Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Retribution ❯ Enter Into Hell ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer- YuYu Hakusho does NOT belong to me. The only characters I own in this story are Meleena and Kamirue, and whomever else my twisted little mind can come up with!

-

Retribution

Chapter 3

Enter into Hell

-

The walk towards the encampment around the city was relatively quick after they had crossed the bridge that went over the river of dead corpses. It was quickly decided that the six of them would split up into two separate groups, and enter at two different areas of the camp. Yusuke, Kuwabara, and Touya made up one team. While Hiei, Kurama, and Jin made up the other. They would then meet up where Botan had dropped them off after the sun went down, and compare notes with each other to see where they were standing. It was decided that they would use Koenma's excuse to enter into the camp. Telling anyone who questioned them that they had rebelled against Enma and his toddler son, and were now on the run from the Spirit World officials. So, when they got over the bridge, the two groups split up, with Yusuke's group heading straight for the camp, and Kurama's group skirting along the edge of the forest before entering in at a position more east of Yusuke and the others.

The encampment that had sprung up around the remains of Maze Castle and the City of Ghosts and Apparitions consisted mainly of crude tents and a few poorly constructed huts. The tents were hardly more than thin scraps of material held up by the gnarled branches from the surrounding forest. Right in the center of the camp was what looked like a group of four larger tents, each one of them about ten feet tall, and about hundred or so feet long.

"What is that place" Yusuke asked, looking at the four tents carefully.

"That, detective" Touya said simply. "is the auctioning tent for the slaves. That is where the buyers bid on the slaves they want to purchase. The auctions usually begin right before sun down, and last for a few hours, or until all the slaves are sold off."

"Sounds nice." Yusuke said sarcastically. "Where should we start looking? You seem to know your way around here quite well."

"Considering that the brat said the girl had been found out, but was not killed" Touya said, his eyes watching the lower level demons around him” I would say she is probably being held by the head seller."

"And where exactly will we find him" Kuwabara asked. "This place is huge."

"The more important sellers are usually clustered around the center of the encampment, close to the auctioning tent." Touya said. "We should start looking there. I know a few of the more popular sellers personally, and should be able to get us into the more secured areas."

"You're the expert." Yusuke said. "You heard the man, Kuwabara. Let's go."

-Meanwhile, with Kurama's group….-

Kurama, Hiei, and Jin entered into the encampment without any questions being asked. Of course that might have had something to do with the scowl that Hiei had on his face, and the fact that Jin was a well known member of the ex-Shinobi clan.

They had worked their way closer to the heart of the encampment, but seen no trace of the girl they searched for. The one thing they did seem to notice was the large amount of demons that seemed to be suffering from the Living World version of the flu.

All around them, they could see the lower level demons scurrying around. But the stench of blood and dying flesh was still strong in the encampment. A large number of the lower level demons they had seen looked like they would have been better off dead. Their eyes were glassy, and their skin pale. Hacking coughs could be heard and the unmistakable sounds of sneezing interrupted the sporadically hoarse voices of the demons around them.

"What is the matter with them" Kurama asked. "They…..they appear to be sick. This is most peculiar."

"It doesn't make sense." Hiei muttered as they passed by a tent that had housed at least three shivering demons, even though it was easily ninety degrees outside.. "How could so many get sick at the same time"

'This is not normal, Kurama.' Youko said, his voice slightly surprised at the death that lay before them. 'Something is not right here. I've never seen so many demons like this before.'

We've already established that fact, Youko. Kurama sighed.

"Wher' we plan on startin' ta look" Jin asked out loud, oblivious to the mental discussion he had just interrupted.

"The auctions should be starting shortly." Hiei said. "That would be the most logical option."

"True. But if the girl is being withheld by the ringleader of the slave trade, he could very well be hiding her somewhere close to himself to insure that she does not attempt an escape."

"Wel' mos' of the more 'xpensive slaves are kep' in their master's quarter's." Jin said thoughtfully. "We be needin' to fin' the head guy."

Youko, do you recognize any of these demons? Kurama asked. He could feel the kitsune spirit looking around, trying to find a familiar face in the crowd.

'I don't recognize any.' the silver spirit said. 'But I do remember that there was a demon named Hogoki that used to specialize in rare and unique species of slaves.'

Is he still in business? Hiei asked.

'I'm not sure.' Youko answered. 'It is possible, but he should not be too hard to spot.'

How so?

'He's a big, fat idiot that got half his face tore off in a fight with a neko demon one time.' Youko chuckled. 'He walks with a limp, speaks with an accent, and has a hair-do worse than Hiei's.'

I heard that, fox. Hiei growled.

'Good. You were meant to.' Youko teased.

Do you think he's still running his part? Kurama asked, derailing an argument between Hiei and the spirit in his own head.

