Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Prophecy Breaker ❯ Chapter Two ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Prophecy Breaker
calikocat
word count: 3173

A/N: So I actually have the bare bones of this fic planned out. Just gotta flesh out the chaps, and then write them all. Yay!

XXX

“Tell me again why we couldn't have caught a ride with Botan to this soiree of yours?”

Yusuke rolled his eyes. “Botan won't be there, and a little walk won't kill you.”

Xander pouted. “You do realize there are almost no hills in Sunny Dale, and this is practically a mountain.” He frowned at Yusuke's snort. “What?”

“I've trained on a mountain, with a ball and chain attached, this is just a nice walk. Trust me.”

“Your life is very strange.”

“No kidding.”

“But seriously, this is creepy. It's not even dark yet and I'm havin' a wiggins.”

Yusuke shook his head at Xander's strange Californian babble. “See those slips of paper?” He pointed to the spells lining the steps, Xander nodded. “Genkai has the stairs, and grounds warded. Only an idiot would stray from the path.”

“Warded from what? And what's a ward?”

“A ward is kind of like an invisible barrier to keep demons and evil spirits out, or contained.” He caught Xander's puzzled gaze. “She's made a few exceptions. The wards are really to protect any humans who visit the temple, there's all kinds of rumors about the forest being haunted. Only an idiot would stray from the path.”

Xander smirked. “So I should keep an eye on you? Make sure you don't get lost?”

“Brat.” He made a halfhearted swipe at the kid. “I was gonna say the same about you.” They grinned at each other, but Yusuke could tell that something still had Xander on edge. “What's really bothering you?”

“Well the forest really is giving me the wiggins.”

“I think we already had this conversation. The forest is full of demons.”

“So...the ward thingies aren't just for show.”

“Exactly.”

“See it all makes sense now. Demons are close by, within chomping distance, ergo wiggins.”

“But?”

Xander was quiet for a minute, his eyes trained on the top of the stairs. “Will there be any more surprises?”

Yusuke stopped and watched Xander do the same. “Meaning?” Xander fidgeted so he tried a different tactic. “Did it bother you that Kurama is a demon?”

Xander finally met his eyes. “Not really. Mostly cause he's your friend ya know. I just wasn't ready for what's left of my beast to react like that.”

Yusuke nodded, they had all been taken by surprise when Xander's eyes had flashed that eerie green. “Why didn't you react to me like that?”

“Probably because we've got that whole kin thing going on, at least that what Giles and Botan think. It's like you're pack, so no freak out. And since Kurama is your friend, that kinda makes him pack too. So I probably won't do the growly thing around him anymore.”

“Alright. So what are you worried about now?”

Xander shrugged. “Kurama was cool about it...but I don't want to accidentally growl at the wrong person...err demon.”

“Do you normally growl at demons in Sunny Dale? You didn't when we patrolled.”

“I can kinda sense vamps, but not very well. It's like I'm more hyper aware of stuff from that Maka place.”

“Makai.”

“Whatever. Anyway, Botan and Giles talked about stuff like that, and I'm more with sensing that kind of demon, instead of hellmouthy demons.”

“I get it. So you don't wanna offend anyone?” Yusuke grinned.

“Hey, it's not funny! I'm going against some very basic instincts here. Back home it's see a demon, look up the demon, kill the demon if it tries to kill us. Or in the case of vampires, stake through the heart, next please. But I'm thinking all your friends could kill me with one finger. Fighting them would be instant suicide.”

This time when Yusuke smiled it was a gentler expression, with less humor at his brother's expense. “Okay, here's the lay down. Kuwabara is human, he's a psychic, and stronger than most of the demon's you've ever seen. Especially now that he's bound to Hiei.”

“Hiei?”

Yusuke nodded. “He's a demon and while I was away training in Makai for three years he and Hiei tied the knot. For a long time no one even knew they were into each other.”

Xander tilted his head, confusion marring his face. “So they're together? Like till death do us part together? Why would a human...” He frowned. “Guess I shouldn't ask, I mean your a demon and I've got demon genes.”

Yusuke put his hand on Xander's shoulder. “It's okay. I was freaked by the whole Hiei/Kuwabara relationship thing when I came back. But Kuwabara is my best friend and if Hiei makes him happy I'm okay with them being together. I still don't get it, but it's their thing.”

