Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Ruler of Makai ❯ Keiko's Past ( Chapter 10 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Keiko's Past
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~< /font>
 
Where we left off…
 
The enemy quickly descended on the fallen fighters, but someone had blocked it's death blow. Jin and Touya opened their eyes which were closed. Keiko stood in front of them holding the intruder back.
 
“Kitsune, Phoenix get them out of here fast! Shadow, Violet combine your powers and cast a barrier over us! Whatever happens DON'T DROP THE BARRIER!!!!” Keiko shouted.
 
Her teammates swiftly responded to her instruction. Once Phoenix and Kitsune got the Shinobies out, Shadow and Violet cast the barrier. Shadow cast his barrier first to absorb any demonic energy attack and Violet cast her barrier last so that the demon wouldn't be able to get out. Akimoto and Mist ran to the Shinobies and healed them.
 
“You traitorous whore! How dare you defy your creator?” the demon hissed.
 
Keiko looked at the demon with impenetrable eyes and replied, “I am my own master, demon. What business do you have here? Answer me sufficiently and I'll make your death quick.
 
The demon laughed. “He wants you back, Keiko. He sent me to watch over you, to record your every move, and to report back to him how lovely you have grown. Do you think your “friends” will accept you with open arms once they know what you have done?” the demon asked in a mocking tone. Keiko lowered her head so that her bangs covered her eyes. She wasn't sure. Will they accept her once they know the truth?
 
“Who the hell is that?” Yusuke shouted.
 
“That is one of the demons that follow a monstrous lord name Shin.” Akimoto said as he walked to Raizen.
 
“What business does he have here?” Raizen asked as he set aside their differences so they could converse.
 
Akimoto let out a stressed sigh. “He's the reason we are here. I came to ask for the alliance of the three kings to fight the resurrection of this great evil.” He answered.
 
Kurama looked at him. “What evil do you speak of?” he asked.
 
“Shin is the true ruler of Makai, but we can't allow him to live again. He is a vile creator that torments all life whether it be demon or humans. If he is resurrected all three worlds will be thrown into chaos and endless bloodshed.” Akimoto said in a grave voice.
 
Before anyone could ask anything else there attention was directed towards the barrier once again when they heard a pained cry. Keiko had rammed her staff into the demon's stomach. She pulled it out as she jumped a safe distant away. The demon looked at her with anger in its eyes. He took his claws and covered them in his own blood and charged at her. He sent numerous slashed at her and eventually his claws sliced her across her chest. She let out a loud yelp and punched him away. When the demon was on the other side of the barrier she fell on her knees and clutched her chest in excruciating pain. Her breath was coming out in short pants and the demon looked triumphantly at her.
 
“What have you done to me demon?!” She questioned in a sharp voice.
 
“I predicted I would have to face you. I knew I couldn't win so why not take you down with me if I couldn't bring you to my lord? I drank a vile of poison that Lord Shin had given me. This poison has no antidote and you should be dead within two hours.” The demon answered with a smirk.
 
Yukina, Mist, and Violet paled considerably. Keiko dieing? It was hard to believe. They knew she was the strongest demon there was even stronger than Akimoto and the kings. Now she was dieing right before their eyes. Keiko eyes were fading fast and her breath was becoming shallower with each passing minute.
 
“No Keiko please you have to get out of there!” Yukina shouted as she ran towards the barrier, but before she could reach it Kitsune grabbed her.
 
“Let me go I have to go to her. She's hurt. I can't lose another person I love!” Yukina sobbed as she struggled against his bond.
 
Kitsune turned her so she was facing him. “Do you think I want to watch her die?! She is just as much of a sister to me as she is to you, but you running carelessly into danger like that will only bring her more pain. Staying out of danger is the best thing you can do for her right now!” Kitsune ordered her.
 
Yukina slumped down in defeat and Kitsune gently placed her on the ground. Boton and Shizuru ran up to her and tried to calm her down. Everyone was shocked, beside Akimoto and his team, at what they heard. Keiko is the missing sister Yukina was talking about? Hiei was unprepared for this shocking revelation and turned his eyes to the woman in the barrier.
 
