Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Strange New Case ❯ Guess Who's Back ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Chapter 4
Guess who’s back

Disclaimer: I don’t own Yu Yu Yakusho. I know the chapter before was short but I wanted to hurry up and get to this chapter.

The sun welcomed the sleeping travelers. Michael opened his sleepy eyes and glanced around. Everyone was sleeping. He was always awake first. He got up from his comfy spot next to Steven in a tree. Michael felt so much safer in a tree. He sat on the end of the branch where cherry blossoms were blooming. He watched the sun rise from the night.
“May I join you?” A voice above asked. Michael glanced up and Hiei was looking down.
“Go ahead.” Michael answered.
“I have a question for you. How did you really get that cut across your nose?” Hiei asked.
“I told you, I got it from those humans.” Michael insisted.
“I don’t think so. The cut seemed too small and neat for such a big human to cause. Tell the truth.”
Michael sighed. “Promise you won’t tell anybody especially Arwen.”
“I promise.”
“Lately I’ve been having these dreams where I get hurt by breaking an arm or a black eye and when I wake up, I have them. It doesn’t hurt in my dreams but when I wake up, the pain is unbearable.
“Is there something in common about the dreams except the fact that when you get hurt, you wake up with them?”
“There is always a dark figure with no face. It’s always the one causing the wounds.” Michael explained.
“Interesting.” Hiei muttered.
“Now you promised you wouldn’t tell anybody. I wouldn’t want to make the others worry.” Michael reminded.
“All right.” Hiei remarked absent-minded. He was too busy thinking about the information Michael just told him. Maybe his dreams have to do something with the demons after him or maybe Michael is hurting himself in his sleep. Hiei pondered this even when everybody woke up and ate. Hiei didn’t tell anybody like he promised but it kept picking at his brain. Michael said something about a dark figure with no face. Could that represent a demon? Maybe a demon is inside of Michael, causing him to have these dreams.
“What are you thinking about?” Meagan asked cheerfully.
“Oh, uh, I was just thinking about...what to do now.” Hiei covered up.
“ I don’t know about you guys but we’re going to the nearest village to sleep in a
normal bed.” Justin explained.
“What a coincidence. We’re also going to the nearest village.” Yusuke lied. “I guess it would be easier for us to come with you guys.”
“I don’t object to that. Do any of you guys?” Meagan asked.
“I do.” Everybody glanced at Arwen that was leaning silently against the tree. “There’s something strange about Hiei.” Arwen accused.
“You’re just upset that Hiei beat you up.” Justin snickered.
“No, I just don’t trust him.” Arwen covered up. She was angry at that boy. He’s so short and yet he was able to beat Arwen. She was unbeatable except for one time but that was a special case. This wasn’t fair. She demanded a rematch but held her tongue.
“Any objection besides Arwen? Good, all right, let’s go.” Meagan cheered. They all started walking at a slow pace through the forest.
“These guys are from Earth too.” Michael remarked.
“Really, what part?” Rebecca asked.
“We’re from Japan.”
“We’re from America.”
The people from Earth talked about stuff on their planet while Michael and Arwen talked in the back.
“You know, if anything is bothering you, you can tell me.” Arwen assured.
“I know.” Michael sighed.
“Talk to me.” Arwen insisted.
“All right. Let’s talk.”
The groups talked and walked like they were old friends. They came to a beautiful meadow with wildflowers of different colors and shapes. Butterflies fluttered from one flower to another. It was around noon and everyone was starving.
“Let’s have lunch right here.” Meagan suggested. Everyone agreed. The girls picked berries with Kurama and the boys sat around and talked. Michael and Steven played in the flowers like little boys, chasing butterflies and playing hide-and-seek.
“Justin, what can you tell us about Michael?” Hiei asked Justin. He was polishing his sword.
“He’s annoying as hell.” Justin described.
“Anything else? Any special power? Anything special about him?”
“Besides the fact that he’s three inches tall? Nope, can’t think of anything. Why do you care?” Justin asked.
“We just thought it was strange that those humans wanted Michael.”
