Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ That Which Remains Unspoken ❯ Chapter I ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

That Which Remains Unspoken:
Chapter 1

Piercing emerald met chocolate brown in that split second of contact, causing sparks to fly and butterfiles to rise in the stomach of the emerald's owner. Electricity perfumed the air and the emerald boy seemed to float on the cloud of sparks. Then, the moment passed and those chocolate brown eyes, which had caused the emerald ones so much emotion, looked away and came to rest upon another. When they alighted upon that figure, they seemed to flare up with an inner warmth, to come alive. And this sent a dagger of icy pain through the chest of the red-haired boy.

Kurama looked away as Yusuke greeted Keiko and stuffed his slightly shaking hands deep into the pockets of his pink school uniform. Determined to maintain his outward appearance of calm, he schooled his face to a mask of neutrality and blinked several times, forcing his eyes to lose all traces of emotion, except for a glimmer of crafty intelligence, which remained
there always, no matter what he did. His posture never differed from its usual perfect grace and his hands calmed as he took a few deep, even breaths. But while he was cool and collected on the outside, an inner emotional battle was waging full-scale.

One part of him was dreamily unaware of anything; focusing only on the fact that Yusuke Urameshi was standing in the same room as him. The other side, however, was mentally screaming for letting himself get so freaked out.

"Stop acting like a silly schoolgirl and get your head out of the clouds!!!" his mind lectured him.

So focused was he on this inner emotional battle that he did not notice the small black form of his best friend, until he stood directly in Kurama's line of vision. "Fox?" came the rough query.

Kurama visibly started and looked down at his best friend. "Oh, hello Hiei," he said in his quiet voice.

"Hn," was all he got as a greeting in reply. "What were you day-dreaming about anyway?"

Kurama's eyes flickered unconciously towards Yusuke before he answered, "Nothing."

But Hiei had notcied the glance and it registered in his eyes as he also glanced over to Yusuke. He turned back to Kurama and stared piercingly into his emerald eyes. Kurama gulped and blinked a few times. Hiei knew. He knew! He knew how much Kurama cared for Yusuke, and he had obviously figured out that it also went beyond just simple friendship. Hiei could sense and root out secrets like these, he could see these things, even without the aide of the Jagan eye. And Kurama now trembled slightly before him as he waited for the sharp, stinging comment that was sure to come.

Hiei opened his mouth to speak and Kurama cringed inwardly. "He's not worth it, fox," Hiei stated, totally surprising Kurama. His intense ruby eyes bored into Kurama's and the corner of the little demon's mouth turned up slightly. "There are other men out there more worth your time." The slight emphasis on the word men made Kurama smile inwardly. "Believe me," he continued, his voice getting quieter and going an octave lower, "you deserve only the best..."

But before Kurama could inquire on what the little fire demon had meant by that, Kuwabara strolled into the room and yelled his usual loud, obnoxious greeting. "Hey guys!"

"Hmph," Hiei snorted. "Stupid idiot."

They were all gathered at Yusuke's house, situtated in various positions around his living room, waiting for the mission that was sure to come. Boton had flown in earlier and informed them that Koenma wished to speak with them and they had all agreed to meet here at this time for their official instructions. But it seemed that the little ruler of the Spirit World was late. "Where is he?!" Hiei growled, low in his throat.

"Pacifier-breath will sow up sometime!" Yusuke said with his usual unflattering attitude. "He's never left us hanging before!"

Kurama's heart sped up slightly at the sound of his crush'd voice. Rough and loud, it didn't seem like something any normal person would like, but every word coing out of Yusuke Urameshi's mouth was music to the kitsune's ears. He could sit for hours and listen to Yusuke's voice rippling through the air and running over him in waves. He didn't know what it was, but that voice made him happier then anything, made him feel calm and content.

"Well I thank you for your unfailing vote of confidence, Yusuke," Koenma said popping up behind him.

"Gah!" Yusuke shouted, jumping about a foot in the air. "Don't do that to me! Give a guy some warning, will ya?!"

"Ahem!" Koenma coughed. "As for your mission..." And he proceeded to explain what he wanted them to do. Kurama listened closly for the first few minutes, then allowed his mind to wander slighty. Looked like it was going to be your typical "go-to-Spirit-World-and-exterminate-the-bad-demons" type mission and he had been on enough of those to know the ropes by now. His mind wandered, as usual, to Yusuke and he sat lost in his own little world of bliss.

Hiei too had grown bored with the pacifier wielding demon's speech. He rested his chin on his hand and glanced over at Kurama, whose eyes were unfocsed and blank. "The fool," Hiei thought fondly, for Kurama was the only one in the world he really cared for at all. Kurama had been there for him when no one else had, had supported him and brought him back from the brink of death more then once. Their friendship ran deep and Hiei was glad for it, despite the front he put on. Without Kurama his life would be meaningless and he would lose the will to live. For what was life without warmth?

The ties that bound them ran deeper then friendship, at least for Hiei they did. But Kurama was in love with Yusuke and so Hiei merely sat back and watched. For if it made Kurama happy, then he had no right to deny him happiness. But he would wait, bide his time and leap at the chance when the moment was right. For even if, by some impossible chance, Yusuke and
Kurama got together, they would only have as much time together as their short human lives permitted them. And when after 70 or so years their lives ended, Yusuke would be gone, but Kurama's true form, his Youko form, would be realeased and then Hiei could make his move. Seventy years may seem like a long time for a human, but demons often lived to be hundreds of years old, so 70 years was just a drop in the bucket.

Ruby eyes traced the profile of the red-haired human next to him. Yes, even when his true form was trapped inside the weak human body, he was still beautiful. Long red hair framed a slender, well-formed face. Large sparkling emerald eyes contrasted sharply to the hair and pink school uniform. His smooth creamy skin covered the slender, yet well-muscled human body that he
resided in and his fingers were long and elegant; hands meant for works of beauty, which was why the rose-whip fit Kurama so well. All in all, Hiei didn't think he could have found a more perfect being if he had searched all of the three worlds. Of course, he would never admit that to anyone. But it was nice to dream...

Kurama, feeling eyes on him, twitched and started out of his stupor. Shifting slightly and letting his eyes search the small room, he met a pair of blood red eyes looking at him so intently he felt his stomach do a flip. There was something in those eyes...thinly veiled but still there, he could see it, he could sense it. But he couldn't tell what it was...maybe if he looked a little harder. But then he blinked and it vanished. All that was in those eyes was a look of curiosity; Hiei raised an eyebrow at him and it lifted beyond the rim of his white headband. "What are you looking at?" he asked.

Kurama continued to stare suspiciously at him for a moment, then looked away, hearing Yusuke's voice once more as he interrupted Koenma. Hiei sighed and took his eyes off Kurama. Why try to get something you can never even hope to have? Why bother loving someone who will never love you in return? These and many more questions like them had bombarded his brain for a long time. But each time he came up with the same answer; each time the same, simple, reasonable, sensible answer presented itself and stopped his worries: Because he loved him. He loved him and nothing could ever change that. And that love was all he had to hold onto in this hellish world. It was all that was keeping him alive.

And so there sat half the Urameshi Team dreaming about about someone who, ironically, they could never have. But love is a funny thing, it works in ways the human mind could never even begin to understand. Little did the two dreaming demons know, that it would take them on a journey full of pain and tears, joy and discovery, deceit and betrayel, and unbounded passion and
desire. Little did they know that they were in for the ride of their lives.