“Why don't you beg for your miserable life bitch? Maybe I'll let you live and return you to Lord Shin for a handsome reward.” The demon laughed evilly.
 
Keiko glared at the demon. She had to act quickly to kill this demon before anymore damage could be done. She looked at her surroundings and saw all of her friends' eyes on her. She let a lone tear slip from her eyes. She knew what must be done.
 
“What got nothing to say? How about I tell them about your past then?” he said. This obviously got her attention as he noticed her shoulders stiffened.
 
Yusuke shouted to him, “What do you mean about her past? She is a kind person what could she have done.”
 
The demon started to laugh hysterically. “Kind?! She may be like that now, but she was far from that in her youth. Shall I tell them, Keiko? Your so called friend was one of the favorite killing creation my lord has made. She was created to kill and so she only lived to kill. No matter what my master told her she would gladly obey. Whether it was an order to kill demons or innocent humans. She would raid the village and devour every single being till nothing was left of them.” He answered maliciously.
 
Keiko knuckles became starch white as she fisted her hand. Everyone stared with disbelief in their eyes. She looked at Yukina. Her young sister looked at her with sadness in her eyes like she betrayed her. Her heart constricted as Keiko thought Yukina had rejected her.
 
Keiko was starting to laugh insanely. The demon looked at her with suspicion in his eyes. “Murderous demon, huh? You want to have the honor of seeing me as I was once again. If I die a least I'll see you in hell with me!” Keiko screeched. Her eyes grew blood red and her fangs and claws were elongated. She threw her staff to the side and it disappeared.
 
The demon knew he was going to die because of his mouth. Keiko ran to him at an incredible speed that no one could keep up with him. She continuously slashed all over his body. All of his limbs were bleeding severely and all he could do was scream in agony. Keiko ignored the poison seeping into her body. Yukina pleaded for her to stop, but her shouting fell on deaf ears. Keiko was gone now. The demon that was created to kill had fully awakened and now it could only think of one thing…blood. The assassin could feel his life leaving him, but had no way of escaping it.
 
“Please spare me! I lied there is an antidote. If you let me live I swear I'll give it to you.” He pleaded.
 
She landed a punch to his face that sent him flying. She came up behind him and held him so he couldn't move. The smell of fear radiating off of him was sending her predatory senses off the chart. “Spare you? Why would I do that? I have a perfect meal in front of me.” She replied as she sank her fangs into his neck. She ignored the poison in his blood stream and she continued to drink his blood. The demon was screaming in pain as she drank him. Keiko released her hold on his neck and plunged her claws into his cut. She grabbed his internal organs and ripped them out. She threw the body over to the other side of the barrier. Her claws were stained with his blood so she brought them to her mouth to clean them.
 
Did you know I can send you to the deepest pit in hell, or did Shin forget to add that little part in?” Keiko hissed.
 
The demons eyes widened. “Wha what do you mean?” He asked in his dieing breath.
 
“I can control where my opponent's soul will go, and I think hell has a room for your soul. So I think that's where I'll send you. Farewell demon.” Keiko said with a smirk.
 
“WAIT YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING WAIT PLEASE NNNNOOOOO!!!” The demon shouted as his body twitched uncontrollably. The demon could feel his soul being ripped from his body. All of a sudden the body became motionless.
 
Keiko just stood there with a smirk on her face as blood dripped from her finger tips. Boton and Shizuru cringed at her appearance. Keiko's clothing was stained with blood every where, there was cuts all over her body, and blood was dripping from her mouth. Everyone found it hard to believe that this is the same Keiko who supported all of them.
 
Keiko started walking towards the three kings. They stared into her eyes, but could see nothing but bloodlust. She reached the barriers and Shadow's dark powers were sucked into her body. Her aura spiked and some of her cuts started to heal. Dark markings were appearing on her body the more the dark energy she absorbed. She reached out her hand to touch the miko barrier, but it shocked her hand. She looked at her charred hand, but paid no attention to it. She formed black energy balls and shot them at the barrier. The energy colliding together was making large explosions. Violet was starting to sweat as she tried to hold the barrier up.
 
“Violet drop the barrier I'm going in.” Akimotto commanded.
 
