Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ The Goddess Tears ❯ The Journey Begins, A Legend is Told ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Chapter Three
"The Journey Begins, A Legend is Told"
by: Silver Nightingale

Disclaimer: I do not own Yu Yu Hakusho or any of its characters so please don't sue me.

AN: A BIG thanks to the 6 people who read my fic. Even if there are no reveiws at least I know that some people out there are at least reading my work. Now, if only even one would review. *hinthint*

---

The wind was blowing gently against the trees and a low murmur of a nearby stream could be heard. The sun was beginning to rise and was showering the earth with its proud and lovely rays of light. Genkai's temple was so serene and quiet. Standing in a clearing was a girl, Botan, waiting for the reunited Spirit Detectives to come.

Just then, we could hear the soft crunching of fallen leaves. A figure slowly walked towards Botan...


~~~


"I have to go now. The Spirit World is calling for us once again." Kuwabara stated, smiling, but his tone was quite serious. So unlike the Kuwabara we once knew...

Shizuru nodded, "I understand that Kuwabara. Please, take care of yourself..." she replied. "Botan just told me about your new enemies... I can't say that I'm not worried about you..." She then shook her head hard. "What am I saying... go on! Get out of here." she added with a smile.

Kuwabara nodded and headed for the door. "Bye." [I just hope that we would see each other again...]


~~~


"Kuwabara!" Botan greeted happily.

Kuwabara smiled, "So, where's everyone?" he took a look around. His eyes widened, "Don't tell me that I'm the first one to come." he exclaimed.

Botan gave a laugh then nodded her head, a sweatdrop forming. "Yup."

Kuwabara looked at Botan and Botan looked at Kuwabara. They stared at each other for a while then ended up laughing.

"What the hell is so funny?" another figure asked.


~~~


"I have to go now Keiko." Yusuke informed his fiancée.

"Yusuke!" Keiko shouted.

Birds sitting on the cherry tree just outside the Ramen Shop flew away towards the sky.

"Keiko..." Yusuke said softly while delicately caressing the girl's long brown hair.

Keiko's hug became tighter, "Promise me... promise me that you'll come back..." she said, nearly in tears.

Yusuke nodded, "I will be back... I promise." he then broke their sweet embrace and smiled.

Keiko nodded back, forcing back her tears. "Goodbye Yusuke. Good luck." To her surprise, warm lips claimed hers. [Oh, Yusuke...]

[Keiko... Wait for me... I'll be back, I promise you...]


~~~


"Urameshi!" Kuwabara greeted the shorter figure.

"Yo!" Yusuke greeted back. "Where's Kurama?"

Kuwabara and Botan smiled. "He's not here yet." Botan casually stated.

"Who's not here yet?" a third figure asked.


~~~


"Mother!" Shuichi called out. "I have to go now, or I'll be late."

"Wait, Shuichi." his mother, Shiori, replied.

Shuichi gave a little smile, "Mother..." he said silently. [I am very sorry... I had to lie to you again...]

"Here." Shiori then handed her son a snack. "Take it." she then smiled. "Have a great time with your vacation." she added.

Shuichi nodded, "I will, mother. Don't worry about me." he replied. [Yes... Don't worry about me... I can take care of myself...] he repeated again in his mind. "Just be careful, okay mother?"

Shiori gave a laugh. "I should be the one saying that, Shuichi"

Shuichi smiled at his laughing human mother then gave her a kiss on her cheek. "Bye mother. See you!"


~~~


"Kurama! Took you long enough!" Yusuke stated in a teasing tone.

Shuichi gave an apologetic smile, "I am terribly sorry everyone. It took me quite a while to explain everything to mother." he explained.

The three laughed, "Oh, don't worry 'bout that, Shuichi! You worry too much." Kuwabara replied.

Botan looked at Shuichi, "Umm... Kurama? Is your friend coming with us?" she asked.

Shuichi gave a small sigh, "I haven't heard from her since last night." he informed.

Botan looked disappointed, "Oh well..." she sighed. She then looked at the others, "Ready to go?"

When the three nodded, she summoned her strength and opened a portal. "This is the closest portal I could open for our first destination." she stated. She gave the team a glance before continuing. "Let's go!"

The three nodded and entered the portal and Botan followed. Soon after, the portal closed.


A bright meadow could be seen. Tall grass swaying with the wind, flowers at their full bloom... Not so far away, a river was flowing gently. All of a sudden, the place was engulfed in a crystal white light and four figures came down slowly.


"Where are we?" Yusuke asked in a dazed voice.

"I'm dizzy... So dizzy," Kuwabara said while walking around and around.

Botan gave the two a look and complained, "You two, stop clowning around. This is not the safest place in the Demon World." she informed.

