Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ People are Never Who They Appear to Be A Hanyou Story ❯ Furusawa, Mareko And Her Fellow Lower Classmen’s Secret ( Chapter 13 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

“Talking” `Thought”
Chapter 13
Furusawa ­­­Mareko And Her Fellow Lower Classmen's Secret
Mareko sat in her place in the back of the class as she secretly watched as Neko helped one of the other students tune their lute. She smiled as he stood up and stretched, she had to say, like a cat. He sat back down at his lute and continued to practice. She looked down at her lute and thought, `I wonder where he got those cuts from. It's hard to see how deep they are with those bandages on his face.'
The school bell rang and she was alerted that lunch was beginning. She walked slowly out of the classroom towards her group of friends. She waved to them as they franticly waved to her. They sat in their usual spot in the quad and began to chat as they ate lunch. She finally said to her friend's, “The English teacher was bagging on me again.”
“Not again!” said Chikumawith her nose still in her book.
“He needs to learn to stay out of your style!” said Heikichi.
“I don't mean with his words . . .” she trailed off.
“You mean with your physic ability,” said Ichisake.
“Yeah,” she then mimicked what he thought, “He said, `Why does that girl still have her hair that color? I don't understand why the school allows her to keep her hair color that way. She's a great student but her hair shouldn't be that color'.”
They all laughed and Kameko asked, “Have you tried to talk to Neko-senpai yet?”
“. . . no,” she said quietly.
“But why? Neko-senpai is the sweetest guy in school next to Shuichi-senpai,” stated Chikuma as she took out small notebook. “According to my statistics Neko-senpai ranks number two in the top ten of the most popular in the school but Shuichi-senpai is still number one.”
“The only problem is . . . that I can't read his thoughts as well as Yamakaza-senpai and Shuichi-senpai. On occasion I read Shuichi-senpai's thoughts but I can never read Yamakaza-senpai or Neko-senpai.”
“Hey, Chikuma, what rank is Izu-senpai in?” asked Heikichi.
“Let me . . .” she flipped through the pages and said, “He's number one in the dork ranks. You must be really desperate to get a boyfriend to go after a straight guy like him.”
“What he's straight?” he cried as he lay down on the cement.
“So Mare-chan, are you going to talk to Neko-senpai or are we going to have to force you?” asked Kameko.
“What? No!” Mareko panicked.
“You hear that, Keko-san, that classmen wants to talk to Neko-kun,” said one of Keko's friends.
“Like Neko-kun will ever notice her,” said Keko.
“I'll show her,” mumbled Ichisake as he looked at a trash can. He concentrated on moving a trash can but none of them noticed Opal sense them. Everyone turned to look at Keko as she suddenly tripped over the trash as her tray of food fell on her. “Got her.”
After school they were walking to the park as they all laughed at Keko. “That was a good one, Ichisake-kun!” said Kameko as she smiled.
“Did you see the look on her face?” asked Heikichi.
“I must say that was priceless,” answered Chikuma.
All them stopped when they saw Opal standing at the park entrance gate. Heikichi mumbled low to them, “What is she doing here?”
“I-I don't know but lets go and do our homework,” Mareko told them as she hid behind Ichisake.
He placed a comforting arm around her and led the way to the park but as he passed by Opal he glared at her for a warning. They sat in their usual spot and began to do their homework when they suddenly heard Mareko say, “Opal-senpai is here.”
They all looked up as Opal walked over and sat next to Chikuma. Chikuma looked at her and said to Ichisake, “Her soul is like yours', Ichisake-kun.”
“Huh?” Opal asked.
“She means your soul looks like a youkai,” he told her as he picked up his books, “Come on guys.”
He stopped when his book bag began to fly in the air. He heard Mareko whisper, “She has telekinesis, too.”
“See I'm-” Opal started.
Ichisake interrupted her as he pulled his bag to him, “You're nothing like us! You may have telekinesis but you've never shared the same misery like us! You smell of hanyou which means you know how it feels to be an outcast but you'll never know the pain of being us! So why don't you just go? It'll save you some trouble,” as he looked away.
“You mean like being ridiculed for what you are,” Opal asked. “How you can see things that no one else can and know things that no one else know. You're wrong, I do.”
They all looked at her then back at Ichisake. He sighed and sat back down as he closed his eyes. “So what do you want?”
“How did you all learn about your powers?”
“I always knew about . . .” Mareko said as she slowly got quieter, “mine.”
