Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ That Which Remains Unspoken ❯ Chapter VIII ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

That Which Remains Unspoken:

Chapter 8

A flurry of attacks, screams, blood, and crashes ensued as soon as the demons moved. Whirling and slashing with his whip, Kurama was a tornado of power, one only matched by Yusuke, who was fighting with him back to back, Spirit Fun flashing and fists flying. The two fought to get to Kuwabara who was still unconscious at the base of a tree on the other side of the fight. Frustrated, Yusuke swore loudly and kicked one of the demons hard. "Stupid loser!" he screamed and charged towards Kuwabara.

"Wait!" Kurama called after him. But before he could get to the dark-haired boy, a demon stepped in his path and sneered at him. Growing angry, Kurama slashed at him and tore his head off with the whip. But just as the demon was falling, he heard a high-pitched scream from in front of him. "Yusuke!" he gasped and jumped over the enormous bulk of the fallen demon. The sight that met his eyes made his skin tingle and his hair stand on end. Yusuke was lying on the ground in a pool of his own blood, mouth agape, eyes frozen wide in pain. He coughed and blood gurgled from his mouth.

Kurama stood there trembling for several long seconds, just staring at his fallen lover. Then as his mind processed the image before him, a vengeful rage stole over him. His breath hissed through his teeth and an ire even more harsh then Hiei's clouded his eyes. He snarled and charged towards the offending demon, whip raised and ready. The smirk on the demon's face turned to a grimace of pain as Kurama tore his body apart with the thorny whip. Whirling around and bellowing a battle cry, he killed the last of the demons in one fell swoop, then ran over to where Yusuke lay.

He threw himself down on the ground beside the Spirit Detective and gently lifted his dark head into his lap. Stroking the soft hair, he whispered Yusuke's name over and over again, begging him to wake up. Eyelids fluttering Yusuke finally murmured, "K-Kurama…" "Oh, God!" Kurama thought. "Yusuke," he whispered back, stroking his cheeks. Yusuke tried to twist around but a look of immense pain stole over his face and he cried out. "Don't try to move," Kurama reprimanded him gently, still cradling his head. Looking up, he glanced over to where Kuwabara lay. "Kuwabara! Kuwabara!" he called. A moan greeted him as the orange-headed boy slumped even further towards the ground, still out cold.

"What am I going to do?!" Kurama thought frantically, mind awhirl. He glanced down at the wounded boy on his lap and tears ran down his cheeks. "YUSUKE!" he screamed. His hands lightly played over the smaller boy's smooth chest and flat stomach as his blurry thoughts tried to think of what to do. Thoughts awhirl, he finally remembered Yusuke's Communication Mirror. Digging in the pocket's of his love's jeans, he found the mirror and flipped open the purple top. Boton's cheery face appeared on the screen before his eyes and it was then that he knew everything was going to be okay.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A few hours later he found himself sitting by the side of Yusuke's bed, while the wounded Spirit Detective lay there, sleeping and bandaged. Kurama didn't know how or when he had gotten there; the last painful, hectic hours had all swirled into one massive blur. He reached out and took one of Yusuke's hands in his, running the pad of his thumb over the rough, scarred knuckles. The only sound in the room was Yusuke's soft breathing so, naturally, when the door to his room banged open with a loud crash, Kurama was startled out of his wits.

Keiko rushed into the room, almost shoving Kurama aside as she knelt down by the side of Yusuke's bed. "Yusuke?! Yusuke?!" she pleaded frantically. Kurama spared her one annoyed glance, then bent down and touched Yusuke's cheek once more before he left the room, deciding to let Keiko talk to him alone. He closed the door softly behind him and went out into the living room, where Kuwabara was sprawled on the couch, holding a bag of ice on his bruised head. "How's Urameshi doin'?" he asked in his usual rough voice. "He's still asleep," Kurama replied softly and the two boys sat there in companionable silence until Keiko came out of the room.

Her face looked happy as she turned to Kurama and said, "He's awake now!" Hearing this, Kurama immediately rushed back into Yusuke's room and knelt down by his bed. Yusuke had been facing the wall, but he turned over when Kurama entered and looked right into his eyes. Kurama gasped. Yusuke's eyes were brimming with tears.

"What did she do to you?!" he asked, alarmed. "What's wrong?!" he gently reached out to brush away the tears with a tender hand and Yusuke reached up with his own and grasped it tightly. "K-K-Kurama…I…" He broke off and looked at the wall, still clasping Kurama's hand in his own. Kurama gazed down at him, a mixture of love and concern coloring his eyes. "Yusuke," he said tenderly.

Finally the dark haired boy looked back at him and said, "Kurama, I…I can't love you anymore. Keiko apologized to me and-" But before he could finish Kurama cut him off. "What?" The simple question wasn't shouted of screamed and there was no malice in it; it was simply said in a dead, flat tone. "Kurama, I'm sorry, I-" But he was once again cut short but the fox-boy, who jumped up, knocking the chair over backwards and yanking his hand from the smaller boy's grasp. "What?!" This time the question was screamed in a panicky, pained voice. I'm sorry Kurama!" Yusuke said pleadingly, reaching out with one hand. "But-"

Kurama whirled around without waiting to hear the rest of his explanation and ran out of the room. He rushed right by Kuwabara, who half stood up and shouted after him, and ran all the way back to his house, brushing aside his mother's concerned looks and half formed questions, leaping up the stairs to his room, where he threw himself down on his bed and buried his face in his pillow. The fabric pressed up against his face was soon damp with tears he didn't even know had been running down his face. He lifted his head up and breathed deeply, trying to calm down, but the tears just wouldn't stop. Confusion, anger, but most of all an overwhelming sense of anguish speared through his head and heart, creating jagged cuts that would mark him for life.

His world seemed to crumble around him as the tears rained down, spattering his hands with hot salty wetness as he reached up to wipe them away. A void had now opened up in the space where his heart had been, and his head throbbed and pounded behind his eyes. Everything else seemed to just fade away and he felt like he was falling- falling into a bottomless pit where grief and eternal pain reigned supreme. He stared at nothing, not feeling the pillow and bed beneath him, nor the hot tears that continued to run down his smooth cheeks. He didn't hear his mother knocking at his door, or the sound of the rain just beginning to fall outside. He had ceased to exist and was drowning in a sea of despair.

"What have I done?!" he thought mournfully. "What have I done…"