Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Lost and Found: Love ❯ A Life Without Hiei; Final Farewell ( Chapter 13 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
A Past Love
Chapter 13: A Life Without Hiei; Final Farewell
by AngelK
Author's Note: This is my first Yu Yu Hakusho story I've written. I like comments and suggestions/criticism. But, if you don't like this story as you read it, it's kind of pointless just to tell me how much you hated it and how terrible I am. So, I want a reason for why you dislike it so much if you do. If you see a problem with it, state it. Otherwise, enjoy yourself. If you wouldn’t mind, a review would be nice.
Disclaimer: This is a story based upon characters of Yu Yu Hakusho. It is for entertainment purposes only.


It was late and the streets were empty.
Akita remained in her demon form. She enjoyed scaring the drunks and the prostitutes. If they ever reported her, the police wouldn’t give it a second thought. Walking nonchalantly down the streets, she continued on until she entered an area populated with homes. Looking for any home that looked familiar to her, she spotted the one where Kurama lived. After leaping over the wall that surrounded his house, she surveyed the house, looking for Kurama’s spirit energy and scent. Finding it, she began to climb up the large weeping cherry tree, swinging easily up onto a branch level with his bedroom window.
A lock barred the window shut.
Akita smirked at the simplicity. When she had been a thief, locks had been her specialty. Searching out the treasure came fairly easy but she had been the only one able to pick locks, open closed doors, and create keys. She’d often prided herself in being what some called an Opener. Whistling softly, the lock glowed gold but remained stubbornly shut. Akita extended a finger and worked at the mechanism with a claw.
The lock clicked.
With satisfaction, Akita slid the window open and crawled through the space. Turning, she closed the window and surveyed the bedroom.
Kurama lay on his side, asleep.
Akita didn’t want to disturb him when he was this peaceful. Sleep was often rare for people and she nor her brother were an exception to the rule. She noticed a closet. Opening it, she crawled inside. Making space among some books, she boxed herself in cozily and fell asleep.
***
“Good morning, Akita.” A voice commented softly.
Akita sat up abruptly and made the walls of books she had created around herself tumble all over the floor. “I’m so sorry, Kurama. I’ll clean it up.” She quickly began picking up the scattered books and stacking them neatly again.
Kurama laughed lightly. He was dressed and he handed Akita a cup of tea. “To wake you up.” He explained kindly.
Akita accepted the cup with her claws and sipped it gently. The tea cleared her mind and she finished putting the books away and closed the closet. “Did your mother already leave for work?”
“Yes, early this morning. Smart of you to hide in the closet. I’m to be meeting Yusuke for lunch when he’s on his work break. Would you care to join me?” Kurama asked.
Akita’s eyes widened. “Did I sleep that late? I’m sorry. I didn’t want to wake you this morning when I came...it was twilight only and you were sleeping....”
“It’s alright. Obviously you haven’t been getting much sleep. Why don’t you take a shower? The bathroom’s down the hallway.” Kurama suggested.
Akita shook her head. “I can’t stand changing back into these clothes. When are you meeting Yusuke? I’ll go home and come back. I haven’t had a chance to shampoo my hair in so long. I’ll look a wreck if I don’t go and clean up.”
“Around 1 o’clock. It’s 10:30 now. Why don’t you come back at 11:30? We can talk for awhile. Would you like that?” Kurama asked.
“Very much.” Akita then walked towards the window.
“Um...Akita....you can use the front door. And, I suggest changing back into your human form.” Kurama commented.
“But I look horrible. My hair’s all matted...and I’ve gotten much thinner. The clothes will hang on me...” Akita whined.
Kurama sighed. “Then just be careful...”
Akita grinned and left through the window.
***
A polite knock came at the door.
Kurama opened the door and smiled. “You look better.”
With her dark hair groomed to shining perfection, her onyx eyes sparkling, and her skin glowing from cleanliness, Akita returned the smile. “I feel better too. I don’t look like I crawled out of a pit.” She walked inside wearing the outfit she had bought with Keiko on their long ago shopping trip.
“You look very nice. Dressing up for anyone in particular?” Kurama teased.
Akita blushed. “Only you and Yusuke. Who else would there be?”
“Perhaps you have an old human acquaintance that you were planning on meeting. What do you need to talk about?” Kurama queried as they settled down in the kitchen.
“It’s about Hiei...” Akita began.
Kurama nodded.
