Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Lost and Found: Love ❯ Cut Strings; Are Good-byes Really Forever? ( Chapter 11 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A Past Love

Chapter 11: Cut Strings; Are Goodbyes Really Forever?

by AngelK

Author's Note: This is my first Yu Yu Hakusho story I've written. I like comments and suggestions/criticism. But, if you don't like this story as you read it, it's kind of pointless just to tell me how much you hated it and how terrible I am. So, I want a reason for why you dislike it so much if you do. If you see a problem with it, state it. Otherwise, enjoy yourself. If you wouldn't mind, a review would be nice.

Disclaimer: This is a story based upon characters of Yu Yu Hakusho. It is for entertainment purposes only.

A redhead accompanied by a dark haired male ran swiftly from Genkai's temple. "You wounded Akita with your refusal. Why have you reason to say no?"

"It is none of your concern, kitsune. Besides, the foolish girl was the one who chose to take it that way. I never said no." Hiei replied snippily.

"You didn't agree. What would you expect her to think?" Kurama asked.

"I'd expect her to accept what I said. There are more important things to deal with..." Hiei muttered.

"You plan to return to Mukuro, don't you?" The kitsune had caught Hiei's fleeing thought.

Hiei growled. "If you don't keep out of my thoughts..."

***

Akita drew her sword. She was ready to attack Sakashi. "Are you ready, Yusuke?"

The Spirit Detective nodded and pushed open the doors of the warehouse.

They stepped inside, closely followed by the wolves. Spotlight hit them, momentarily blinding them. The wolves whined as the light hit their sensitive eyes.

"Hush....close your eyes. Trust me...It'll be alright." Akita soothed as she held up her sword to shield her eyes, reflecting the blinding light back.

"I got bored waiting for you. I didn't think you'd walk so willingly into the trap, Yusuke Urameshi. Women will only lead to failure." Sakashi commented from his seat atop a mountain of crates.

Akita bristled at the comment. A growl rose from deep in her throat. "...bastard.."

"No need for name-calling after I took such good care of your dear friend." Sakashi pointed to another space.

As the spotlight hit it, Yusuke held himself back.

Keiko dangled by threads, seeming unconscious. She was guarded by zombie guards.

Rage boiled within Akita. She shot towards Sakashi with her sword drawn. "I'll kill you!"

Sakashi was surprised and jerked his hand, leaving the zombies confused. Their strings had gone lax.

The wolves took their chance. They attacked the zombies that were guarding Keiko. Shredding through the demons, blood splattered everywhere.

"Shot Gun!" The blasts of spirit energy tore through the cords binding Keiko. Yusuke caught the limp girl and held her tightly. "Keiko?"

The girl remained motionless.

Suddenly, two more demons burst through the door.

"Kurama! Hiei! Boy, am I ever glad to see you both." Yusuke said with a sigh of relief.

"Behind you, Yusuke!" Kurama exclaimed.

Hiei rushed forward and sliced through the demon.

"Thanks a lot, Hiei." Yusuke spoke with a voice filled with gratitude.

"Hn..." Hiei replied as he looked up.

Akita fought with Sakashi with all she had. Swinging her sword, she cut another string each time. "I will kill you, Sakashi!"

"Not if I kill you first! One of us must die!" Sakashi shouted as the strings detached from the demons shot forward. They pierced Akita right through. He smashed her body down through the mountain of wooden crates, sending splinters flying.

Akita's body convulsed in spasms of pain. "There's....toxins....coating these strings..."

"Very good, Puppet. You will die now and nothing will save you. Those poisons will melt your insides!" Sakashi exclaimed triumphantly.

"Comp..." Akita croaked.

Instantly, the wolf was at her side. He licked her face and Akita smiled with eyes glazed over from agony. Figures faded in and out of her vision.

"Akita, can you hear me?" Someone picked her up, strings dangling from the female's body.

Akita's smile was faint. "Is that you, Hiei love?"

The black haired Koorime nodded. "Yes, my beloved, it is me..."

"Rose Whip Lash!" Another person landed down beside Akita. "Sakashi is dead. I just killed him. Akita, do you think you can wait until we get to my house? My garden...there's something that will be able to counter this poison. Will you last? Or is the pain too much?"

