Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Suicide ❯ Chapter Four ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Suicide

by Rose Thorne

~Standard Disclaimers Apply~


Chapter Four
Hiei resisted the pull of wakefulness, not relishing the thought of what the others were going to do with him. I wonder what they have planned . . . There was no way they were going to leave him alone; that much was perfectly clear. Busybodies . . . I wish they'd leave me alone . . . The youkai had dreamed the night before of something strange . . . Something he couldn't remember . . . I've been able to remember every dream after waking since I got the Jagan . . . I wonder what this means . . . Hiei nearly jumped as his thoughts were interrupted by Yuusuke's voice.

"I know you're awake, Hiei. Stop feigning sleep."

I should have felt him there! Hiei chided himself for getting soft as he opened his eyes. "What the hell do you want?" he muttered, annoyed.

"Aren't we cranky today?" Hiei glowered at the youth. Yuusuke just grinned, shoving a large paper bag at the fire demon. "Get dressed. We have stuff to do."

The ningen headed toward the door, apparently expecting Hiei to obey. Hiei scowled. "Fuck off. I'm not doing anything."

Yuusuke turned quickly, all traces of the former grin gone from his features. In fact, he looked angry and determined. "You'll dress willingly or Kuwabara and I will dress you." At Hiei's outraged glower, Yuusuke turned and headed toward the door. "I thought so. I'll be back in five minutes." The bag hit the door as the ningen closed it behind him, and he smirked as he heard a stream of resigned curses. At least he still has his pride . . .

* * *
"You're what??" Hiei gaped at Yuusuke, pulling at his new jeans absentmindedly.

"We're enrolling you in high school." Yuusuke somehow managed to keep his face innocent of humor, despite the interesting picture staring at him. Hiei was gaping at him in total shock, wearing the new clothes that Kurama had bought with the ningen money Koenma had given him. The black jeans were slightly baggy on Hiei's lean form, and the blue button-up shirt seemed a bit too big, but the clothes seemed to fit Hiei in an entirely different way. "Kuwabara and I are taking you to Sarasaki High and enrolling you as-" Yuusuke paused for dramatic effect "-Urameshi Hiei."

"What?!" Hiei's eyes widened to an impossible size. Please let him be joking . . .

"Yup. You're my adopted cousin from overseas." Yuusuke grinned. "Even better, you get to stay with me.

"You're joking," Hiei said softly. Yuusuke shook his head, a sickening grin plastered on his face. The fire demon let out a stream of curses, most of which were not in Japanese.

Yuusuke smirked. "I'm quite sure that my ancestors didn't like goats that much."

Hiei glared. "You can't force me!"

Yuusuke immediately became totally serious, startling Hiei. "That's where you're wrong."

The youkai got an uneasy feeling in the pit of his stomach. "What do you mean . . .?" He wasn't sure he wanted to know . . .

"Koenma took some precautions to ensure that you don't fight us much. At least, not beyond what we can handle."

Hiei paled as he realized what Yuusuke meant, removing the ward from his Jagan. The third eye remained closed. "What did you do to me?!" The sanjiyan looked panicked.

"Koenma warded you. He bound you against harming yourself, and he set up a one hundred yard parameter around Kuwabara and I. If you violate either, you'll pass out. He warded your Jagan so you wouldn't be able to break the bindings."

No wonder I couldn't remember the dream . . . or sense Yuusuke . . . I use the Jagan for sensing ki mostly . . . Hiei stared at him, then hugged his knees to his chest. "I hate you. I hate all of you." Damn it. They already got their stupid point across. Why can't they leave me the hell alone now? I can understand the binding, and even the ward on my Jagan . . . but why are they doing everything else??

"I'm sorry to hear that. Let's go." The youkai glared at Yuusuke defiantly. Yuusuke raised his eyebrows. "You want me to get Kuwabara to carry you?"

I have no control over any of this . . . None at all . . . They can force me to do anything, and my resistance is futile. Just like . . . before . . . He forced the memories away. "Bastard," Hiei muttered, getting to his feet.

"Behave." The fire demon shot Yuusuke a disgusted look, which the ningen ignored. "You're going to stay nice and quiet while I register you."

