Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Surrender to Nothing ❯ Breadsticks and Blood ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Tama: Chapter Six! I think I'm going to try to make these chapters longer. I think they're too short, believe it or not.
 
Nori: Yea, that's what you said about chapter five.
 
Tama: Well, how much further can you go with that topic?!?!
 
Nori: I can think of a few good ways…
 
Tama: Without making it hentai?
 
Nori: … -grins-
 
Tama: -laughs and rolls her eyes- Kurama, will you do the disclaimer? I'll give you a rewaaaaaaaard… *winks*
 
Kurama: -grins- Tama doesn't own YYH or its characters, but she does own all the OCs. -makes Tama live up to her promise-
 
Nori: Dear Kami, get a room!
 
-------------------------------------
 
As much as they tried to avoid it, by the end of breakfast, everyone at the temple knew about what had happened between Kurama and Kita the night before. Kita wasn't sure if Hiei told, if Genkai had spies, or what the hell happened. But somehow, everyone knew that the former kitsunes had made out on the newfound beach on Genkai's property. Normally, Kita wasn't very shy about much, but she had only known these people for three weeks. And now they probably all thought she was a slut without a care in the world. Great.
 
She was quite content to just sit in her room all day and figure out a way to explain all of this to her family back home. She hadn't talked to them since the day Kurama saved her in the woods. She wondered if they had any idea where she was. Did they even care? What if they found out that she was a demon and that her soul belonged to someone else? Would they still love her? She already didn't have a great relationship with her father, but her mom…she would always be there for her…wouldn't she?
 
“Hey, what do you say we go into town this afternoon? You should probably get to know this place. You'll be here for at least a few more months. It would be good for you.” Kurama's voice snapped her out of her thoughts. He smirked. She smiled. She knew immediately that he had other plans as well.
 
“Sure, why not. I mean, it's definitely better than sitting here all day,” she replied. Kurama grinned. He didn't know how she was going to act around him after what had happened between them last night. But she appeared to be just fine. As for him, he was definitely glad that last night happened.
 
“Great. Well, I told Hiei that he and Zanna should come along too. Zanna also needs to get to know the city, and Hiei, well I don't dare let Hiei out of my sight here in Ningenkei, especially when Genkai won't be here,” Kurama explained.
 
“Where's she going?” Kita asked.
 
“Koenma needs her in Reikei for a few days. That's another reason we're postponing your training.”
 
Kita nodded and smiled to herself. From what she had seen of Hiei and Zanna…taking them into an actual human city was going to be interesting…
 
---------------------------------
 
The day went by slowly, so by the time six o'clock came around, Kita was more than ready to go. Kurama and Kita together decided that it would be best to walk because they didn't dare take Hiei in a car in public. Kurama and Yusuke had learned that the hard way. Let's just say that the cops were called, the car ended up at the bottom of the ocean, and there was a severely disturbed hanyou that needed to be controlled while Kurama attempted to deal with insurance. Yusuke still had scars.
 
“I'm hungry,” Zanna complained as they were walking. They were in the city by now and had been walking for about an hour. Zanna and Hiei were up front, so that Kurama could keep an eye on them to make sure they didn't do anything destructive. He had an arm around Kita's waist and Hiei had an arm slung around Zanna's shoulder. As much as the fire and ice demon didn't want to admit it, they all knew that the two were a couple, even though they seemed to hate each other half of the time. “I need food. Now.”
 
“Well, there's a restaurant up here. I guess we can eat there…,” Kurama said hesitantly. Taking demons into a ningen restaurant wasn't the best idea, but it was his only choice at the moment. Besides, maybe everything would be ok.
 
Kurama couldn't have been more wrong.
 
All the waiter said to Hiei was “May I take your order?” and the man's head was on the floor in a matter of seconds. Then, once all the screams of terror had begun, Hiei decided that he didn't really like being screamed at and began to attack the other people in the restaurant. Kurama immediately changed into Youko and tackled the fire demon to the floor, while Kita herded everyone else out of the restaurant. Zanna was too busy woofing down all of the soup and breadsticks that the waiter brought out before his death to notice.
 
Once Hiei had calmed down, they all looked around the room. The floor was covered with blood and at least ten casualties. The tables were all turned upside down, some of the windows were broken, and a tough, muscular body builder was huddled in the corner crying for his mommy and begging them not to hurt him.
 
“Damn, breadsticks and blood is a good combination,” Zanna commented as she ate a breadstick off the floor. The other three stared at her. She looked back, confused.
 
“…what?”
 
