Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Siren's Song ❯ Chapter 13

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Time for another chapter! Disclaimer: I don't own YYH

Today is the best day ever! Woo hoo!

Thank you for the reviews and I'll try to make less author notes. Also, there may be a tad bit of ooc in this chapter...sry!^_^
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

<Nyx>

~Dream~

I was back in my cave again, the one I grew up in. My mom was there, singing a lullaby to my little sister. Her voice was so...celestic (sp?) that it would calmn everything around her, and set everything in a happy mood. When the song was over my sister was asleep and my mom turned to me, with a broken smile on her face, and her unusual dark blue eyes shining with tears. "Kali, I must go, I had a dream and..." Her voice faded out and I knew what was coming, this nightmare had plagued me for years. Suddenly I was in the judgement cave of the clan, and they were all glaring at me, and every once in awhile I would get hit with a stone or harsh note thrown from the crowd. Muttered whispers of the dark one were all around me, that I would weaken the clan, and that I was a bad omen. Then the high counsel came out, my grandfather the lead of them. He barely looked at me before he sentenced me to the worst Decree of Moira. Suddenly I was on the edge of a cliff, and all the feathers from my wings were gone, as the punishment of Moira goes. Tears coursed down my face as I knew what happened next in this dream, my sister would come next and knock me over the edge, all the while holding our grandfather's hand.
I waited for it in the dream, but it never came. Instead the crowd disappeared and I was on the beach. My wings were restored and in their full glory. What my clan didn't know is that I had no fear of water, it being a part of me. And my wings didn't absorb it like theirs' did, but rather deflected it, like a ducks. A figure was swimming towards me, and when it was shallow enough began walking. It was a man, that much I could tell. He had dark hair, streaked with dark green jade. His eyes were dark pink, as I saw when he came closer. (Haha get it? Pink and Blue make Purple, the color of Nyx's eyes) I wasn't afraid only curious. His skin was the same color as mine, and I realized I was looking at my father. He finally approached me and we just stared at eachother for a few minutes. Then, as if on some silent cue, we both jumped forward and hugged the other. He kept saying "My daughter, finally" and his voice seemed familiar, like a long lost dream or memory, and I wondered if it was true that what a baby hears in the womb it recongizes later. When we finally pulled back, happy tears were falling from both our eyes, mine slightly purple, his pink. I laughed, so that's where that trait came from. He grinned at my laughter. He was about to say something when a rumble was heard from the ocean behind us. He looked back in fear and quickly turned back to me.
"You have to help them, they are slowly dying down there, my clan won't listen, your the only one that can help now, Kali, I know your broken, but your strong, I know you can do it." I wondered briefly how he knew all this, but then remembered stories my mom told me of how they are able to see out of every body of water threw this window things under the ocean. I felt better knowing he was closer then I thought. The noise was getting louder and I could feel myself start to wake up. "...Good-bye...Dad..." I whispered as I faded from the dream and came back to reality.

