Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Lost and Found: Love ❯ Nariko and her Band of Thieves; Death Trap ( Chapter 14 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
A Past Love
Chapter 14: Nariko and Her Band of Thieves; Death Trap
by AngelK
Author's Note: This is my first Yu Yu Hakusho story I've written. I like comments and suggestions/criticism. But, if you don't like this story as you read it, it's kind of pointless just to tell me how much you hated it and how terrible I am. So, I want a reason for why you dislike it so much if you do. If you see a problem with it, state it. Otherwise, enjoy yourself. If you wouldn’t mind, a review would be nice.
Disclaimer: This is a story based upon characters of Yu Yu Hakusho. It is for entertainment purposes only.


Akita blew a breath into the lock.
There was a hissing sound and then there was silence.
“You think these fools would learn how to lock their valuables in tighter. Especially when Akita, the legendary thief with a list of victims longer than any other apparition’s, is the Opener. You’re really amazing, you know.” A voice commented.
“You’re going to give me a big head, Kaori. I’m just your average Opener. There, the lock is completely useless. Tell Jin he’s on door duty. A little gust of his wind should blow that thing down no problem. Just remember to melt the hinges.” Akita stood up from her kneeling position and grinned. “Tell him to try and keep it down too. Removing a vault door is very loud business and I’d like to get an item without a big commotion. I’m really tired.” Akita then sat down and leaned against the wall that surrounded the vault.
Kaori placed her hand on the hinge of the vault. The hinge glowed red-hot and began to melt. “Jin, I’ve done my part.”
The red-haired former Shinobi grinned. “Time for some fun. Tornado Fist!”
The vault door was easily knocked through, hitting the wall opposite from where it had once rested.
Akita shot up out of her sound sleep. “Keep it down! Do you want to get caught?” The tired Koorime-kitsune dropped back against the wall, asleep once more.
“She’s a weird one, that one is. Just like her half-brother in more ways than by blood. She makes my ears go nearly as pointy as Yusuke did.” Jin commented.
Kaori had retrieved the nearly transparent gem with a hint of silver color. “Yusuke, the Spirit Detective? You actually fought with him?”
“I fought against him in the Dark Tournament before you were born. C’mon, wake Akita up. We need to get this back before we get caught.” Jin said.
“I was waiting for you two to be ready to go. Tell all your life story after we get back.” Akita smirked as she left, followed by Jin and Kaori.
***
“Well done. Jin, Akita, may I speak with you in private? Kaori, please give that gem to Magasui. He’ll tell you where to place it.” Nariko smiled pleasantly at the young fire demon.
“Yes, Mistress Nariko.” With a polite bow, Kaori quickly departed.
“I think it is necessary that we let Kaori go on her own.” Nariko stated as soon as the child had left.
“What?!” Akita asked, in disbelief.
“Akita, she’s a phoenix demon for heaven’s sake. Do you know how much damage she can cause when she gets older?” Nariko demanded.
“She’s only five years old and she can control her power better than any demon I’ve known. You can’t be serious about having her leave.” Jin blurted.
Nariko stared at him sharply. “Exactly. Magasui suggested to me that she be let go.”
“I won’t let you!” Akita exclaimed. “I won’t allow you to put that child out into the world of cruel and heartless demons. At least not until she can defend herself properly!”
“Jin said she is strong for her age. I’m sure she can manage.” Nariko responded curtly.“You must have more compassion than that, Nariko. Putting a child out to only be eaten alive by demons? She’ll grow to be a fantastic fighter with the right training. You won’t need an Opener when she’s old enough to melt things without physical contact.” Akita pointed out.
“Are you that eager to leave me, Akita? Surely the ningens will survive fine without you. The human world hasn’t stopped for you before. Things will not change now.” Nariko snapped.
“I have other things that I value. Friendship...love... I can’t have that if I live my life as a thief, constantly on the run from rival bandits and victims of thievery. I have someone waiting for me. That’s why I was hesitant at first to come and work. He is what I value above all.” Akita exclaimed, emotion filling her voice.
“She is right about Kaori, Nariko. With proper training, she’d be nearly invincible. Anyway, you can at least let her stay until she can fend for herself. She is too young to be thrown out to the demons who’d certainly devour her.” Jin suggested.
Akita glared at the wind master and opened her mouth to comment in Kaori’s defense but pressure on her shoulder from Jin’s hand stopped her.