“Oh that.” Justin remarked. The others leaned closer. They were going to learn why Michael is wanted by demons. “Light elves’ blood can cure sickness and are worth a lot of money.” The boys sighed. That couldn’t be why all the demons want Michael. They could have any other light elf, not just Michael.
Before the boys could as another question, an scream caught there attention. They rushed over towards the direction of the scream. Steven was laying on the ground, his face was deeply scratched and bleeding. His glasses was cracked.
“Let me go!” A voice called out above them. The boys glanced up and a small, green bird was carrying a kicking and screaming Michael in its little claws.
“Stop fidgeting.” The bird ordered.
Arwen came out of nowhere and ran after the bird. She leaped up as high as she could but she was just out of reach so she did the only thing she could think of. She took the smallest knife the size of a toothpick but it was the most poisonous knife she owned. Arwen, in blind rage threw the tiny knife at the bird, hopefully killing it. She barely missed. The bird cackled as if flew away.
Arwen fell to her knees. She failed Michael. She promised him to protect him. Her mind flashed back to the time when she and Michael became friends. She was badly wounded and Michael nursed her back to health despite the fact that Arwen was trying to kill him. That promise that she made to him echoed in her mind.
“Since I saved your life, you owe me. I want you to promise to protect me from everything.” Arwen smiled. She stood up and clenched her fist. She wasn’t going to fail now. She walked back where everyone was caring for Steven. His whole left cheek was gashed out and his right eye was lightly scratched. A part of his tail was hanging on by a threat and his stomach was bleeding massively. That bird did a number on Steven. Meagan used up all her Band-Aids so she had to rip some of her dress into shreds.
“Stupid cat. Getting beat up by a bird. If it weren’t for him, we would have caught that bird and saved Michael.” Hiei blamed.
“How dare you.” Steven slowly lifted his head and glared at Hiei. “I didn’t want to hurt Michael.”
“Pathetic creature, making excuses.”
“Look who’s talking. At least I tried which is more than you can say. You didn’t even realize that Michael was kidnapped and you just stood there and watched Michael get capture. I’m not the pathetic creature, you are.”
“Stop it, Steven.” Meagan tried to stop the argument but failed.
“Let him argue. It’s his own damn fault if he dies.” Hiei remarked.
“SHUT UP!” Steven screamed. He stopped and collapsed when the pain became too unbearable.
“It was nobody’s fault so stop arguing.” Yusuke commanded.
“Yusuke is right. The important thing right now is to save Michael.” Kurama reminded.
“How are we going to do that? We lost the bird.” Justin asked.
“We know that the bird went in that direction.” Kurama pointed. “So it makes sense to go that way.”
“What do we do with Steven?” Meagan asked. Steven was now asleep in her arms.
“Let’s bring him along. Just in case.” Kurama answered.
Meanwhile...
Michael gave up trying to fight the lime green parrot. The more he struggled, the more the bird dug her talons into his shoulders.
“Where are you taking me?” Michael asked.
“To my master.” The bird answered.
“What does your master want with me?”
“It’s not what my master wants from you, it’s what you can do for my master.”
“What does he want me to do?” Michael asked.
“You’ll see.” She answered.
The bird flew towards a castle window. She entered and released her grip on Michael. Michael rolled along a wooden table. Before he could stand up, a clear glass jar boxed him in. Michael banged on the glass in hopes of breaking it.
“Stop it, you silly boy.” A voice behind him said. Michael whirled around and faced a man with blond hair and two blood red bangs that looked like antennas.
“What do you want with me?” Michael demanded.
“I want what’s around your neck.” The man simply answered.
Meanwhile...
The group started marching towards the direction where Michael was being carried off to. Everyone was in a grumpy or sad mood. Nobody felt like talking. They just shuffled their feet until they came to a huge castle. It was small at the bottom but got larger at the top, like an upside-down pyramid.
“I’m guessing this is where Michael is being held.” Yusuke remarked.
They entered the castle without a single fear in their heads. Steven was well enough to walk around but not to fight. They hiked through the empty corridors. They had no idea where they were going. Soon they came upon two paths.
“Now what?” Kuwabara asked.
“Let’s split up. Kuwabara, Rebecca, Meagan, Steven, and Kurama go on the right and Hiei, Justin, Arwen, and I will go to the left.” Yusuke suggested. The others nodded in agreement and separated.