~~out of dream~~

I woke up in a lot better mood then what I had fallen asleep in. I finally knew what my father looked like, but then I remembered what he said. I resigned to train and got up. I looked around the room, just now taking in what it looked like. It was a deep sea green with a black border. It had a cot-like bed and a dresser, with a mirror hanging next to it. I located my stuff and I put on another wifebeater, this one grey, and some black sweatpants. I put my hair up in a high ponytail and quietly slipped out the window. I ran around the forest a few times and then stretched. I started doing some flips and stuff, when I saw Mika appraching me.
"Nyx, are you alright?" I smiled, she had no idea just how alright I was. I did some flips and landed right in front of her. "She gave me a raised eyebrow look and I grinned wider.
"I had a really good dream, and I just feel better this morning, lets go get something to eat." She nodded, showing she accepted this answer but was seriously confused at how fast I switched emotions. We went up to the house. When we went in there was the girl with greenish hair and large red eyes I barely remembered from the night before. I decided to reintroduce myself. "Heylo, I'm Nyx" She looked confused for a minute so I went on to explain. "I know I met you last night, its just that I wasn't really myself and I don't remember your name..." She smiled "I'm Yukina, would you like some breakfast?" I smiled back and nodded, Mika following us into the kitchen.
The site that met my eyes was horrible, Kuwabara and Yusuke were shoving food into their mouths at an alarming rate. I recovered after a minute and decided I was no longer hungry. I glanced at Mika and her face was the same as mine. I nudged her shoulder and motioned that we should go. "Umm Yukina? We're not...hungry...anymore" She looked at us and noticed where our attention was. She nodded understanding and Mika and I turned and ran outside. We both started cracking up for no reason other then the fact that we were finally free hit us, and in this beautiful place. When we finally stopped, I grinned again. "So Mika, I noticed you kinda close to that Kurama guy...is love in the air" I could barely contain my laughter when she blushed. She glanced around like the grass had ears, well little did she know, but that was besides the point. She switched to the language she had taught me and I laughed at how secretive she was being. "Nothing" she hissed at me. I laughed again. "Oh really? Then why all the hush-hush?" She switched back to Japanese "What's going on with you and the Hiei guy?" Oh she was good. I switched back to Swahili, and she had a smug look on her face. "The same thing that's going on with you and Kurama." I knew this would tell her exactly what was going on with me, but saying it would force her to admit her feelings too, and put us in the same boat.
She glared at me. I smiled innocently and I continued "But well you know how my luck works, for the worst, and whoever comes in close contact with me seems to suffer...I'm a jinx and I don't want to hurt anyone else, so..." I trailed off. She sighed "I know...damnit" We sat in silence for a few seconds, then I jumped up. "Well we might as well train, the sooner we get better and my wings grow, we can go and avoid this whole problem" She nodded and then froze. She motioned with her eyes and I nodded, I sensed them watching to. We got up and walked away, pretending nothing had happened, while we tried to force back our giggles. "Think they heard?" Mika asked. "Yes, those snoops, and probably since we were speaking in Swahili they are going to make assumptions...aw crap damn bad luck" I raised my fist and started cursing the sky and Mika started laughing.

"Well lets go train then, unless your busy..." She trailed off with a giggle and I grinned "Let's go" We ran off into the woods, searching for a clearing where we could train, and check to see if my wings were healing any better.

<Hiei>

I watched the short onna ever since we left Koenma's office. Last night she was in a daze and looked like someone who had seen the ghosts of thier pasts. What interests me is that instead of lashing out as it seems every demon does, she turned in on herself, and fought inside her mind. She had awoken kind of early and was running around outside. She was graceful, I would give her that. Her onna friend came and they went inside. I was settling to go back to sleep when they came out of the house again, and started laughing. They stopped a bit from the temple and fell down on the ground laughing. I heard the Siren onna ask what was between the other one and Kurama. She blushed and answered in her own language. Then she asked in Japanese what was between the onna and....me?! That caught my attention and I struggled to hear, but she had switched back to the other language, but she sounded somewhat sad. I would have tried to read her mind, but then it hit me, why do I care? It's not like I have feelings for the onna or anything, those were beneath me.
They began walking away, barely containing their laughter. The quickly dissappeared in the trees, and I looked down from mine to see Kurama leaning against it. I mentally cursed at not sensing him there. He gave me a look that showed he knew more then he should, baka fox. I hnned and silently followed them, hiding my energy. Kurama sighed and followed, and I smirked, he couldn't reprimid me for this if he came. We followed the girls until they came to a clearing with a small pond in it. I was struck by deja-vu, but that was odd since I never came to this part of the forest before. Then it hit me, the dream. What was going on?
My thoughts were interrupted when the onnas talked in the weird language again. The one with white hair looked around while the siren one closed her eyes and tried to sense our energy. A large deer burst through the clearing after she had been trying to sense us for about 10 seconds, startling her out of it. Thankfully she decided that was enough sensing. She shrugged off the large coat that she seemed to wear everywhere, and began twisting around, I guess stretching her back. Then, as if on some silent cue, her wings erupted out of her slightly-larger-then-normal shoulder blades. I bit back a gasp and I sense Kurama having to do the same. As I got over the intial shock I realized her wings were oddly ended at the tips, much too blunt to be natural, and looked as if someone had cut them.
"How bad is it?" The Siren onna asked, apparently she had shut her eyes and avoided looking at her wings.
"well...they look like they grew slightly...." The Siren onna let out a strangled cry and fell to her knees. "Damnit! What kind of sick, pyscho, son-of-a-jackalobe does this?!?" Her only response was silence. "Mika, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to ruin your day, but...I'd like to be alone for a little while" "I understand" and with that she took off. I sensed Kurama slipping away also, but I stayed where I was. The onna was still sitting on the rock, just like the dream, not bothering to pull her wings in. Her silent tears had stopped awhile ago, and now she just sat there, staring into the water as if seeing something that others couldn't. Finally she sighed and stood up. I tensed, wary of what she was going to do next. I noticed that her demeaner had changed, and she seemed to be happier then she was a few minutes ago. She suddenly cast a glance around with a micheivous smile on her face. Without warning she jumped into the pool, which seemed to be deep despite its small surface area. I was shockekd, didn't she say Voliant Siren demons couldn't swim and drowned easily?
I relaxed slightly when she surfaced, her wings spread out behind her, floating lazily on the water, slightly moving to keep her afloat. She tensed up suddenly and looked in my direction. Before I had time to react our eyes met. Damnit, what is happening to me? I don't think I could have looked away. What is it about this onna that gets to me? Just then a frog jumped into the water, startling her and causing her to have to shift her wings quickly to stay up. When she looked back at me she noticed my gaze on her wings. She seemed embarassed and looked about to draw them in. She looked so...complete with them out, and more relaxed. I shoved those thoughts out of my head.
I scowled "I thought Voliant Sirens didn't like water?" She paused, leaving her wings out and looked at me. She rolled her eyes and I growled, the fact that she would look down on me, when I was superior, irked me to no end. "I'm part Finned Siren too, or did you forget that part of the story?" She was mocking me, and it just fueled my anger. I felt the need to hurt her pride, as she was attacking mine. "What happened to your wings? Where you too weak to fight him off?" When she heard what I said, I could tell I hit home. She made her way over to the edge of the pool, and slowly began walking out. Her wings rose behind her, and water poored off her body. The bakas had poisoned my mind, and I noticed the way her clothes clung to her, showing off her curves. Her eyes never left my face, and I somewhat regretted my words.
"It wasn't my fault, if I didn't he would've killed Mika, you say something about them again, and you will regret it" I smirked "Your emotions make you weak..." "You know what Hiei? someone once said, 'To those that think the world is a comedy. To those that feel, it's a tragedy.' But you, you refuse to even see the stage, perfering to hide behind the curtain of coldness you keep between yourself and everyone. How can you live as only half of yourself? Deny it all you want, emotions are a part of you." She drew in her wings with a snap and began walking back to the temple. Her words rang in my ears, who did this onna think she was?

