Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Mage ❯ The Beginning ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A.N. This story will take me some time to finish. Why? Because I have so many things I want to happen but don't know how. My dad deleted it once already but I'll be working on this story harder than the other I have because this one goes kinda deep. Please don't forget to read my other stories if you have time. Read and Review.

Chapter 1- The Beginning

The air smelled of death. The color of red covered the ground and all the bodies on it. The grim silence was broken only by the sound of birds coming to feed on the rotting carcasses.

But by now she should have been used to this. This thing she called her life. Having been living in the middle of this for five years now. A gust of wind blew the dust at her feet. She let out a soft sigh as she began digging graves.

The moment you reached a battlefield you lost your identity. You became a mindless being bent only on the destruction of your enemy. Anything, which stood in your way, was no more. There was no right or wrong, good or evil. You just were.

She just hoped that all of this had not infected Kairyu. Tears welled up in her blue-green eyes but she held them back. She couldn't go back. Now less than ever.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~*~

"Explain to me why we're here again." Yusuke Urameshi asked. The Reiki Tantei had been ordered by Botan to meet at Genkai's temple. Now they all sat here waiting for an hour. Outside snow was slowly falling making the room uncomfortably cold. Each of them was now annoyed because of different reasons and Yusuke's `stupid' question was an unwelcome break in the silence.

Hiei sat on the windowsill as always. Mentally cursing himself for having come and wasted so much time waiting for that stupid ferry girl. His mind wandered off to the disturbing dream he had had.

A small girl with bright red hair and brilliant blue-green eyes ran through a dense forest. No moonlight escaped the thick canopy of the trees. She looked no older than eight yet she ran diligently ducking under low limbs, swerving past the thick oaks. She passed by one of the lower limbs. Blood slowly trickled down her left arm. Still she paid it no attention still running from her unseen predator.

She reached a clearing where the light of the full moon shone down. Her bones ached and she was weak from the events preceding her chase. Still she ran. Just as she reached the next group of trees she was cut off. She took a step backwards and turned around. Now in the moonlight they could be seen. Dozens of blue skinned demons. Each three times her size with menacing looks, hungry looks the kind a lion gets when he spots his prey for the first time. Still this girl was a survivor. She crossed her arms over her chest ready to defend herself. She couldn't die, not now.

Hiei snapped out of his daze when the person he had lost so much time because of entered the temple. Behind her the ruler of Reikai, Koenma.

Koenma came in his usual state, a toddler floating just slightly above the ground. Botan on the other hand was wearing a blue kimono instead of her pink one. Her blue hair was undone loosely falling around her waist. She looked tired and was out of breath she clutched her chest as she tried to breath.

"We have an issue." Koenma started "There is a problem in the Makai that needs to be dealt with now."

"Is that so? Then if it's so important why are you late?" Yusuke voiced what they all wondered. "And what is wrong with Botan?"

Botan looked up "Sorry. Don't worry about me. This is nothing compared to how the other pilots are. But that's beside the point. We need to talk."

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~*~

She walked on. Wondering when she'd be able to stop. Behind her mounds of earth lay lined up. Each with a small handmade cross, nothing but two sticks tied together. A last gift.

Her hair flew behind her. When would this end? Useless wars. Countless deaths. But this she supposed was demon nature. She wondered. Was it in her too?