Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Lost and Found: Love ❯ Attack of the Zombie Puppets; Wolf Hunt for Sakashi ( Chapter 10 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A Past Love

Chapter 10: Attack of the Zombie Puppets; Wolf Hunt for Sakashi

by AngelK

Author's Note: This is my first Yu Yu Hakusho story I've written. I like comments and suggestions/criticism. But, if you don't like this story as you read it, it's kind of pointless just to tell me how much you hated it and how terrible I am. So, I want a reason for why you dislike it so much if you do. If you see a problem with it, state it. Otherwise, enjoy yourself. If you wouldn't mind, a review would be nice.

Disclaimer: This is a story based upon characters of Yu Yu Hakusho. It is for entertainment purposes only.

As the four neared Genkai's temple, Kurama suddenly stopped.

"What is it, Kurama?" Hiei asked.

"I smell something foul. I've smelled it for quite some time. Someone's been following us." Kurama looked around.

Hiei's arm tensed around Akita. "Keiko, you keep going down that path. Akita, go with her," Hiei ordered, also watching for any sign of movement.

"They have us surrounded..." Akita murmured.

Hiei nodded.

Akita and Keiko continued down the path, leaving Kurama and Hiei to remain waiting. Hiei slid his hand back beneath his cloak near his waist, his hand gripping his sword hilt firmly as his fingers curled tightly around the weapon. Kurama pulled a rose from under his red locks.

"No use hiding, cowards. Come and fight us if you have the courage." Hiei taunted.

Instantly a group of about ten demons had surrounded them. They were dressed to be easily camouflaged.

"Two against ten. Shall we even the odds, Kurama?" Hiei ran at one of the demons and sliced him right through.

"Rose Whip!" Kurama's rose transformed into his usual green whip. He slashed through two demons at once.

"Rebuild!" The parts of the three demons copied and, instead of only the three fallen demons returning, there were now nine demons in their places.

"So, you cut through one demon and it makes a triple copy. How wonderful." Hiei commented sarcastically as he continued to cut through the demons, not caring their amount continued to triple with each slice.

"Hiei, we have to destroy the master behind these demons. They are just puppets whose strings need to be cut." Kurama commented as he used his Thorn Wheel.

"But, they're after the girls. If we go and look for the puppet master, they'll go after Akita and Keiko," Hiei said.

"Unless you plan on dying from old age fighting these demons, then you'll leave and defeat the master." Kurama began to run in the direction the girls had gone.

Hiei grumbled and left as well.

The demons followed after them slowly.

Hiei was easily able to keep pace with the taller kitsune.

Suddenly, a high-pitched scream filled the air.

Kurama glanced at Hiei. "That was one of the girls."

***

"We've got to stay calm, Keiko. I really wish that there wasn't a cliff here. It kind of makes escape kind of difficult." Akita cracked a branch off of a nearby tree. It was her only weapon. She couldn't really call upon her dragons. That took too much energy.

Zombie-like demons continued their sluggish pursuit towards them.

"Keiko, just stay behind me." She wouldn't let them harm Keiko. She'd die defending her friend.

Keiko obeyed and continued backing up.

"Give us Keiko. We'll go quietly then." A male voice said.

"A newcomer to join the party? And who might we have the pleasure of meeting?" Akita asked, venomous sarcasm thick in her voice.

"You could kill a snake with venom like that, Yukio's love. It doesn't suit you though." The speaker was a human looking demon of average height. He was about as tall as Kurama with dark green hair. He held strings tangled in his fingers. He bowed graciously.

"Well, bastard, I don't agree in the least. You can't have Keiko nor am I Yukio's anything. What are the strings for? Happen to be a puppet who got his threads cut?" Akita snapped, searching for a plan to formulate. She'd been in worse positions.

"Silly girl. I am the master behind all of these." He swept his arm across the demons that walked stiffly toward the girls.

"Well, Puppet Master, I still would like a name to go with your annoyance." Akita said. She'd have enough energy to call on at least one of her dragons. Or...

"I'm Sakashi, the demon puppet master. Former servant of the deceased Suzaku, leader of the Four Saint Beasts. Spirit Detective, Yusuke Urameshi, killed him during the invasion of the Makai insects. I want revenge. I will have it by carrying out the task Suzaku had been trying to accomplish. That was killing that human wench." Sakashi pointed to Keiko.

"Over my dead body, Sakashi." Akita said, holding the branch in her hand like a sword.

"As you wish!" Sakashi pulled a whistle out of his pants pocket. He blew the noiseless whistle but instantly, more zombie demon puppets appeared everywhere.

