eyes met her in an intense gaze. They softened and shone with affection and love for her.

"H...Hiei?"

The Koorime smiled softly.

Akita stood, whipping around as if he might disappear in a moment. She showered him with an array of water droplets in the process.

Hiei took her hands into his. "Are you mad at me?"

Akita's composure crumbled instantly. Raindrops slid down her cheeks; tears joining them effortlessly. "Mad? I'm furious with you. I'm so mad I could kiss you to death." She pressed herself to Hiei, wrapping her arms around his neck snugly. She clung to him for the warmth that radiated from his skin and just for the sake of touching and holding him.

"A threat....plan to carry it out?" Hiei asked, his chin resting on her wet head. His arms wrapped around her, encircling her rain-soaked body.

Akita looked up, eyes sparking with love and mischief. "Would you wish for such a death?"

"If I am able to die in your arms, I do not care whether you kill me or not," Hiei murmured.

Akita kissed him fully on the lips. His warm breath mingled with her own, sending chills down her spine. Hiei nibbled her bottom lip and she opened her mouth, allowing him entrance and his tongue explored her mouth thoroughly.

Hiei broke the kiss off, breathless. "I love you, Akita. I never stopped thinking of you for a moment."

Akita nuzzled against Hiei's strong chest and breathed out softly, tickling him. "You never left me for a moment. I thought of only you and how much I loved you."

Hiei leaned in and brushed her forehead with his lips.

The pair kissed with hunger and desperation as the rains poured down. They had both been wanting one another. Above all, they had needed the other.

***

Akita walked back to Genkai's temple with Hiei's warm hand clasping her own. She knocked at the door and Yukina answered and let them in. The pair stood in the entryway, water dripping off the rain-soaked couple.

"I'll get you some towels. Some soup too. Just stay right here." Yukina said as she hurried off.

Akita turned to face Hiei with a light smile.

He returned the smile as he gathered her in his arms and kissed her.

"Eh-hem."

They broke the kiss off slowly to see Genkai standing in the next room.

"My, don't you two look lovely. Soaked right down to your bones. Comp has been quite worried about you, Akita." Genkai stated.

As if hearing his name being mentioned, the white wolf trotted into the room. He stood up on his hind legs to plant his forepaws firmly on Akita's shoulders. He ran his pink tongue across the girl's face, cleaning it of all rainwater.

"That's sweet and all, Comp, but I'm clean enough." Akita said in protest.

"Yes, Hiei did a fairly good job of kissing her clean." A voice declared with amusement.

Hiei blushed slightly at the comment and looked away so his wet hair fell to shadow his face.

"I imagine you also stayed quite warm from all of that show of love and affection. I'm afraid I'll have to have a talk with you two." Kurama continued.

"Stop it, Kurama. You may be my older brother but, please, stop embarrassing Hiei." Akita pleaded with flaming pink cheeks.

"Here are towels for both of you. You'd be best changing out of those wet clothes and getting a warm bath." Yukina suggested as she returned to the room.

Akita and Hiei accepted the towels and began to wipe the excess water off.

"I'll put the soup on. Akita, why don't you go and take your bath?" Yukina asked as she headed toward the kitchen.

Akita looked at Hiei hesitantly, her fingers remaining woven into his.

Hiei gave her a lingering kiss on the lips. "Go on. I'll be fine until you come back."

Akita left obediently but returned with the cloak Hiei had given her. "At least until I come back."

Hiei accepted the cloak and Akita went to the bathroom.

"So...she's not mad?" Kurama asked after Genkai had left the room.

"No. She isn't." Hiei replied as he sat on the couch.

The two sat in silence until Akita returned. She went instantly to Hiei and they shared yet another kiss. Hiei then went to take his own bath.

"I see you've become more public about your relationship." Kurama commented.

Akita smiled and blushed. "You could say that..."

Kurama came over to Akita, kissed her head, and sat beside her. "I'm very glad for you both. He's been pining, you know."

"I've been pining for him too." She reached down to scratch behind Comp's ears.