"Hiei...I'm glad we hadn't mated... I would not want you to feel this pain... Go to her... Mukuro..." Akita's head listed to the side. She had lost consciousness.

The wolves came over to inspect the damage that had been done to their Kit.

"She's not going to live, is she?" Yusuke asked. His voice was choked with emotion. Keiko still lay limp in his arms.

"It isn't good. I don't think she's going to make it to your house, Kurama." Hiei stated. His heart ached at having to lose Akita.

Hiei...transfer enough energy to make her a wolf. We are a different breed of demon. We can live through encounters with toxins. She will be able to heal if we take her back with us to Makai and to our caves. The lead wolf, named Hunter, was the speaker.

How are you able to communicate with me? Hiei asked in reply.

Our breed of demons are especially gifted in telepathy. Will you save her?

Hiei nodded gravely. Calling upon his Jagan, which began to glow blue, Hiei wrapped his arms tightly around Akita's body. Channeling his spirit energy into a form of heat, he felt it being absorbed into Akita's flesh.

Daughter Kit, rejoin us in the form of a wolf... We'll take you home. To where you belong. Far from this despair into seclusion once more. You can be with your brothers and sisters. Will you come willingly?

The wolves joined in the pack song.

Linked to Akita spiritually, the Koorime understood the words of the wolves' song.

Akita's body began to transform. Hiei placed her gently on the ground.

Kit opened her eyes. She lurched to her feet, wobbling as she did so.

Well, Kit? It's time to go home. Are you ready? The wolf that spoke was black in color with white patches over each eye. She came over and nuzzled the black wolf.

Mother...I'm ready. Kit cast one look at Hiei.

The other wolves were already outside. Comp and his mother, Nightsong, were the ones that remained at the entrance of the warehouse.

Kit hobbled after them, obviously still in pain but not to such an extent as she had been when in Akita's demon form.

Kurama, Hiei, and Yusuke followed her outside.

Kit paused, staring at each of them in turn, avoiding Hiei's eyes. She vanished with Comp and Nightsong into the fog.

"She's free again." Kurama commented wistfully.

"Akita's happier that way I'm sure. I don't think she will ever come back." Yusuke said. He had grown to know Akita's personality well.

Hiei said nothing. He turned and began to walk away without so much as a good-bye.

"Hiei-"

"Let it be, Yusuke. He hadn't planned to stick around once Akita left. Maybe one day he'll come back to her. For now, he's going to Mukuro..." Kurama stated. The two stood, Kurama with wind blowing through his red hair and Yusuke holding Keiko close.

"I'm going to take Keiko home. I'll see you around, Kurama." Yusuke said.

***

About two weeks later, there was a knock at Yusuke's apartment door. His mother was at work and the teenager had the place to himself.

The pounding on the door was incessant. Yusuke muttered a roll of swear words under his breath. He shuffled to the door and unlocked it before yanking it open. "Look, this had better be important or I'll-Keiko?"

The brunette was panting on his doorstep. "Yusuke? You have to come down to the high school right now! It's urgent. Akihabara....she was just there. She was coming to take the final exams to finish up her high school education."

Yusuke's brown eyes widened. He knew what that meant. Akita was finishing the only business that tied her to Ningenkai-school. "Give me about five minutes to get dressed. You can come in if you want. It's a bit untidy but there's space on the couch to sit."

Keiko accepted the offer. She removed her shoes and set her schoolbag near the door. She walked into the kitchen area. Keiko immediately began to tidy up.

About ten minutes later, Yusuke was ready to go and Keiko had neatened the sitting room and the kitchen.

"Jeez, Keiko, you didn't have to clean up when you walked in," commented Yusuke as he waited for Keiko to put her shoes on.

"I couldn't help it. It's not really healthy to live like a slob, Yusuke. Just cause your mother isn't around to pester you doesn't mean I'm not." Keiko reprimanded.

They walked towards the elevator and pressed the button. The elevator doors opened and the pair stepped inside.

"Do you plan to come back to school?" Keiko asked earnestly.