“Hey, happiness is cool. I'm big with people...and demons not trying to eat me being with the happy.” Xander started walking again and Yusuke followed. “Anyone else?”

“Genkai was my mentor. She a pretty famous martial artist. Watch yourself around her, she's still strong for her age.”

“Break me in half strong?”

“Yep.”

“Cool, I'm used to that.”

Yusuke chuckled. “Yukina lives with Genkai. She's a demon, but she wouldn't hurt you. The only time she's ever attacked anyone was when she was defending herself. Shizuru, Kuwabara's older sister will probably be there. She's a psychic too, not as powerful as Kuwabara, but she knows things. It gets weird sometimes. Oh, and Kurama said he'd be there too.”

Xander nodded. “Cool.”

xxx

Shizuru leaned back against the western style sofa as Yukina began to set plates in front of them. She glanced at the others sitting around the low table that was the center piece of what served as Genkai's living room. She smiled to herself, which earned her several curious looks.

“What's up sis?”

“The guest of honor is here.”

“I only felt Urameshi.”

Kurama coughed lightly. “Xander-san is still human. Next to Yusuke, he is rather hard to pick up on.” He smiled at Genkai's glance.

“Something catch your interest Kurama?”

“You could say that.”

Before Kuwabara could ask what the hell he meant by that, Hiei shifted to sit in his lap, putting a finger to his lips in the process. Kuwabara glared at Hiei but wrapped an arm around the smaller male's waist.

Yusuke and a teen that could have been his doppelganger chose that moment to slide the door open. “I was beginning to wonder if anyone was here, it was too quiet.” He nodded at Genkai. “Hey Grandma.”

“Brat.” It was said with a half smile.

Yusuke motioned for the boy to follow him further into the room, sliding the door closed behind them. “This is Xander. Xander, that's Genkai, Kuwabara, Hiei, Shizuru, Yukina, and you've already met Kurama.”

Xander nodded at each name and gave them all a shy smile. “Nice to meet all of you.”

Kuwabara stared. “He looks like you...but the attitude is way off.”

Hiei nodded, and hmmed in agreement.

Shizuru reached over and flicked her brother's ear. “Behave.” When Hiei started to smile she included him. “Both of you.”

Both human and demon sent annoyed glances her way.

Kurama smiled behind his hand before giving the newcomers his attention. “Is Keiko not coming?”

Yusuke shook his head. “Nah. She's getting her kimono altered. The tailor messed up so she's getting fitted again.”

“Oh, that's too bad.” Yukina murmured as she set the last plate in front of Hiei and Kuwabara. She straitened and waved her hand towards an open doorway. “Dinner should be done in a moment, please have a seat.” She smiled and headed towards the doorway, which Xander assumed led to the kitchen.

He watched her leave and understood what Yusuke had meant. Yukina wasn't even a blip on on his radar, the way Kurama was...Hiei too. She just had a sense of otherness. His gaze moved to Kurama who smiled at him. He returned the smile, the shadow within him didn't even twitch. This was his brother's family, pack. He was safe here.

Genkai caught his eyes. “You heard the girl. Sit down boy.”

“Um...okay. But--” Before he could finish, Shizuru smirked and stood up.

“Don't worry kid. I'll give Yukina a hand.” And she walked through the doorway.

Xander blinked. “That was creepy.”

“Yeah, she does that a lot. You get used to it.” Kuwabara shrugged.

Hiei leaned back against his chest. “Her gift is useful.”

Xander blinked again, smiled and moved to sit beside Kurama, which put him right across from the couple.

Yusuke rolled his eyes when Kuwabara snickered. “Can you guys try to be normal for a while?”

“Not a chance Urameshi.”

“The boy seems unfazed.” Hiei smirked at Xander.

Xander returned the smirk much to everyone's surprise. “On a scale of one to ten, you two don't even register.”

Hiei gave him a disbelieving look. “Really.”

Xander nodded and watched Yusuke sit beside Genkai with a grin. “Oh yeah. Back home we've got vampires, possessions, witches, talking puppets, nightmares coming to life, all kinds of exciting stuff. Oh, and this one girl turned invisible.”

