Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Lost and Found: Love ❯ Unforgettable Memory; An Unlikely Kidnapper ( Chapter 12 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
A Past Love
Chapter 12: Unforgettable Memory; An Unlikely Kidnapper
by AngelK
Author's Note: This is my first Yu Yu Hakusho story I've written. I like comments and suggestions/criticism. But, if you don't like this story as you read it, it's kind of pointless just to tell me how much you hated it and how terrible I am. So, I want a reason for why you dislike it so much if you do. If you see a problem with it, state it. Otherwise, enjoy yourself. If you wouldn’t mind, a review would be nice.
Disclaimer: This is a story based upon characters of Yu Yu Hakusho. It is for entertainment purposes only.

Five years had passed in this painful manner of brooding and mourning.
Hiei had decided to return to Ningenkai to see how everyone had been.
***
A knock came at the door.
“I’ll answer it, Mother.” A red-haired male opened the door. “Hiei?”
The Koorime glared at Kurama for a moment. Then, the corner his mouth twitched upward. “Hello, kitsune. I assume you’ve been well?”
Kurama smiled. “Won’t you come in, Hiei?”
The dark-haired demon agreed and entered into Kurama’s house. After removing his boots at the door, Hiei stood uncomfortably in the hall.
“Want anything to eat? Or drink?” Kurama asked.
Hiei shrugged.
“Why don’t we just talk? It’s been awhile.” The redhead suggested.
Hiei nodded and followed Kurama into the sitting room. He sat on an easy chair opposite of the couch that Kurama sat on.
“So, how’s Makai? Have you been living the way you want to?” Kurama queried.
“It’s fine. I enjoy myself. Don’t have to account to anyone besides Mukuro...” Hiei was lost in thought for a moment.“Then why do you look so sad?”
Hiei snapped back to the conversation. “How can you-”
“It’s on your face. You miss Akita, don’t you?” Kurama asked.
Hiei’s temper flared. “Why must everything always be because of her? What makes you think I still care?!”
Kurama smiled.
“Stop your smiling. You’re acting like I’m inferior to you...” Hiei grumbled.
“If you didn’t care, it wouldn’t agitate you if I asked you. So, you already answered my question. Have you seen her lately? She hasn’t been seen by anyone since Keiko and Yusuke saw her at the school. That was about five years ago.”
Hiei changed topic quickly. “So, how are Yusuke and Keiko by the way? And Yukina? The fool as well...”
“Yusuke and Keiko...they’re planning on getting married this summer. Kuwabara visits Yukina daily after he gets done with college classes and work. He really loves her. But, he’d never ask her to marry him. Their love is the pure and simple kind. Besides, you’d butcher him if he asked her, wouldn’t you?” Kurama asked.
Hiei smirked. “I’d consider it...but, Yukina would be sad over it. I would never want that.”
“Why don’t we go and visit Yusuke? We can even visit Yukina if you’d like.” Kurama offered.
“I’d like that. I haven’t seen the detective in a long time. I wonder if he’s changed...”
“Mother, I’m going out to visit some friends. I’ll be back by dinnertime.” Kurama went to the door and put his shoes on.
Hiei followed suit and they departed from the house.
***
Soon, the two stood outside Yusuke’s door. Kurama knocked at the door.
“Who is it?” asked a male’s voice.
“Just come and open the door, Detective.” Hiei called.
The door opened abruptly.
Yusuke grinned widely. “Come on in, guys. I was just cleaning up the place.”
Kurama and Hiei obliged and entered.
“Don’t mind the mess. I just moved into this apartment. Rented a bigger one for Keiko and I. More space, ya know? We’re supposed to be going to the movies later but I’m free until about seven. So, let’s catch up. I haven’t seen either of you in awhile. Move whatever you want so you can sit down.” Yusuke said. He traveled over to the refrigerator, picking his way through boxes and got a couple cans of soda. He tossed one to Hiei and another to Kurama. He popped it open and took a long drink. “So, how have you been? Kurama? Hiei?”
“Things have been fine.” Kurama replied.
“How’s your mom? She alright?” Yusuke asked.
“Very well. Thank you for asking.” Kurama smiled.
“How about it, Hiei? Makai better than here?” Yusuke queried.
“Yes, immensely. But, you humans...and demons masquerading as humans.... don’t share my agreement.” Hiei muttered as he looked at the sliding glass doors that led to a balcony.
“How’s Keiko? You’re still planning to get married, right?” Kurama questioned.
Yusuke grinned happily. “Yup. Only a few more months before we tie the knot. I can’t wait. I love her so much. It’s not too bad. I work days and get off in time to spend the night with her.”