<Nyx>

I was in a level of pissed off the I had been in only a few times before. I was walking by him and had almost reached the trees, when I felt myself moved quickly, and slammed agianst a trunk, with a katana at my neck. I looked up into Hiei's eyes, and they were filled with venom. 'damnit' I cursed slightly. "Never, and I mean never insult me again onna. You know nothing." I glared up at him "I know a life where you are restrained isn't worth the air you breathe.." I was cut off by his katana pressing softly into my throat. I was pissed that he had bested me so easily so I tried to form my spirit blades. He sensed what I was doing and quickly captured my hands with his free one over my head.
He smirked down at me, thinking he had me. This only fueled my anger, and without warning I opened my mouth and let out a scream that matched the frequency of a dog whistle, and thanked God that I was immune to my own attacks. He winced and tried to fight it, and pressed his katana a little more in my throat, slightly drawing blood. But then he couldn't take it anymore and dropped his sword and me to cover his ears. As soon as I felt myself hit the ground, I took off, and stopped my scream. I just hoped he would be stunned for a few seconds, giving me enough time to return to the temple. I heard a soft rustle in the tree, and I cursed, he wasn't as stunned as I hoped, which meant he was even stronger then I thought. I damned the fact that my mouth had a mind of its own, and increased my speed.
I finally broke out of the woods, no doubt a mere blur to the untrained eye. I felt, if not heard Hiei's fast approach, and the sooner I was around the others the safer I would be. I didn't think he would actually kill me, but I learned the hard way there was a fate worse then death. I sighed in relief when I saw Gankai walking, back from what looked to be training. I stopped dead in my tracks and barely got out a "Hello" before I became aware of eyes boring into my back. Genkai looked at me with those calm eyes before responding. "I would have thought you would put more effort into your training, what with so much riding on it" I felt a flush coming to my cheeks, along with anger at being told what to do. "I had some things I had to do, now if you'll excuse..." She cut me off "Be out and ready to train tomorrow by 7" She walked away and I was too surprised and pissed to reply. I heard snickering coming from a bush, and discovered that it was Yusuke. I growled at him, which caused him to try to stifle his laughter.
"You, my dear friend, have just gotten what is known as grandma burn" I raised my brow "You sound as if you know from a lot of experience" He stopped laughing finally and glared up at me. Out of nowhere we both started laughing. I helped him up and we started walking back to the temple. We chatted about this and that and before we relized it we were at the table. I smiled at him "Thanks Yusuke, I needed light-hearted converstation." He looked embarassed at me calling him out on being soft "Well just don't expect me to go easy on you tomorrow at training"
"What?" "Well yea, didn't you know? You're supposed to train with us tomorrow, you and Mika. Me for hand combat, Kuwarbara on spirit junk, and I think you're going with Hiei for weapons combat and Mika is going to Kurama" I felt my face drain of all color after that. "What?" "Hiei is going to kill me..." "Naw he won't, just don't make him mad, you haven't have you?" If it was possible my face lost even more of its color, and slowly I nodded. Yusuke whistled softly under his breathe, "Well, its been nice knowing you" I glared at him and and he thought it was a good time to leave.
Great now I had this wonderful time to look forward to tomorrow, I went inside, not wanting to linger where I felt the eyes watching me in the dark.

