Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Prophecy Breaker ❯ Chapter One ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Prophecy Breaker
calikocat
word count: 4070

A/N: I sincerely apologize for the delay. My computer crashed, and even though the hard drive and my files were okay, the drones at Computer's Plus didn't back them up when they rebooted my computer. So I lost everything. Luckily I still had some hand written notes for this fic. Let's hear it for spiral notebooks and marker boards full of gibberish only I can read!

Special Note to MediaMiner readers: I totally forgot I had an account here. ::is embarrassed::

XXX

Yusuke searched the darkening street for what felt like the hundredth time. All he could see was his own reflection growing more apparent in the glass of the shop window. He absently wiped the table he was supposed to be cleaning and frowned. Patience was not something he was known for.

“Staring at the window won't make them get here faster Yusuke.” Keiko called from behind the counter as she filled two plates with steaming food and set them aside to cool. “Come eat your dinner, our last customer is almost done, the tables can wait.”

Yusuke smiled and made his way back to the counter, briefly checking on their last customer. “Guy say's the food is good as always.”

Keiko nodded. “Of course.” She set a plate in front of him before sitting on his left and bringing her own plate within reach. “You've been anxious all day.”

“Yeah, sorry.”

“Don't apologize. I think it's cute.” She grinned at him when he snorted. “It's not often the great Yusuke is so nervous he can't sit still more than five minutes.” He gave her a sharp look before digging into his food. “Seriously Yusuke, what are you so worked up about?”

Yusuke swallowed and pushed his plate away. “I don't know. Just a feeling...Xander and I haven't talked much since I came back.”

“And?”

“Keiko...I can't help thinking I'm not cut out to be a big brother---OWW! What was that for?!” He glared at her as he checked the back of his head for serious injury.

She matched his glare with one of her own. “Don't worry, you're not bleeding. Now stop being such a baby and tell me what's really bothering you.”

“Crazy woman.”

“I'm waiting.”

“Fine, fine I'll tell you. Every time we talked, except when he asked to come early, I got the feeling that he was hiding something. The first time he called he was nervous and babbled about birthdays, clowns and nightmares. He didn't make a whole lot of sense.”

“Maybe he had a bad dream about clowns?”

“Come on Keiko, that's too logical. He lives on the mouth of hell, there's no way it would be that simple.”

“So find a way to bring it up. Ask him if he wants to go to a circus some time. Don't look at me like that, it's a known fact that older brothers take their younger brothers to the circus.”

Yusuke shook his head. “That wasn't the only time he was weird. The next time he called he asked if I knew of any demons that could turn invisible, said it was for some research project for Giles. That's a lie if I ever heard one. Then I called him a few days ago and there was this god-awful wailing in the background. Xander said it was the music of pain but wouldn't say anything else about it. He sounded upset, but kept evading my questions.”

“Boy's are good at keeping their emotions close. He probably got his heart broken by a girl.”

“What makes you think that?”

Keiko shrugged. “Music of Pain sounds like something you'd listen to if you're lovesick. Is that all that's bothering you?”

“No...I can't figure out what makes me think this, but it feels like he's keeping something big from me.”

“Maybe he is, but stressing over it right now won't help you any.” She prodded his shoulder. “Finish your food before it gets cold. I'll clean the last table.”

He glanced over his shoulder to see the last customer wave at them before walking out the door. Keiko started to get up. “You need to eat too.” She smiled at him and settled back on her stool and reached for her plate.

“Oh did the last one leave?”

They looked up as Keiko's father peeked into the shop. “Hey Dad. There's some braised meat and potatoes left if you're hungry.”

“Sounds good, but I ate earlier with your mother.” He walked to the table the last customer had vacated and picked up the dishes.

“One of us will take care of that.” Yusuke offered.

“No, no. You kids have been working hard all day, you just eat and take a break.”

Yusuke nodded. “Thanks Pops.”

Yukimura-san only smiled as he washed the last of the dishes and set them aside. “Are you two done with this?” He asked pointing to the food still in a pan.

“We were hoping Xander would be here soon.”

“Xander?”