Hiei growled and stormed out onto the balcony.
Yusuke and Kurama glanced at each other. Yusuke continued, “How about Akita? You haven’t heard from her, Kurama, have you?”
“Nothing. And Hiei’s incredibly agitated at the sound of her name. But, truthfully, I think he just misses her.” Kurama commented.
Hiei gritted his teeth as he tried to block out the conversation going on indoors. “Stupid kitsune....always right....” He crushed his aluminum can in his grip and continued to mutter irritably. He should’ve never come to the human world. At least brooding alone was better than to have everyone know why he was brooding.
Another knock came at the door. “Urameshi, it’s me!”
Yusuke groaned. “Kuwabara, the door’s open.”
The young male came into the room, grinning goofily. “Hey, Kurama. Didn’t realize Urameshi had company. Guess I’m not paying too much attention to sensing stuff anymore. I was just gonna head over to Genkai’s. Want to come?”
Hiei shuffled back into the room, pausing to glare at Kuwabara. “Hello, Fool. Brain cell number reduce again?”
“Listen here, Shrimp. You haven’t gotten any taller and I can still pound you into the ground if I wanted to.” Kuwabara remarked.
“Don’t act like such an idiot. I could cut you down from where you stand, you big oaf.” Hiei responded coolly.
“How’s Akita? Been a man and talk to her yet?” Kuwabara asked.
Hiei glowered.
“Akita is not a good conversation topic. How about we head out now? Let’s go.” Yusuke pushed Kuwabara from the room, followed by Kurama with Hiei taking up the rear.
“Damn ningens....” Hiei muttered.
***
Kit rolled over onto her feet. Shaking the sleep from her body, she stretched lazily. She was still warm from the sun and felt like running. Deciding on her destination, the wolf took off.
***
The wolf slunk close around where Mukuro and her followers lived. Keeping her nose close to the ground to shift through scents, she finally picked up the one she needed.
Guards patrolled around everywhere. But, they didn’t notice a shadow colored wolf slink past them.
The scent was heavy in the air and Kit raced through the halls, the smell clogging her senses. She finally found the room.
The walls were dark and there was only a single bed and a wooden trunk at the foot of the bed.
Kit trotted inside and quickly transformed. Akita lifted the lid of the trunk. She removed a dark cloak from inside. Lifting it to her nose, she breathed in the scent. Tears sprang up in her eyes. She wiped her eyes. “I didn’t think coming here would make this ache so much worse...” Wrapping the cloak about her, Akita wept silently. An all-consuming ache filled her. She closed her eyes and leaned against the trunk. Sleep overwhelmed her and she was out in moments.
***
Hiei made his way back from Ningenkai. He had seen everyone of importance. ....Except for Akita... The Koorime growled inwardly. Why was even his mind against him lately? He was tempted to stop that trickle of emotion completely.
“Welcome back, Hiei,” commented the guard on duty.
Hiei held up his hand in greeting and continued to his room. He paused. There was a different scent in the air. It smelled like rain and a hint of flowers. He knew that scent all too well.***
Akita opened her eyes abruptly. It had been awhile since she had dreamed of anything besides hunting. She had been wandering through a darkness...a nothingness. Then, she had smelled fire and clean. It was Hiei. Quickly bolting from the room, she forced the window up. Shifting skins, Kit, her thin and lithe body very flexible, scrambled through the opening into the pelting rain. She blended with the shadows and did her best to disappear.
***
Hiei burst into his room. The window was wide open with rain splattering the floor. He closed it and looked around the room. No one was there. He picked up a cloak and opened his trunk, placing it inside absently. Then he realized that the cloak hadn’t been out. “Akita...were you here?” Tired, he closed the trunk and collapsed into the bed, not removing his boots.
***
Kit once again approached where Hiei had been living. She paused outside the gate, checking for guards. When she saw no one, she entered onto the grounds. Instantly, something hit her in the side. She lashed out, struggling against someone. Fatigue overtook her and she collapsed to the ground.
“Did it work? That tranquilizer wasn’t too strong, was it?” A male voice asked.
“Perfect. Mukuro will be pleased we caught her. Hiei as well.” His companion replied.
***
Hiei meandered through the forest. Pine needles carpeted the ground and made his footsteps nearly inaudible. He felt something tugging at his mind. Something was uneasy around here. It was much too quiet. No...that wasn’t it. Something was just out of place.
Akita...
It was as if the forest rang with her essence. The very wind carried her spirit.
Danger...
The Koorime took off out of the forest, running from some unknown and unseen enemy.
Loner left the area of underbrush. He had planted the idea firmly in the fleeing demon’s mind. Kit...the one he had grown to love...was in danger...