Yusuke’s group hiked up numerous flights of stairs until they came upon the highest floor with rows of doors. Yusuke and the others were about to open the first door when a scream brought them to the last door. Justin drew his sword, Arwen mimicked. Yusuke threw open the door and the man had his back to the group.
“Suzaku!” Hiei said in complete shock. Yusuke was the first to recover and attack.
“SPIRIT GUN!” Yusuke shouted as he fired his spirit energy at Suzaku’s behind. Suzaku knew the attack was coming so he simply took a step to the side. Yusuke wouldn’t have minded if he had missed Suzaku but he would have minded if he shot Michael and that is what he did. Michael was able to lift his head up just enough to see the blinding blue light heading towards him. Michael immediately blacked out and flew across the room upon impact.
“Thank you, Yusuke for taking care of my business.” Suzaku snickered.
“I killed him.” Yusuke said in total shock.
“Despite the fact that you helped me, I’m still going to kill you.” Suzaku said.
“Not if I can help it.” Justin remarked. He dashed towards Suzaku, sword raised.
“Justin, stop.” Yusuke commanded. Justin didn’t listen. He leaped into the air to strike Suzaku’s head. Suzaku smirked. He pulled back his arm and used his arm like an arrow. Electricity flowed through his arms.
“STORM OF TORMENT!” Suzaku screamed as he fired his electric arrow at Justin. He screamed at the run of electricity running through his body. His whole body shook, uncontrollably. There was no way to break out of the pain. Justin crashed into the wall, breaking off a large piece of stone. Justin laid there, motionless of a minute or so. His eyes slowly flickered open and forced his body up.
“Impressive, you were able to survive, but I can assure you that you won’t survive this. STORM OF TORMENT!” Suzaku screamed as once again he attack. Instead of standing there, Justin leaped out of the way. Like magic, the arrow turned from going straight to heading towards Justin. He tried to run away but the lighting followed him. The arrow shot through him like a blade in the back. Justin screamed as a repeat of before continued. The attack finally halted and Justin felt too weak to go on.
“Stay down, Justin.” Yusuke thought to himself. “Just stay down.”
How did that hit him? Arrows can’t turn. Justin thought. He fingered the hilt of his sword. Of course! Metal is attracted to electricity. He can’t abandon his sword, it’s like a part of him. If he doesn’t use his sword, then he has no weapons and he can’t attack with his body. That’s just another way to electrocute him. He can just pretend to be dead but Justin wanted to fight. He hated being on the sidelines.
Justin struggled to open his eyes. He spied the dead Michael only a few feet away from him. An idea struck him. Justin struggled to crawl to Michael. When he got there, Michael was no doubt, dead. Justin lifted the lifeless body of Michael and struggled to stand up. He swayed from side to side.
“Hey, Suzaku.” Justin called. Suzaku whirled around and faced Justin. “Is that the best you can do? It was only a spark.”
“Don’t be stupid, Justin.” Hiei ordered.
“That wasn’t good enough for you. Then try this.” Suzaku repeated the same attack. Justin held up Michael to take the attack. The same pain still ran through his body, except it was more unbearable. The force send Justin flying into the back wall. Justin didn’t care about his body abuse. He checked Michael for a heartbeat. Still nothing.
“What is he doing?” Yusuke questioned.
“Isn’t it obvious?” Hiei remarked. “He’s trying to revive Michael by Suzaku’s electric attack.”
Justin barely could stand up. “Come on, I know you’re holding back.” Justin was able to grin. He didn’t care if this next attack will kill him. If this freak wants Michael dead, then Justin’s not going to let it happen. Suzaku tried to kill Justin again with a heavier attack. Justin flew into another wall. Justin checked once more if he could hear Michael’s heart. It was very faint but Justin could hear it. Justin was able to make a weak smile.
“You just won’t die. I guess I just got to do a harder attack.” Suzaku smiled. Justin thought his vision was being blurred because he thought he saw seven Suzakus.