"See if your little trinket can match this pitch!" Akita tipped her head back and began to howl the pack song. Even if Comp could not answer her call, the wolves that inhabited Genkai's forest would. She had been hunting with them over her period of time when she had recovered enough to leave her bed.

Sakashi's lip curled back in a snarl and began to voice a chant when he abruptly stopped to see some of his threads had snapped suddenly. "What the hell is this? No one can defeat my demons. How have these strings been cut?"

"Well, arrogant fool, your threads were much too easy to follow when you leave such a clear and visible trail." Hiei growled, holding the frayed pieces of thread in his hand.

"You're the one I was sent to kill by Yukio. I might as well kill you and the girl. Weapons appear!"

Battle axes, swords, knives, and daggers appeared in mid-air which the demons easily grasped. The demon zombies separated from the large group into two other groups; half headed for Hiei and Kurama while the others went for Akita and Keiko.

"It is hopeless for escape. I'll kill all of you! Attack!" Sakashi commanded.

The demons obeyed.

Akita managed to remove weapons from the approaching demons by breaking their grips. One finally got smart and sliced through her branch. Akita grinned maliciously. "Hmph, I'd rather kill you with my bare hands anyway. Keiko, don't worry, I'll get us out of this somehow."

Keiko swung her school bag at one of them, knocking him down. "I'm not completely defenseless. Just had to get over my initial shock." She swung again, knocking demons over with each swing.

"Sakashi, looks like you're plan is failing. Your demons are too stupid for their own good." Akita picked up one of the dropped weapons, a sword. "You should know never to leave your weapons fall like that." Akita sliced through a demon. More surged upon her and she continued to cut them down.

Kurama and Hiei were cutting through demons as well.

"No matter how many times we cut..." Akita trailed as she sliced through triple of what she had just been fighting.

"Time to get rid of some more strings. Rose Whip Lash!" Kurama sent numerous cuts towards the tree where Sakashi was perched.

Sakashi leapt from the tree but more strings were cut through. The demons Akita had been fighting hesitated.

"Die!" Akita exclaimed. She slashed through a row and jumped back to escape being splattered with blood.

"Well, it's time to take my leave." Sakashi leapt down and picked up Keiko, gripping her around the waist. "Farewell! Demons, descend!"

Demons surrounded the trio and Sakashi vanished.

"Damn it to hell. I'll kill you bastards for taking Keiko." Akita charged and slashed through the demons.

"It's too overwhelming. Even though strings have been cut, the master still has enough that their forces will triple. We have to retreat." Kurama coaxed.

"No! I won't." Akita snapped fiercely.

"I don't surrender. Death comes before surrender. I thought you would understand that by now, kitsune." Hiei said.

"Don't force me to knock both of you out and drag you away from here. If you're both killed here, who will be left to save Keiko?" Kurama asked logically.

Akita bit her lip. Of course her brother was right. "Hiei...we've got to retreat." She leapt up into the tree branches and rushed off.

Kurama followed and Hiei reluctantly did as well.

***

Akita was sulking in her bedroom at Genkai's temple. She was constantly pacing before the window in her room. The wolves that she sometimes hunted with had lost Sakashi's scent. They had come to the temple soon after Akita had called for them during the fight with Sakashi.

Comp whined as he watched Akita growl and mutter curses under her breath.

A knock came at the door.

Akita's eyes flared red and the door flew open.

Hiei stood in the doorway. His hand was ready to turn the knob. "You're angry."

Akita glared at Hiei. "Damn right. Those bastards will pay."

"Sometimes it's best just to let her vent all her anger out without anyone in the near vicinity. She can explode at any given time." Kurama commented from his point on the opposite side of the hall.

"I'll burn you where you stand, Kurama. Don't think I won't." Akita growled and she turned back to the window. The scent of the zombie demons still lingered in the air but the creatures themselves were gone. She had checked herself. Her new outfit lay on the chair, somehow clean even after the bloodshed from earlier.

"Hn." Hiei walked into the room and sat on the bed.

"You're also quite hostile. Your fire half drives your anger, doesn't it?" Kurama queried from his point in the doorway.

Akita muttered something and her ki flared as the door and window slammed shut.

"Sit down. It's not good for you to be so full of rage." Hiei commented.

Akita whirled wildly to face the Koorime. "Don't you dare begin to lecture me about anger and fits of rage. I'll turn my power on you, Hiei. I promise you that." She began to neaten up the room by putting stuff away. "You of all people shouldn't be giving my lectures on rage..." She muttered to herself.