“Akita named the girl Kaori for a reason. I’m sure Akita will stick around long enough to see that our little phoenix gets the right amount of training.” Jin continued with a slight smile.
Nariko sighed, defeated. “If you’re both going to be so difficult about it and will agree to take full responsibility for Kaori, I can’t have any say in the matter. She is yours to keep and take care of.”
Akita and Jin smiled at one another and left Nariko’s presence. As they opened the door, they saw Kaori sitting on the floor. She appeared to be crying tears of flames rather than tears of water.
Akita took the young child in her arms and stroked her hair. “What’s the matter, my little phoenix?”
“Don’t cry, Kaori. Things are going to be alright.” Jin said reassuringly.
“I...I...”
“Deep breaths, Kaori. That’s a good girl.” Akita soothed.
“I’m so sorry!” The child exclaimed.
“Whatever for?” Jin asked.
“I’m sorry you two have to be responsible for me. I’m sorry I’m such a problem for Mistress Nariko.” Kaori said between sobs.
Akita cooled her hand and wiped the flames from the child’s cheeks and kissed her forehead. “As far as I’m concerned, you’re my little sister. I want to take care of you.”
“Same goes for me. I’m like your older brother and I’m supposed to watch out for you,” Jin declared.
***
“This mission will be dangerous but nevertheless, we need this item. Kaori, Jin, Akita, Kaida, Jiro, and Hoshi will be going on this particular raid. Everyone else will be on standby outside of the vicinity. Akita, you’ll be leading this mission. Kaida, Jin, and Jiro will be partnered. You’ll be making sure to keep the area clean of obstacles. Hoshi and Kaori, you two will be on the melting part. You’ll be accompanying Akita to get our treasure.” Nariko explained.
“What exactly is this treasure anyways?” Kaida asked, leaning back against the wall.
“It’s called the Flute of Purity.” A female’s voice commented.
Everyone gathered turned their attention to the speaker, the part computer-android, part wind demon named Akizoko.
“Of course you’d be the one to know about this. Tell us what’s so great about this item.” Kaida demanded.
“I know.” A shy voice piped up.
All eyes turned to look at Kaori.
“It opens to another dimension. But, it’s worthless unless you have the key to play it with. I just thought it had been destroyed.” Kaori explained.
“Well, we’ll have to look for that key after we get the item. Anyway, get to work. The raid will begin in five hours. I suggest you get into position.” Nariko advised.
The others agreed and departed from the briefing room.
***
“Tonight’s the first night you’ve gone on a raid since you’ve perfected some techniques. You’ll get a chance to prove yourself. Just don’t be nervous. Akita and I both believe in you, little one.” Jin patted Kaori on the head.
“I know. I’m still scared though. Is that okay?” The child asked innocently.
“’Course it is! We all have fears after all. It’s natural.” Jin grinned.
“Where’s Akita?” Kaori questioned.
“Eh, who knows? She said she had to run an errand. Think she went to see her brother.” Jin commented with his hands in his pants pockets.
“What’s her brother like? Did you ever meet him?” Kaori queried earnestly.
“His demon form is Youko Kurama.”
“I’ve heard about him. He’s that legendary thief, right? Wow, Akita sure knows a lot of interesting people. Tell me more about people she knows.” Kaori exclaimed as she trotted to keep up with Jin.
“Let’s see...there’s Hiei. He’s something, alright. I heard rumors that those two were in love.” Jin explained as they walked together.
“Hiei? Mukuro’s heir? Her loyal follower? The controller of the Dragon of the Darkness Flame technique and also holder of the Jagan?” Kaori asked, eyes wide with awe.
Jin sighed dramatically and rolled his eyes. “Oi, what did you do before this, Kaori? You know about almost every single demon I can think of! You knew all about me, Yusuke, Youko Kurama, Hiei...”
“I knew a lot about you from stories I’ve heard. I used to work as someone who carried out odd jobs. I heard stories of when you and Team Masho fought in the Dark Tournament. I heard all about Yusuke Urameshi, the Spirit Detective, and the two supposed demon traitors, Kurama and Hiei. Some ningen named Kazuma Kuwabara also worked with those three for Koenma.” Kaori paused and looked up at Jin who was staring down in amazement.
“You’re only a child. How could you possibly know that much?!” Jin exclaimed.
Kaori shrugged.
“Well, never mind that. Let’s work some more upon your hand-to-hand combat. You won’t get better without practice.” Jin walked outside with Kaori following faithfully after.***
“Good, you’re here.” A young man commented.