"What will you do now?" Kurama asked.

"Finish school and return to my house. I think I'd like to marry and settle down like a good little human." Akita commented.

Kurama laughed. "I figured as much. Will Hiei agree?"

"Of course I will. If I'm to spend a lifetime with her, I want her happiness above all." Hiei declared as he sat beside his beloved mate. He pulled her to him gently and kissed her behind the ear.

Akita rubbed her finger against his knuckles and he whispered into her ear. She giggled. "In good time, my love. We will have a child when it is time."

"A child? You actually want a child, Hiei?" Kurama asked in bewilderment.

"Well, marriage comes first. A silly human custom but the idea behind it is well enough. To be united with the one you love through a holy ceremony that makes your two souls one is quite significant." Akita smiled joyfully.

Hiei returned the loving smile and wrapped his arms around Akita's slender waist so that Akita leaned back against his chest.

Akita closed her eyes and relaxed.

Hiei followed suit.

Kurama stood and departed from the room leaving the two alone and asleep with Akita wrapped snugly in Hiei's grip.

"The soup's done, Aki-" Yukina stopped when she felt a slight pressure on her arm from Kurama.

"Let them be. They need the rest." Kurama smiled faintly.

Yukina nodded and she began to serve the soup for Kurama, Genkai, and herself.

***

Akita woke to find herself tucked safely under the covers. No one was beside her. She sat up and looked around. Nothing. Her shoulders slumped and her forehead rested against the cushioning of her hands. Has this been all a dream? A cruel possibility that it was all a dream? No...I won't believe that. I can't. It was real...wasn't it?

There was no evidence that Hiei had been there. No warmth...not a thing.

Akita gripped the covers tightly in her fists. Her whole body trembling, tears slowly rolled down her cheeks. She closed her eyes and wept in silence.

The door creaked open and someone entered the room. The door clicked shut. Footsteps approached the bed before they stopped right near Akita's left. Someone settled beside her on the bed.

Warm arms wrapped around her body to stop her trembling and a hand stroked her hair. A pair of lips occasionally kissed her head. "Don't cry. I'm right here. I haven't left you..."

Akita burrowed deeper against Hiei. She felt as if she could get lost in the safety of his arms. Smelling clean skin so near her nose, she kissed his chest. Trailing kisses all across his chest, outlining well defined muscles with her lips, Akita could feel Hiei struggling to control himself. She could hear his heart racing. She was having quite an effect on him.

"Stop...please, Akita...I can't control..." Hiei was trembling.

Akita relented and Hiei guided her face up to meet his lips. They shared numerous passionate kisses, leaving them breathless.

"Why don't you want me to kiss you like I was before?" Akita asked with curiosity at the one point when they had come up for air.

Hiei breathed in for a few moments. "I don't want to lose control over myself. You would make me do just that. There's so many emotions that have filled me, Akita. They are all because of you. I've had control of my emotions all my life. I could lose that with you," he confessed.

"Hiei..." Akita kissed his cheek. "Do you think that these new emotions are horrible things? Is it possible that if you do lose yourself that it won't be a bad thing? I love you, my darling. If you lose yourself, I will be here to find you again and again. I will not allow you to stay lost. If you tell me to stop, I will."

Hiei kissed her and held her close. "I trust you, Akita. I love you. Without these new emotions, I never would've loved you. Maybe it won't be so bad to lose myself with you. You make me feel ready to melt from your kisses. I just don't know how to describe how you make me feel... It's just..."

"I make you feel burning with cold. You feel like you could float right to sleep and you won't ever want to wake again or you might have the horrible chance of leaving this paradise..." Akita looked at Hiei with eyes spilling over with love and devotion.

"How'd you know?" The Koorime questioned.

"I feel the exact same way..." Akita kissed his neck soft and gentle. Her kisses trailed down his neck, past his collarbone, and continued to map their way throughout the muscles of his chest and abdomen.

Hiei moaned in response to the treatment Akita was giving him. "Come back..."