Keiko rolled her eyes. “Remember Dad? Harris Xander-san? Yusuke's younger brother? Our friend Botan is bringing him over early so he can get to know everyone before the wedding.”

“Ah, I remember now. I'll just leave this here then.” He straightened a few more things before excusing himself for the night and heading back upstairs.

Keiko finished her food first and put her own plate in the sink to wash later before walking over to the door. “Almost forgot to lock up.” She flipped the sign to closed and locked the door, and turned away just as a blur of pink rushed through the window beside her.

Botan smiled and waved at her. “Ossu!”

A boy with brown hair and wide expressive brown eyes sat behind her. “That...was...Awesome! Can we do it again?”

Botan laughed and hopped off her oar and helped the boy do the same. “Later, we will. You know Xander, you're the only person I know who isn't afraid of my flying.”

The boy, obviously Xander, blinked at her in surprise. “It's no worse than a roller coaster.”

“That's what I keep telling everyone. No one else agrees with me.”

Yusuke had gotten up and had walked to them by this point and poked Botan's arm. “Not everyone is okay with dieing more than once.” She gave him an innocent smile before moving to stand beside Keiko.

“Hey Yusuke.”

Yusuke pulled him into a hug before turning to introduce him to Keiko. “Xander, this is Yukimura Keiko. My fiancee. Keiko, this is Xander.”

Keiko stared, her eyes going back and forth between them. “Wow.”

“The resemblance is uncanny isn't it?” Botan asked. “It's impossible to deny they're brothers.”

Keiko nodded and smiled. “I thought I was ready for this. Sorry for spacing out.” She bowed slightly before taking the hand he had offered her. It's nice to meet you Xander.” She surprised him them by pulling him into a hug.

“Likewise Keiko.” Xander smiled when she pulled away.

She smiled back and slipped into hostess mode. “Welcome to the Yukimura shop. Can I get you anything?” She didn't even wait for an answer before dragging him to the nearest booth. “Sit, I'll get you something to eat.”

Xander started to protest, when Yusuke sat beside him. “Don't fight it, just let her fix you a plate, it's safer that way.” He mock whispered.

“I heard that!” Keiko called from the counter.

Botan slid into the seat across from them. “Nothing for me Keiko, I wont' be staying long.”

Keiko nodded and set a plate in front of Xander and handed him a fork. He gave her a surprised look as she sat beside Botan. She shrugged. “A lot of American tourists come in here looking for authentic Japanese cuisine. Not all of them are good with chopsticks.”

“Thanks.” He took a bite and chewed, eyes widening. “This is way better than instant noodles. What is it?”

“Braised Meat and Potatoes. We used beef today. What do you think? Is Yusuke a good cook?”

Xander nearly choked on his next bite and Yusuke slapped his back. Once he could talk again he gaped at Yusuke. “You cook?”

“Yeah.”

“Teach me?”

Yusuke smiled. “Sure thing Xan.” His smile turned a little sad, thinking Xander probably hadn't had a true home cooked meal since that night at Joyce's.

“Great!” Xander all but inhaled the rest, leaving Botan and Keiko staring in shock.

“It's like watching a vacuum cleaner.” Botan murmured.

Keiko nodded in agreement. “Yusuke does that sometimes.”

Yusuke smirked and nudged Xander to get his attention. “Mom and I aired out the spare room and bedding today. We never use it so it's practically brand new.”

Xander nodded and put his fork down before yawning. “Cool.”

“Tired?” Keiko asked. “I thought portal travel with Botan was fairly quick.”

“It is.” Yusuke nodded.

“Yeah but it's like after three in the morning back home and I never actually went to bed.” Xander grinned. “Too excited.”

They kept the conversation light and smiled at one another as Xander's answers became fewer and farther in between. It wasn't long until his head was on the table and he was fast asleep. Keiko put his plate in the sink and Botan excused herself before producing Xander's things from a subspace pocket.

“I'll see you two later.” She whispered before hopping on her oar.

“Thanks for bringing him Botan.”

“You're welcome.” She waved before whisking herself through the front window and into the night.

“It's amazing how that doesn't surprise me anymore.” Keiko smiled and wrapped an arm around Yusuke. “Let's get him to your Mom's.”