Akita smiled and took a seat across from her older brother. “I’m glad you could meet me here, Kurama.”
A waitress sauntered over and Akita shook her head when asked what she wanted.
“I see you aren’t eating either.” Kurama commented as he looked at her thoughtfully.
“You saw Hiei?” Akita asked anxiously with her eyes practically glowing.“Yes. Excuse me for saying so, but you both look terrible. He looks tired and appears haggard and almost gaunt looking. You look as if you haven’t slept in years. You apparently haven’t eaten in awhile either.” Kurama continued to watch her.
Akita propped her head up by resting her chin on her folded arms. “I haven’t eaten since I’ve seen him last.”
“Two weeks?!” Kurama asked, eyes wide.
Akita barely nodded and stared off into space. “I can’t go and see him tonight either. There’s a big raid. I wonder if I’ll ever see him again.”
“You’re going to have to. Otherwise...” Kurama trailed.
“Otherwise, I’ll die. At least I’d get to see him if I died...” Akita sighed.
“Come on. Let’s go for a walk. Are you up to it?” Kurama offered a hand to help Akita stand.
She gratefully accepted the extended hand and struggled to her feet.
Kurama easily pulled her up. “You’re so easy to lift. Almost like a flower petal upon the wind and just as fragile.”
“I’ll have to take a rain check on that walk offer. I have to get back. I’ll come and visit you one of the days you’re off of work.” Akita called as she left the cafe and began on her way back to Makai.
***
“Hey, Akita’s back!” Kaori exclaimed as she rushed to meet the half-Koorime.
Akita managed a tired smile at the excited youth. “Ready for our big raid?”
“Yup. I’ve been doing some last minute fighting with Jin. Jin! Let me show you how well I’ve been fighting, Akita.” Kaori looked up with pleading fire colored orbs.
“Of course, little dear. Just allow me some time to rest myself. I’ll watch gladly.” Akita requested.
“All ready, Kaori? Tornado Fist!” Jin attacked.
Kaori jumped high up, gracefully dodging.
Jin took to the air, circling his arms rapidly. “I won’t miss this time! Tornado Fists!” He shot down towards her.
Kaori’s flame colored eyes glowed like red-hot coals. Opening her mouth, she filled the air with a bird like screech. Bomb sized fireballs appeared in midair, shielding her from Jin’s attack. “Fists of Phoenix Flame!” Collecting the fireballs to form two massive ones in the palms of her hands, she hurled them at Jin.
Jin evaded them and looked over at Akita. “Will she do?”
Kaori turned to Akita anxiously.
Akita applauded with a large grin on her face. “Of course. I knew she would!”
***
“Big Fire Bomb!” Hoshi threw a flaming sphere of red spirit energy at a door. “This is too easy. Something isn’t right here.”
Akita looked around warily. Letting her eyes shift to wolf vision, she watched for signs of danger. A flash of vibrant color caught her eye for a second and she turned.
Instantly, a wall of vines came up through the floor and connected to the ceiling.
“Akita!” Kaori screamed, rushing up to the wall.
“Want us to burn through?” Hoshi asked, flames sparking at his fingertips.
“Go and find Jin, Kaida, and Jiro. Get out of here. I’ll get that flute for you, Kaori. Please take care of Kaori, Hoshi, and, Kaori, tell Jin to watch over you.” Akita ordered.
Kaori knelt before the vines, peering at Akita through the holes. “Akita...I love you, big sister. We’ll come back for you. Jin loves you too. So, don’t worry.” She coughed, fighting tears.
Akita placed her hand on the wall and gripped Kaori’s fingers. “Take care, little phoenix. Hoshi, good luck.”
Hoshi nodded and took Kaori with him.
“Alright, whoever you are, show yourself.” Akita demanded. She jumped, somersaulted, and landed a few feet away. Returning her gaze back to where she had just previously been standing, she saw a large slash in the ground. “Swift... well, let’s play some tag. You can be IT!” Akita then shot off, sensing for the flute’s magical aura.
A crash resounded throughout the halls.
Akita ducked, dodging falling ceiling debris. “Gee, someone’s a tad bit pissed off...”
A line of earth shaped spikes with deadly points shot out of the floor.
Black wings spread and Akita was airborne. “I guess if I don’t want to be impaled or crushed, I’d best use dodging tactics.”
At the end of the hall, vines were beginning to grow to block the doorway.
