Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ People are Never Who They Appear to Be A Hanyou Story ❯ Toya's Illness ( Chapter 10 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

“Talking” `Thought”
Chapter 10
Toya's Illness
Toya sat in the corner of a bar of Demon World drinking. He was taking the last gulp of his drink when he suddenly started coughing and he quickly covered his mouth with his hand. He pulled his hand and saw blood covering it. He began to lick his hand as he got up to leave, leaving money on the table, and thought, `Damn! I need that hanyou to give me whatever it was that's supposed to cure me soon. I don't know long I'll last.'
  
Neko yawn as he sat with Yamakaza and Izu to eat lunch. Yamakaza looked at him concerned but he just waved his hand in dismissal. He didn't her that he was up late the night before because a youkai was attacking him on his way home from his martial arts club some people created so he could teach them what he knew. He didn't want to worry her with it, even though a couple tourists caught them on tape and it might show up on radio or the News on television. People probably wouldn't believe them anyways but he still didn't want Yamakaza finding out.
He took a bite of his bentoas he listened to Izu and Yamakaza chat away. He looked up in time as Opal and Shuichi come over. It seemed like time slowed as he turned back to Yamakaza but midway someone grabbed his throat and slammed him into a pillar across the quad. He tightly shut his eyes as he heard lots of people yelling and screaming as he tried to gasp for air and he grabbed the persons' arm, digging his claws into the flesh. Then he suddenly felt it, a pulse the matched his own heartbeat. He tried to reach for it with his free hand but it was too far away.
He heard Yamakaza yell out as she got closer but heard her slam against Izu making him grunt loudly as he came between her and one of the schools walls. Suddenly the man release his throat and grabbed his face as he heard Yamakaza and Izu start to get up.
“Neko-kun . . .” Yamakaza gasped in pain as she suddenly saw Shuichi sprinting towards Toya, “Shuichi-kun!”
“Rose Whip!” Shuichi yelled.
The man's hand was ripped away from his as the man's claws ripped his skin away from his cheeks. He stood there for a minute and then cried out in pain as he tried to grab his face with both hands. But when he grabbed his cheeks he screamed out louder and he had to pull them back. He looked at his hands and saw blood covered them as he felt blood run down his cheeks. He felt adrenaline start pumping through his veins and when he looked around he saw Opal and Yamakaza come towards him.
Neko summoned the Yang and yelled as he pulled it out, “Stay away from me!”
“Neko-kun,” Yamakaza said calmly as she put her arm in front of Opal to stop her, “its okay, just calm down.”
“What the hell is wrong with him?” Opal asked as Izu and Shuichi held off Toya.
“Adrenaline fear filled rush, I heard of this but I've never seen it,” she whispered to her then turned to Neko, “Neko-kun, its okay, just calm down. Opal-san, I can't believe I'm saying this but I need you to watch my back. My hands aren't fully healed yet.”
“Alright,” as she turned her back to face them as she pulled out her staff and kept an eye on Toya.
“Neko-kun please-”
“Look out!” Opal suddenly yelled.
“What?” as she turned to look and saw Toya coming down at her from above. She stood there in shock as he came closer and she placed her crossed arms in front of her face. She was suddenly pushed to the ground but not wounded.
“Damn katana . . .” they heard Toya, “it as youki but it won't kill a pathetic ningen.”
“Yamakaza-san,” she heard Shuichi yell, “Are you alright?”
“Yeah, I'll be fine,” but it was a lie, her wounds reopened and blood began to soak her bandages.
“Now for you,” as Toya turned to Neko.
Neko looked from Yamakaza, who now lay at his feet, to Toya as he slowly approached. Izu suddenly appeared in the air above him swinging his meteor hammeras Opal came at him from the ground ready to clubber him with her own weapon. They heard Shuichi yell a little too late, “No! He's going to-”
Toya was faster then them so he easily turned to them, held up his katana, and a cat/wolf creature came out of it at them. It hit them with such great force that when they hit the ground they made a crater in the ground. Yamakaza took this chance to grab Neko's arm and run as she pulled him away. She couldn't do much with her hands still wounded and it was painful grasping Neko's arm the way she was.