“I don’t know if I should love him anymore... It’s apparent he doesn’t love me much anymore if at all. It just hurts to think of him. I just have this nagging ache inside of my heart. Kurama...what should I do?” Akita asked softly. She had never been able to forgive Hiei. Too many times he had left her...could she bring herself to forgive him? All the times she’d cried...She’d teleported Hiei and herself to the beach just so she could see him after so long. The questions that she had wanted to ask him...every one had been forgotten when Hiei had treated her with anger, bitterness, and even strong dislike and hatred.
“Oh, Akita...” Kurama smiled. “What do you think you should do?”
Akita stuttered. “T-Th-That’s....that’s what I’m...asking...you. I don’t know what to do.”
“It’s in your heart, Akita. The answer that is. You just haven’t been looking hard enough for it.” Kurama extended his hand and cupped her chin. “The answer lies in your feelings, Akita. How do you feel?” He withdrew his hand and studied her.
“Confused...afraid...sad... all because of Hiei. But...I love him more than any other being in the universe. I really truly do.”
“Then answer your own question. What should you do?” Kurama questioned.
“I shouldn’t stop loving him. I couldn’t...even if I tried. I miss him so much...” Akita murmured.
“We’d better go and meet Yusuke. Come on.” Kurama said.
Akita nodded feebly and followed Kurama outside.
***
A black haired young man scuffed his shoe on the sidewalk. Kurama was late. His friend never was late....Yusuke was usually the one racing to meet the redhead cause he was running late. Truthfully, Yusuke had been fifteen minutes late and he’d been waiting for ten minutes.
“Yusuke! Sorry we’re late.” Kurama called.
“It’s fine...wait a second... ‘we’?!” Yusuke asked, bewildered.
“Don’t you recognize me, Yusuke Urameshi?” A quizzical voice asked.
Yusuke looked at Kurama’s companion and his eyes grew wide. “A...Akita!”
Akita’s grin couldn’t possibly get wider without breaking her face. “Yusuke!” She hugged him tightly. “I hoped you hadn’t forgotten your old friend.”
“Forgotten you? Jeez, what have you been doing all these years? How are you? I’ve missed seeing you. How is everything? The wolves? Are they all doing okay? I’m still grateful for what they did for Keiko.” Yusuke rambled.
“Um...I’ve been living with the pack who are all very well. I’m doing fairly well and things are good.” Akita’s eyes clouded over with an emotion that Yusuke recognized as grief.
Yusuke placed a hand on her shoulder. “And Hiei?”
Akita wouldn’t meet his gaze. “I left him on a beach. He’s back with Mukuro now I imagine. Can we go and get some lunch? I’m starving.” She looked up and met Yusuke’s brown eyes with her sad black ones.
“Sure thing. I can’t wait until I tell Keiko that you’re back. I’m so glad.” Yusuke grinned widely.
“Me too, Yusuke. Me too...” Akita said softly.
***
After an enjoyable lunch, Akita extended an invitation for Kurama, Yusuke, Keiko, and anyone else who wanted to come to her house for dinner.
“Sounds great. I haven’t had your cooking in ages. You still cook good, right?” Yusuke asked anxiously.
“Yup, so get ready to drool. I’ll make all my specialty dishes.” Akita declared with a wink.
“Can’t wait. Around 7, okay? I’ve got to head back to work or I might get fired. It’ll be the third time I’ve been late this month. See you both later!” Yusuke called as he left his share of the bill and quickly exited.
Akita smiled contentedly. “I’m glad he’s still the same. Things wouldn’t be okay if Yusuke had changed...”
“You’re right about that. Shall we go?” Kurama asked.
Akita paid her part of the bill. “I’m going to run grocery shopping for food for tonight. If you want to come, you’re more than welcome. I’ll need help carrying the bags.”
***
“Do I look alright, Akita?” Keiko smoothed back her brown hair.
“Beautiful and breath taking, Keiko. Yusuke’s going to have a heart attack...” Akita replied with a smile as she helped her best friend continue to dress.
“Someday, at your wedding day, this will be you. Hopefully I’ll be the one helping you get ready,” Keiko wiped a teary eye.
Akita embraced her dear friend warmly. “I wouldn’t have anyone else, Keiko.”
A knock came at the door.
“Girls? It’s Mrs. Yukemura. May I come in?” A female voice asked.
“Your mom. You two need some time alone. I have to go and find Kurama anyways.” Akita patted Keiko’s arm. “I’ll be outside. I’ll come back soon, okay? Have your mother come and tell me to come back.” Akita opened the door and Mrs. Yukemura entered.