Akita strained, shooting as fast as she could toward the door. She squeezed through just as the vines sealed the entrance. Landing, she heard silence all around her. “Guess my dear adversary wants me to come and meet face to face. I’m overjoyed to oblige. Come out, come out, wherever you are...” Akita called.
Suddenly, something shot out of the wall, pinning Akita against the wall.
“I’m sorry, have we met? Well, pardon my rudeness!” Akita grunted as she sliced through the thick vine like structure that had nearly impaled her. She dropped down to the ground.
Applause echoed throughout the room.
Akita’s head snapped in the direction of the sound.
“Bravo... bravo, my dear little thief. You’ve faired much better than anyone else who has ever pursued the flute.” A female’s voice commented in a mocking tone of voice.
Akita gritted her teeth. “Who do I have the pleasure of having the chance to massacre?”
“On our first meeting? Dear, dear Akita, I hoped you had more class than that. Someone so beautiful. It’s a pity I must kill you.” The female demon approached, a silver flute dangling in her grip.
“Aw, does it really have to end that way? Now that we’ve met, couldn’t we just be friends?” Akita asked, grinning maliciously.
Laughter filled the air.
Akita shuddered. No matter how sweet that laugh was supposed to sound, it sent chills throughout her body. This was going to be difficult.
“Please, call me Sada. Shall we begin then?” Sada asked, swinging the flute back and forth in her grip.
“Of course. I’ll go first!” Akita sprinted forward, drawing her sword in one fluent motion.
Sada easily dodged.
Akita swung at Sada rapidly. Stopping to catch her breath, she fell to one knee.
“Tired, are you? I haven’t even broken a sweat. My claws are craving to have some of your blood though.” Sada tossed her periwinkle colored locks with one hand, her claws glittering in the light.
Akita gritted her teeth and got back to her feet. She returned her sword to its sheath.
“Giving up so soon?” Sada asked, now examining her fingernails.
Akita let her sword fall to the ground. “Never. This is just slowing me down. Shall we go again?”
“My move.” Sada rushed forward, something resembling Kurama’s Rose Whip in her hand. “Vine Whip!”
Akita dodged the whip but something else hit her as it rose up from the ground. She saw it coming and tried to twist out of the way. Her reflexes weren’t fast enough.
Clay stakes shot out of the ground, puncturing Akita’s skin over her ribs.
Her screams filled the air as she crashed into the ground, cringing in pain.
***
Hiei gasped. It felt as if something had cracked his ribs. Akita must be in danger... I have to get to her... His Jagan glowed blue as he saw what had just occurred. He watched as Akita dodged a vine like whip but didn’t realize the wall of earth spikes that shot from the ground to meet her rib cage. With a considerable amount of force, she went flying in an almost slow motion before crashing to the ground.
“Master Hiei, Mukuro needs to speak with you. She said it is necessary that you come at once.” An imp messenger stood in the doorway of Hiei’s bedchamber.
Hiei turned instantly, fixing his glare upon the intruder. “Get out of my sight. Tell Mukuro I have an urgent errand to run. I may not be back for a day or so.”
The imp obediently departed and Hiei raced from Mukuro’s palace, searching for Akita with his Jagan. Let her live. If anything happens to her....you should expect a last visit from me in your Reikai office, Koenma, Hiei thought darkly, hoping he wouldn’t have to carry out his hastily made threat as he raced towards Nariko’s hide-out.
***
“Are you done yet?” A smug voice asked.
Akita’s eyes flew open as she quickly she sat up. Instantly, she regretted the action. Her ribcage throbbed with pain. She placed a hand lightly on her side. She’d cracked at least two ribs when she’d crashed into the ground and those clay stakes had seriously bruised a couple others. As soon as she got out of this place, she’d go straight to Hiei and drag him to her home. Even if she had to take on every one of Mukuro’s guards. Loss of nutrition had slowed her down completely. Broken and battered ribs surely wouldn’t help her movement much either.
“Little kitsune, do you give up? If you’re tired already, I might as well kill you now. Weak creatures like you should not be permitted to live,” Sada said.
The half-Koorime growled. Unsheathing her sword, she stood, gripping it tightly in her shaky hands. Damn it all... Akita shot forward, her weapon’s sharp point intent to stab the taunting demoness who seemed to be enjoying herself.
***
“I hope she’s alright.” Kaori whispered. Since she and Hoshi had left Akita, the whole entire building had erupted with vines and other earth and plantlike growth shooting in all directions. They had barely escaped the labyrinth. The exit had nearly been sealed with thick vines before they had burned their way through.
