Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Silver dreams ❯ She's Staying... ( Chapter 10 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 10 She's Staying

Shiri's POV.

Both of my brothers stared at me as if I had lost my mind. Mirak held such a look of betrayal in his eyes at my statement, but not Shirak… No, Shirak looked as if he would kill Youko… Or me if it were quicker.

"We can't just leave you with this evil bandit. Father will have our hides, you understand me sister!?" Shirak growled.

"Well you have no choice!" I snapped harshly.

"What do you mean?" Mirak asked stunned.

"I mean that I will not come home if you continue to push the issue!" I yelled. "I will not let you hurt him for my decision. Go home and tell father not to come after me, because if he does I will gladly let Youko kill him!" I snarled.

"Let's go brother, there is nothing more we can do at this point," Mirak coaxed gently.

Shirak bore his fangs in irritation but let Mirak lead him away from the den. I waited until they were no longer in my range of view before turning slowly and heading back into Youko's den. I walked to the very back of the den where the firelight could not reach and sat down. I could feel the spirit fox's eyes following me and settling on me when I sat so I turned to face him.

"What is it?" I ask coldly.

"You…you actually did it. I thought you'd have changed your mind and left with them…" He whispered almost… sadly?

I sighed softly and moved closer to him and the fire. "If I had done that you would have just followed us and taken me again."

"You have a good point," he began, moving slightly closer to me. "Yet I get the feeling there is another reason," he finished, reaching out and tilting my chin up to face him.

"I guess… I was just tired of being their slave…" I admitted. Youko stared at me wide eyed but motioned for me to continue. "It was just that… I was never allowed to do anything… Father was too protective and made my brothers watch me like hawks. It pissed me off, I am not the little Kitsune they make me out to be!" I cried out in frustration. "That's why I am always so mad at you… You remind me of my father and Shirak… I am not permitted to go anywhere or do anything here, I am forever bound to you…" I surrendered sadly.

"Is that all?" He asked.

"I guess so," I replied.

"Then you have nothing to worry about," He stated.

"Wha…What do yo mean?" I stammered.

"I mean that you can do as you wish as long as you remain here with me," he explained. "Besides I don't think even I could keep you locked up. You're too free of a spirit, but I also know that I could never let you go… You are such a mystery…"

I didn't know how to respond to that, he was being so kind and understanding… I smiled a little basking in this new side of the usually brash thief. I figured I had better enjoy it while I could because it wasn't going to come around much.

"Can…can I ask you why?" I requested.

"There's something special about you," was his enigmatic reply.

"I highly doubt that," I said forlornly.

"How can you doubt my thought?" He questioned. "My thoughts are my own… My feelings are my own. If I feel that there is something special about you then there is."

Now I was really at a loss for words and more than baffled by what he said. It was rare for anyone to say such a kind word about me except for maybe my mother. I smiled a bright smile for once, the words touched me, they really did. "Thank you, that means more to me than you know."

Suddenly I was pulled tight against Youko's chest and his strong arms held me in place. "I'm glad, I promise to let you spread your wings… As long as you always fly back to me," he whispered possessively.

I let out a happy sigh and a small yawn before closing my eyes and falling into a calming sleep.

To be Continued…