“Keiko sweetheart, let me finish getting you all ready...” Keiko’s mother insisted.
Akita slipped noiselessly from the room. Closing the door silently, she rested against it for support. Her wedding day...it was laughable. Like that will ever happen... At least Keiko has someone like Yusuke to look beautiful for in that white kimono... With that as her last thought, she left to find Kurama.
***
Hiei traveled to Ningenkai at a steady pace. He was deep in thought and noticed nothing. How dare Mukuro think that I’d take orders... How does she think that I can choose?!
***
“Ah, Hiei, the very person I needed to see. I needed to speak with you.” Mukuro stated.
“You summoned me in the first place.” Hiei responded.
“Oh, quite right. Are you completely loyal to me, Hiei?” Mukuro questioned.
Hiei’s eyes narrowed. “What makes you think I’m disloyal? Who has been telling you lies?” He asked with rising anger.
“It’s just a curiosity of mine. Would you choose to remain with me rather than to go with that wolf girl?” The female asked thoughtfully.
Hiei opened his mouth to reply but nothing came out. He himself didn’t have an answer as to what he would do. Finally, he managed to get his voice box working. “...I...I really do not know, Mukuro...”
Mukuro looked surprised. “Really? Well, you have one week to decide. A week from today you must tell me your decision in person or by messenger. Whatever the choice, I will not hold it against you.”
Hiei gritted his teeth but nodded in agreement and left Mukuro’s chambers.
***
Hiei again gritted his teeth. What kind of choice was there? The person he was loyal to or the person he loved? Akita...every time he thought of her...it hurt his heart. He needed to see her again without being seen himself. Then, the decision could be made. If she saw him, hostile words would be exchanged as they usually were. He didn’t want that anymore.
Hiei didn’t hold grudges...he just had a tendency to let his temper get the better of him.
Continuing on, he passed through the forest and raced toward Ningenkai.
***
“I finally tracked you two down. Hiding out?” Akita parted the overhanging tree branches to peer inside the shaded area.
“Kurama got the tree to hide us. I just couldn’t stay with all the noise. Makes me wish Keiko and I had eloped or we had just invited our closest friends rather than family.” Yusuke sighed.
“But family is so important, Yusuke. Would you really not want your mother here?” Kurama asked gently.
Yusuke smiled a little. “Well, when you put it that way...she was the one who brought me up...bad as it was...but it’s still my mom. When’s this thing start anyways?”
Akita laughed lightly. “You don’t know when your own wedding starts?”
“Be serious now. You’ve gone to school with me for how many years. Do you really think I pay attention to details yet?” Yusuke asked with a quizzical brow raised.
***
Hiei leaned his back against the tree, letting his head rest against the trunk, his hands linked behind his head. He missed hearing Akita’s laugh. Looking down, he saw the tree branches part again and Akita, followed by Yusuke, walked out into the sun.
A few moments later and the branches parted naturally and Kurama entered out into the open air. He looked up and saw Hiei instantly. “Ah, Hiei, I see you’ve decided to come. It’s good to see you.”
Hiei jumped down to the ground. “Yes, I’m here. Any other inquiries from you?”
“Why?” Kurama asked.
Hiei glowered for a moment, steam beginning to rise from his body. “Excuse me, fox? I was invited here. Why else would I be here?”
“You specifically refused the invitation. You told the messenger to be gone from your sight or you’d crisp him on the spot,” Kurama commented with a smile.
Hiei opened his mouth and closed it again, his lips forming a thin, straight line. He calmed down and gathered his composure. “So I did. But, I’m here now. Kurama...” Hiei averted his eyes. “Your sister. Where has she gone?”
“To get married.” Kurama replied with a straight face.
“What sort of joke is that? I know that this is for Keiko and Yusuke.” Hiei said sharply.
“Haven’t you ever heard of a double wedding?” Kurama asked.
Hiei’s face paled slightly and he turned away, muttering. “I’m leaving then. What’s the sense of coming? These ningen affairs are completely pointless.”
“You should at least stay for Yusuke. He really would like you here.” Kurama smiled.
Hiei began to walk away.
“And I’m sure Akita would be happy to see you too.” Kurama said softly.
Hiei turned back around slowly.
“I just wanted to see your reaction if Akita was getting married. She’s loved no one else but you. You have nothing to worry about. Except for Akita’s wrath perhaps.” Kurama grinned.