Jin placed his hand upon her shoulder protectively. “Akita will pull through. She always has before.”
Kaori trembled as flames welled up in her eyes. “I really hope so. No treasure is worth her life...”
The team that had been sent to get the item watched silently. They could all see the large amounts of energy illuminating from the building. Jiro had rushed back to fetch Nariko.
***
Akita cried out as Sada landed another kick to her injured ribcage.
“You’re...just...so...weak!” Her next kick sent the tired girl into the wall.
Leaving a body imprint, Akita fell face forward onto the ground limply. She just didn’t have any strength. Her sword was useless, wrapped so thickly in vines from Sada’s last assault. The weak female just didn’t have anything left in her to even attempt to fight with.
Sada strode forward, lifting Akita up by the collar of her shirt. “I’ll end this quickly.” She pulled back her fist. Manipulating her energy, her arm transformed into something similar to the spikes that had bruised Akita earlier. “This is my Earth Sword. It’ll be the last thing you’ll ever see.”
Akita balled up her fist. She’d have to tap into life energy now. A small sphere of white light formed in her palm. With as much force as she could, she slammed her fist into Sada’s gut, releasing the energy into her skin.
The demoness stumbled back in pain, dropping Akita with a thud. “Damn you. Now, I’ll show no mercy. I just want to keep your head to remember you beauty always, my lovely.”
Akita desperately tried to formulate a plan. She couldn’t manipulate plants like her mother or brother could. She didn’t have the energy to speed away like Hiei. Damn, she didn’t even have enough energy to form...well, anything! This is it...I’ll accept it. Death had to catch up with me sometime...
Sada leapt forward, her arm aimed to pierce Akita’s chest.
Akita gritted her teeth. She wouldn’t go down without a fight. What had she been thinking just then?! Of a coward’s death, Her mind nagged. Gathering an explosive amount of energy into her open hands, she thrust her arms forward and hit the plant demoness square in the chest.
Sada tumbled back and hit the wall with a painful crash.
Akita, renewed with some unknown power, held up her glowing fist and aimed it at the fallen demon. A burst of energy shot for Sada, forcing her through the thick wall. Hopefully, this energy would keep her going for a bit longer.
***
Hiei closed his eyes and his Jagan returned to its normal color. He had channeled enough energy to Akita until he could get there.
Vines and large shards of earth littered the ground. This demon was apparently no match for his Sword of the Darkness Flame.
Hiei walked confidently down the hall. Thick vines that shot out of the walls were determined to strangle him and were burnt when they made contact with the Koorime’s fingers. “Akita, I’m coming.”
More plants and earthen spikes shot from the walls, floor, and ceiling. All were targeting the diminutive fire apparition.
Hiei held up his hand and everything was instantly incinerated.
***
Akita panted softly.
Sada remained motionless, buried under rubble.
“Did I actually...win?” Akita asked, staring down at the fallen demoness.
Sada’s lilac colored eyes shot open, flashing angrily. “Damn you, foolish little kitsune.” She gradually got back to her feet.
Vines shot from the ground, encircling Akita’s body, completely immobilizing her limbs.
“If I must die, then you shall go before me.” Sada stated, blood dripping down from the corner of her lips.
Thorns on the vines tore into Akita’s flesh. The Koorime-kitsune would not cry out. She would not give Sada the satisfaction of knowing she had caused her pain.
***
Hiei slashed through another plant-covered door with his Sword of the Darkness Flame. His Jagan glowed red. Akita was very close. Only a few rooms away.
Plants had stopped their assault and no more tried to attack. If any showed a hint of movement, they were reduced to ashes with a touch from Hiei.
Suddenly, a pain that went through his entire body nearly brought him to his knees. The Jagan showed him Akita’s current state.
Thick green vines circled around the small female’s body. Red blood gushed from the many puncture wounds made from the thorns of the plant.
A female watched with savage glee. “Suffer but don’t die, my darling. Feel indescribable pain but keep on living until every drop of your blood stains the space where I stand. Only then will I permit you the pleasure of death.”
Steam rose off Hiei. His blood boiled at the sight of his mate being taunted as she grew closer to death. This creature...she would pay. He would bleed her dry, watching her writhe in agony. She would pay dearly.

Author’s Note: Please review or give me input somehow.... you know the drill. Thanks for reading and I hope you enjoyed it.
Converting /tmp/phpEPq2Do to /dev/stdout