It appeared that Neko couldn't control his body at seeing the creature that came out of Toya's katana. She felt a rumble go through the earth towards them and suddenly she found that from her waist deep in cement ruble. She looked up and saw Neko just sitting on the ground too shocked to move. She heard a roar of a cat/wolf from behind her and heard Shuichi yell, “Neko-kun! Get her out of there!”
But Neko couldn't he was too stunned and then the creature was upon her as she began to try to twist herself free. She struggled to hold in her scream of pain and she held up her arms again as the creature swirled around her. Yamakaza felt something rub against her cheek and when she opened her eyes she saw dark blue youki swirling around her, making her tied up hair go up with the wind, but not hurting her. The youki felt so warm and comforting and for some reason she knew that it wouldn't hurt her. She suddenly she saw a wolf with long fang that looked like it got into a fight standing in front of her looking at her with kind and familiar eyes.
Everyone was amazed when Toya called back the creature and saw that Yamakaza now stood in a crater unhurt. She suddenly looked down at her hands and saw they stopped bleeding. She flexed them and found they didn't hurt anymore. She heard Toya say softly as he got closer to her, “Poison Claws!”
She struggled to get the bandages off her hands as she turned to face him and suddenly felt blood splatter all over her stomach and the ground. Without evening thinking she yelled, “Neko-kun you baka! You don't need to protect me!” and then regretted her words as she saw Toya's hand going through Neko's back.
Neko ignored Yamakaza's words as he stared ferociously at Toya and finally said through the blood that dripped from his mouth, “We meet again . . .”
“I see you finally got your courage back,” as he pulled his claws back.
“I never lost it; you just caught me by surprise . . . No one interferes!” he yelled as he saw Izu started to swing his meteor hammer. “This is my fight!”
Everyone looked at him stunned as blood started to pool around Neko's feet. Toya began to chuckle as he licked his fingers saying, “My poison is going to kill you faster if you chose to battle.”
“That won't be a problem,” and he began to make hand signs. `Nezumi O-hitsuji Hebi Saru.' Underneath his blood soaked hakama they heard the slight sound of sizzling as Neko winced slightly. He suddenly spat out a clot of blood before he wiped his mouth with his sleeve. “Now we can battle.”
“Still know some ninja skills, do ya?” Toya taunted.
“Yamakaza-san, get out of the way,” as he ignored him.
“But-” she started.
“Move!”
Instead of her moving herself Izu scooped her up, jumped away with her in his arms and landed near Opal and Shuichi. It was then he noticed a crowd start to form and pointed it out to Yamakaza with a slight turn of head as he set her down. As she began on take off her bandages the schools exits were blocked with plants. She looked around and saw Shuichi bent down on the ground as he started to take his hand away from the ground. It was obvious that he had the same idea as her but had a different way of going about it.
She suddenly whispered to Izu as she watched the fight start, “That creature . . . it protected me.”
“What?” he asked in an equally quiet voice as he looked at her startled.
“When it swirled around me it destroyed the cement and healed my hands,” as she held up her scar less hands. “It felt like . . . it knew me.”
“But how?”
“Neko-kun told me when I got my hands wounded that Toya-kun was the same man who stole his wakizashi. I'll have to research more about it.”
“You know,” Shuichi started surprising them, “when I met him in the past it seemed like he could never get angry.”
“Shuichi-kun . . . what do you mean in the past?”
“Well . . .”
“Wait . . . you must be the legendary Yoko Kurama . . .” suddenly realizing the strength within the plants and remembering the aura field she saw.
 
Neko and Toya were going at it but Toya's katana didn't seem to want to hurt Neko when he tried to strike flesh. Neko finally said, “Don't you get it! That wakizashi won't hurt its' original bearer!”
“You're right but that's why I got this!” Toya told him as he started pull out a Tsurugifrom behind his back.
 
Yamakaza mildly paid attention to Shuichi but paid more attention to the battle she saw Toya start to pull something out from behind his back. Without even realizing it she did a Mild Speed jutsuand ran in front of Tsurugi as Toya brought it at Neko's side. It cut deep into her stomach and she grunt as she felt searing pain go through her body. Her eyes widened as she leaned against Neko as Toya pulled his Tsurugi back. Neko grabbed her and jumped away as Toya swung at them both. He took her to the soccer field as the other followed.