“Fox...when will you ever stop making me guess about everything? Is it just because you’re being protective of your little sister?” Hiei snapped.
“If she wasn’t worth waiting for, Hiei, you would never come back.” Kurama reminded the Koorime.
Hiei turned and began to walk away, leaving Kurama under the shade of the tree.
“Something’s changed within him. He seems different.” Kurama observed as he watched the demon’s slow and deliberate pace.
***
After the wedding ceremony, a reception followed. Akita departed from the guests with a soft “Be back soon” to Kurama. She walked out past the gardens and the grove of trees. Entering into a large meadow of wildflowers, Akita threw herself back against the soft and sweet smelling cushion. Petals blew past her towards the sky and the wind ruffled her hair and her lavender colored kimono.
Hiei watched Akita from his point in a tree. He went to change his position as he felt something itch his back and a branch cracked off.
Akita’s head snapped up to look at the large, leafy tree. “Who’s there?!” She demanded.
Hiei mentally muttered a bunch of words, cursing himself.
“I’m going to slice this tree down if you don’t show yourself.” Akita’s voice was right beneath the tree.
Hiei sighed and dropped down from the tree to the ground. He looked down, blushing lightly. He had landed right at Akita’s feet.
“Hiei? Is that you?” Akita raised a curious eyebrow.
“Of course. Who else would it be?” Hiei snapped irritably as he looked up to meet her eyes. He instantly regretted answering in a snippy manner when Akita was being quite civilized with him.
“I’m just surprised is all. I wasn’t expecting you to be here. Sorry if I disturbed you.” A sad smile was across Akita’s face.
Hiei tilted his head. “What’s the matter? You look troubled.”
Akita turned away from him, her hair fell to shadow her face. “You won’t ever see me again.”
Hiei froze, stunned. “What?!”
Akita balled her fists up. “I’m going away. I’m going to Makai to stay. An old comrade of mine needs some assistance in her next raid. I’ve known her for too many years. I can’t abandon her now. Nariko came to me a few months ago. She’s desperate for an Opener. I promised after Keiko and Yusuke’s wedding that I’d come and work with her permanently. I’m just glad I got to see you once more.” Akita turned to face him full on. Wind blew through her raven colored tresses and her lower lip trembled as she walked towards him. Resting her hands gently on his shoulders, she smiled. “I’m just glad I got to say good-bye. I’m happy I was able to meet you. Anyway, I just wanted to say-”
Her words were abruptly cut off as Hiei pulled her into a kiss.
Akita struggled against him for a moment but then relaxed into the kiss. She moved her hands so that her arms settled softly upon his shoulders.
Hiei released her. “You have no idea as to how long I’ve wanted to kiss you like that.”
Akita smiled crookedly. “I think I can imagine somewhat. If you’ve felt like I have. But...Hiei...this doesn’t change things. You’re still loyal to Mukuro. I’m loyal to my comrade, Nariko. There is no in between. We have to return to reality no matter what.” She ran her smooth hand up Hiei’s cheek. “I love you. I want what you want. But, I also know it would be pointless for you to wait for me. I could be gone for at least ten years. Things can change a lot in that time. Yusuke and Keiko could have kids by then. You could be with someone else by then. And I don’t want you to wait for me. I just want your happiness.” Akita smiled with glistening eyes.
Hiei calmly wiped her tears away. “Please, don’t shed any tears. You’ve done too much of that for me. I want your happiness too. And I know deep down I’d break your heart if I loved another. I never will though. Your memory is engraved upon my heart, mate or not. You will always be mine. Forever.”
Akita threw her arms around Hiei. “Forever.”
Hiei drew her close and kissed her hair. “....forever...” He whispered huskily.
Akita looked up into his garnet colored orbs.
Hiei kissed her nose and claimed her lips again into a long, drawn-out kiss. He then released her from his arms. “I’m going to come looking for you.”
“Don’t bother. I’ll know where to find you. Well, we’ll find each other nevertheless.” She kissed his cheek and walked away slowly. Stopping a few yards away, she blew a phantom kiss towards him.
The kiss touched his lips, leaving an icy cold upon them but a warm fire within his heart. “Until we meet again, Akita. Until then.”

Author’s Note: Please review or give me input somehow.... you know the drill. Thanks for reading and I hope you enjoyed it.




Converting /tmp/php5Us56Y to /dev/stdout