Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Suicide ❯ Chapter 3

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Suicide

by Rose Thorne

~Standard Disclaimers Apply~

Chapter Three
Hiei woke and sat up as the door opened again. Kurama, Kuwabara, Yuusuke, and Yukina filed in. They didn't close the door behind them. Hiei briefly wondered why. Aren't they afraid that I'll leave? His eyes widened slightly as Koenma stepped in, closing the door behind him. Koenma stared at the fire demon for several minutes. Hiei looked at the others, who had fixed their gazes on other parts of the room. What the hell is going on?!

Koenma cleared his throat. "You know, Hiei, none of us expected this to happen. Even your file didn't mention anything like this. If you'd managed to succeed, you would've been a case like Yuusuke."

The fire demon scowled, laying back down. "No. I wouldn't be a case like Yuusuke." Koenma shot him a curious look and Hiei clarified with a self-depreciating smirk. "I wouldn't've chosen to come back."

Yuusuke looked up, his eyes angry. "I said the same thing at first." Hiei shrugged.

Koenma sighed. "I'll get to the point, Hiei. You can't die yet. Period. You're important, and if you die now there will be problems."

Hiei frowned at the ceiling for a while. What the hell is he talking about, important? Problems . . . With the three worlds probably. That means that my next life would probably suck just as badly as this one has . . . Dammit . . . Finally, he sighed, feeling even more depressed than he had before. "Go away." He presented them with his back.

The next time he turned around, he was alone and the door was closed. He curled into a ball around his pillow. Fuck . . . Why can't I ever do anything I want to do?! The Forbidden Child buried his face in his pillow and--for the first time in centuries--cried.

* * *

Yuusuke sat down on the floor hard. "What're we going to do with him?"

Koenma frowned. "Nothing. He won't do anything now."

Kurama sighed, leaning against a doorframe. "Maybe, maybe not. He didn't promise not to do anything. And he still needs something to make him want to live. He won't do something he doesn't want to just because of the Reikai. If we don't give him something to do to get his mind off death, he may decide that he doesn't care about Reikai problems. You didn't even tell him why he was important or what problems his death would cause. That's not good enough, Koenma. You should know that."

Koenma sighed. "You're right." He sat down across from Yuusuke. "I don't know what we can do though . . ."

Yuusuke snorted. "And you think I do?! Dammit, Koenma! I don't even know if I can look at him anymore!"

"A-anou . . ." Yukina stepped forward meekly. "Couldn't you have him live as a human? Go to the ningen school like you do?"

Kurama blinked. "That's an idea . . . But how would we pull it off?"

Kuwabara cleared his throat. "I think if two of us could watch him, it would be better. So if we decide to go with that, it should be Sarasaki High."

Kurama nodded. "I agree with that."

Yuusuke leaned back on his elbows. "But how do we keep him from leaving or hurting himself? It would only take a second and either could happen."

Genkai entered from where she had been standing in the doorway. "Create a ward circle around both Yuusuke and Kuwabara of a radius of about a hundred yards, designed to knock Hiei out if he tries to leave it. Also put a ward on him to prevent him from harming himself. And warding his Jagan would be a wise decision as well."

Koenma nodded. "It would be best to ward his Jagan first. I don't have to use an actual ward strip."

"Aa. Hold on a second." The redhead closed his eyes and Felt. "He's asleep . . ."

Koenma nodded. "It should be easy then." He left the room and silence fell until his return a few minutes later. "He didn't even stir . . . While I was in there I also set up the other ward." Koenma sat down and quickly set up a barrier around Yuusuke and another around Kuwabara. "There. It's all taken care of."

Kurama shook his head. "Not yet. Where is Hiei going to stay?"

Kuwabara and Yuusuke exchanged a look and Yuusuke nodded. "With me. My mom wouldn't even notice."

The redhead nodded. "What about school fees, a family name, and ningen clothing?"

Koenma spoke up. "I'll send the money tomorrow and we'll register him as Yuusuke's cousin. Kurama, I'll give you the money for his clothing. A family name . . ."

"Urameshi," Yuusuke stated. "No one will mess with him if he uses that as a family name. I'll register him as Urameshi Hiei."

The others nodded and silence fell. Finally, Kurama sighed. "Hiei's not going to like this at all . . ."

"There's no other choice. Hiei made sure of that." Yuusuke laid back on the floor.

Koenma nodded. "At least this way he'll be around when . . ." The demi-god stopped.

Kuwabara looked at Koenma. "When what?"

The godling coughed discreetly and headed for the door. "Classified. You'll find out when it's time." He left them with their confusion and wonderings.

Yuusuke cursed angrily. "Dammit! I wish we could do something!!"

Kurama sighed. "We all do Yuusuke . . . We all do."

Writing bug bit again. It usually does when I'm sleep deprived. I made Hiei cry. Not a new thing, but I actually felt really bad about it this time . . .