Akita obeyed and returned to meet his lips in dozens of kisses. Some were deep while others were light as air.

"You taste like candy to my taste buds, Akita. Sweet, sweet sugar coated lips..." Hiei breathed and kissed Akita long and fierce, leaving her gasping for breath.

"Only to please you, my dear..." Akita whispered softly.

Hiei kissed her nose, eyelids, and forehead, always returning to her lips. He wandered down to her neck, collarbone, and shoulders.

Akita moaned softly and responded with numerous kisses to his face and the exposed skin of his neck, shoulders, and chest.

The two kissed with passion and love. They were desperate for things that only the other could bring.

"I need you, Akita..." Hiei murmured huskily.

Akita kissed his ear, nibbling it lightly. "And I need you, my love..." She closed her eyes and allowed Hiei to continue kissing her with much enthusiasm.

He stopped and stroked her brow. "You're tired, my little love. Have I worn you out?"

"I just need some rest. My body hasn't quite recovered from that fight that took place over a year ago between myself and Kaemon. You may kiss me and caress me if you wish but allow me to rest for a few hours..." Akita trailed as her eyes slid shut against her will. She collapsed against Hiei from exhaustion that her body hadn't been accustomed to.

"Love is quite tiring for you..." Hiei commented as he kissed her forehead. He pulled the covers over the both of them and dozed contently.

The two shared dreams of one another and they slept in a blissful peace undisturbed.

***

"Hey, Akita!" Leila exclaimed as Akita walked in through the school gates.

"Who is that hottie?" Kali asked, nodding towards Hiei.

Hiei, who had been keeping a protective arm around Akita's waist and holding her hand in his other, ducked his head, a light pink blush beginning to develop on his cheeks.

"Don't start embarrassing him. This hottie has a name. His name is Hiei and he's the lovable guy that I'm with. In other words, he's not up for anyone besides me..." Akita said pointedly.

"Well, if things didn't work out, I'd love someone like him. Just from the way he's so protective of you..." Saiyo commented dreamily.

"Who is that?" asked Yukio, who had stormed over.

Hiei glared. "You were the one trying to force yourself upon Akita," he growled.

"Alright, Akita, who's this loser?" Yukio questioned with a smirk.

Akita ran her fingers gently across Hiei's knuckles as she felt him tense. "He's my boyfriend. I've been seeing him for a long time."

"How long could've you been seeing him? You were single when you first transferred here when we were in junior high school. I've never even seen this guy with you up until now." Yukio stated as he glared at Hiei.

Hiei answered with a fierce growl.

Akita continued stroking Hiei's hand. "We were separated for awhile. He had to go elsewhere and I've only started seeing him for a year since he returned. Now, excuse me." Akita walked past Yukio with her fingers still intertwined with Hiei's. They walked towards the side of the school building.

"Yukio's been dissed." Kali said with a giggle.

"He's the loser," Leila commented.

"I'm glad Akita has Hiei. He's much better than Yukio." Saiyo declared.

"I totally agree." Keiko stated.

Kuwabara nodded his agreement and the girls along with Kuwabara and his friends went into the building, leaving Yukio fuming.

***

"Are you sure you don't want to skip? You skipped enough in your junior high school years. Why not now?" Hiei asked.

Akita was detecting a sort of hope in his voice. "Hiei, I can't. I have to maintain near perfect, if not perfect, scores until the end of the semester. Only then can I request to take my exams early in order to complete my education. And I can't have any unexcused days. You know that I would spend the rest of the day with you if I could. But, if you want me to spend the rest of my life with you, I want a completed education. After that, I have no ties to this world besides our human friends and we can always visit after we get settled. Please, don't be difficult," Akita ended her plea with a light kiss to Hiei's lips.

"Only if you promise that when you come home later, we can enjoy one another's company." Hiei gathered Akita into his strong grip. He held her close and kissed her long and hard. When he finally released her, Akita clung to him, trembling.

"Don't do that..." Akita muttered. "You act more like a human every day now. With passion corrupting your thoughts, you're impossible to deal with."