Yusuke shook his head. "You know school was never my scene. I'm not all that smart. What's the point of going back now? It's too late in the term anyway. You're the brains, Keiko. Not me."

Keiko sighed, shaking her head. "You're hopeless, Yusuke."

Yusuke shrugged as they reached the ground floor and began on their way to the school.

After entering through the main entrance, Keiko led the way down through the halls, past classrooms, glancing to see if there was any sign of Akita.

"Thank you very much, Sensei. I appreciate your kindness. No, I'm really all finished. There's no need to worry. I'll come to pick up my scores tomorrow." Akita slid the door open and bowed before she stepped out of the classroom and slid the door shut.

"Akita!"

Akita froze. It was Yusuke's voice, no doubt accompanied by Keiko. The first thought that came to mind was to flee. She decided against it. She pasted a smile onto her face. "Yusuke, Keiko, it's good to see you."

Yusuke stopped right in front of her. "Smile like that too much and your face might break, Akihabara."

Akita's cheeks were instantly stained with pink blush. She scuffed her shoe on the floor.

"You're not happy to see us, right?" Keiko asked.

Akita shook her head. She was actually glad to see Keiko and Yusuke. "Not at all unhappy, Keiko. Truly. I'm just here finishing up schooling. I'm going back to Makai now. Would you mind picking up my grades tomorrow, Keiko? They'll be in the main office. I'll come back for them sometime. Take care, you two." Akita smiled once more, a sincere one this time. She turned and walked down the hall towards the exit.

Yusuke and Keiko stood in a stunned silence.

"Good-bye, Akita." Yusuke murmured.

Keiko's eyes watered and Yusuke put a comforting arm around her. "Let's go, Keiko. I'll walk you home."

***

Kit rolled in the grass. The newborn pups who had just gotten accustomed to walking were jumping on top of her, nipping at her. She easily sent them all flying. Kit had been left in charge of the pups while the adults hunted. Continuing to romp with them, Kit's mind drifted. She loved being home. This was the only home she had been raised to know. And she adored the caves and the pack.

A howl of triumph filled the air.

Kit got to her feet. The hunt had been successful.

Comp came first to greet her. The other wolves trailed behind him.

The pups raced to meet the adults, well, as fast as their newly used legs could carry them.

After, Kit, Comp, Nightsong, and Hunter were gathered near the mouth of the cave while the other adults played with the pups.

Too bad you missed out. It was a cunning demon that we took down today. The fool might have gotten away if he hadn't chosen to taunt us. Forest and Scar brought the demon down easily. Comp yawned, full from the demon meat.

You may take the pups with you to go and eat or you may go alone if you wish, Nightsong suggested after agreement from Hunter.

Was it another trespasser on our territory?

Yes, another of Mukuro's. No one trespasses here. That's the fourth one this moon. I wish the fools would understand that they are not welcome here. Hunter settled down on the cave floor.

Kit knew better. The demon called Hiei was looking for her. He was testing their limits. Keep killing them, Father. They would do the same to us. Just remember to leave me to hide the remains. My tricks will keep them from finding us.

That is all we ask of you, my Kit. Hunter yawned as he rested his head on his paws and closed his eyes. Nightsong lay beside her mate and went to sleep.

Kit stretched and stood.

Shall I come with you, Sister?

Not necessary, Comp. I'm just going to go eat. I'll bring back the carcass for the pups. Kit trotted out of the cave and into the forest.

***

"Hiei, we lost another one. Number 6-7-5-0 did not return." The informer knelt on bended knee before the Koorime.

Hiei spat on the floor in disgust. "Another? What are these fools doing? Don't send anymore. Tell the idiots that if they can't fight a few wolves that they aren't any use to me whatsoever."

"Yes, sir." The informer quickly left to leave the infuriated Koorime alone.

Hiei sighed after the demon had departed. Those damn wolves... You're trespassing... That thought echoed through his mind. Immediately, Akita came to mind. He tried to block out the memory of her but it was like an overpowering wave in the ocean of his thoughts. He winced as the memories poured into his skull.

"Master Hiei, Mukuro wishes to see you." A guard at the door had entered.

"Tell her I'm coming."