"Don't make promises you aren't capable of keeping. If you do something drastic, I can always force it back and we both know that would not be good." His Jagan eye glowed blue briefly beneath his white bandana.

Akita finally dropped down to the ground in a fit of sobbing. "I failed Yusuke. I couldn't protect Keiko in the end. I lost to a sorry excuse for a demon. That arrogant weakling..."

Hiei gathered Akita into his arms and lifted her body up that was convulsing from sobs. He carried her to the bed and sat, cradling her and stroking her hair.

Akita continued to tremble and shudder. How could she have been so stupid? She should've taken Keiko from there as soon as she read Sakashi's intentions.

"You're too much like your half-sibling. You both have that beyond irritating habit of understanding your opponent before planning your attack." Hiei commented as he continued to stroke her back.

"But I usually don't do that. As an assassin, I was trained to destroy my target without waiting. As a master thief, I went into any sort of place and stole whatever treasure without wasting precious time. That's what the point is. Kill those before they can kill you. It's the object of everything. And you can never trust time because it is fickle." Akita managed to quiet her sobbing and slow her tears to a trickle.

"Better now?" Hiei asked softly.

Akita nodded. "Much. Sorry I worried you, Comp." She rolled over in Hiei's arms so that she could see the wolf sitting by the window. "He hates when I get so frustrated."

"Kurama was worried as well. It is annoying when you're impossible to communicate with," Hiei commented.

"I'm sorry. Sorry I worried the both of you and that I'm so annoying to you, Hiei." Akita looked out the window. The moon was barely visible that night.

"I didn't say you were annoying. I just said how you behave is annoying..." Hiei muttered.

"Same difference. Can you...let go of me now?" Akita asked softly.

His grip tightened. "No..."

Akita shivered involuntarily.

"Cold?"

Akita nodded. She couldn't answer because of her chattering teeth. It felt as if her whole body was slowly going numb.

Hiei moved one arm from supporting her. He took a blanket and wrapped both of them in it.

Akita gradually warmed up from the heat radiating from Hiei's body. "Thanks..."

The fire demon didn't respond.

Akita looked up to see him hunched over her, sound asleep. Akita cuddled against the Koorime for warmth and went to sleep.

***

"Where the hell am I?" Hiei snapped irritably. He rarely dreamed of a place he didn't know. It was dark without moonlight and he was surrounded by trees.

"Hiei! Help me!" Akita screamed.

The Koorime's eyes darted back to see an army of shadows pursuing Akita. She was strangely in her demon form and was clutching a sapphire in her claws.

Akita continued to race through the forest.

Hiei went to draw his sword and realized he couldn't move. He couldn't speak either.

A scream filled the air from somewhere nearby.

Hiei was unable to move his body but he knew it was Akita's voice. His Jagan opened and glowed. He watched as the shadows plunged weapons into Akita's flesh, leaving open wounds that bled profusely.

The shadows vanished, melting into thin air.

When he was finally capable of movement, Hiei walked over to the female demon. Her body was punctured right through. The weapon that had led to her death was plunged right through her back into the ground so she couldn't move. It was his katana.

Akita laid face down, motionless.

His eyes widened in horror and he knelt beside her. His heart was brimming with grief. A solitary tear fell from his eye. It dropped and formed a single hiruiseki stone. "Akita!!!!"

***

Akita dangled over an edge of a cliff. Waves crashed a few hundred feet below her. Her body was filled with wounds that bled heavily. Whoever had done this had left her for dead.

Suddenly a pair of crimson colored eyes bore down into her onyx ones. An unnatural eye was open on his forehead. The Jagan...

"Hiei?" Akita asked with a raspy voice.

The Koorime did not answer. Those eyes were so emotionless and blank.

"Won't you help me?" Akita pleaded.

Hiei stood and turned away. "I will not aid you. You have lied to me and stolen from me. I will not forgive you." He walked out of view.

Akita's grip gave way and she plummeted through the seemingly endless abyss of loneliness and betrayal.

The waves roared with fury, smashing mercilessly into the cliff.

"Hiei....Hiei....Hi...ei..."

***

Akita and Hiei opened their eyes simultaneously.

"Akita?" The Koorime looked at her in surprise. He could feel fear filling her. "What's wrong?" Had she dreamed nightmares like he had?

"...the treasure you seek. Would you betray me?" Akita asked softly.

"What are you talking about?" Hiei demanded.

"I saw inside your mind for the brief moment when I looked into your eyes. I hung helpless but because I had kept something from you, you refused to spare my life." Akita looked away. She went to remove herself from Hiei's arms. His grip automatically tightened.

"What are you talking about?" Hiei repeated his question.