'More than likely.' Youko said, shrugging his shoulders. 'He would purposely live this long just to piss other demons off.'

Sounds like my kind of demon. Hiei commented.

"So where we startin'" Jin's voice cut in.

"The main tents." Kurama said, his eyes catching sight of a number of more well dressed demons exiting a larger tent off to the side of the four large ones. "And I know just where to begin."

-Yusuke's group….-

As Yusuke, Kuwabara, and Touya walked up to the main tents, a rather large demon with black eyes, three horns, and black hair stepped in front of them, blocking their way in. Touya, already expecting that they would find some sort of guard, stepped in front of the other two and looked up at the burly demon, completely unperturbed.

"No one goes in without the boss' permission." he said, his voice dark and brooding. "What business you got here"

"We're looking to buy a couple of good, high quality slaves." Touya said easily, drawing attention to himself and away from where the demon was eyeing Yusuke and Kuwabara. "I assume Gaganzi's newest stock is acceptable"

"The boss don't sell no low class slaves." the burly demon said, crossing his muscular arms in agitation.

"Of course." Touya said, waving his hand in dismissal. "He's never let us down before. When can I speak with him"

"Who the hell are you, pretty boy" the demon growled. "The boss don't just see any scum that comes prancin' up to the door."

"Tell Gaganzi that Touya wishes to speak with him." the Ice Master said, a smirk on his face when the demon seemed to flinch. "He's sold quite a number of useful demons to the members of the Shinobi clan before, and I'm relatively sure he'll remember who I am." The demon only studied him for a long second before turning to enter into the tent.

"Stay here." he growled, letting the tent flap fall shut behind him. Touya merely nodded in ascent.

"The Shinobi bought slaves" Kuwabara asked quietly, looking at the Ice Master.

"Risho had a fondness for using the lower class demons as target practice when he was in one of particularly vindictive moods." Touya said with a grimace. "I personally never liked his twisted little games. But….to each his own." They did not have the chance to say anything else, because at that moment, the demon guard reappeared. But this time, there was another with him. The demon standing beside the guard looked almost human, had it not been for the dark green hair and yellow eyes that adorned his face.

"Gaganzi." Touya said, nodding in acknowledgement. "I see you're well."

"As well as to be expected, Ice Master." the man said, bowing respectively. He had run into the Shinobi on more than one occasion. And angering them would be most detrimental to his health, or anyone else's for that matter. "My guard tells me that you wish to speak with me about acquiring some higher level slaves."

"Yes." the Ice Master said, nodding at the demon. "My acquaintances and I wish to see your more, selective stock. Is there a problem with that"

"Of course not." Gaganzi answered. "Please, follow me. I'm sure you will find something to suit your tastes." The demon seller turned and walked back into the tent, this time with Touya and the other two detectives following behind.

-Kurama's group….-

The three spirit detectives walked up to the large tent that was set close to the main auctioning area. No one stopped them, and no one questioned them until they entered into the tent. A demon with green tinted skin, blood red eyes, and scaly hands approached them, a sinister smile on it's ugly face.

"What can I do for you gentlemensssss" he hissed.

Snake demon. Kurama thought, grimacing. Wonderful.

'Please, don't sound so enthused.' Youko muttered.

"We're looking for Hogoki." Kurama stated firmly, getting straight to the point. "Is he here" The snake demon only grinned, bowing once again.

"The masssssster issss in." it hissed lowly. "Who may I assssssk is wanting to sssseee him"

"Kurama." the red-head answered, looking the snake directly in the eye. "Youko Kurama."

"Whatsssss" the reptile hissed in disbelief. "The legendary Youko Kurama dissssappeared yearsssss ago. And the lasssst time anyone ssssaw him, he wassss workingssss for that Spirit World brat Koenmasssss." Kurama growled and let Youko take control of their shared body in order to prove their point. The emerald green eyes melded into a golden hue and Kurama could feel his canines elongate slightly in his mouth.

"I work for no one." the kitsune's voice overlapped Kurama's normal voice as he pulled the snake demon up off of his feet and slammed him against a nearby post. "As far as that toddler Koenma is concerned, he is no longer any concern of mine. We severed ties a number of months ago due to some irreconcilable differences. Now, is Hogoki here, or not" Youko dropped the now quivering snake demon and waited for his answer.

"Hogoki is heresss." it answered. "But he will not sssseee a traitorss."

"I don't think you understood, snake." Hiei said coldly, stepping up to the quivering demon and placing the cold steel of his katana at the demon's throat. "Youko and I are here, acting on orders left to us by Mukuro. Now do you really want to anger her as well" The ploy worked and the snake stood up immediately upon hearing the name of the demoness who had ruled the northeastern sector of Makai for the longest time. She was no longer on her throne in the territories of Makai, but it was well known that she still had a large amount of pull when push came to shove. She was not a person with whom it was wise to cross, and everyone knew that. It was also well known that Hiei had been working under her for a long time, and that fact was starting to pay off greatly.