Everyone looked at him like he was crazy. “Are you crazy, Akimoto? Judging from her aura I can already tell she is stronger than you. Stepping in there would only ensure your death.” Raizen voiced.
 
“I can't let you do that, Hunter. Vixen told me not to let the barrier down and that's what I intend to do.” Violet said.
 
Akimoto sighed. “Then you leave me no choice.” He said as he rushed towards her and landed a blow on the back of her head rendering her unconscious. Phoenix caught her before she could hit the ground. Phoenix looked towards Hunter with anger in his eyes. Before Phoenix could say anything Kitsune held out his hand in front of him signaling him to be silent.
 
“You four stand guard over them.” Akimoto commanded.
 
“What are you planning to do?” Kuwabara asked.
 
“I'm bringing her back.” Was Akimoto's simple reply.
 
“And how are you planning to do that?” Yusuke asked with sarcasm.
 
Akimoto looked over to Yusuke with determination in his eyes and replied, “I don't know how, but I will. She is my daughter, my heir, and my life. I will not let her do this to herself. I made a promise that I'll protect her and I intend on keeping it.”
 
Little did he know as he walked to Keiko he had earned everyone's respect. Keiko's eyes never left Akimoto's face. It was as if she was trying to remember him. She sped towards him intending to plunge her claw through his chest, but Akimotto caught both of her hands. She struggled to free her hand, but he wouldn't budge.
 
“Keiko look at what you're doing to yourself! Do you want to prove that the demon was correct in his assumption that you're nothing but a blood lusting demon?” He asked her.
 
She continued to fight against him as she growled her frustration. Akimoto let go of her hand and she swiped her claws at him, but didn't make contact. “Do you think you talking to me is enough? No one understands me. All these years I put up a face that everyone wanted to see. You don't care!” Keiko looked at him straight in the eyes. Tears were falling from her face as her shoulders racked from her sobs. All who were present watching her felt pity for her. Yusuke especially felt guilty from how he treated.
 
“You know that's not true. What do you think Yukina, Kitsune, and I have been doing? We supported you the whole way. We accepted who you are. It's not your fault you were created that way!” Akimoto shouted.
 
Keiko didn't listen. She ran towards him. Akimoto not seeing her, ended up with a deep cut across his chest. His eyes widened as he looked into her sinister face. At this point Kitsune couldn't stand by and watch anymore. He dashed towards her and tackled her to the side.
 
“Keiko you're a kind person. Remember when I was nothing but a cub and you saved me? If it wasn't for you I would be dead now. Don't throw your life away just because of what you did in your past!” Kitsune tried to tell her.
 
“I don't know who you are, but if you don't leave now I won't hesitate to kill you!” Keiko stated as she turned her blood shot gaze at him.
 
Kitsune gasped as she said this. “If you don't remember this form then how about this?” Kitsune asked as the transformed to a fox, but only slightly larger. Keiko's eyes widened as she stared at him. She fell on her knees grasping her head in pain at trying to remember and let out a pained cry. She lifted her head and stretched out her hand like she was trying to reach Kitsune.
 
“What's going on?” Boton asked.
 
Shadow answered her, “Kitsune changed into his real form hoping to break her out of her trance.”
 
“But how will that help her? What connection does she have with him that none of us could help?” Shizuru asked.
 
“Kitsune is like her son.” Phoenix said in a low voice.
 
“Does she have a mate?” Kurama asked. He was hoping in his head that she didn't. “You know that would suck considering all the trouble we had to go through.” Youko said. “We can't worry about that right now Youko. Can't you see she is in danger. If Akimoto and Kitsune don't subdue her now she would be on a rampage.” Shuichi said in a grave tone. “But if they do mange to subdue we would have to worry about the poison.” Youko added. “Yes either way this isn't turning out to good.”
 
“No, Kitsune is her adopted son. A long time ago she found him as a cub in the woods. He wondered around with no mother so Keiko took him into her care. She treated him as her own, and he obeyed like a son would his mother. Over the years a bond grew between them till they could never be separated even in death.” Mist replied.
 
“What do you mean even in death?” Mukuro asked curiously.
 