“How heavy are his bags?”

Keiko lifted the backpack, tested it's weight and shrugged. “Not too heavy.” She slipped it on and reached for the duffel. “And he only brought two.”

“I can carry one.” He started to take the duffel but she gently smacked his hand away.

“I'll get it. You need to carry Xander.”

“You sure?”

Keiko gave him a look and he held his hands up in defeat, but smiled. “I get it, Super Keiko can handle herself.”

“I'll show you Super Keiko.”

He winked and leered at her. “Save it for the honey moon.” He snickered and barely dodged the duffel as she swung it at his head.

“Pervert. Get moving.” There was a light blush on her cheeks, but she leered back at him. “I have high expectations for that trip.”

“Right, no pressure.” They continued their whispered banter as Yusuke situated Xander on his back and they left for Atsuko's.

xxx

Keiko used her key to let them in the apartment. “Doesn't look like she's home.”

“You expected her to be?”

“Well...she did help you air out the guest room. Oh look, she left a note. Yusuke, went to a friend's. See you in the morning. Don't burn the building down. Love Mom.”

Yusuke snorted and shook his head. “Crazy woman. I'm not the one who leaves lit cigarettes laying around.”

Keiko put the note down and walked down the hallway to the guest room. She flipped the light on and put down the bags she'd carried and turned down the covers on the western style bed. “You need any help?”

“Yeah, gimme a second.” He backed up to the bed and set Xander down on it. “I think he could sleep through anything. Here hold him up while I get his shoes.”

Keiko sat beside the still sleeping Xander and put an arm around his shoulders so she could use one hand to support his head. He shifted as Yusuke pulled his shoes off.

“Where?” Xander's eyes fluttered open briefly but he was asleep again before Keiko could respond.

She smiled and ruffled his hair before standing and helping Yusuke get him under the blanket. “You've done this before?”

“Yeah. After the throw-down with the old man. Xander was a mess, cried himself to sleep in my arms.” He patted the sleeping teen's cheek. “Night Xan.”

Keiko grasped his hand and led him out of the room, gently closing the door behind them.

“I don't know what you've been so worried about. You handled that well.”

“I guess I did.” He walked her to the entry way. “You want me to walk you back?” Keiko smirked and kissed him goodnight. He blinked and raised an eyebrow at her. “Well?

“You worry too much. Who in this town would be stupid enough to attack Urameshi's girl?” She patted his cheek, the way he had Xander's only moments before. “I'll see you tomorrow. Bring Xander over for breakfast.” She waved and slipped out the door with a wink.

Yusuke shook his head before locking the door and heading to his own room. He had just reached for the doorknob when he heard a familiar whimper that chilled him to the core. He was in Xander's room in seconds.

Xander was twitching in his sleep, already impossibly tangled in the blankets. He let out a low whimper and Yusuke watched a tear slide down to soak into the pillow beneath his little brother's head. His heart broke.

“It's okay Xander. I've got you.” Yusuke didn't even have to think about it, it was instinctual as he lay beside his brother and held him once again. “I've got you kid. Big brother's here to keep the monster's away.” He smiled sadly and held Xander till he stopped twitching and slipped into a calmer state. “I'll stay for as long as you need me Xan.” He placed a kiss in the dark hair that matched his own and hoped to god no one ever saw him like this. His reputation wouldn't survive.

xxx

It was warm, almost toasty, and something smelled like chocolate. He twitched a bit and a feminine chuckled drifted towards him. Yusuke cracked open one eye and a sleeping Xander filled his vision. He smiled and ruffled the teen's hair, Xander didn't move, just continued sleeping. Another chuckle pulled his gaze away to center on Atsuko who was sitting on the floor.

“He looks just like you, except cuter.”

Yusuke rolled his eyes and started to slowly climb over Xander and out of bed. “Good morning to you too Mom.” He stood and glanced back at the bed. “I'll only be a minute, try not to traumatize him.” He started to walk past her when she touched his hand.

“What's he like?” There was an edge of something in her voice that he couldn't identify.

