Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ The Battle Lord Chronicles: Of Truths and Lies ❯ Memories ( Chapter 23 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I do not own Yu Yu Hakusho or any related names or items. Kiara is owned by Yusuke'sSister. The song "Me Against the World" belongs to Simple Plan.
 
Claimer: I do own the plot line, the title, the Kuro Tournament, Kristy, Jason, Jessica, Chris, Bashere, Rhurac, and anything else related to them.
 
(1) - For all of you Americans--like me--out there, primary school is basically the same as elementary school.
(2) - Again to you Americans, secondary school is like middle school/junior high school.
(3) - In Japanese, Onii-san is the respectful term for older brother.
 
"Talking"
'Thinking'
'Telepathy'
 
Thanks to my beta reader, Seer Vixion!
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------
 
Of Truth & Lies
 
Chapter 23
Memories
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------
 
It was only about a half an hour later when, surprisingly, I found myself walking by my old primary school(1). I blinked, startled, and slowed down to a halt in front by the chain link fence in front of the playground. Immediately, unwanted and forgotten memories forced their way to the surface of my mind. I grimaced; things were so different back then, back before I had even met Jessica and Chris--we had met in secondary school(2). Back then my parents hadn't been dead for even five years, and it was still a sore spot for me, despite the fact that I had been too young to really remember what they were like before they died. No, before they were killed.
 
--Flashback--
 
Hesitantly I walked out over to the swings and sat down. I didn't recognize anyone around me and so just sat quietly on the swing, staring at the sand beneath me. Only a few minutes later, however, I became aware of a whispering group of young girls, about my age, not a few feet away. The fact that every now and then would throw a quick glance at me, cued me in to the fact that I was the subject of their whispers, but then again, they weren't exactly keeping their voices too low either.
 
We're not gonna be
Just apart of their game
We're not gonna be
Just the victims
They're taking our dreams
And they tear them apart
Til everyone's the same
"Is that her?"
 
"The one with the weird blue eyes?"
 
"Yeah, I think it is!"
 
"I've heard that she's so weird!"
 
"They say that she doesn't have any friends."
 
"Yeah, just look at her! I mean, she's just sitting there all alone!"
 
"What a weirdo!"
 
Abruptly, the small group seemed to become aware that I was watching them. They shied away for a moment, avoiding eye contact, until one girl finally gathered the courage to step forward. She had short dark brown hair and black eyes, much like most of the other girls.
 
I've got no place to go
I've got no where to run
They love to watch me fall
They think they know it all
 
She turned her nose up snobbishly at me. "What are you looking at?" she snapped. I blinked, slightly surprised at her hostility.
 
"U-umm," I stuttered, but face heating up.
 
"What?" the girl said, sneering. The other girls behind her seemed to gain nerve from her and stepped up to support her. A few exclamations of "Yeah, what!" came from them. "Do you have a problem with us?" the snobbish girl continued.
 
"N-no!" I replied, shrinking in on myself and flinching away from the gazes of the girls.
 
The lead girl sneered again and the group proceed to jeer at me--mostly on pointless topics like my lack of friends or how my eyes were different. I tried my best to block it out, but a comment from one girl--I wasn't sure which, the group seemed more like a blob of voices that a group of individual people--really stuck me deeply.
 
"I heard you've got no parents!"
 
I'm a nightmare, a disaster
That's what they always say
I'm a lost cause, not a hero
But I'll make it on my own
I've gotta prove them wrong
Me against the world
It's me against the world
 
I immediately flinched away again, turning my face from the ground. Because of this however, I missed the triumphant glint that had suddenly lit up the lead girl's eyes.
 
"Oh? So it's true?" the girl smirked. "You really don't have any parents? Heh, they probably left you. They couldn't stand looking at you everyday. They were probably too ashamed that someone like you was their daughter!"
 
I flinched at each word, attempting to draw into myself even more and wishing with every fiber of my being that I could just disappear at that moment. Nonetheless, however, I somehow managed to stutter out, "Sh-sh-shut up! My parents didn't leave me! They died in an accident!"
 
A few over the girl's flinched and looked away; they obviously hadn't known anything about what had actually happened to my parents. Despite this however, the lead girl just continued smirking, not an ounce of sympathy in her face. "They wanted to get away from you that much?"
 
