Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Lost and Found: Love ❯ Escape from the Plant Demoness; Shocking News ( Chapter 15 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
A Past Love
Chapter 15: Escape from the Plant Demoness; Shocking News
By AngelK
Author's Note: This is my first Yu Yu Hakusho story I've written. I like comments and suggestions/criticism. But, if you don't like this story as you read it, it's kind of pointless just to tell me how much you hated it and how terrible I am. So, I want a reason for why you dislike it so much if you do. If you see a problem with it, state it. Otherwise, enjoy yourself. If you wouldn’t mind, a review would be nice.
Disclaimer: This is a story based upon characters of Yu Yu Hakusho. It is for entertainment purposes only.


Akita floated in a haze of pain. She drifted between unconsciousness and the non-living. She was gripping to the thin thread that connected her to consciousness. The smell of her blood kept her alive. The vines were squeezing the air out of her lungs.
“It’ll all be over soon. We’ll join one another there.” Sada murmured happily.
The doors shattered into pieces.
Sada’s eyes shifted quickly to the door. A diminutive, black clad male stood in the doorway. An unnatural eye was wide open upon his forehead. It glowed red. His clothes were a bit worn and ripped from his encounter with her plants. Flames danced at his fingertips and he was glowering with rage.
“Are you the foolish creature who chose to attempt to murder my mate?” He growled, steam rising off his body.
“Ah, the fun is really beginning. So, Hiei, Mukuro’s lapdog, decides to show his face? And Akita is your mate no less. Tell me,” Sada swung and twirled the flute easily in her fingers, “How long do you think she will last? I’m estimating another ten minutes. But, you’re welcome to place your own bet, little jaganshi.”
Hiei snarled, rushing forward, re-drawing his katana. “I’ll kill you!”
Sada brought the flute up, blocking Hiei’s blade. “So angry. Tell me, how clear is your mind that you’ll be able to-”
“Shut your mouth!” Hiei took his fist and punched Sada squarely in the face.
The female was knocked back several feet from the force of Hiei’s blow and, when she stood, blood and burns covered her face. “You’ll pay for that.” Instead of going at Hiei, she opened her hand and blue energy surrounded it. She fired the blast at the knot of thick vines that were in the process of literally squeezing the life out of Akita.
The vines absorbed the energy like water and instantly grew even larger. The thorns turned to thick red spikes that drove deeper into Akita.
“Watch your beloved suffer for your own foolishness.” Sada smirked.
“So, you play at weaknesses, do you? She is not my weakness. She is my strength. Until you die, I won’t be satisfied.” Hiei growled through gritted teeth. Akita’s pain was hitting him hard. He needed to destroy that plant or else...
Akita’s spirit energy was draining, as was her life energy.
Hiei raced toward the plant. “Double Fists of the Mortal Flame!” He pummeled the outer part of the plant, his knuckles bleeding in the process. “Sword of the Darkness Flame!” He sliced through the vines and the plant pieces flew everywhere. His eyes widened in horror when he saw Akita’s bleeding body.
“Did I mention the thorns would discharge from the plant itself? It’s still going to bleed her dry.” Sada said smugly.
“We’ll see about that. I’m sure everything will wither and die once you are dead. So, I will speed up the process.” Hiei prepared another attack with his Sword of the Darkness Flame.
“Just one moment.”
Hiei stopped in mid-attack.
Sada remained in a stunned silence.
Akita was sitting up. The spikes were still lodged deep into her skin.
“How...how can you still move?!” Sada exclaimed, outraged.
“Easy.” Akita’s eyes glowed and the spikes removed themselves from her flesh and shot straight at the plant demoness. “You just missed all the vital points.”
Sada growled, dodging Hiei and the oncoming plant spikes while lunging for Akita, claws extended.
Akita met the female with her own claws. Snarling, she landed a kick to Sada’s ribcage, knocking her breath away.
Sada fell to the ground.