Kurama examined the new place. [Everything is so peaceful... What's even stranger is that I do not know of this place... What part of the Demon World is this?]

"Botan, what are you doing here?" Yusuke inquired.

Botan sighed, "Koenma ordered me to go with you. I could be quite valuable as a healer, you know." she stated, quite irritated.

"Oh, great! It's already bad enough fighting with unknown enemies in an unknown place but fighting the enemies with a girl is even worse! I just can't believe my stupid luck." Yusuke complained.

Botan fumed, "Well, excuse me for being a pain." she replied. "Che! Stupid Yusuke!" she added in a low tone.

"Nice move, Urameshi." Kuwabara commented as Yusuke rolled his eyes.

"Botan," Kurama suddenly called out.

"What is it Kurama?" Botan replied.

"May I ask, do any of us know where our first destination is?" the redhead asked as he walked towards the deity.

Yusuke and Kuwabara followed. "Yeah, where are we going?" Kuwabara echoed.

Botan gave Yusuke a look before turning to the other two. "Well, according to the only information that Koenma had, we are supposed to follow this river then we'll see a waterfalls. There, we'll meet the first enemy. We need to defeat the enemy and recover a gem." Botan then raised a rectangular black box. "This is where we are supposed to place the gems we collect. There is a total of eight gems and... and... That's about it." she finished with a sweatdrop.

"That's all?" Yusuke exclaimed in surprise. "No other information?"

Botan nodded. "No other information."

Kuwabara scratched his head hard, "What the hell!" he complained. "How the hell are we supposed to kill 'em all?"

Botan slightly frowned, "I don't know!" she shouted. She then took a look at Kurama, hoping that the redhead would have something to share, but was surprised to find that he was deep in his thoughts again. "Kurama, what's wrong?"

Kurama looked at Botan; "...You just said that we need to collect gems, right? And we need to collect eight of them...?" he questioned.

Botan nodded, "Yes, what's wrong?" she asked again, worry evident in her voice.

"...I think I've heard a story, no, a legend about that back then when I was still young." Kurama finally said.

"Say what?" Yusuke and Kuwabara asked in unison.

Kurama looked at them with serious eyes and nodded. "It was such a long time ago... And it was just a legend... But it is fairly similar to what Botan was saying."

"Is that true, Kurama?" Botan asked and when she received a nod she continued. "Please tell us all about it."

Yusuke nodded, "Yeah, at least it beats having no info at all." he stated with a smile.

Kuwabara agreed, "Yeah Kurama." he addressed Shuichi by his demon name. "Tell us." he then sat on the soft grass, followed by Botan and Yusuke.

Kurama looked at the three and shrugged as he, too, sat down. "Well..." the fox spirit then begun to tell the story.


"Long ago, there lived a goddess and a god. The goddess was good while the god was evil. The god did nothing each day but to plan on how to destroy humanity, and because of this, the goddess devised of a way to seal the god together with his evil intentions. With her divine powers, she created eight gems each symbolizing the eight great elements--earth, fire, wind, water, ice, lightning, holy, and shadow. With the aid of these gems, she had successfully sealed the god for all eternity. Peace reigned. But, the goddess wanted to make sure that the evil god won't cause harm to anyone anymore, so she created the eight goddesses. The eight goddesses were the guardians of each gem, to make sure that the evil would remained sealed. They protect the gems and would fight with anyone who wants to take the gem away. Some say that whoever would gain even just one of these gems would become extremely powerful, but no one is sure, for no one who has ever challenged the goddesses ever made it out of their wrath alive..."


The three stared at Kurama. "How did you know that? I've never heard of such story before." Yusuke stated.

Kurama gave a smile, "Of course you haven't, Yusuke. The legend was from the Demon World." he explained.

Botan was still surprised, "But how come you know it? I never heard of it before, too. Who told you that?" she asked.

Kurama gave a weak smile, "Well, I gave this merchant gold for the information. You see, I wanted to get the goddess tears back then to become even more powerful." he gave a laugh and sweatdropped as his comrades fell down.

"I should have known!" Kuwabara said laughing.

Kurama turned slightly pink, "Never mind that. Come on, we have to go to the first location. We have already wasted much of our time." he said.
Botan giggled, "Okay, Kurama." she said. The deity then turned to the others, "Well then, come on!" she chirped.

Yusuke stood up and stretched, "Okay! Let's go!" he ordered.

The party then walked towards the river, ready to follow its path... ready for their first challenge... ready to face their first trial to destiny...

---

AN: That's the end of the third chapter. This is my favorite chapter by far. Did you guys have fun reading it, too? How about including your thoughts in a review? Suggestions are pretty nice, too.