“This is called the prism of seven.” One of the Suzakus explained. Justin stood up, still holding on the unconscious Michael. “And this attack is called the prism storm of torment.” Suzaku explained in union. Each of the Suzakus fired a lighting arrow at Justin. He did the only thing he could think of. He tossed Michael towards the others and tried to block the attack. The arrows went right through his arms and pierced his body. An indescribable pain shot through Justin. It was so unbearable, that he couldn’t even scream.
The blow sent Justin out of a glass window down to the earth. Justin, half conscious stared, unaware that he was being hurled to the ground at a fast pace. The pain was still running through his body but darkness crept on him. Justin knew that this is how it feels to die. His whole body numb and the pain and the memories just wash away. His mind flashed to his first kiss to a girl in kindergarten. His brain showed him pictures and places he has been and showed all of his emotions. Rebecca was the last picture that flashed through his mind before he hit the ground. That angel of his. Beautiful but deadly. She was the only girl that he ever loved and now he was going to die. Justin had no regrets except saying good-bye to his only love.
Rebecca was just running though the castle with the others when she spied something fall from the window a few stories above her. She rushed to the window she just passed as the figure fell into the sparkling lake behind the castle. She couldn’t tell who it was until she spied Justin’s bright blond bangs. She jumped out of the window to save her love but Kuwabara stopped her and held her back.
“Let me go, I got to save Justin.” Rebecca shrieked as Kuwabara struggled to hall her away from the window.
“First Michael, then Justin. He’ll be fine.” Kurama assured. How wrong he was. Rebecca felt assured.
“They probably found the kidnapper.” Meagan pointed out.
“Yes, Michael is probably in a different room.” Kurama suggested.
“Then let’s keep going.” Kuwabara ordered as he lead his group.
The icily cold water awoke Justin from his near death. He thought he was going to die on impact but the lake was there. Now he had to survive. Before, he had no chance of living but the heavens must of smiled upon him. Justin drifted to the bottom of the lake. He ordered his body to swim but his body refused. He was running out of oxygen but he couldn’t just let himself die. His mind screamed for his body to work but it just refused.
One of the Suzaku stared at the lake while the other ones fought with the heroes. Justin’s body didn’t float up to the surface yet. This boy won’t die. Suzaku didn’t know whether to just leave it alone and get back to the fight or go down there and check. He was just going to make certain that stupid boy is dead.
“Die, boy, die.” Suzaku whispered as he shot a lighting arrow into the lake.
Justin’s body was writhing in pain. He tried to scream but couldn’t make a sound. Bubbles floated to the surface and stopped. Justin couldn’t take the pain and collapsed into his watery grave.
Michael was awake and witnessed the whole thing. His rage was boiling. Justin didn’t deserve that. He saved Michael’s life, time to fight back. He tried to think of a attack then he spied Suzaku’s tentacles. That would hurt if pulled. Michael flew up and snatched one of Suzaku’s tentacles and gave it a hard tug and bit into it as hard as he could. Suzaku tried to swat the annoying boy away but Michael easily dodged. Out of nowhere, the bird that stole Michael away, swoop down and smacked Michael away from her master.
“Good job, now kill him.” Suzaku ordered. The bird swoop down and attacked Michael in the skull. His hat was knocked off and blood started flowing out of the side of his skull.
“You’re going to die, you’re going to die.” The bird giggled. She swoop down and attacked his face. Michael barley dodged. This would be a lot easier if he was just a little taller. That bird was like an giant dragon to Michael. He still didn’t give up.
“Not quite.” Michael grinned. He stood up and the bird attacked again but before she could lay her claws on him, Michael fought with a lethal attack of his own. He held out his hands as if he was waiting for something. Suddenly, his hands burst into flames and before the bird could back away, Michael chucked his fireballs at the bird and she exploded into flames.
Michael wanted to watch the bird die but he had to save Justin. He flew out of the window and did a graceful swan dive into the water. After a long wait and a small splashed, Michael dived into the water. He swam around until he felt a piece of clothing. Praying that this was Justin, Michael swam to the surface. Justin was easier to drag along underwater. Michael popped out of the water and dragged Justin up and dog paddled to the shore.
Justin was unconscious and limp. Michael heard his heart beat faintly but he wasn’t breathing.