***
Akita opened her eyes groggily. Her side burned and her head ached. Where was she exactly?
“You’re in my chambers, Wolf Girl.” A voice said in reply to her question.
Akita tugged at her restraints. Metal....no good. Not with someone watching... She quickly scrambled her thoughts and glared at the young woman watching her. “And do I have the pleasure of meeting the one called Mukuro?”
Before Mukuro had time to answer, a very irritated fire demon stormed inside. “What the hell is the meaning of this, Mukuro?!” Hiei demanded after he saw Akita strapped to the wall.
“Well, if it isn’t my favorite being in the universe. Did you hire them to catch me? Or is this an added bonus for you?!” Akita snapped harshly, sarcasm dripping from her voice.
Hiei growled with an equal rage. “Do you think I’m glad to see your damn face? I was going to step in for you but I might as well let them kill you. Your pack slaughtered enough of ours.”
“My pack did what they know best. Hunting trespassers is a part of our duty.” Akita replied.
“And I suppose making their remains disappear is a habit they picked up from you?” Hiei asked.
Akita ignored Hiei’s last comment and looked at Mukuro. Anger and rage filled her mind. This was who Hiei had chosen over her? What kind of idiot was he? She wanted answers. She wanted them now. The Koorime-kitsune would have to play her cards carefully to get what she wanted. “Well, I’m one of the pack. I give them some things that help. Besides, your men would have killed me if they had the chance. You were looking for me. It’s written all over your face and all of your thoughts too. Any other thoughts you’d like me to broadcast for Mukuro? Or, should we continue squabbling back and forth? It is fair lovely.”
Hiei glared at Akita, wishing he could pierce her with his red eyes.
“Mind reading coming easier for me? Wonderful deduction, ignoramus. I’ve been living in the demon wolf form for the past five years. Oh, did I mention these wolves communicate only through telepathy? By the way, toxins barely have any effect on me...” Akita paused as she turned her flashing eyes upon Mukuro. “Although, this tranquilizer you shot me with has a very odd sort of combination of poisons. At least I’m immune to it now. Shall I answer anything else you two have in mind? Or I can keep pulling random thoughts from your mind.” Akita grinned, pleased she had irritated them both.
“Why don’t we just dispose of this girl? She’s painfully annoying and if you don’t kill her, I will.” Mukuro said to Hiei.
“That’s what I was afraid of. Sorry, Mukuro and Hiei, but I won’t allow you to kill me. I’m afraid it’s time for me to leave. I’ve gotten all I need from you.” Akita nodded towards Mukuro. “Which, I may add, was next to nothing. But...”
The dimly lit room was filled with white light.
“...you are coming with me. I need answers out of you, Koorime...”
When the light vanished, Hiei was gone. Akita as well as her chains had disappeared without a trace.
***
“Wake up, Sunshine. We’re here. Besides, you’ve had enough sleep for the both of us.”
Hiei opened his eyes only to close them in pain as they were blasted with bright sunlight. He went to sit up and found himself unable to. His arms and legs were restrained. Hiei relied upon his Jagan to see what was wrong. There were restraints along with thick cord around his ankles and his wrists. He swore. He could’ve melted both things. Only problem: spirit energy was woven into the items as a third binding. Well, his wrists were in a lot of pain at the moment. He could burn through the two others. Focusing, he put all his energy into melting through the metal and the cord.
“Hold that thought, Hiei.”
The cords and restraints were loosened slightly. Hiei was now capable of flexing his hands. Another moment and his legs were freed.
Gentle hands wrapped around his wrists. With a grunt, the female hauled the Koorime to his feet. “Stop being dead weight. Unless you want to burn in the sun, you’ll start walking like normal.”
Hiei took a step forward, still letting his weight drag.
“Damn it, Hiei...” She groaned but began to drag him. She continued some mild swearing until she let Hiei’s body slump to the ground. “Pain in my ass. I would’ve been better coming here myself...” Akita gazed out towards the ocean.
Blue-green waves lapped at the sandy shore. Salty air blew through on a light breeze.
Akita smiled as she closed her eyes. The sun kissed her closed eyelids. Leaving Hiei in the shade of a palm tree, she ran for the water, splattering herself with ocean droplets in the process.
Hiei relaxed against the palm tree and watched as Akita threw herself into the water with a shriek of happiness. A light smile crossed his face momentarily until the usual scowl replaced it. He was with her for a short time and she was making him go soft already. The Koorime decided upon sleep and settled into a calm and serene sleep.
***
When Hiei opened his eyes, the light was much softer. The sun was sinking below the watery horizon and the air was getting chilly. He gazed farther down the beach until he saw a figure wrapped in a blanket seated upon the white sand. Straining his hearing, he heard crying. As he watched Akita’s shoulders rise and fall with soft sobs, he looked away.