“Now, it’s time to kill you.” Akita raised her arms skyward. Grant me strength... With her body glowing from spirit power, she trembled under the immense energy. Two tears slid from behind her closed eyes. “Abandoned Dragons!”
Hiei watched in awe. This was indeed a beautiful sight to behold.
Two dragons, a color that was a mix of fire and ice, shot at their target, blue energy orbs forming in their mouths. Firing them at the exact same time, they hit their target.
Sada was instantly destroyed.
Akita crumpled to the floor, faintly glowing.
Hiei surveyed the damage of the room. It was pretty bad. He scowled. How did Akita manage to cause such large messes? The jaganshi shook his head. A bit of movement caught his Jagan’s attention. Akita was getting up.
The Koorime-kitsune got to her feet. Blood was still coming from her many wounds. “Thank goodness.”
“For?” Hiei asked, walking to his mate’s side.
“The children’s spirit energy is alright.” Akita placed a hand to her lower abdomen with a satisfied smile. She sighed in relief.
Hiei’s eyes were wide. “What?”
Akita only smiled tiredly and shook her head. “Can we go some place quiet? Preferably near a healer... I don’t think I’m going to stay standing much longer.” Her knees gave way when the words were out of her mouth and Hiei lunged to catch her.
“I’ll take you to a healer.” The Koorime turned to leave the room.
“Flute... is it...?” Akita looked up at him through half-closed eyes.
Hiei raised an eyebrow but shrugged.
“Set me down. I need my sword and the flute.” Akita murmured.
Hiei did as the female requested and collected both items. “You know, I can’t carry you and these items....”
“Kurama is on his way I believe. I called him...yes, he’s coming. Go outside and wait for him.” Akita closed her eyes and went to sleep.
***
Akita’s eyes fluttered open. Her body was resting upon a white cot and the room was lit dimly.
“Finally awake, eh?” Nariko sat at her bedside.
Akita nodded feebly. “How am I doing? Are my-”
The door opened and Kurama, Hiei, Jin, and Kaori entered.
“Good to see you awake, Akita.” Kurama smiled warmly at his sister.
“Hn,” was Hiei’s only comment.
Jin grinned. “You gave us quite a scare, ya devil.”
Kaori had her fingers tightly gripping a silver flute. “Thank you, Aki.”
Akita only smiled.
“Well, Akita is recovering nicely. I think it would be best if she continued to recuperate.” Nariko stood and motioned to the others.
Kaori, Jin, and Kurama left the room and Nariko followed, shutting the door.
Hiei strode to Akita’s bedside. Lifting her slim hand off the bed, he raised it to his lips and kissed it. “Are you really alright?”
“No. But, I will be. I was so worried. I’m pregnant, Hiei. Twins.” Akita smiled peacefully.
“For how long?” Hiei asked.
“Um...about five weeks. I believe I’ll carry as long as my mother did. Or maybe a bit longer. Or shorter. I really am not sure. Being a half-breed. I will have to ask Yukina how long Koorimes carry. My mother was pregnant for twenty-eight weeks.” Akita closed her eyes.
Hiei’s Jagan glowed blue briefly. “They’re developing just fine. I suppose we’ll have to discuss things with Yukina. I’m sure she was taught much about...well...” Hiei trailed off.
“Yes, I’m sure. I’d like to leave for Genkai’s tomorrow. Or as soon as you’ll allow me to travel. I’d like to see everyone. To tell them and visit. I haven’t seen them in a long time.” Akita’s eyes were pleading.
Hiei let go of Akita’s fingers and walked to the door. “I’ll bring back some food. You should at least have something in you before we leave.” He then walked out, closing the door quietly. Once outside and out of Akita’s hearing range, he sighed. “Why children?”
***
Later, after Akita had eaten and she and Hiei were preparing to leave, Kaori had knocked timidly at the door. “Master Hiei, may I speak with Akita?”
Hiei looked at Akita who nodded. “Go right ahead. We’ll be leaving soon, Akita. I’ll go and tell Nariko.” The black clad demon left the room once more.