Yusuke gave him a look. “Nightmares? That have something to do with the clown you babbled about?”

He nodded. “This kid was beaten up really bad and was in a coma. And since we're on a hellmouth his spirit or astral body or whatever, wandered around Sunny Dale. And he brought the nightmare world with him. Giles couldn't read, Willow had to sing in front of people, I got chased by a clown with a butcher knife, and Buffy ended up as a vampire.”

“What!” Yusuke glared.

“It's all good. Vamp Buffy beat up the Nightmare following the kid and the kid woke up. Everything went back to normal. Turns out the kid's coach was the one who beat him, he blamed Billy, that's the boy, for losing a baseball game.”

Yukina and Shizuru returned then, each carrying trays of food. Yukina's eyes were wide in horror. “That's awful.”

“Yeah, but Billy is okay now, and the coach is behind bars.”

Hiei looked shocked. “All that's happened since the Slayer arrived on the Hellmouth?”

Xander rolled his eyes. “Her name is Buffy, and yeah. But the number of dead and missing kids has gone down since she moved to Sunny Dale.”

“Geez. I didn't realized things were that messed up Xander.” Yusuke gave his brother a worried look.

Xander shrugged as the food was passed around. “Most of that happened before we met, there's nothing you could have done.” He glanced at the the food in front of him. “Uh...Yukina-san?”

“Yes?”

“I'm not familiar with the food.'

“Oh. I'm sorry. We fixed simmered pork, Harusame salad, and hiyayakko. Is they're anything you don't like?”

Hiei gave Xander a warning glare, Xander gulped but kept on. “No...not really. I just have a little trouble with pork.” He winced as Hiei's glare intensified.

Kuwabara poked his lover's side. “Quit it.”

“Hmph.” Was Hiei's response, but his glare did lessen.

“Xander-san?” Yukina asked, worried.

“Xander?” Yusuke was all but twitching at the kid's expression, Xander had glossed over the details before, and in all the excitement with Tony he'd all but forgotten this story.

“Ah...it's just that some other kids and I ate our school mascot when we were possessed by primal hyenas.”

“Oh my.” Yukina gasped.

“Yeah...he was cute little pig. Principle Flutey had gotten him a razorback costume and everything.” He sighed. “I was actually lucky.”

“How is that lucky?” Kuwabara asked.

“Well...Buffy knocked me out with a desk, and she and Willow locked me in the rare book cage. So I was unconscious when the other possessed kids ate Principle Flutey.”

Silence and horrified stares filled the room.

“Damn.” Yusuke grimaced. “She hit you with a desk? You didn't tell me that part.”

Xander shrugged. “It had already happened. I was too busy going all 'hey a brother' to be thinking about it too much.”

“How did you undo the possession?” Genkai asked.

“We chased Buffy back to the Zoo. The Zookeeper had Willow at knife point when we got there. He said some weird Incantation and suddenly we were us again and I was rushing at him to get him away from Willow. Then he and Buffy scuffled, and he fell into the pen and the real hyena's ate him.”

Kurama spoke up then. “But a shadow of your hyena remains?”

“Yeah. Probably because I was alpha. Head of the pack.”

“As interesting as all this is. Can we change the subject?” Shizuru asked. “Yukina is looking a little green.”

Xander blushed. “Sorry.”

Yukina shook her head, her smile a little shakier than it had been. “It's alright. You don't have to eat the pork.”

Xander beamed at her. “Thanks.”

xxx

Dinner had turned into a relaxed affair and soon had them all feeling comfortable with Xander. He was easy to get along with, and smiles flowed easily in his presence. Somehow the subject of video games came up and Kuwabara asked if Xander played much. Xander had given him a confused look and Kuwabara nearly cried. He began ranting about deprived child hoods and while Yukina, Shizuru and Xander, who had volunteered, were cleaning up Kuwabara was setting up Genkai's play station.

“Really Kuwabara, it's okay--” Xander started.

“Nope, I'm gonna show you how to play. Every kid should experience a video game at least once.”

Xander glanced at Hiei, who shrugged. “Let him do as he wants.”

“We can handle the rest Xander-san. Please have fun with Kazuma-kun.”

“Okay...”

“Come on kid, sit down and we'll get started.”