"One moment pleasssee." the snake hissed. "I will tellssss the massster that you wissssshesss to ssspeak with himsss." The snake scuttled off into the interior of the tent, leaving the three detectives to wait.

"You blokes sure know 'ow ta get a point 'cross, don' yeh" Jin chuckled. "Looks like ol'scaly was 'bout ta wet 'is pants."

"Now is not the time for your ridiculous jokes." Hiei muttered, casting a glance back at the elfin eared Wind Master.

"Aye" Jin pouted.

"Don't start." Youko's voice ground out over Kurama's. "We don't have time for your petty arguments." Jin just 'hmphed' and crossed his arms. A few seconds later, the snake returned with a rather corpulent demon with him.

The large, red skinned demon took one look at Hiei and Kurama, and his scowl turned into a look of sickening pleasure. His face was in fact, half scared from what seemed to be a rather turbulent battle. His hair was a strong gray color, and stuck out all over his head as though he had never groomed it. His beady black eyes rested the longest on Hiei, trying to size up the demons in front of him.

"Gentlemen, to what do I owe the pleasure" he asked in a sickeningly friendly tone that immediately put the detectives on edge.

"We are in need of some good quality slaves, Hogoki." Hiei said, his arms folded and a scowl on his face. "However it seems as though your underlings have it in their heads that we're still working for Enma's brat."

"Is that so" Hogoki asked, casting a scathing look at the snake demon beside him, who immediately began backing away in fear of his master's volatile temper. "He didn't give you any problems, I hope."

"Nothing that a good beating wouldn't take care of." came Youko's growl. The fat demon nodded in agreement, glaring down at his underling even harder.

"I'll take care of his insuboardnance personally." Hogoki said, waving his hand as if to dismiss the fact. "Rest assured that it won't happen again."

"Let's hope not." Hiei said. "I'd hate to report back to Mukuro that one of her prime sources of slaves has fallen out of favor due to disrespectful underlings."

"Like I said, it won't happen again." Hogoki said, sending the low class demon below him into violent shutters and whimpering. "Now, what can I interest you gentlemen in today? You're in luck, seeing as how I'm running the entire camp this time. Choice morsels for your viewing pleasure. What are you particularly interested in"

"We were sent here with orders to find something to….entertain…ourselves with." Youko said with a chuckle as his eyes flashed predatorily, sticking to the lies they had formulated earlier. "A present for our continued good services to Lady Mukuro, despite the fact she was removed from her position."

"Ahhh" Hogoki said, a knowing smile on his face. "You are in search of a demoness to satisfy your more…carnal…urges. I understand. I have something you may be interested in. Follow me." They entered into the farther part of the tent where cages lined both sides of the small walkway. Within the cages were rare female demons, each one rarely ever seen by the rest of the race.

The demoness' cringed back as Hogoki walked down the aisle slowly, letting Hiei and Youko look at each one until they decided what they wanted to do. The demoness' within the cages were bound, but not dirty and smelly like some of the others. It was obvious that Hogoki had kept them presentable in the hopes that he would get a better price for them on the auction block.

As they continued on, Kurama, Hiei, and Jin were in the middle of a mental discussion.

She's not in here. Kurama said. I don't see her anywhere.

'It could be possible that another of the head leaders have her.' Youko pointed out.

We could tell 'im that we wants to see the res' of the options 'fore we make a choice. Jin pointed out. Shake'em up a bit, yeh know.

'It is too risky to just out right ask about a water demoness.' Youko said. 'If we do, it will raise suspicions, and we do not need that.'

Perhaps Yusuke and the others have had some luck. Kurama thought, walking to another of the cages to inspect what looked like a raven demoness. We should check with them before making any other moves.

Agreed. came Hiei's response. Kurama stood back from the cage he was standing in front of and turned to Hogoki, a frown on his face.

"Is this all you have, Hogoki" he asked. "These females are useless to me. Not a one of them have enough spirit to even fight back. I don't like my women to be completely docile. Some fight is good." The fat demon seemed a taken aback by the bluntness of the kitsune's tone. "I think we may just wait until the auction this evening before choosing. What do you think Hiei, Jin"

"Seems like a reasonable enough option." Hiei said, disgust evident in his voice as he scanned over the caged females. "These have had all the spirit beaten out of them already. It's no fun if the sellers do the fun part of breaking them in before selling them."