“Yamakaza-san, what were you thinking?” he asked as everyone appeared beside them.
“To tell you the truth . . . I wasn't thinking . . . at all,” she told slowly him as she smiled at him. She violently started to cough and splattered her blood on his hakama.
“Izu-kun, do what you can to help her,” Neko told Izu as he put her into Izu arms.
“B-but I'm not good at that!” Izu cried but Neko had already left to battle Toya.
“Relax, Izu-kun,” Shuichi told him as he grew some plants, “I can take care of this. Opal-san, try getting that wakizashi away from Toya-kun but try not to interfere too much.”
“Alright . . .” Opal answered and suddenly realized what Shuichi had said, “Hey!”
“Opal-san!”
“Alright!” and she was gone.
“Shuichi-kun! I can't stop the bleeding!” Izu cried as he tried to put pressure on the wound desperately.
“Let me see,” as he looked at it, “Move your hand . . . it's pretty deep . . . What's that?”
A circle began glow to shine on Yamakaza's chest and they suddenly heard Yamakaza's voice spoke in a wiser attitude, still keeping her eyes close even as tears slid down her cheeks, “When they are brought back together . . . they shall become one. But the one who isn't whole . . . hn . . . must free the captured . . .”
“What?” Izu asked.
Suddenly the aura of the jewel on her chest surrounded her as it intensified around her wound and it began to slowly heal it. They heard her once again, “Neko-youkai-kun . . . forgive . . . me . . .”
 
Neko was doing really well until his cuts on his face began to burn and his sight began to fail. He took the defense position now that his eye sight began to blur and it was harder for him to block. `Wait! The cuts! He must've used his Poison Claws when he was ripped away from me.' “You damn bastard . . .”
“You healed your other wound but you didn't even think about healing your face wounds,” Toya said as he pushed his Tsurugi against Neko's katana. “Now where's the antidote?”
“What antidote?”
“Don't play dumb with me! The antidote that can cure me!”
“I don't know of any antidote!”
“You're pathetic lair!” Toya suddenly kicked him in the side sending him flying into the air and then crated into the ground.
Neko struggled to get up and suddenly he couldn't see, he blinked his eyes several times but it was the same. The poison had reached his eyes and he knew for some time he wouldn't be able to see or would never see. He stood up confidently and prepared to battle keeping his eyes closed, `I may not be able to see but I can use my feet and ears.'
Opal suddenly appeared beside him as far as his ears could tell him and heard her ask, “What are you doing?”
“What does it look like?”
“Open your eyes you baka!”
“That wouldn't make any difference. His poison has infected my eyes and I don't know how long I'll be blinded so I'll have to use my other senses . . .”
“What other senses?”
“Touch and hearing,” and suddenly he ran at Toya.
“Neko-kun!” he heard Opal yell in the distance.
Neko remember this was like the first time he battle Toya except he only had Chikako with him. Yamakaza had done just like what Chikako had done she got in the way of Toya's attack. Chikako almost died that day but someone or something came to their rescue and saved her life but he didn't know who because he was knocked out. This time was different though two Reikai Tanteisand Izu were here to help. Neko focused his senses on Toya and swung an over head swing at him. Toya moved but it was too late and the Yang hit his left eye right on his scar.
Neko opened his eyes as he felt them widen in surprise when he felt a small surge of his youki go through him into the Yang and into Toya's scar. Toya jumped back as his eye bled and it was most likely that he wouldn't be able to fight back by the way he was gasping.
Toya didn't dare to open his left eye when he pulled his hand away and saw it covered in blood. He looked at Neko as he thought, `He may not know how to use the Yang yet but the katana wants to vanquish me from this body. I can't allow that to happen.' “Neko-youkai-kun you may win this battle but there are more to come.” He summoned a portal and disappeared into it before they could stop him.
Opal tried to help Neko to the others but he refused to be helped and said it was a sign of weakness and he wouldn't allow it. When they got to everyone else Neko finally had to sit down for whatever the Yang did had exhausted him. He asked Shuichi, “How is she?”
“She's healed,” as he sounded somewhat stunned.
“That's good,” he already had a good idea of how she was healed but didn't tell them.
“What was glowing on her chest?”
Neko remained silent as he felt their eyes on him.
