Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Of Demons and Dragons ❯ Back in the Dragon Palace ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Finally, the seventh chapter has been written! OH this beast to so long to write it's not even funny. Plus with all the distractions my brain could come up with, I'm surprised it even got done! Oh well. Yoko bit my ear long enough to get me sat down and writing. Now I have another prolem. What should happen in the next chapter? Oh the humanity! I swear I had it ready in my mind, and then this stupid book project that really isn't turing out the way I want it to came along. Life sucks, pure and simple.
I don't own Yu Yu. Only my dragons. Thank you much and please review. It would be helpful especially if anyone has any helpful ideas.
 
-In Kenjinashan's bedroom-
 
Deep in the Dragon Palace, Kenji lay on his bed nursing new bruises on his arms, neck and face. He hadn't meant to loose his cool. He just wanted his friend back. The soft, warm embrace of his only friend, Syo. She cared for him no matter how different he was. She had helped him when his brothers had beat on him for being the runt of the clutch.
 
That was when he had truly lost it. When Syo had disappeared, he had been unable to control his mind. Almost four-hundred years later, he had killed one of his own brothers for teasing him.
 
All he wanted was for her to bring the calm back to his mind so he could rest in peace again. He hadn't slept well for one thousand years. Now he wanted the quiet dreams to come back.
 
He never wanted to be Dragon Ruler. He knew Ori was far more qualified than he was. But all his dreams were very slowly falling apart. Ori couldn't truly take control until Syo had hatched his draclet. Of course, it had been partially his fault that she had never laid any eggs during the time she was there. But he never told anyone about that. They didn't need to know.

Now, all he could do was lie there. She was never coming back. He just had to accept that and remain his childish self, tormenting prisoners and fighting with Ori.
 
He suddenly reared back, howling in anguish. Why did he have to accept it? Why couldn't she stay with him? Being selfish was okay for now. Tears were okay, too, as long as Ori didn't see. That was the last thing Kenji wanted.
 
After a small tantrum that destroyed half of the already burnt and broken furniture, the bitter dragon returned to his disheveled bed and threw himself face down to wallow in his emotional agony. He couldn't control it anymore. It had to come out. And once it was out, he wouldn't have to feel it anymore.
 
 
For hours he lay there in his torment, never once did the pain let up. Even when he thought it was over and the tears stopped, it only took one thought to bring them bubbling back to the surface. Finally, he was too exhausted to continue. Sleep took over and he was able to rest.
 
 
Not even an hour after Kenji had fallen asleep, there was a hurried pounding on his chamber door. He growled and rolled over, trying to ignore the annoying noise. But it persisted, followed by a loud shout from Ori.
 
“Get up Kenji! If you don't I'm going to come in there and make you!”
 
“Kenji does not want to get up!” the frustrated dragon shouted back.
 
This was answered with a very threatening growl.

“If you want to ever see Syolikalenshi again, you will get out of that room or so help me, I will lock you in there forever!”
 
The statement shocked Kenji for a minute. Then he went over to open his door and looked at his brother in surprise.

“What did you say?” He asked in a weak and hopeful voice.
 
“Syo has returned. She is back in her rightful place. Do you want to see her or not?”
 
Then something happened that Ori had not seen in almost one thousand years. Kenji smiled. And not in his usual way. No, this smile came straight from his heart. But his brother didn't see it for long. Not even two seconds after he smiled, Kenji took off running as fast as he could to the room that Syo had previously occupied.
 
At the door, he slid to a screeching halt and nervously put his hand on the doorknob. Was it really true? Or was this just another ploy to try and get rid of the runt of the clutch? Slowly, oh so slowly, he turned the knob. Then, like a scared child, opened the door just enough to peer into the room. And there, on the statue just like she always had been, was Syolikalenshi wrapped in a white sheet and looking absolutely perfect.
 
She looked around at the door as Kenji came rushing in and wrapped his arms around her neck. Her surprise faded as she realized who he was and her arms went around his shoulders in a comforting embrace. Then she felt the older dragon's tears.
 
“Oh Syo! Kenji missed you so much! You left and he had no one to talk to. His brothers beat on him and teased him so much. Kenji was so scared that you would never come back. Please say you will stay with Kenji forever and ever!”
 
As Kenji spoke, Syo's face fell from a gentle, mothering smile, to a look of worry and concern. This was not the dragon she had left behind in the palace one thousand years ago. Back then he had not acted quite so childish and defiantly did not refer to himself in third person. What had they done to him?
 
“It's all right, Kenji.” Syo said as she petted the dragon's soft green hair. “I'm not going anywhere for awhile. Why don't you tell me what happened? Where are the others? And what happened to you? You never used to speak like this.”
 
Kenji pulled away from her shoulder enough to look at her.
 
“Kenji is very sorry. After he killed one of his brothers, Kenji has not been the same. They teased him to much. They had to be punished.” A dark look of pure hatred filled Kenji's face as he said this.
 
Tears came to Syo's eyes as she pulled Kenji back into a hug.
 
“Oh, my poor Kenji. I'm so sorry for leaving you. I never meant to be so selfish. If I could have taken you with me this would never have happened.” Kenji had been her only light in this dark=k place. Now, because of her, he had lost so much of himself. But it wasn't enough to make her want to stay. She vowed that as soon as she was able to escape again, she would take Kenji with her so he wouldn't have to suffer in this hellofa place anymore.
 
For hours she sat with him, rocking him back and forth and humming little lullabies to quiet his tears. But she knew that soon Ori would return and it would be time to return to the past ways. And sure enough, the great dragon entered the room, his face a blank stare that could only mean that he was here to do something that he didn't like.
 
He strode over to the large claw on which Syo sat and wrenched Kenji away from her. When he began to protest, Ori simply glared down at him with a look that could melt a glacier.
 
“Get out, Kenji. I don't like having spectators when I'm trying to win my place as Dragon King.”
 
“But…Kenji is not—”
 
“OUT!” And with that, it was over. Kenji shot from the room in a panic, not wanting to be beaten again. Once the door was shut, Ori stalked back to his claim. Syo held the sheet up as long as she could while backing away as the chains would allow.
 
“Why must you be so cruel to him?”
 
Ori snorted.
 
“He doesn't deserve kindness. I know about his little plans and schemes. No matter how small that diseased brain can think, he is still a threat.”

Syo was horrified. Ori had never been this cold! So many things had changed. But then again, it was partially her fault. Leaving was the worst thing she could have done. But she had. And she didn't regret one moment of it.
 
“You always did have a soft spot for that little worm.” The green dragon said as he ripped the sheet out of her hands and watched in dark amusement as she tried to cover her naked body. “Why? He never did anything to earn it.”
 
“He was kind to me.” Syo answered, staring defiantly into Ori's eyes. “Out of six brothers, he was kind to me.”
 
Again, Ori snorted.

“Kindness is overrated.”

Syo tried to answer, but it was too late. He had one thing on his mind and it was not going to be deterred any longer. An egg had to be laid before Ori could truly take the throne. And he had waited long enough. Time was of the essence.