“My eyes were like this when I was born,” said Chikuma as she read her book. “By the way I see people's inner self or souls and Mareko-san can read people's minds.”
“I was always being moved to foster home to foster home and I began wishing I had someone to play with. One day I wished and soon I was playing with my grandmother,” said Kameko.
“I discovered my ability when I was five while I was being beat up by the school bully,” said Heikichi, “made one of his friend's look like me.”
“My memories weren't erased when I was supposed to be taken to Reikai. A blue haired ferry girl was a bad driver and got me thrown off,” said Ichisake amused.
“Botan-san . . .” Opal mumbled before continuing, “So you all have physic powers?”
“Pretty much,” said Heikichi as he continued with his homework.
“How did you all meet?”
“That's where I draw the line!” Ichisake exclaimed.
“I ran away from the orphanage to Mareko-san's and have lived there ever since!” Kameko exclaimed happily.
“Kameko-san!”
“I contradicted too many teachers and had to move here,” answered Chikuma.
“Stop it!”
“I made too much trouble at my old school and so did Ichisake-kun,” Heikichi told her.
“Will you guys stop?”
“Then we all met each other in school,” said Kameko.
“Guys,honesty< i>, Ithink that she's our friend?” Ichisake asked.
“I heard from some of your classmates that you guys have a band,” Opal told them.
“Well . . . it's not really a band, Opal-senpai,” Mareko told her quietly.
“Don't call Opal-senpai, just Opal-kun.”
“Oh . . . okay, Opal-kun. It's not a band at all, it's our training. Ichisake is showing us how to strengthen our physic abilities. We're quite far along now that he's been showing us what we can do to strengthen our abilities . . .”
“What type of youkai are you, Ichisake-kun?”
He looked at her from the corner of his eye and said, “I'm from the most famous clan of physic youkais.”
“That's-”
“Unfortunately I was considered weak and was killed along with some of the other weaklings of my clan.”
“What?” as she looked at him wide eye.
“When I reached adulthood the clan decided that I and along with a few others were too weak to stay in the clan. We were sentenced to death.”
“How could your parents let that happen?”
“`The strong shall survive and expand the clan. The weak shall die'. Hee, that's the way of my clan and we accept it. We have no other choice and at least it's painless when we die.”
“And you accept this fate without resistances.”
“If we did resist then your minds would be painfully destroyed and it's not the prettiest of sights either. I chose the painless death with a needle in the arm as my parents said goodbye to me.”
“Please Opal-kun,” Mareko pleaded, “it may not be the best life but it's the way he was . . . raised . . .”
Opal looked like she was going to cry then suddenly her expression turned happy. She got up in Ichisake's face and said, “Teach me!”
“What?” as he leaned back slightly freaked out.
“If you're able to teach them then teach me! I noticed that when you moved the trash can you acted like you were doing nothing but looking at it which means you can move things without making any motion!”
“You're freaking me out. I'm going home, see ya at school,” as he left them.
“We should go too,” Kameko said to Mareko.
“Right, mother might get worried,” she answered.
“But-” Opal started.
“We'll see you in school, Opal-kun,” as she left the park.
The next day and it was once again lunch time and Mareko had forgotten her lunch. She looked at Kameko as she ate her lunch and sighed. Kameko looked at her, suddenly took her hand, and pulled her to the cafeteria. They stood in line and once she got Mareko lunch they headed back outside. All of a sudden she ran into someone making her drop her food onto the ground.
“I'm sorry,” they heard Neko.
Mareko looked up and Neko standing in front of her holding his own tray of food. He handed her his tray and started to pick up the mess. “Neko-senpai, I can get it,” Mareko told him.
He looked up at her as he smiled and said, “No, it was my fault, I wasn't paying attention. You can I have my tray, I really don't like the school's lunches.”
“I can't take!”
“Sure you can, I'll just take food from Izu-kun,” he smiled. “Go on, I'll take care of this.”
When she got to their spot she was wide-eyed and speechless. Kameko told them, “Neko-senpai gave her his lunch after he made her drop hers' and he gave her a sincere smile!”
Suddenly Mareko said, “He talked to me . . .” she looked over where Neko was sitting and saw him talking to Yamakaza. She sensed that he was greatly relaxed around her and she suddenly got an idea. `I know! I'll dress up like Yamakaza-senpai! I'll start acting like her! That'll get his attention!'
All of a sudden they all heard Neko scream and when they looked over they saw Opal had pulled off the tape on his face.
 
Lute is like a guitar but is usually held and is used by geishas.