"Ya' got any tha' don' cringe in the corner whe' yeh walk by" Jin asked, looking over at the disfigured demon seller. "We need som'thing that's gonna at leas' put up a little fight." The demon seemed to think for a moment before a smirk came across his face.

"These are too tame for you, huh" He asked, cracking a sinister grin at the three demons. "I'll tell you what. I've got a couple stashed away that you might like. I couldn't leave them with these little beauties because they kept making trouble. So I had to take them in hand for a little while to keep them from driving everyone crazy. Unfortunately, they won't be here until right before the auction tonight. I just got my hands on one, quite the little spitfire, if you know what I mean. Scratched up three of my best handlers, and killed two more when we caught her."

"When can we see them" Hiei asked. "Time is money, Hogoki. And I'm not a very patient demon."

"Come to the main tent tonight for the meal." he said. "I'll have you seated in prime seats for the auction. And the ones I'm talking about will be with us. I was holding them back until the last day of the auction to raise their prices up. I've already gotten quite a hefty bid for two of the five. And the latest one is still raising bids. But seeing as how you three are working for Mukuro, I'll let you have first dibs on them."

"Fine." Youko said absently. "We'll be there tonight. Perhaps Touya and the others have found some suitable candidates."

"You've got more people here" Hogoki asked, raising and eyebrow in question. He could almost hear the money rolling in off of the thought of having more of Mukuro's so-called soldiers buying from him.

"Three of our other companions are searching some of the other sellers." Hiei said nonchalantly.

"No poin' in not checkin' all the options, righ'" Jin chuckled. "We'll see who's got the bes' that way." Hogoki nodded and bowed again.

"I was not aware that you had other companions with you." he said. "Please, extend the invitation for tonight to them as well."

"We'll mention it to them." Youko said, turning to walk out of the tent. "I hope you don't disappoint us, Hogoki."

"Yes, it would be a shame to return to Mukuro empty handed." Hiei added. Hogoki visibly swallowed in nervousness, but nodded

"I'm sure you will find what you search for tonight." he said. "You won't be disappointed, I can assure you."

"Let's hope for your health that you're right." Hiei threatened. "I don't like wasting time my time, and that's all you're doing right now." The three demons turned on their heels and walked out of the tent, leaving a quite shook up Hogoki in their wake.

-Yusuke's group…-

The slaves caged up in Gaganzi's tents were not in much better shape than the ones Hogoki had had. When Yusuke, Touya, and Kuwabara finally got out of the tent, they were more than annoyed. Almost two hours had passed while they searched in and around the closest tents, and still no sign of the demoness Meleena.

"Now what" Kuwabara asked.

"We keep looking." Yusuke answered. "Anymore ideas as to where they might be hiding her, Touya"

"Nothing in particular." Touya answered. "She may not even be here anymore, to be perfectly honest. She may have already been bought."

"Don't tell me that, Icy." Yusuke said. "We came in here to get the damned girl, and we're going to find her even if I have to blow this place apart"

"Suit yourself." Touya answered. "I'm just suggesting something that might have happened."

"Well, let's keep looking." Kuwabara said. "Just standing here is not helping us any." Yusuke nodded and the three of them took off to check around the area some more. They still had a couple of hours before they were scheduled to meet back up with Kurama and the others outside the tent-city.

Fortunately, with Touya's reputation as an ex-Shinobi, and the reputation that Yusuke had managed to make for himself in Makai, they were not questioned as to their being in the encampment to begin with, especially considering Kuwabara was completely human. But, on the bright side, they had heard that another group, supposedly some of Mukuro's old fighters, were looking around for some slaves as well, and had shaken the head guy up pretty badly.

Yusuke had suspected that they were talking about Hiei, Kurama, and Jin. And the addition of Mukuro's name into that group only reinforced that theory. 'Hiei's making enough waves to sink a ship.' he thought. 'Only someone like him would have enough guts to start throwing Mukuro's name around in a place like this.' The spirit detective sighed and shook his head as he entered into another tent that was teaming with crooks, thieves, and killers, just waiting to try and con something out of them. 'Sometimes I hate this damned job.'

-

A/N - Okay, I've got some explaining to do, and I know it.

As for Mukuro, I'm not exactly sure about the part she plays in the YuYu storyline, so I'm probably way off the mark here. But I was told that she was the demon that ruled over the northeastern section of Makai, and that she and Hiei had some sort of past at some point, but she was eventually kicked out of her position because she didn't win a tournament.

So, just for the sake of this story, I'm taking that at face value, because I've never finished the entire manga, and I'm just going on what I've found on the internet. At this point, I'm going to pretend that Hiei worked with her for a while, then left to continue on as a spirit detective after she lost her throne.

THANK YOU !

Anyhow, please remember to review. I want to know what everyone thinks. So drop me a line.

Later,

A.A.