"And if I don't?" The words were casual. This is the only thing I can do . . . The little control I have over my life now is in rebelling . . . K'so . . .

Yuusuke barely glanced at him. "Considering that you're warded . . . There isn't much you can do. I could always ask Koenma to make you mute if you really want to resist . . ." He probably wouldn't, but Hiei doesn't need to know that. The look on Hiei's face assured him that the sanjiyan would not be calling his bluff, which relieved Yuusuke. I really don't want to fight him. I just have to do what's best for him even if he doesn't like it.

This isn't fair . . . I have absolutely no control anymore. Don't they know that this is going to make me wish for death even more? A small part of his mind whispered back. We already tried to kill ourself. They care, and this is how they're showing it . . . Perhaps there is a purpose in this. Hiei ignored it.

"Come on. Let's go get you registered." Yuusuke's happy-go-lucky expression returned, and Hiei realized that it was more of a mask than an actual expression, just like the ningen's tough-guy look.

"You're full of shit, Yuusuke," Hiei muttered, ignoring the curious glance from Yuusuke. The fire demon stalked past him and outside. "There's no point in me fighting. You took control. I might as well be dead."

Yuusuke followed him, a worried expression on his face. Hiei silently congratulated himself on forcing the mask off the ningen. "What do you mean?"

"That's none of your damned business, ningen." A shocked look crossed Yuusuke's face, and Hiei mused to himself. Irking him should be fun . . . Something that I can control--control that they can't take from me.

But then Yuusuke smiled. "You know, Hiei, someone once told me that people need friends the most when they deserve them the least. It's not going to work, trying to piss me off. I'm your friend and I'm trying to help you. That's not going to stop until you don't need help anymore."

Hiei glowered at him. "I don't want or need friends. Especially not ones that meddle into my affairs and try to control my life." The fire demon crossed his arms. "Help isn't the word I'd use, because this bull shit isn't helping me at all."

Yuusuke frowned. It's not . . . yet. Hopefully it will. We're just trying to give you a new start, Hiei, to try to make up for all the bad shit that's happened in your life so far. The ningen stayed silent though. He'll understand it on his own soon enough. They continued walking in silence toward the school, where Kuwabara was supposed to meet them.

* * *

"Urameshi Yuusuke!"

Yuusuke sighed as he heard the familiar voice of Takenaka. They had just met with Kuwabara. "I'll be right back. Gotta talk to Takenaka . . ." The ningen trotted toward the hefty instructor. "What?"

"Why were you not in school today? You realize the negative impact that has on your grades?"

"There was a family issue. One that I need to discuss with you." The teacher looked surprised. Yuusuke pointed at Hiei. "That's my distant adopted cousin, Hiei. He was adopted when he was a baby. His parents died in a car accident last week while they were on vacation in Paris, and we've taken him in. I wanted to get him enrolled here because he's been suicidal since his parents' deaths, and I need to be able to watch him. Could I do that?"

Takenaka looked toward Hiei, who was ignoring Kuwabara's attempts to talk to him. "The poor boy! Of course you can enroll him here. We'll just have his records transferred from his old school . . ."

Yuusuke grinned sheepishly. "That's the other problem. He's been home schooled his entire life."

"No problem. We'll just have him take some standardized tests to check his placement." Takenaka gave Yuusuke a meaningful glance. "Though, I know some people who wouldn't be placed in their current grade if they took them."

Yuusuke chuckled good-naturedly. "Yeah, but I'm not taking those tests. Hiei is." Damn, I hope Hiei can do decently . . . I don't even know if he can write Japanese . . .

Takenaka smiled. "Let's get him set up taking those tests now, since school just let out. I'll supervise and after the tests we can enroll him."

"Sure," Yuusuke agreed quickly. "Oi, Takenaka?" The man glanced at him. "Please don't mention what I told you to Hiei. He's rather sensitive about it." Hiei would kill me, ward or no ward . . .

Takenaka nodded understandingly. "Of course." Together, they headed toward Kuwabara and Hiei.


Actually, my muse did come back for this fic, so I will be writing more. I know what I'm doing, but I'm not going to write it yet. I'm actually going to write the next chapter to Flux before someone rises up and slays me. *cough* Sorry, a bit too much D&D for me. And the fic shall go on!