~*~*~*~
 
Kurama half fell onto his bed. He just lay there for awhile, wondering how in the hell this night had gotten do bad. All he wanted was to have Kita get to know the city, considering she'd be there for at least 5 more months. He wanted Hiei and Zanna to get along. He wanted things to be peaceful for once. Then again, when things involve a vengeful fire and ice demon looking to destroy anyone that even looks at him funny, it will never be peaceful.
 
Kurama sighed. He should have known. Not to mention, Genkai was going to be downright pissed when she found out what trouble the hanyou had caused while she was gone. She may be old, but everyone knew that it was better not to mess with her.
 
^You wimp, stop worrying about what the old hag is going to say. With my help, we can take her out easily,^ Youko's voice interrupted his thoughts yet again.
 
`Shut it, Youko,' Kurama snapped back. He wasn't really in the mood for the bandit's comments tonight.
 
^You're a disgrace. You know, your life would be so much easier if you would just let me handle all your problems.^
 
`Yea, but if I let you solve all my problems, the world would be an empty and desolate wasteland filled with loneliness, hate, and lots of bloodshed.'
 
^…you say that like it's a bad thing…^
 
Kurama rolled his eyes and smiled. Youko kept his life interesting.
 
Ignoring any other comments the kitsune had, Kurama shut off the lights and went to bed.
 
~*~*~*~
 
Kurama woke up to a bloodcurdling scream coming from somewhere outside of Genkai's temple. He immediately recognized it as Kita's. He realized that the sound was coming from the training grounds, and he dashed off in that direction as fast as he could. He was still in the clothes he wore from last night, which was a pair of jeans and a white t-shirt. He wasn't wearing shoes, but it didn't really matter once he got outside. Once he reached the training grounds, the scene in front of him was all that concerned him.
 
Kita was pinned to a tree by a rather tall fox demon. He had auburn hair, green eyes, and wore black pants and a white wife beater. He had an orange fox tail and orange fox ears. He had his hands on Kita's shoulders and was shaking her violently, causing her to hit her head repeatedly on the tree. Over and over again, he yelled at Ayame that she was a traitor and should've stayed in hell where she belonged.
 
This made Kurama absolutely livid. If it was possible, he probably would've had steam coming out of his ears. He ran over to the demon, grabbed his shoulders, spun him around and punched him as hard as he could in the face. An ordinary human probably would've had their neck snapped by a blow that hard. This demon jumped back and held his cheek where he was hit, but other than a bloody lip, he looked completely unaffected. By this point, Kurama had already changed into Youko. The demon saw the silver fox's rage and simply laughed.
 
“Who the fuck do you think you are?” Youko asked through clenched teeth. Then, shouting, “You bastard!”
 
“Ha! Who do I think I am!?!? Who do you think you are? Training my dead sister's reincarnation to beat my family?” the demon retorted. “What the hell do you think you're getting yourself into, buddy?”
 
“Shut up! I'll ask again, who are you?” Youko was getting really impatient. He had caught Kita when she fell after the demon let her go and lay her down next to the tree. He didn't think she was too seriously injured, but he couldn't be sure until he got rid of this asshole so he could examine her.
 
“Me? I'm Ayame's oldest brother, or, sorry, half-brother, Taro, heir to the Ronin throne. I'm here to finish her off once and for all. She's a bastard child; she should never have been born, let alone reincarnated. She's a threat to us, she needs to be-“
 
“Enough!” Youko shouted at the top of his lungs. It had been awhile since he had been this mad. He sighed. “Look, you and I both know that killing Kit-, er, Ayame, won't do any good now. Her powers haven't matured yet. Kill her now, you're just going to have to do it again in another sixteen years!”
 
Taro considered this. Sure, he had known that killing his little sister before he sixteenth birthday wouldn't help in the long run, but quite honestly, it had kind of slipped his mind once he found out she had been reincarnated. Looking down at his feet, he weighed his options. He could 1) leave and come back to finish her after she turned 16, 2) take her with him and keep her in demon world, or 3) fight Youko just for the hell of it. He looked up at the silver fox and smirked.
 
“Today's your lucky day, thief. I just happen to have better things to do than stay here and kick the shit out of you,” he turned and began to walk away. “Don't worry, I'll be back.” Suddenly, a portal appeared. He stepped through and vanished. Youko breathed a sigh of relief. He let Kurama take over again.
 
As soon as he was back in control, Kurama raced over to Kita. She had passed out long ago. He put his hand behind her head and, sure enough, he felt blood. He gritted his teeth. Oh, he would kill that son of a bitch one day. He picked her up and carried her back to the temple, the whole time silently begging her to be ok.
 