“You know don't you . . .”
Finally he sighed and said, “Three words: Moon Cat's Eye . . .”
“You mean-” Izu started stupidly.
“Yes, Izu-kun! That jewel! You're an bakasometimes.” Out of nowhere Yamakaza punched Neko across his wounded cheek and he cried out in pain. “What the hell was that for?”
“Huh? What?” Yamakaza sat up and looked around as everyone stared at her in disbelief. “What's wrong?”
“You punched me that's what's wrong!” Neko yelled at her as he held his cheek as it had begun to bleed again.
“Oops . . . I do that when I'm about to wake up, sorry.”
“Who the hell does that in their sleep?” he demanded.
“It's a habit I do it when there's a lot of people around me . . .” as she tried to smile it off as she noticed everyone looking at her and suddenly remembered her wound. She placed her hand on her stomach and was surprised to find it healed.
“So you're the bearer of the Moon Cat's Eye Jewel,” Shuichi kind of asked.
“Sorry Shuichi-kun, Opal-san I can't allow you two to know this,” as she quickly did the Memory Blocker hand signs and hit them both on the forehead at the same time. She sighed and said to Izu and Neko, “Let's get everyone else.”
“That would be a problem for Neko-kun,” Izu told her.
“Why?” as she looked at Neko.
“Toya's poison claws infected my eyes,” he opened his eyelids to show her, “I can't see.”
She gasped and said, “Your eyes are yellow we better call Scott-kun.”
“Yamakaza-san, can't you use the Jewel since it healed you?” Izu asked.
“I can try but it might be better if we took care of everyone else.”
“Don't worry,” they suddenly heard aunt Kudaku. “I already took care of them. I sensed the battle and know,” she looked at Neko with wide eyes in shock.
“That's good; now let's try to take care of your eyes and Izu-kun can you take care of aunt Kudaku.” She placed her hands over Neko's eyes and focused on putting her reiki into her hands as she tried to call on the Jewel's powers. Her hair began to float as her reiki surrounded her but since she was never good at healing Neko was instead blasted him back. He flipped over several times before landing face down on the ground.
“What . . . the . . . hell . . . was . . . that?” he demanded as he struggled to get up.
“Maybe I should've told you that fire isn't the healing element. That's why I was never good at healing only making healing potions.”
“Why didn't you mention that sooner?” as he looked up at her angrily and suddenly his eyes and expression changed, “My eyes . . . I can see.”
“That's an odd way of working healing,” said Izu.
The next day at school everyone believed that a small meteor hit the school and disintegrated as it hit the ground. The story didn't sound believable but the teens believed it as well as the teachers. But no one believed that Yamakaza's hands had healed so fast and she wasn't the only one who was having a hard time Neko was too. He told everyone that a stray dog attacked him and left its' teeth marks on his face. So now all the boys wanted to see the cuts underneath the bandages on his cheeks.
At lunch Yamakaza asked Izu, “Do you think I should've blocked Shuichi-kun's and Opal-san's memories?”
Izu thought for a moment and said, “I don't think you should've done it to Shuichi-kun but Opal-san I think so.”
“I thought so too. I'll talk to him today.”
 
Bento is a Japanese lunch box that may contain a variety of different foods.
In Japan they don't have cement quads it has more grass then American school quads and most of the time they eat lunch in their classrooms.
The meteor hammer, often referred to simply as 'meteor', is an ancient Chinese weapon, consisting at its most basic level of two weights connected by a rope or chain. The principle behind the meteor is simple. A long chain or cord (ranging from 1.5 to 5 meters in length) connects two weighted heads (made of anything from iron to monkey fist rope knots). The chain is then spun to generate much centripetal force, which keeps the two weights separate, allows the user to adjust grip and vary the speed of the individual weights, and direct the weapon as a whole. This enables the weapon to be manipulated with one hand, two hands, or even no hands at all - relying solely on the weapon's momentum in conjunction with the wielder's body movements. It is one of Chinese martial arts' most difficult-to-master weapons.
"Tsurugi" (剣) is any type of broadsword, or various Chinese heroes' weapons or Chinese swords (Jian). The word is used in the west to refer to a specific type of Japanese straight, double-edged sword no longer in common use. In this case Toya uses a Chinese sword.