“He's a good kid...nothing like Tony.” He squeezed her hand for moment before letting go and heading to the bathroom.

He had barely been gone five minutes, enough time to empty his bladder and throw on some clean clothes when he heard a thump and Atsuko's laugh coming from Xander's room. He shook his head and went back in. “Mom, I told you not to traumatize him.”

She ignored him and continued to squish Xander's cheeks. “And remember, you need to always call me Suko-chan. It's got a nice sound doesn't it? It makes me feel so young.” She finally looked at Yusuke and sighed. “He really is adorable.”

Yusuke looked at Xander's dazed expression and glassy eyes. “Are you actually awake?” Xander nodded and his stomached growled...it made his eyes a little more alert.

Atsuko giggled and finally let go of Xander, she walked past Yusuke and gently cuffed him. “Take him to Keiko's and feed the poor boy.” She yawned. “I'm going to bed.”

Yusuke shook his head and turned to look at Xander. “Get dressed and we'll go eat at the shop.” He started to leave when Xander cleared his throat.

“Thanks.”

“For what?”

Xander blushed a bit. “For last night.”

Yusuke smirked. “Nightmares get to the best of us. Now move kid.”

He shut the door behind him as Xander grumbled. “Not a kid.”

xxx

They had just entered the shop and Yusuke was a little worried, he waved at Keiko, but kept glancing at his brother. Xander still had a dazed look that practically broadcasted that he wasn't awake and at his best. The entire walk the kid had remained quiet and dazed. It was weird and he only hoped it was the time difference messing with him, and not something more serious. He glanced at his brother again, who had stopped after entering the shop.

Xander's eyes blinked a few times, clearing as his stomach growled loudly. He looked around suddenly wide awake and finally met Yusuke's eyes. “Food?” The tone was hopeful and Yusuke snorted.

“And I thought I should be worried about your zombie routine.” He lightly smacked the back of Xander's head. “It's about time you woke up. Go, sit. Keiko's probably almost done with your breakfast. I've got to get ready for customers, but you've got a while before we actually open, so eat.”

“Yes Big Brother.” Xander's grin was cheeky but Yusuke was glad with the change and let it go.

Xander sat down at a table and watched Yusuke grab an apron before heading for the pantry.

Keiko came around the counter and headed towards Xander's table, tray in hand. She smiled as she set it down in front of him. “We have some leftovers from last night, as well as some rice porridge and grilled fish. Is there anything else you might want? I bought some cereal the other day.”

Xander looked at his plate, his eyes widened and he smiled at her. “This is great, just need something to drink. Maybe a glass of milk? Or water....or coffee. Coffee is good too.”

She nodded and brought another tray sporting a cup of coffee, a glass of milk and some packets of sugar. She set them down, and nearly dropped the tray when she saw the state of his food. “Xander! You don't have to eat so fast!” His breakfast was already half gone.

He smiled and blushed. “I'll eat slower now, promise.”

“Good. When you're done wash your dishes and then just take it easy for a while until we open.”

“Yes ma'am.” He saluted her as she walked away.

Keiko returned to the kitchen area where Yusuke was preparing ingredients and setting up his work space for the day. “I'll do this, you go and get the rest of the tables ready.”

“Sure.” Yusuke nodded and started removing the chairs from the table tops. He was just putting the last table to rights when a tapping at the door caught his attention. Yusuke looked up and waved at Kurama, motioning him to come in. Keiko saw him and brought a cup of steaming tea around the counter, setting it at a seat across from a young man Kurama had never seen before.

“Good morning Kurama.”

Kurama absently nodded at her, but his eyes were fixed on the youth eating at the table. The shop wasn't officially open, which meant the young man could only be...He looked so much like Yusuke in profile. Dark wavy hair was loose, free from the gel Yusuke always used, his skin lightly tanned...beautiful.

Yusuke was standing beside him suddenly, his elbow finding his ribs. “Not on your life fox. He's just a kid.”

Kurama gaped at his friend. “Yusuke I would never---”

“I know, but your eyes are glowing.”

Kurama closed his eyes in an attempt to calm down. “Sorry.”