Kaori walked to Akita’s bedside and climbed up, resting at Akita’s feet. “So, will you be back?”
“Of course. It might be awhile. But, when I’m well, I’ll be back. I’ll teach you how to channel energy into the flute so you can play.” Akita explained.
“Um....I already know how. I might go to the Realm. That’s where my parents are. I’d like to meet them. And see what world I belong in.” Kaori frowned.
“Good for you. I’ll bring young ones the next time I see you.” Akita’s smile was filled with pride.
“Kids? You’re gonna have kids? Well, they’ll be as beautiful and as handsome as you and Hiei are. They couldn’t be anything else. They’ll be strong and... amazing.” Kaori said with a smile.
“They will be. Kaori...before I leave, I have a question. What are your feelings for Jin?” Akita asked thoughtfully.
Kaori blushed pink. She was approaching thirteen years. She would soon be considered an adult in a little more than two years. “I don’t know really. I.... really care for him.”
“Will you take him with you to the Realm? I’d like to know that you’ll have someone to accompany you into this unknown place.” Akita murmured, as she sat up in bed, propped against plump pillows.
“I will. Akita, why did you risk your life so I could have the flute?” Kaori asked curiously, standing near the door to call Hiei back in.
“Why wouldn’t I?” was all Akita replied.
Kaori knew she wouldn’t get anything out of her “sister” so she decided not to push the issue. Akita had her reasons obviously. Reasons that extended farther than concern for her own children. She shook her head. She doubted she’d never understand adults. Ever.
***
Kurama walked beside Hiei and Akita.
Akita was sound asleep, resting on Hiei’s back.
“Feel like running, Kurama? I won’t wait for you if you fall behind.” Hiei shot off, not waiting for the kitsune’s response.
Kurama sighed. It was just like the half-Koorime to get bored at their slow, meandering pace. He rushed after the black blur with his half-sister upon Hiei’s back.
***
“What a surprise! A lovely one at that. It’s so good to see you!” Yukina exclaimed, obviously delighted at the sight of the trio.
Kurama smiled.
Hiei nodded his acknowledgement. “Could you show me where I could place Akita until she wakes?”
“I’m awake now. Yukina, may Hiei and I speak to you privately? No offense, Kurama.” Akita turned her head slightly and smiled meagerly at her elder sibling.
“I’ll telephone Kuwabara. And I’ll go and speak with Genkai for a little bit.” Kurama said calmly, departing from the entry room.
“Now, what do you need to speak about?” Yukina asked.
“It’s about Akita. Um...well... Akita, maybe you should...?” Hiei hesitated.
“Yukina, how long is the average pregnancy of a Koorime? My mother, a kitsune, carried for twenty-eight weeks. I want to have some sort of an estimate as to when my children will come...” Akita smiled.
Realization dawned upon the female Koorime and her smile spread with joy. “That’s wonderful. On average, Koorimes carry children for about thirty weeks. You’ll probably carry in between there. So, I guess it would be best to be prepared from about twenty-five weeks on. How many are you expecting?” Yukina asked, smiling happily.
Akita’s own smile was bursting with pride. “The two of them are doing just fine. Hiei’s Jagan confirmed it.”
“Would you mind leaving us for a few minutes, Hiei? Akita and I have some things to discuss.” Yukina requested softly.
Hiei gave a curt nod of his head and left the room. The jaganshi wandered outside and stared skyward.
“Penny for your thoughts?” The redhead asked as he walked outdoors.
“This is all quite ridiculous. Children... I never asked for that. And, I know Akita wants me to tell Yukina that I’m her brother. She was telling me that she deserves to know that these children will be related to her.” Hiei rolled his eyes and continued to mutter under his breath.
“She is right, you know. Yukina is your sister. These children will be her-”
“Niece and nephew. They’re twins.” Hiei interrupted.