"Who says you don't want to deal with me?" Hiei kissed her swiftly; his lips lingered upon hers until he broke the kiss. "I'll be outside the gate waiting for you." He lifted her face so he could kiss her cheek and she could glimpse his wide smile. Hiei walked to the school's wall that surrounded the courtyard and jumped it, disappearing.

Akita stood in a stunned silence, her hand resting against where Hiei had kissed her. Her face was covered in a light blush as she hurried into the building.

***

The school bell rang, signaling the end of the day. The schoolyard emptied quickly; everyone racing to get home.

"Jeez, does everyone want to get out of here that bad?" Keiko asked as she and Akita were left in the dust kicked up from the fleeing students.

"Damn baka ningens....they are very irritating. Why go to school if the only thing you want to do is leave?" Akita snapped. Her day wasn't going the greatest. Everywhere she had gone, Yukio was a few steps behind, breathing down her neck. As the school day had ended, she had managed to avoid him.

"I'll see you both later!" Kuwabara called.

Akita rolled her eyes and muttered incoherently as Kuwabara was swept up in the flow of students.

"Well, do you still want to go shopping? Or are you meeting Hiei?" Keiko asked. She knew the answer as she watched Akita's face light up.

"Hiei! I missed you!" The demon hybrid raced to Hiei who returned her embrace.

"No shopping then?" Keiko questioned.

After Akita had kissed Hiei lightly on the lips, she turned and faced Keiko. "Shopping sounds great, Keiko. It's been a long time since we've gone. Do you mind coming, Hiei?"

"Um, I think I might rather go and visit Kurama. Yusuke tells me how horrible that shopping is." Hiei commented as he wandered down the street in the direction of Kurama's home.

Yukio watched from a nearby alley. "He's the one, Sakashi. If you kill him, you'll be paid in full."

"Yes. You remember our wager. I get you that girl, you give me that girl." The demon gestured to Keiko.

"I remember precisely. Now, be quick about it." Sakashi vanished from Yukio's side and Yukio grinned maliciously. "You'll pay dearly, Akita. Yes, my dear, you shall..."

"Well, Hiei, why don't you meet us for ice cream? Tell Kurama he's invited as well." Akita smiled pleasantly.

"Hn....I'll tell the kitsune. Enjoy." Hiei leapt up into the air and vanished.

Akita turned to Keiko with a gentle smile. "Well, shall we go?"

Keiko nodded and they began to walk to the stores located in the inner city.

***

As the two girls passed window displays, they were followed unknowingly by someone that appeared to be a teenager their age.

"Let's go in there. They always have nice things." Keiko suggested. She went through the door with Akita behind her.

Keiko sorted through the clothing eagerly.

Akita was just wandering around the store, stopping to look at stuff but not bothering with the price tags. She admired the styles and the materials but never stopped. She didn't really care for beautiful expensive clothes.

"Akita, come look at this!" Keiko exclaimed excitedly.

When Akita finally found Keiko, she looked at the outfit she held.

"It's perfect for you, Akita. You'll look stunning." Keiko commented sincerely.

"It's probably too expensive. Besides, I don't really need anything..." Akita trailed.

"Well, at least try it on," Keiko urged.

Akita obeyed and went into the dressing room. She changed and came out from behind the curtained cubicle.

"You look beautiful..." Keiko said.

Akita smoothed the dark blue silk skirt with white trim at the edges that stopped a few inches above the knee. The top was white and had flowing sleeves. She turned to admire herself in the mirror.

"You look like incredibly elegant and sophisticated." Keiko nodded her approval.

"But I couldn't buy it. It's much too frivolous and impractical..." Akita said.

"Well, it's something you'd definitely wear on a date. Why don't you get it?" Keiko suggested.

Akita thought it over, reading the tag. The price was reasonable. "I could spare some money for it. It'll be cutting out on my video games but I guess I'm willing to sacrifice."

Keiko grinned.

***

"Are you sure that Hiei and Kurama are coming?" Keiko asked.