There was a clatter and they looked to Xander who had dropped his fork. He stared at them, at Kurama, and growled. His eyes flashed an eerie green before he shook his head, they were brown again when he opened them. “Not human.” Xander's whisper reached their sensitive ears. He frowned. “Stupid hyena.”

“Xander?” Keiko rested a hand on his shoulder.

He shot a smile at her and Kurama gasped. “Sorry Sis. It's nothing.” He glanced at Yusuke and looked sheepish. “Sometimes I can still channel the primal that possessed me.” He shrugged. “I wasn't expecting another animal to walk in.”

Kurama bowed. “I apologize Xander-san.”

Xander shook his head and waved at him. “It's okay.”

Yusuke looked from one to the other. “Xander this is Kurama, he's a friend of mine.”

Xander gave him another wave. “Sorry for freaking out on you.”

Kurama smiled. “It's forgotten.” He sat across from the boy and nodded to Keiko as he took a sip of the less than steaming tea. Xander continued to stare at him.

“So...what are you?”

Kurama nearly choked on his tea, and his ears burned at Yusuke's laughter.

xxx

By the time the breakfast crowd had teetered out Xander was doing the dishes and was learning the art of pleasing customers. When someone entered he called out a warm welcome, smiling cheerfully, but not to cheerful. Keiko had warned him that too warm a welcome could scare the customers. When the customers left he gave them a patented happy Xander smile and a cheerful 'come again'. Keiko's dad insisted he was a natural. It left him with warm fuzzies.

He had just finished a load of dishes when his compact beeped at him. Yusuke gave him a look and Xander shrugged. “Probably Giles.”

“Take a break, business won't pick up again till half an hour before noon. I'll get started on our lunch.”

“Sounds good.” Xander grinned and slipped into the pantry before opening the compact.

Giles appeared on the small screen. “Finally. What kept you?”

“Dishes.”

Giles gave him a look, Xander just smiled. “So what's up? Miss me already?”

“Indeed. I just wanted to see how you fared traveling the Botan Expressway.”

“Flying is awesome.”

“Only you would say that.” Giles smiled. “You're having a good time then?”

“You worried Giles?”

“This is your first time out of the country.”

“Yeah, but Botan gave me this little gadget that translates everything I say and hear. Boom, instant translator.”

“You're enjoying yourself then.”

“You bet, Keiko, Yusuke's fiancee is awesome, she's got this whole big sis vibe going. And her parents are awesome too. Everyone's been cool...even Kurama after the whole weird episode we had.”

“Kurama?”

“Yeah, Youko Kurama. You heard of him.” Xander's eyes narrowed when he saw the little image of Giles take off his glasses. “Giles?”

“Yes I've heard of him. He's a very powerful demon...what sort of weird episode did you have with him?” Giles asked, his eyes cautious.

“A shadow of the hyena noticed he wasn't human and I'm pretty sure my eyes got all glowy.”

“Shadow? Good God Xander! Why didn't you tell me?”

He gave a half-shrug. “The real thing is gone, what's left just comes and goes. But this thing with Kurama...I reacted to him and not Yusuke. When I first met Yusuke, I was all 'caution, stranger in the kitchen, alert, alert, but no hyena thing.”

“Ah yes. Botan mentioned before that you should be able to sense blood kin and anything else from the Makai. I'm going to assume you recognized his demon status, but did not acknowledge him as kin.”

“Hmm. Okay, so that means what's left of the hyena sees Yusuke as pack, but not Kurama.”

“That makes more sense than any other explanation I can come up with.” Giles slipped his glasses back on. “How exactly did you run into such an infamous fox?”

“He's kinda friends with Yusuke.”

“Lovely.”

“Yeah, makes me wonder about his other friends.” Xander laughed. “Hey Giles, thanks for checking up on me, but I gotta get back to work. Yusuke's fixing lunch before the next crowd comes in.”

“What?”

“I'm helping out in the diner that Keiko's parents own.”

Giles smiled at him and it was full of pride. “Good on you Xander.”

Xander blushed. “Thanks. I'll talk to you later.”

“Right. Keep me updated on any changes with Kurama.”

“Sure. Later Watcher Man.”

XXX