“If you hadn’t known Yukina was your sister and she was having children or doing something else important and she also knew you were her brother, do you think she’d tell you? Wouldn’t you want to know?” Kurama asked.
Hiei shrugged his shoulders with indifference. “Hn....I could care less.” He walked away slowly.
“Where are you going? Yusuke and-” Kurama was interrupted yet again.
“I’ll be back. I need some time to consider what’s happened and think it over. Tell the detective not to leave until I return.” Hiei held up a few fingers in farewell and walked towards the forest near Genkai’s temple.
Kurama shook his head and returned inside to speak with his sister and await the arrival of their friends.
***
Hiei sat comfortably upon a rock. He had set up a barrier around him to keep anyone or thing from disturbing him. Children... he should’ve known that would come eventually... but now? It was too much to think about. And yet another vulnerability. Until his children could fend for themselves or at least until Akita was strong enough to protect them again, he would be at a large disadvantage against anyone who would perhaps want revenge or hold a grudge against himself or Mukuro.
The wind blew gently, creating a breeze that ruffled his hair.
Then again, imagine raising the two to be as strong if not stronger than their parents. It would be a challenge for Hiei and his mate that they would surely take up with pleasure.
Footsteps upon grass caught his attention. His head whipped in that direction, a deep scowl on his features.
If you hold that look too much, your face will stay that way.
Hiei shrugged.
Do not make Akita sad. She has always wanted young of her own to look after. No matter how cold-hearted she appears, mothering has been a strong point. Probably because she only had her true mother for a small portion of her life. Her weak spot is for children, especially orphans. I should know after all.... out of anyone that she knows, I’ve been with her longest.
Hiei’s scowl deepened. He envied the wolf for the fact. He directed a statement towards the white creature. “I never wanted children. I’ve never asked for them!”
Do you think Akita asked for this? She’s wanted it but don’t think she wasn’t happy without it. Why do you think she hasn’t told you?
Hiei raised an eyebrow.
Fear. Deep in her heart, she fears you would leave her. She understands you better than you think. Comp trotted away from the rock and stared skyward. Young are important to my pack. If anything is to happen to you or Akita, we will care for your young as if they were our own.
The one side of Hiei’s mouth twitched upward. “Thanks.”
Comp turned and left the half-Koorime with silence.
***
Akita sat in darkness, excluding the single candle that burned faintly. She was partly meditating, partly contemplating. Perhaps she should never have told Hiei anything.
He’s thinking hard. How are you? A great wolf nudged Akita’s shoulder gently.
“Comp....I’m scared...” Akita trembled slightly with her arms gripping the wolf in a hug.
Of what?
“Everything! What if I’m a terrible mother?” Akita asked, half sobbing, half hysterical.
Why do you worry? You and the jaganshi will be fine parents. You have one another to aid in raising them. Comp settled his head gently upon his massive paws.
Akita gulped back a sob as Comp cleaned his paws. “You’re right. I know it. Is.... is Hiei angry with me?”
Never. Why do you ask such silly things? Have the humans corrupted you with worrying over such petty affairs? You’re a demon....heartless as can be. Get used to it. Comp stretched out for a nap.
Akita smiled weakly. “You’re right.”
Of course I am. The wolf closed his eyes after his terse reply and went to sleep.
***
Later that night, Hiei entered into his room that he was sharing with his mate. It was empty and eerily silent except for the ghostly breeze that whistled softly through the open window.
Yusuke, Keiko, and Kuwabara were sound asleep in the other rooms. He could sense them. Another aura mixed in with Yusuke’s caught his attention. He would investigate before looking for Akita.
Kurama’s missing as well... his mind noted.
“’Course he is. It’s just like the kitsune to kidnap my mate...” Hiei muttered darkly. Naturally, he meant nothing by the comment. But he was tired and wanted rest.
A low rumbling broke the silence.
Hiei’s eyes glared down at his stomach. Apparently, he would have to stop at the kitchen on his way.
A dark blur vanished from its current spot, reappearing near Yusuke’s and Keiko’s sleeping quarters.