Xander sat beside Kuwabara while he explained the game. “Each of us will choose a character to play, and our characters will duke it out on the screen. Two outta three wins the match.”

Xander nodded. “Sounds easy enough.”

“Okay, here we go.” Kuwabara was in full teacher mode as he walked Xander through choosing his character, he even went so far as to let Xander win the first round. “You think you got the hang of it now?”

Xander nodded at him. “Think so.”

“Good. Now let's have a real match.” Kuwabara grinned as the next round started and he easily beat Xander. He paused the game again. “Well?”

Xander blinked at him. “Wow. You're good.”

Kuwabara was smug. “It takes practice. Ready for the third round?”

Xander nodded at him, but grinned at Yusuke as soon as Kuwabara's eyes were off of him. “Ready when you are Kuwabara.”

Their thumbs began moving, their characters zipping back and forth on the screen. Xander's character kept up easily with Kuwabara's and suddenly Xander used a combo and the match was over. Kuwabara stared at the KO in surprise.

“What the?”

Yusuke laughed. “I think you got played.”

Kuwabara turned to look at Xander. “I thought you hadn't played before?”

Xander grinned. “Not in Japanese.”

Hiei choked on his after dinner tea. When he could talk again he laughed at his lover. “It seems you've met your match Kazuma.”

Kuwabara smirked. “Maybe.” He looked at Xander. “Again?”

Xander nodded. “It's your funeral.”

Yusuke sat back on the sofa and watched them play, Kurama sat beside him, seemingly captivated, and Shizuru stood behind them, leaning on the sofa. They watched the game progress, snickering when Genkai critiqued their styles and choice of characters.

Shizuru grinned as her brother lost again before gently cuffing Yusuke's shoulder. “You need to introduce him to Koenma. That kid is special.”

“Yeah he is.” Her words registered and Yusuke glared at her, Kurama looked at her curiously. “What?”

“Special how?” Kurama murmured.

Shizuru only smiled and walked away towards the kitchen.

“Damn psychics and their visions.” Yusuke muttered.

xxx

When they entered the apartment they found another note from Atsuko, this time she'd left them some Chinese take out in the fridge. Yusuke shook his head.

So...your friends are great.” Xander paused. “And I'm sorry about the weirdness. I almost couldn't stop my rambling.”

“I was actually more worried about them scaring you for life. But you seemed okay.”

“Yeah, your friends are cool.” Xander collapsed on the couch. “Have Hiei and Kuwabara always been like that?”

“Like what?”

“That...complete. I can't explain it. They fit...the same way you and Keiko do.” Xander snickered at Yusuke's raised brow. “I mean it. You do. It's cool. Gives me hope that I'll find someone who fits.”

Yusuke sat beside him. “Buffy?”

“I wish, but to fit with someone like that...” He shrugged. “Buffy and I don't fit. Guess I'll just have to keep looking.”

Yusuke smiled at him. “Kuwabara and Hiei didn't always fit, as you put it.”

“Really?”

“Yeah, but like I said before, no one knows when they got together exactly. People change, demons too.” Yusuke echoed Xander's shrug. “You never know what will happen. It keeps life interesting.” He grinned at Xander who snorted.

“Pffft. Who needs that when you live on a Hellmouth?”

“Brat.”

xxx

Botan shuffled sleepily into Koenma's office closing the door behind her, she yawned and leaned against it. Blearily she peered at her boss who sat at his desk going over paper work and all but tearing his hair out.

“What did you need me for?” Botan asked bluntly.

Koenma glanced up from the papers he was reading, his expression was not a good one. “We need to get Yusuke and Xander in here soon.”

Botan's fatigue all but vanished as she approached the desk. “What's wrong?”

Koenma shoved a report into her hands. “How did we miss this?”

She frowned at him before reading the report. As she read her eyes grew wide, her mouth open in shock. “Oh...wow...that is a doozy.”

“Doozy she calls it.” Koenma let his head hit his desk. “Go tell George to get a spirit egg ready.”

“Is that really necessary?”

“Just do it Botan. Please?”

Botan gave him a worried look. “I will.”

“Thanks, and don't tell anyone about this. Not until we have them here.”

She nodded, though he wasn't looking at her. “Of course.”

Koenma grumbled. “Stupid Powers.”

XXX