The waves washed gently up onto the shore. The water looked reddish orange with a hint of pink from the setting sun and the sky’s reflection. It was a truly beautiful place.
“Blanket?” A voice offered.
Hiei’s garnet colored eyes met Akita’s onyx ones. She held his gaze for a few minutes. He glimpsed something deep inside of Akita until she let out a squeak.
“Ouch! Just cause I offer you a blanket doesn’t mean you can burn me.” Akita snapped. She rubbed at her delicate eyes. He had pierced her mind...and now her eyes were burning.
Hiei shook his head to try and soothe his headache but only made the pain worse. “Well, your mind just gave me enough a shock to give me a painful headache.”
“If you hadn’t been trying to pry into my brain with your damn Jagan, my mind wouldn’t have given you such a jolt. That stupid thing is like a Peeping Tom in my brain.” Akita muttered angrily. Blinking a few more times and periods of closing her eyes was enough so she was capable of seeing again. She re-offered the blanket to Hiei, avoiding his piercing eyes. “Here, it’s yours. Either you can sleep here or go and sleep in there on the bed.” Akita jerked her thumb back over her shoulder.
Hiei could see a small shack behind the girl. “That your summer house?”
Akita glared at him. “For your information, that was my old house. I used to live there when I was younger. Maybe about a hundred years ago. I’m surprised it’s still standing. I wasn’t too great of a builder then. Just something that would keep me from getting soaked in a downpour.” She paused.
“In there, I guess.” Hiei replied before Akita could continue upon a lecture which he could feel would follow.
“Suit yourself. Shall I carry you again?” The Koorime-kitsune raised an eyebrow.
“I’ll walk willingly.” Hiei responded curtly.
“Good. On your feet then.” Akita gently pulled him to his feet.
Hiei stood and walked after the girl slowly. His muscles hurt from sitting so long and his head still ached.
Akita pushed the door open.
Hiei walked inside. There was a candle burning on a table. There was a bare cot in one corner and a chair near the table.
“It’s not much.”
Hiei shrugged and wished he could stretch his aching shoulders as he continued to look around, not paying attention to Akita. That’s when he felt his restraints being loosened with the slice of a dagger. A whistle and the chains crumbled.
“Good night...” A whisper and the door closed.
Hiei looked around the room. He looked at the table where the folded blanket lay beside the candle. He was hungry and still strangely tired. The Koorime made his way to the cot after extinguishing the candle and let the darkness envelop him into more peaceful sleep.
***
Akita stood outside the door, trembling. Fighting the start of tears, she walked down near the water. Laying her blanket far enough from the waves when the tide came in, she laid on it and looked up at the stars. Tracing the air with a fingertip, only one thought resounded through her head. “Do you think I’m glad to see your damn face? I was going to step in for you but I might as well let them kill you...”
The waves lapped gently upon the shore in a soothing manner.
Akita bit her lip as tears started to sting her eyes. It had hurt when he had said that. Had he said it out of rage? Or did he really mean it? She fought the surge of tears, biting her lip hard enough that it bled.
The full moon shone brightly, reflecting off of the ocean’s surface. After another moment of quiet, even the soft music of the ocean couldn’t ease Akita into sleep. She was too restless. Akita sat up. I need to see Kurama... She stood, folding her blanket. Cautiously, she went towards where Hiei was probably asleep. Opening the door noiselessly, she peered inside.
Hiei lay on the cot, sound asleep.
Akita silently placed the blanket, Hiei’s katana, and a folded piece of paper on top of the other blanket that still was on the table. She touched a fingertip to the candle and a small ember instantly began burning. Exiting quickly, Akita went back to the beach. She placed her hand, palm facing down, into the sand and pressed hard, leaving an imprint. Transforming into a wolf, she left a paw print and trotted along the shore, vanishing into the maze of coves and cliffs.
***
Akita had made good time. She had been traveling for less than two days. She had stopped at the pack caves and said her good-byes and made promises to return. Traveling back in her demon form was easiest. She was much more agile and easily leapt from tree to tree. She’d make it to Ningenkai in a couple more hours. Pausing on a sturdy branch to rest and catch her breath, Akita sighed. Hiei had probably made his way back to Mukuro’s by now. You’re the one who chose to leave him... Her conscience chided her. Akita growled to her conscience and again took up her journey, flying through the trees with ease.
Author’s Note: Please review or give me input somehow.... you know the drill. Thanks for reading and I hope you enjoyed it.

Converting /tmp/phpGLgzif to /dev/stdout