Yusuke’s loud snores reassured the Koorime that the former Spirit Detective was sound asleep. He could only wonder how Keiko got a moment of rest with a noise like an earthquake rumbling beside her.
Hiei entered the room. His Jagan was open as he approached a small, topless carrier of some sort. He gazed down at the creature with all three of his eyes.
The child had a strange aura. Mixing of human and half-demon... There was some demon in this young boy though. He was already taking after his father in looks. Dark hair covered his head. I’ll just hope he isn’t as arrogant and as annoying as his father....
Hiei left Yusuke’s chambers and quickly made a stop in the kitchen. He opened the freezer, a burst of cold air hitting him. He snooped around until he found what he was interested in. Searching through drawers, he picked up a spoon and opened the lid off of the carton of frozen sweetness. Digging into the icy treat, he devoured spoonful after spoonful.
After he had polished off the entire carton of chocolate ice cream, he discarded the spoon and continued on his quest to find Akita.
Low voices in conversation reached his ears.
Hiei entered into the dining room. It was dimly lit and Kurama, Akita, and Genkai were present. Their conversation ceased.
“I thought I sensed you nearby.” Kurama said with a smile.
Hiei focused on Akita. Her eyes were slightly red. He strode to her seat and rested his hands firmly upon her shoulders. “Why have you been crying?”
Akita lowered her eyes and tried to release herself from Hiei’s grip. “I’m fine,” she replied flatly.
Hiei growled lowly. She was blocking him mentally as well. “What is the matter?” He looked to the wolf that lay at Akita’s feet for answers. The great creature did not reply.
“Good night, Akita, Hiei. I’ll see you tomorrow.” Genkai said, departing.
Kurama stood and smiled at Akita. “Good night to you both.” He nodded in turn to Hiei and left.
The silence was awkward and long as Hiei seated himself at the table.
Akita blindly poured him a cup of tea and took her seat again.
Hiei reached across the distance and grasped Akita’s hand firmly. “Tell me what is the matter.”
Akita’s dark eyes stared at Hiei full on.
The jaganshi could not tear his gaze away.
“Will you stand by me?” Akita asked. “Will you help raise these children? Will you put caring for them above any other duty?”
“Do you think I could abandon you?!” Hiei snapped.
“Quite easily. You always have Murkuro to return to.” Akita replied brusquely.
Hiei opened his mouth but immediately shut it again.
“I know I’m right.” Akita glared at Hiei.
Comp stood. I’ll leave you humans to your squabbling. He trotted from the table and vanished into the night to hunt.
Both of the demons glowered as the wolf departed. But the insult had stuck with them.
The room was silent once more as both sulked.
He’s right. We’re acting like human children.
Hiei calmed a bit. Akita was using telepathy. It meant she couldn’t trust her voice. She was too filled with emotion. We’ll do better if we go and sleep. He helped her stand and clear away the remnants of their late tea.
They returned to their room. After Akita had changed into a light-sleeping robe, she crawled into bed. Hiei immediately joined her.
“His name is Kazuo by the way.” Akita was asleep instantly before Hiei could reply.
The Koorime shook his head. He wrapped his arms snugly around his mate’s waist and was put to sleep by the sound of her steady, soft breathing.
***
Light woke Hiei. Along with the loud, incessant, and cheerful chirps coming in through the window. He sat up, lazily stretching. Rising, he shut the window quietly and pulled curtains over the window. The sun was just above the horizon in the distance. Hiei then turned back to the warm and inviting bed. He pulled back the covers, exposing Akita to the slightly cool air.
Akita shivered lightly in her sleep, not stirring.
Hiei went back into the bed, wrapping his arms tightly around Akita. He kissed her ear and the back of her neck. He soon fell asleep once more.

Author’s Note: Please review or give me input somehow.... you know the drill. Thanks for reading and I hope you enjoyed it.
Converting /tmp/phptMFpzy to /dev/stdout