“Once during a mission Kitsune was gravely wounded. Now matter what medicine or healing she tried she couldn't save him. Keiko being the person she was she couldn't bear the pain of loosing him. In a last act of desperation she transferred some of her life energy into his body thus she shortened her own life. So Kitsune's body's is the one she gave him, but the fox form is his real body.” Violet said as she finally gained consciousness.
 
Kitsune slowly walked towards Keiko's out stretched hand. “Sato…help me.” Keiko pleaded in a harsh voice.
 
“Who's Sato?” Kuwabara asked.
 
“Sato is Kitsune's real name.” Shadow informed them.
 
Kitsune came up to her hand. Keiko slowly stroked her hand through his fur. Kitsune nuzzled against her hand trying to calm her down. When Keiko brought her hand to Kitsune's right shoulder she all of sudden plunged her hand into it, grabbed his shoulder bone, and threw him to where Akimoto was. Kitsune let out a loud yelp as she sent him air born, but Akimoto caught him before he could hit the ground. Everyone turned their eyes to Keiko at her sudden change of mood, but they only saw a blank stare on her face. Keiko ran towards them intent on finishing them off.
 
“NO KEIKO PLEASE STOP!!!” Yukina screamed as she ran in front of the injured demons.
 
At this everyone held their breath as Yukina interfered. Keiko on hearing this stopped her hand that was a centimeter from Yukina's throat. Hiei was about to dash in, but an arm held him back. He turned his eyes to the person who was holding him back.
 
“Let me go Mukuro!” Hiei said in a deadly voice.
 
“I can't let you do that. Think about it. If I let you rush in there it might set her off and attack your sister. She will see you as a threat. The best thing we can do now is hope for your sister to break through to her.” Mukuro said in a low voice of steel.
 
Hiei jerked his hand away from her and stood in his place. He couldn't help but get chill about what would happen if something goes wrong.
 
“Keiko please stop this,” Yukina said as she cried and tentatively touched the bloody claw. To everyone's surprise Yukina wasn't crying tears of gem, but really tears! “Why are you hurting them? They're trying to help you. Right now you're scaring me. I don't care what you did in your past. It wasn't your fault please come back to me. Keiko please come back to us as the kind person I know you are!” Yukina sobbed as she hugged the older girl.
 
Keiko eyes started to clear up and realized what she had done. Keiko slowly dropped to her knees, and hugged Yukina tight as she rested her chin on top of Yukina's head. Tears were falling from Keiko's eyes as she tried to speak, “I'm sorry, Yukina. I didn't mean to make you cry. You just saved me. You said what I needed to hear.” Keiko soothed Yukina. All of a sudden Keiko collapsed from exhaustion.
 
“Oh Kami, Keiko, Keiko wake up!” Mist and Violet shouted as they ran to her.
 
“Raizen, please, do you have a spare room we can use?” Akimoto asked him.
 
“Of course, Yusuke show them to an extra guest room in the royal wing.” Raizen commanded. Yusuke nodded his head with no disagreement. He led Akimoto, Violet, and Phoenix who was carrying Keiko's limp body to the room.
 
“Will she be alright?” Boton asked.
 
“I hope so she always has been a strong fighter.” Mist replied.
 
“I know she will be alright. It's whether or not will she accept her faults.” Kitsune added. Everyone turned their gaze to the humanoid Kitsune whose shoulder was bleeding.
 
“Oh, I can heal that for you.” Yukina said as she walked up to him and healed his wound.
 
“Thank you.” Was his reply.
 
Everyone looked around at the damaged room. “I suggest everyone return to their quarters and freshen up. Something tells me we are going to have a very long night. I will have the servants clean up the mess.” Raizen told.
 
All of them nodded their heads and left, but Mist, Shadow, and Kitsune left to go to Keiko's room. After they exited servants filed in to clean up the room. They cringed at the bloody sight before them, but worked quietly not wanting to know what happened.
 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~< /font>
 
In front of Keiko's room…
 
Everyone had changed back into their usual attire and arrived in front of Keiko's chamber hoping to see if she was okay. Yusuke's team arrived to see that Mist, Kitsune, and Shadow already there. Mist was leaning to Shadow's embrace as he was trying to keep her calm, while Kitsune was leaning on the side of the door with his eyes closed.
 