***

That night, Hiei sat up in a tree waiting to sleep. His thoughts drifted and they settled upon Hiei's least favorite thought. Akita. Drifting between Mukuro and Akita, Hiei sighed. He cared greatly for Mukuro. He had slowed his feelings for Akita to a tiny trickle. The Koorime could handle that tiny amount. The times when he was alone, the tiny amount became a powerful and strong flowing river that burst through the wall around his heart and filled him with feelings he had never felt before or ones he didn't want to feel again.

As the wind settled and everything was quiet, Hiei sighed. He recalled a memory that broke that dam around his feelings every time.

Akita looked at Hiei, faintly smiling. "You know, wolves mate for life..."

"Mating is painful for demons. You know that." Hiei commented, avoiding Akita's dark eyes.

"Am I not worth the pain?" Akita asked softly, not allowing her eyes to reflect the hurt she was feeling.

"If something were to happen to either of us..." Hiei began, trying to avoid answering.

Akita removed herself from Hiei's grip. She listened to the thunder and picked up her sword. "Farewell, Hiei." She raced from the temple, vanishing into the thickening fog and the pelting rain, leaving Hiei to stand emotionlessly at the window.

".....good-bye, Akita..."

The pain and hurt he had glimpsed in the girl's eyes hurt him every time he thought of it. Why had his rejection caused the one he loved so much pain? Secretly, he understood. He knew Akita would never forgive him for it. He'd eventually have to accept it fully. The Koorime-kitsune would never return to him. His potential mate, the only one he wanted to spend his life with, was lost to him forever. That very thought broke the part that Akita had made up of him.

Forcing his eyes shut, the Koorime made himself go to sleep. To forget...to dream...to hope he'd never wake again...without her by his side.

***

Kit curled and uncurled. She was unable to sleep. She ventured from the cave and her sleeping pack to gaze upward at the moon. She often glimpsed crimson orbs boring back into her. She hated it...

A low growl echoed nearby.

Kit looked up to the ledge that overlooked the cave. A gray wolf was nestled there. Loner...

It's only you, Kit. What's wrong? Is something bothering you? You shouldn't be out here... Loner leapt down to land softly on the ground. He trotted up to Kit and nudged her.

I was...remembering. It hurts to have memories. Loner...did you ever have a mate?

The gray wolf regarded her cautiously. Yes, I did. She was a beautiful as the moon itself. After we had mated, something happened. She betrayed me. Moon had tried to find another mate. By our custom, the only way you can choose a different mate is if the mate you already have is killed. Another pack, whose leader had chosen her for his own, was after my blood. If I was killed, there would be no shame in taking my mate.

One night, Moon and I were hunting. She lured me into an area where that enemy pack was waiting. I killed two wolves after I had heard of Moon's betrayal. With blood dripping from my muzzle and my eyes glowing red, the opposing pack fled, Moon with them. Loner had a melancholy look in his eyes. Our pups would have been beautiful...as Moon was. Would you ever find another like Hiei? Someone worthy enough to be your mate?

Kit regarded the lone wolf for a moment. Would you find another Moon? Another wolf who shone with the beauty she possessed? No, Loner, never would I find a mate such as Hiei. Maybe other possible mates...but never one I could love as I did him...No, that isn't right. I do still. With all my heart I still love him. I will never stop. If only I could...perhaps this misery would end...

Loner nodded his agreement. Moon's spirit can and will never leave me. I gave her a part of myself. A part that I wish I could take back.

Kit was again filled with emptiness. I'll take over the watch, Loner. Get some rest now.

Loner licked Kit's muzzle. We all love you, Kit. Including myself. Never hesitate to talk with me again. The wolf trotted back to the cave, leaving the confused wolf to sort out her mind.

Kit stared up at the moon. She had glimpsed something in Loner's green eyes. It wasn't the love all the pack shared for one another. It was the sort of love she had seen in Hiei's eyes. Circling once, she flopped down into the grass. Looking at the moon, she let forth a howl, one of mourning. One mourning the one she loved.

Author's Note: Please review or give me input somehow.... you know the drill. Thanks for reading and I hope you enjoyed it.