Oh no, I can’t do mouth to mouth resesitation, Michael thought. There was only one thing he could do at this point. As hard as he could, Michael jumped on Justin’s stomach. Justin splurged out gobs of water from his lungs. He was still unconscious but he was now breathing. Michael relaxed and glanced at the top floor. He thought about joining the fight but he would just get in the way like usual.
Arwen, Hiei, and Yusuke were cornered by the seven Suzakus. They saved Michael so that was a relief but they couldn’t quit yet.
“SPIRIT GUN!” Yusuke screamed as he tried to shoot down a Suzaku. He easily dodged.
“We have to kill them all at the same time, we can’t leave one alive or else they’re all come back.” Hiei ordered.
“That’s impossible.” Arwen remarked.
“I did it before by myself, this should be a lot easier with you guys.” Yusuke remarked.
“If you did it before, how come they’re back?” Arwen asked.
“This is no time to be arguing. We got to get rid of them.” Hiei remarked.
Arwen reached into her cloak and pulled out two knives, one in each hand. The Suzakus cackled at the thought of being beaten by two knives. Arwen flicked her wrist and seven appeared in each hand. The Suzakus stopped laughing but they weren’t going to be beat by a bunch of knives. Arwen pitched her deadly blades at the Suzakus. They all leaped up in the air with little effort. This was child’s play but Arwen was the one grinning. She only made the motion of throwing her daggers. In lighting speed before the Suzakus realized her plan, Arwen launched her rain of knives at the Suzakus in the air. All of the knives hit one target. Four fell dead, with numerous knives in their chest or head. The remaining Suzakus stared at their dead comrades. That was accomplished by knives? They were surprised and caught off guard.
“SPIRIT GUN!” Yusuke shrieked as another one fell to the floor dead. Hiei attacked with super speed and sliced another one. Yusuke shot the last one through the heart. The last Suzaku dropped to the floor.
“Let’s get out of here and find the others.” Hiei ordered, putting away his katana.
Arwen grabbed a knife from an assumed dead Suzaku. He used the last of his strength to shoot Arwen. Her body rammed against a column holding up the building. It started to crumble and fall on the unconscious Arwen. Yusuke ran to try to save her but he wasn’t fast enough. Hiei was. He sped towards Arwen as fast as he could. He grabbed her right before the rock fell onto her. The whole building started shaking and falling apart.
“We got to get out of here.” Yusuke shouted over the falling ruble.
“We won’t get very far with her knocked out.” Hiei remarked, referring to Arwen who was resting on Hiei’s shoulder. Yusuke agreed but they couldn’t stay here. Hiei spied something that will help them escape.
“Do you know how to swim?” Hiei asked Yusuke.
“Yes.”
“Good.” Hiei leaped out of the nearby window. Yusuke gasped and rushed towards the window where Hiei was clinging to Arwen as they splashed into the lake below. Yusuke gulped and took a gulp of air and jumped out of the window.
“I think the others beat the kidnapper.” Kurama remarked as he felt the castle tremble.
“Let’s get out of here.” Kuwabara ordered.
“What about the others?” Meagan asked.
“They’ll come out alive, I’m sure of it.” Kurama assured her.
“Hurry up.” Rebecca commanded.
The group fled the castle through the way they came in and watched at the castle crumble without a sign of the others.
“JUSTIN!” Rebecca called. There was no answer. She was near tears. “JUSTIN!” She called again. There was no answer. She fell to her knees and cried. Her love had to be alive, just had to. She cried, calling out his name repeatedly but each time she didn’t get an answer. She only prayed that he was alive. Meagan cried silent tears. All of her friends that she met just died. Kurama noticed her crying.
“Don’t cry, they’re not dead.” Kurama assured.
“They’re not?” Meagan sniffled.
“Yes, I can feel it.” Kurama was half lying. He did feel Michael’s, Hiei’s, Justin’s and Yusuke’s spirit energy but not Arwen’s but he didn’t tell them that. “I’m sure they’re just waiting for us nearby.
“Even Justin?” Rebecca asked with hopeful tears.
“I assure you, they’re all fine.” Kurama reassured the girls.
“If they’re fine, let’s go look for them.” Kuwabara remarked.