"I know schoolwork's calling, but enjoy yourself for a bit, Keiko." Akita chided.

Keiko glared at Akita briefly and turned her attention to the list above the counter that contained the variety of ice cream flavors.

Akita stared out the window and watched for a sign of her brother's or her lover's approach.

"Fancy seeing you two here." A female's voice commented.

Akita turned to see Leila and Saiyo enter the ice cream shop.

"Hey, you two. Where's Kali?" Keiko queried.

It was out of place when the three girls were apart. Leila, Saiyo, and Kali had been best friends since their 4th year of elementary school. They'd been together ever since Kali had moved from the States to Japan.

"She had a piano lesson and she was also going to work at her parents' antique store," Saiyo explained.

"Would you like to get some ice cream with us?" Leila questioned.

"Well, we're waiting for some people. If you don't mind waiting, we'd be happy to join you." Akita said, her annoyance and irritability that she had towards all of her classmates had evaporated.

Leila smiled. "That'll be wonderful."

"You're not still annoyed, are you?" Saiyo asked.

"Nah. I'm out of school and I don't have to worry about Yukio." Akita responded.

"Until tomorrow," Leila quipped with a grin.

"Unfortunately." Akita said with an exasperated sigh, drawing giggles from Keiko, Leila, and Saiyo.

The bell above the door that served as an entrance and exit rang out as it opened. Kurama and Hiei stepped inside as the door swung shut.

"Is he your boyfriend, Keiko?" Saiyo asked in a whisper, nodding towards the redhead.

Keiko immediately blushed from embarrassment. "Of course not. I love someone else. He's only a friend." She hissed back in reply.

"Well, I figured you'd go for his type. He looks intelligent and very intellectual." Saiyo whispered.

Kurama cleared his throat; he'd heard the conversation between Saiyo and Keiko. "Good afternoon, Akita, Keiko. Would you be so kind as to introduce me to your companions? I don't believe we've met."

Akita nodded. Figuring it best to introduce him by his human first name, she continued with the introductions. "Shuichi, these are friends of Keiko and I. Saiyo Atsumaka is the one with the brown hair and the light green eyes. Leila Onami is the one with the black hair and the blue eyes. Leila, Saiyo, meet my half-brother, Shuichi."

"If introductions are done, leave them to swoon. I'd like some sweet snow." Hiei muttered.

The six approached the counter. Chocolate cones for Keiko, Hiei, and Akita, vanilla for Saiyo, and strawberry flavored for Kurama and Leila. After they received their cones, they ventured outdoors.

They walked for about a block before Leila and Saiyo had to say their good-byes. The two girls were planning on stopping by Kali's family antique shop and they'd planned to window shop along the way.

Kurama talked with Keiko as they walked, leaving Hiei and Akita to walk behind them. "So, how are things for you, Keiko?"

"Stop!" Akita trailed off into a fit of giggles.

Keiko and Kurama cast glances over their shoulders. Akita had a bit of chocolate ice cream on her face and she was trying to avoid being kissed clean by Hiei.

"I am capable of cleaning my own face. You just want another excuse to kiss me..." Akita accused.

"Guilty." Hiei replied as he made another attempt to remove the ice cream with his lips.

Keiko shook her head at the two as Kurama chuckled. "I'm fine, Kurama. It's been kind of rough for me lately though."

Kurama looked at Keiko with concern. "For what reason?"

Keiko continued licking her melting ice cream before she replied softly. "I miss Yusuke...."

Kurama nodded gravely.

"I would wait for him forever but sometimes it's very hard to wait patiently. Is he really going to come back?" Keiko questioned.

"When he does come back, he'll come visit you first." Kurama stated as they continued down the street.

"He had better. He owes me." Keiko murmured.

Kurama glanced back to see Hiei holding two ice cream cones, eating from both, with a triumphant grin on his face. Kurama just shook his head.

"That was my sweet snow first!" Akita exclaimed. "Give it back now!"

Author's Note: Please review or give me input somehow.... you know the drill. Thanks for reading and I hope you enjoyed it.