We won't let them change
How we feel in our hearts
We're not gonna let them control us
We won't let them shove
All their thoughts in our heads
And we'll never be like them
 
I flinched again--not even noticing how much I had been doing that--and found that my mouth wouldn't let me reply.
 
The girl continued on, not noticing or just completely ignoring the pained look on my face. "I heard that you have a brother too," she said, almost carelessly. "I'm shocked that he hasn't left too. But then, he's probably too much of a moron; he'd have to be if he stays within two feet of you." I opened my mouth to defend Jason, but the snobby girl just plowed right on. "It's no matter though; he'll probably get himself killed too, soon."
 
At that moment, something snapped within me and I found my face heating up again, though this time from anger rather than embarrassment. "Shut up!" I snarled, leaping from my seat on the swing, all previous nervousness forgotten. "Don't you dare talk about my Onii-san(3) that way!"
 
I've got no place to go
I've got no where to run
They love to watch me fall
They think they know it all
 
The lead girl was so startled by my sudden outburst that she stumbled backwards, eyes wide, and tripped over her own feet and fell onto her butt. I continued to glare down at her, my fists clenching and unclenching, while she and the other girls just stared at me, completely shocked by my sudden outburst. Of course, it was at that moment, when we were in that position, that a teacher suddenly swooped down on us.
 
"What's going?" she questioned. "What happened?"
 
The lead girl was snapped out of her shock and she continued to stare at me for a moment before abruptly bursting into tears. She raised up a shaking hand and pointed at me, sniffing through her sobs, "She pushed me!"
 
I immediately lost my angry composer and gaped at the wailing girl. What was she talking about! I hadn't even touched her!
 
I'm a nightmare, a disaster
That's what they always say
I'm a lost cause, not a hero
But I'll make it on my own
I'm gonna prove them wrong
It's me against the world
Me against the world
 
Unfortunately, the girl wasn't done, "I was just asking her if she wanted to play with us, and she just stood up and pushed me!"
 
The teacher quickly tried to soothe the crying girl, while glaring at me. "Miss Walker!" she snapped. "You should know better that! She was just treating you kindly!" I gaped at the woman. Kindly? She was saying that the snobbish girl's actions were kindly? I was in such a state of shock that I didn't even notice that the woman was next to me until I felt a strong grip on my wrist. She was ranting to me about behaving better as she started to drag towards the school building. She paused after a few feet and glanced back over her shoulder at the snobbish girl--who was currently being surrounded by the gaggle of girls that had been with her--and a gentle look came over her face. "I'll be back in just a moments, dear," she said. She then glanced back down at me and her face hardened again. "Come along," she snapped.
 
Now I'm sick of this waiting
So come on and take your shot
You can spit all your insults
But nothing you say is gonna change us
You can sit there and judge me
Say what you want to
We'll never let you in
As she continued to drag me away, I glanced back at the girls and saw the lead girl smirking cruelly at me, no sign of tears on her face.
 
--End Flashback--
 
I let out a deep sigh and turned away from the school. While my times in primary school hadn't been particularly...fun...that had taught me a lot, not the least of which was how to stand up for myself. Who knows how I would have turned out, had I not changed. I snorted at that thought; that's something that I would pay to see.
 
I'm a nightmare, a disaster
That's what they always said
I'm a lost cause, not a hero
But I'll make it on my own
Me against the world
As I began walking again, wanting to get out of view from the school, my thoughts turned to my two best friends. It was years later, when I first started secondary school, when I first met Chris and Jessica. The three of us had hit it off instantly, despite our differences. And here we were many years later, still very close friends. Not to mention that now we had a new group of friends who were quickly becoming just as close to me and Jessie and Chris were. Finally, of course, there was my dear elder brother Jay, who, despite the ass that he was sometimes, was someone that I loved dearly. He had always been there for, and was even more so now that he was training me for the Kuro Tournament.
 
At that train of thought I sped up my pace. Even more so now that the tournament was coming up, I had to protect my friends and family. They were all that I had, and I would do anything to keep them from harm.
 
We'll never fall in line
I'll make it on my own
Me against the world