"I dreamt that I barely clung to the cliff above a raging ocean. I barely clung to my life. You came and saw me. You stared deep into my eyes and refused to help me. I screamed for you as I fell through the air. But, to no avail, you left me to die and drown. That's what I've always been left to do. I've had the life beaten out of me and then I'm left for the dead." Akita removed herself from Hiei's tight grip and approached the window. Would Hiei ever betray her? Was that dream a premonition of some sort?

Hiei had caught her fleeing thoughts. "I would never-"

Akita cut him off. "I know." Pulling the window open so some air could enter the room, Akita smiled softly with eyes closed. "...I miss it..."

"Miss what?" Hiei stood and came to join Akita at the window. He put an arm around her waist and nipped at the skin of Akita's neck.

"The ocean...in my dream, I could hear and smell the ocean. I still remember when I hadn't a place to call my own, I lived near the ocean in Makai. That was when I wasn't needed as an assassin..." Akita trailed as she breathed in the cool and crisp air. She was positive it was going to rain. A torrential rain would pour down. It was certain. Sakashi wouldn't be able to be tracked by scent alone. "Yusuke...he will come if I call him..."

"Will you go to him? Tell him about Keiko?" Hiei questioned.

"Not to tell him. He already knows. I will go to hunt. Change back to what I once was. To the form best suited for hunting." Akita looked at Hiei, feeling the love she felt for him surge within her heart. She knew she would freely give herself entirely to the jaganshi. The half-kitsune looked at Hiei, faintly smiling. "You know, wolves mate for life..."

"Mating is painful for demons. You know that." Hiei commented, avoiding Akita's dark eyes.

"Am I not worth the pain?" Akita asked softly, not allowing her eyes to reflect the hurt she was feeling.

"If something were to happen to either of us..." Hiei began, trying to avoid answering.

Akita removed herself from Hiei's grip. She listened to the thunder and picked up her sword. "Farewell, Hiei." She raced from the temple, vanishing into the thickening fog and the pelting rain, leaving Hiei to stand emotionlessly at the window.

".....good-bye, Akita..."

***

Yusuke was once again in Maze Castle. There, he had watched the TV screen that he had watched before.

Keiko was fleeing; this time she was alone in the halls of her former junior high school.

True legendary zombies moved sluggishly behind her. They looked like they struggled to stay together; all of their limbs hung by threads as if, at any moment, they would drop into a pile of bones.

Chilling laughter followed the running girl. "You cannot flee, Yukemura. I will do what Suzaku couldn't. I will kill you! I will bring about Yusuke Urameshi's suffering!"

Zombies finally cornered Keiko at the end of the corridor.

A figure, shadowed all but his hands, with strings wound about his fingers, wiggled his fingers, making the zombies move. "Weapons appear!"

"...Yusuke..." Keiko whispered desperately as tears slid down her cheeks.

Armed with sharp, gleaming weapons, the zombies raised their arms.

"Die, Keiko!" The voice exclaimed.

An ear-piercing shriek filled Yusuke's very being, ripping through him like a scythe.

***

Yusuke shot out of his sound slumber, smashing his head off of an overhanging branch in the process. "Damn it!" He snapped in fury, rubbing a lump that now throbbed fiercely. He wiped the cold sweat from his forehead. He was burning with fever. The Spirit Detective wearily leaned back against the tree trunk. What a nightmare... He hadn't felt that helpless since he had been forced to watch Keiko being pursued by his former teacher during his battle with Suzaku. That nightmare had been enough to force Yusuke awake. Something was wrong. He had to return to Ningenkai immediately.

***

Akita raced down the street on all fours. She was transforming. It had been a long time since she had taken this form. She usually favored her demonic form as a kitsune over this one. Her human form is the one she stayed in. The average human might be a bit overwhelmed by a female with fox ears and a tail with claws and fangs to match. But, the streets were empty. No one would notice.

The lights in the streetlamps shattered, leaving the streets dark as Akita raced past.

Fur was growing all over Akita's body. Water was beginning to weigh her black coat down. Finally, she skidded to a stop. The one that pack called "Kit" had finally emerged. Showing her sharp, long fangs, her muzzle was pulled back into a wolfish smirk. She bayed at the moon, sending shivers down the animals roaming the streets. Sakashi...I'm coming for you...

***

Kit felt something stirring at the back of her mind. Comp was fast approaching with the family pack. She continued running through the forest of the park until she was in an open space. She waited patiently.

Suddenly, about ten demon wolves came out of the shadows. The leading wolf was Comp's father and her own adoptive father, Hunter.