<Mika> (Tad back in the past, you know the drill)

It had been a good day up until we checked Nyx's wings. They weren't any better and I felt bad for my friend, she had been threw enough. I came to understand that since she was a mix of Siren demons, they treated her as if she was beneath them, and clipped wings would only add to that feeling she was surely fighting. I was so involved with my thoughts that I failed to sense someone in front of me and walked right into a figure. I looked up, startled. I felt a small blush rush to my cheeks when I saw who I had run into. It was Kurama. "Sorry" I mumbled out before I started to walk around him. I stopped when I felt a hand on my arm, and I looked up, my brown eyes meeting dazzling emerald ones.
"Is something wrong?" Hmm, let me think about this, my sister/best friend is in emotional turmoil, due to your boss, her wings are clipped, neiter of us have a family, mine's dead, her's is at the bottom of the ocean, we have to stay here to train when we are falling for demons we just met, who can't possibly feel the same. Oh yea, I'm peachy. "No, I was just thinking...on..my way to..umm..train..yea train." I smiled what I hoped was encouraginly.
I could tell he was not convinced but didn't press the issue. I began to walk again, I felt unsure around him. I could feel his eyes watching me as I walked away, and I became self-conscious. Damnit, what is going on? I freakin worked in that damn bar so long, I should be used to guys watching me walk by, why is it so different with this one?
I think it was because he seemed to actually care. The other guys that asked, always thought the answer to my problems would be to go to bed with him, but this one seemed to want to listen and help, why was just beyond me. I turned and looked at him, all the emotions and questions swirling in my eyes. "Do you really care?" "Yes" "Why" I don't know what he was expecting, but I don't think it was that.

<Kurama>

I had to get far enough away so that Nyx and Mika wouldn't suspect that I had seen or heard their conversation. I stationed myself against a tree, towards the begining of the path, knowing that they would have to come back this way. As luck would have it Mika was walking down it, alone. She looked to have a lot on her mind, and worried. I asked if something was wrong, but she just answered that it wasn't and she was going to train. I could tell it was a lie. I decided not to press too hard, until she started walking away. It was almost like I felt her pain, and I wondered why. I had no connections to her, we had just met. She turned around and I saw all the sadness, pain, and questions residing in those brown and gold irises. She asked if I really cared, and automatically I said yes. When she asked why I had to think. Why do I care?
I took my time to answer. I couldn't very well say because I sense something different about you, something I don't even know myself, I would just sound creepy. "Well we are friends and friends listen to eachother..." Man that sounded lame, even in my head. She gave me a look that cleary mirrored my own thoughts. "Who says we're friends?" I looked up shocked, only to meet her laughing eyes, struggling to keep a straight face. Yoko was laughing inside my head, and I was somewhat startled that she could switch emotions like that. She took pity at the confused expression on my face, and asked if I would show her around the temple. I smiled and complied. We walked around chatting for about an hour, before she yawned (day went fast) and I showed her to her room.
After saying good night I walked into the living room to find Hiei glaring at the window, with Yusuke and Kuwabara playing video games. I walked over to Hiei. "Your energy is higher then normal" It was the type of statement that demanded a reply, and after a few moments I recieved it. That damn onna, she thinks she knows everything" I tried to hide a smile. Sounds like Hiei might have met his match. He growled and glared at me and I just backed away with my hands up. I decided it was time to go to sleep, if Hiei's attitude was any notion, and Nyx could get under his skin like that, tomorrow was going to turn out to be an interesting day.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sorry it took so long, I freakin get ideas, they flash brillantly like lightning, and they are gone just a fast, and then my head jumps ahead...but back to the point, sorry for the lameness.