“How is she now?” Genkai asked.
 
Mist looked over to the woman and replied in a hushed voice, “We don't know, they haven't come out of the room yet.”
 
“Let's cut to the chase. You demons know a great deal about Keiko so what's going on?” Hiei asked impatiently.
 
“We don't know of her past. She keeps that a secret and nor does she wish to speak of it. What we do know is what we had experienced with her.” Mist shot at him for his rudeness.
 
“Then what is the past between her and you?” Kurama asked in a gentle voice not wanting to anger the stronger demons.
 
Mist and Shadow looked at each other. Mist was the first to speak, “Violet and I had shared our childhood together. We grew up carefree, but one day our parents were killed and we were sold into a slave camp.”
 
Mist stopped to suppress the tears that were in her eyes because of the memory. Shadow held her tighter lending her his strength. The others waited patiently for her to continue.
 
“In the camp we were stripped of our pride, dignity, and body. We were nothing more than sex slaves, bed warmers, and servants. If we didn't do our duty or did them poorly a punishment was imposed upon us. With our wills broken we thought there was nothing more to live for, but that changed when Vixen saved us. She felt our pain and fear and sought us out. Once she found us along with the guys, they slayed the disgusting demons and took us in, but we were far too afraid to trust anyone. She nursed us back to health with her tender care, and we eventually came to depend on her. Ever since then we have been with her. She trained us to our full potential and helped us harness our power. So we are forever grateful and loyal to her.” Mist ended.
 
“Wow, you two must have gone through a great deal there.” Shizuru said with sympathy.
 
“I guess, but I don't dwell on it as much anymore since I have people who care about me.” Mist said as she smiled at Shadow who returned it.
 
“So Shadow what's your story?” Kuwabara asked with curiosity.
 
“Hmm, I lived a long life and it wasn't a very pretty one.” Shadow started. “You can say that I pretty much lived my life like Raizen's. I fed on humans and did as I pleased till one day I ran into a group of mikos sent to purify me. I fought them, but was wounded and nearly died. I had fallen and I knew it there was nothing left for me to do as I watched the miko sent their last wave of attack at me. I closed my eyes and accepted my defeat, but to my surprise there was nothing. I opened my eyes to find myself in a clearing with a woman standing in front of me. You can probably guess who it was.” Shadow said as he looked over to them.
 
The nodded their heads. “She told me her real name was Keiko or I could call her Vixen. I thought she would try to kill me, but she did the exact opposite. She healed me even though I was sure she knew who I was. After she was done she turned around to leave. I asked her what she wanted considering no one does this for free. Her answer took me off guard.” Shadow stopped as he stared off into a distant.
 
Yusuke broke his concentration and asked, “What did she say?”
 
“She said she hoped I'd change my way. I merely laughed at her and disappeared into the night, but days had passed by and I couldn't forget about her or go back to my old life. I decided to find her. I searched everywhere, only to find her at one of the villages I attacked in the past helping the children who survived to rebuild it. I watched her for a period of time and became mesmerized at her kindness. Once she was finished and left. I followed her, but she knew I had been watching her. She stopped and asked me why I was following her. I revealed myself and told her my reason. She looked into my eyes like she was searching my soul. She accepted me and I trained under her ever since.” He concluded.
 
“Has she trained all of you to fight?” Genkai asked.
 
“Yes.” Mist answered simply.
 
At that moment the kings had arrived and looked at the demons. They exchanged information of what had happened so far. During the conversation the door slowly opened. Akimoto and Phoenix stepped out with relieved faces. Akimoto's wound had healed itself and he seemed un-phased at what had transpired.
 
“How is she?” Yukina asked.
 
Akimoto flashed her smile. “She is resting now thanks to you. Violet was able to draw out the poison. It took quite a bit of energy, but she managed it and Keiko is recovering. The stress is taking its toll on her mind though.” Akimoto told them.
 
“So what is the relationship between the two of you?” Raizen asked his brother.
 