----------------------------------------------
 
When Kita woke up, the first thing she noticed was how much her head was throbbing. It felt as though there were a thousand little leprechauns inside her skull pounding away like crazy on her brain with little hammers. Immediately, she grabbed her head in an effort to make it stop. That's when she felt the bandages. She sat up in her bed. She pulled a hand away and noticed little flakes of dried blood. What the hell had happened?
 
Then she remembered.
 
She had been outside training. She had completed her daily routine of crunches and pushups, and she was about to begin her laps around the temple. She had stopped by a tree so she could grab a drink of water, and before she knew it, she was pinned and was being yelled at and shaken. She remembered her vision getting fuzzy, angry screams, and falling to the ground.
 
That was all she could recall. But then, other images began to flood her mind.
 
“Dear Kami, Ayame, are you ok?” a voice came from behind her. She had both hands on her head. She pulled one away and noticed fresh blood.
 
`I know that voice…,' Kita thought to herself.
 
“Hm? Oh yea, Zan, I'm fine. It's just my head…I didn't think I hit it that hard…,” she replied. A few minutes ago, she had hit her head on the roof of a cave. It had hurt, but she didn't think she had even come close to drawing blood.
 
“Here, let's go back to see your brother, Hitomi, he'll know how to stop the bleeding,” the girl suggested.
 
`That's…that's Zanna's voice!' Kita realized suddenly.
 
`Yea, you're right, let's go,' she decided. She grabbed the belt with her daggers that was sitting next to her and followed her friend back home.
 
Kita sat there, dumbfounded. She knew for a fact she had never hit her head on the roof of a cave before. Actually, she had never even been in a cave in her entire life. She hated being underground. But everything was so real. She recognized Zanna's voice. And Zanna had called her Ayame…
 
Did she really just have her first flashback of the fire fox?
 
Throughout this confusion, she failed to notice that there was another presence in the room besides her own.
 
“Kita, what is it? You look startled,” came Kurama's voice softly. She looked up and sure enough, at the side of her bed, sat the redhead. She was happy to see him, but she was only half paying attention to what he said.
 
“Hm? I'm sorry, what did you say?” she asked, feeling bad for making him repeat himself. He didn't seem at all irritated.
 
“I asked what's wrong. You look like you've just seen a ghost,” he repeated. Kita looked back down at her hand.
 
“I did…in a way,” she said. She looked up at him. “Kurama, I think I just had my first flashback of Ayame.” Kurama's eyes widened. They had been waiting for this day. Now he knew that it would definitely be possible to one day fully draw Ayame out.
 
Kurama had Kita explain everything she saw to him. She explained the daggers, hearing Zanna's voice, and the injury to her head. Kurama listened intently, then came to a realization.
 
“Maybe, in order for you regain Ayame's memory, you have to reenact everything she important that she did. I mean, it's not the ideal situation, but maybe that's the key. Maybe if you redo it all, it'll all come back,” he explained. Kita looked at him and nodded. He was right. It wasn't the best solution, but it had to be done. Even if she chose to back out and go home, Kano wouldn't hesitate to follow her into Ningenkai and kill her there. With Kurama and the others, she actually stood somewhat of a chance.
 
“Well, I should leave you alone so you can get some rest. How bad does your head hurt?” Kurama asked.
 
“A lot,” Kita replied. She explained to him her leprechaun analogy. He cringed. He knew that it was partly his fault that she was in so much pain. If only he could've gotten there sooner…
 
“Hey. Don't worry about it. It's not your fault. I still am not entirely sure what went on out there or who that guy even was, but I know that it wasn't because of you,” she told him softly. She had seen the far away look in his eyes and she knew that he was kicking himself for what happened to her. She smiled softly. “It's ok.”
 
He half smiled. He knew she was right. He kissed her on the forehead, turned and left, closing her door behind him.
 
Kita sighed. She still was utterly clueless on why she was attacked in the first place. What had she done?
 
She knew that she wasn't going to figure that out until she talked to Kurama again. So instead of worrying, she decided to get some much needed sleep in an effort to ignore the pain. She lay back down under the covers and closed her eyes. Her last thought before she drifted off to sleep was of how much Zanna was going to laugh at her for the bandages on her head.
 
---------------------------------------------------------------
 
Tama: Chapter Six, fin!
 
Nori: Good job, yo.
 
Tama: Thank you. Do you guys know that it took me about three months to write this chapter? I started it at the end of January, and today is April 16. I just lost my inspiration. But I found it again! So it's all good!
 
Nori: (sarcastically)…yes, we're all proud…-grins-
 
Tama: -ignores comment- Read and Review please! Hopefully next chapter will be up soon!
 
Nori: No flames!