Kit saw her mother, Nightsong. She recognized her brothers and sisters whose scents she knew by heart. When she had been wandering the forests of the Makai as a young child, she had been befriended by Comp. He brought her to his family's wolf pack. They had adopted her and she had eventually been able to take on their form.

They raced to greet her, nipping at her playfully. Where have you been hiding, Kit?

Voices echoed in the black wolf's mind. Living in another form...

Again? Hunter queried. So foolish, aren't you, Kit?

Comp tells us you've been taking on human form. Is it fun? asked Forest.

Daughter, meet the pups you once knew. They are still young. They still make many mistakes... Leaper... Hunter nodded to each in turn.

A gray and white wolf barked. She butted Kit playfully.

Scar...

A black wolf with a pale white scar running from his left eye down to the tip of his muzzle growled.

Kit looked puzzled. Pack-father, where are the rest? Like Short-wind, Venom, Short Snout, Long-legged, Loner...

They had no urge to see the human world. They stayed behind along with the pups. I brought the ones who were best suited in tracking this string master of yours. Hunter replied.

There will be a human joining our hunt. He has reason to. The human that Sakashi stole is dear to him and close to his heart. Kit left the clearing, blending into the underbrush.

The wolves did so as well.

***

Kit trotted on the wooden planks of the docks. She could smell demon zombies everywhere. The scent was enough to make her wretch. Standing at the edge of the dock, gazing out onto the water, was Yusuke Urameshi.

The transformation happened quicker this time. In a few moments, a human approached the teenager. "Yusuke..."

The dark haired boy turned, looking tired. "What happened?"

Akita looked away as unwanted tears sprang into her eyes. "Keiko was kidnapped. I'm not sure whether Sakashi, the Puppet Master, will kill her or use her as bait to lure you in."

"Was he the one I dreamed of? He manipulates demon puppets?" Yusuke asked, anxiety made his voice rise.

Akita nodded. "It is. My pack is out searching for him now. We are blessed that it is raining and fog covers the city. We move best that way."

"We? You mean, that is the form you've been using? Not your human nor your demon form?" Yusuke questioned.

"I'm in my demon wolf form. It is best suited for hunting and bringing down my prey. I most go and join the pack. Will you run with us or shall I come back to get you?" Akita queried. Her body was already beginning to shift.

"It doesn't matter. We just need to find Keiko." Yusuke stated.

Thunder rumbled after a lightning bolt cracked the dark sky.

"Since you have no preference, will you do me a favor? My sword...it's near Genkai's temple. At the bottom of the staircase that leads upward. Will you get it for me? I can smell the zombie scent everywhere. Until I get a clear whiff of Keiko, it won't be any good. Just come back here when you've got my sword." Transformation complete, a black wolf sat on her haunches, scratching her shoulders. She was itching for a good run.

"That suits you, Akita. Or, am I to be calling you something different? Well, tell me later. I'll be off then." Yusuke took off at a sprint, disappearing into the fog.

Kit stood still as she let the rain soak her thoroughly. Trotting down the docks, she kept her nose to the wooden planks.

A howl pierced the air. Forest had found something.

Kit bounded off into the mist.

***

The wolf pack sniffed what had been found cautiously. Black cords of some sort that reeked of zombies littered the spot.

Could the fool have left a clearer path? This will be an easy kill. Forest commented arrogantly.

Arrogance is for the conceited, Cousin. He obviously wants someone to follow. Leaper rebuked him.

The wolves followed the trail of frayed strands to a warehouse near the docks.

Kit saw Yusuke approaching. She barked to get his attention.

The Spirit Detective stopped, Akita's sword in his hand.

Kit shifted skins. She decided upon Akita's demon form. The transformation took less than a breath. Immediately, black kitsune ears and tail twitched. "Yusuke, I will take my Death Sword." She took her weapon and settled it into its' place on her belt. "Pack, we run now. To make our kill. Remember, the girl is to be spared." Akita knew that if the kill was fun enough, all of them might lose themselves in the fun. "I leave rescuing Keiko and taking her to safety up to you, Yusuke. Don't worry about me returning. There is no point..."

Surprise registered on Yusuke's face. He was confused.

"Hiei and I will not mate nor marry. It is best to part ways rather than speak of it." Akita looked to the pack. They would take care of her like they had before.

We are ready, our Kit. Lead the way, said Hunter.

Akita nodded. With a howl of triumph, she took off down the path, Yusuke beside her and the wolves running behind them.

Author's Note: Please review or give me input somehow.... you know the drill. Thanks for reading and I hope you enjoyed it.