“Well, we had been together for a very long time lets put it that way. I found her in a village attacking the humans. I lured her away and fought her. I subdued her and tried to talk to her, but she was an untamed beast back then. I injured her, but I couldn't bring myself to kill her. Once I looked into her soul and found that she had no life. She was basically an empty shell or a doll you could say doing anyone's bidding. I slowly gained her trust and she looked to me as her father figure and to her she was my daughter. I asked her about her past and who her parents were, but I was unprepared for her answer.” Akimoto said.
 
“Does this have to do with the fact that she was created?” Mukuro asked.
 
“Yes, she has no parents or family. She is the ultimate elemental demon. Like the demon she killed said, Keiko was created as a killing device with no conscious or choice what-so-ever. She told me some of the unimaginable things she did as she cried at the memory. I could tell that the guilt was slowly eating at her, but I tried my best to tell her what she did was not of her own doing. No matter what I said I guess I couldn't get rid of it for her. She tries to amend her ways by helping others like Shadow and the rest of her friends. Her fears were finally put aside thanks to Yukina. She needed to hear it from someone pure hearted as Yukina to put her fear at ease.” Akimoto finished.
 
“But how do you know she won't lose her control again?” Hiei asked.
 
“I don't, but I trust her enough to take responsibility for her actions. She may look young, but she is very wise.” Akimoto informed them.
 
“How old is she then?” Shizuru asked.
 
“I actually don't know, but I think she's older than me.” He said casually.
 
“She's older than you, but you call her your daughter?” Raizen asked with his eyebrow raised.
 
Akimoto laughed and replied, “Well, that's how things are. Some of the best things are surprises I guess.”
 
“I hate to interrupt, but I think it would be best to continue the conversation about this Shin tomorrow since it looks like some of your guest look like they need some rest.” Yomi informed Raizen.
 
“It seems that you would be correct, Yomi,” Raizen said as he looked at Kuwabara, Shizuru, and Boton who could barely keep their eyes open, “you may return to your chamber, and Akimoto and your crew will be given quarters near Keiko so you won't have to worry to much about her.”
 
“Thank you that's much appreciated.” Akimoto said.
 
“Akimoto can I visit Keiko first?” Yukina wondered.
 
“Yeah, can we all see her?” Yusuke added in.
 
Akimoto thought about it for a while and said, “I suppose it would be alright, but I can only allow the girls the privilege of visiting her. You, boys, can see her tomorrow.”
 
“Fine then, see you girls later.” Yusuke said as he and the guys walked off.
 
The girls walked into the room as Akimoto bid the kings good night. They walked in to see Keiko lying on a bed with her eyes closed with Violet at her side. Upon their entrance Keiko opened her eyes and smiled at them.
 
“Hey, Vixen how you doing?” Mist was the first to ask.
 
Keiko laughed softly and replied, “I've seen better days. So why are all of you here?”
 
“We wanted to check on you before we hit the sack?” Shizuru answered.
 
Boton looked at Keiko nervously, “Um, Keiko I'm sorry for what I said. I guess I was so angry I didn't think straight.”
 
Keiko motioned Boton forward and held her hand. Keiko sent her a small smile and said, “It's alright. I don't blame you. It wasn't your fault for thinking that.”
 
“So why all the secrets?” Genkai asked.
 
“Trust me it was for the best.” Was all she said.
 
“You guys better get some sleep it's going to be a long day tomorrow.” Keiko gently commanded.
 
They nodded their head and left for the door except for Yukina. Yukina walked up to Keiko and held her hand. They just stared at each, but knew what the other was trying to say. Yukina gave a light kiss to Keiko's hand and Keiko rubber her thumb over Yukina's. They murmured their goodnights and Yukina left. Keiko settled down to get some rest as she closed her eyes.
 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~< /font>
 
Kurama's room…
 
“Hey Youko letspay Keiko a visit tonight.” Shuichi said. “I'm all for it, but what for?” Youko asked. “Well I wanted to give her some flowers and watch over her.” Shuichi said, but you could feel his blush. “Sure us watching over our damsel in distress who knows maybe we'll even get to talk to her.” Youko joked. “Thanks at midnight we leave then.” Shuichi informed his other half. “Alright then, let's get a few minute of sleep beforewetakeoff.” Youko commanded.
 
Kurama laid down on his bed and closed his eyes to get some sleep, but he was awake enough to know what was going around in his surrounding.