Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ The Goddess Tears ❯ The Trial of Friendship ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Chapter Five
"The Trial of Friendship"
by: Silver Nightingale

Disclaimer: I do not own Yu Yu Hakusho or any of its characters so please don't sue me.

AN: Wow! A reader actually reviewed my work and twice, too. ^_^ I'm so happy. Someone actually cares about me. I'm so honored that you gave me a perfect 10. *hugglez the reviewer* Special thanks to Lya and a BIG thanks to the other 6 readers of my fic. I hope you guys would review, too. Well, on to the next chapter!

---

"Yusuke!" the others cried out.

Yusuke closed his eyes and readied himself to receive the strong impact of the summoned attack when all of a sudden the Water Goddess gave a high-pitched, ear-shattering, childish shout.

"What the heck?" Nateki shrieked.

Yusuke slowly opened his eyes and saw that his comrades also had surprised expressions. [What happened?] Just then, Yusuke saw the cause of the surprised look in everyone's faces--the wave of water that was supposed to have hit him has magically turned into solid cold ice. [What the!]

"Waaah! Who did this? Who? Who? Who?" Nateki questioned with an upset tone. "Who dare interferes with my plans? Well?" one of her brows twitched in annoyance.


::Yusuke:: a familiar feminine voice telephatically communicated.

"Wha--"

::Shh... Don't. Just act casual, as if nothing is happening.:: the voice commanded.

::But, who are you?:: Yusuke questioned.

::That's not important.:: the tone stated.


Just then, as Nateki was questioning the other party members one by one of who had interfered with her plans, Yusuke felt his hand grow cold. [What's happening?] He took a peek at his right hand and saw that the binding water chain was beginning to get frozen.


::Yusuke, once the chains get frozen, get ready to free yourself and continue the fight. I have to freeze them as slow as I could to prevent the goddess from sensing anything. Meanwhile, I'll do some things to divert her attention, got it?:: the voice instructed once again.

::Got it.:: Yusuke affirmed. ::Oh! And whoever you are, thanks a whole lot!:: he added.

::No problem.:: the voice replied before breaking the telephatic bond.


[Now all I have to do is to wait.] Yusuke took another quick glance at his wrists.[But how long is this thing going to take?] he wondered.


"Okay! Admit it! It was you!" Nateki pointed at Botan and pouted. "How dare you?"

Botan sweatdropped, "I didn't do anything. Honest!" she replied at the childish goddess.

"Then, it was you!" Nateki pointed at the carrot-top.

"It wasn't me. For the third time, I'll tell you that it wasn't me." Kuwabara answered in a tone hinted with irritation.

Nateki fumed and pointed her finger at Kurama's nose, "It was you, wasn't it?" she said in a menacing voice.

Kurama smiled, "No, I'm afraid that it was not me." he said in a calm tone.

"Then who was it?" Nateki asked the three in her irritated voice again.

But, no one had the chance to answer for a shattering sound could be heard. Nateki turned around just in time to view her own frozen attack shatter and avoid hundreds of tiny sharp ice crystals headed her way. "Who did that?" she questioned once again as the ice crystals pinned themselves into the cavern walls.

Kuwabara and Botan's eyes turned big with shock and confusion while Kurama's emerald ones gave a mysterious glint.

Nateki, seeing that everyone's reactions are almost similar to hers, frowned in frustration. "I can't take it anymore!" she finally exploded. "Spiral Twist!" she summoned her powers to create a wave of twisting water and aimed it at a random location, hoping to hit whomever it was in the process. The cavern's walls shook with force. "Aah! I'm so mad!" she then fired two more waves of water at random locations.

"I would advice you to stop doing that." Kurama's voice interrupted the now upset Water Goddess.

"Oh yeah?" she approached Kurama and looked directly into his dazzling orbs. "What makes you think that I would?"

"Well, if you would want your precious cavern to collapse then go on ahead with what you were doing." Kurama replied in a mysterious tone paired up with an equally mysterious smile.

Nateki studied Kurama's features, finally she decided to look away. "Hmp! I don't care what you say." she replied with her eyes closed. She then approached Yusuke's still-paralyzed body and smiled. "Well, they do say that if at first you don't succeed, try and try again! So--" she raised her hands and summoned her powers for a second attempt to finish Yusuke. "Death Tsunam--" her eyes widened. "What!" she exclaimed as she saw that her binding chains have transformed to ice. As if the ice had a mind of its own, it shattered and headed towards Nateki, freeing Yusuke in the process. Nateki managed to evade the ice crystals but it continued to trail her. She evaded it once again but this time, she saw that Yusuke was right in front of her with a smile.

"Rei gun!" Yusuke finally managed to summon his energy and take a shot at his opponent.

Nateki's jade eyes widened again as both the ice crystals and Yusuke's rei gun had hit her, sending showers of azure blue light all over the cavern.


The steady rhythm of the flowing stream could be heard in the background. The brilliant sunlight forced two eyes of brown open.


Yusuke slowly stood up and viewed a luscious green meadow with a stream right in the middle, created by the water that had fell down the falls. [What happened? The last thing I remembered was that I had hit Nateki and a blinding blue light suddenly glowed... and then everything was black... Wait a minute! Where is everyone?] Yusuke frantically searched for his other friends and spotted them not so far away from him. They were still unconscious. Yusuke rushed besides Kuwabara and shook him nervously. "Hey! Hey! Wake up!"

Kuwabara began to stir.

Yusuke shook him harder this time, "Hey Kuwabara! Wake the hell up!" he stated.

Finally, Kuwabara stirred awake. "Where am I?" he wondered out loud. He then remembered what had happened in the cavern. "Yusuke? Yusuke! What happened? Where are the others? Did you beat the silly goddess?" he inquired, relieved that at least Yusuke was all right.

"I don't know if I had beaten her..." Yusuke answered in a soft and guilty voice. "The others are there." he pointed out. "Help me wake them up."

With a nod, Kuwabara stood up and headed for Botan while Yusuke headed for Kurama. Together, they woke the two up.

"So, you don't know what happened?" Botan asked Yusuke. She tried hard to mask her sadness so as not to make Yusuke feel more guilty about the event but still, her sadness showed.

"I don't know... Darn it all! I'm so sorry everyone... I shouldn't have underestimated her in the first place. None of this would've happened if I took her on seriously... I really thought that she was just a kid..." Yusuke apologized.

"No need to apologize, Yusuke. You tried your best." Kurama smiled at the guilty being in front of them.

"But--"

"No buts, Urameshi!" Kuwabara interrupted. "You did your best, no regrets."

Botan smiled and nodded in unison with Kurama.

"But how about the Human World?" Yusuke countered.

"We'll think of a way. We always do!" Botan cheerfully replied.

"Botan..." Yusuke trailed, touched by his friends' trust and support. "Thanks..." Yusuke smiled. "You guys are the best..." He then remembered something about the past event in the Rainbow Cavern. He was just about to say something when a bright blue light halted him. A being then manifested itself--it was Nateki, the Water Goddess, and she wore a warm smile.

"Yusuke, Kuwabara, Kurama, Botan." she said as she gazed at each of them. "I am the Water Goddess and I guard the water gem from beings with evil intentions and plans for its powers." Her smile widened. "I have lost the match, Yusuke--

Yusuke's head instantly jerked up and his brown eyes showed surprise and happiness at the same time.

"--but your success alone is not the only way to get the gem." Nateki stated.

The party shared a look of confusion.

Nateki giggled, "For you to gain my gem, you need to prove that your reason must be pure." she then paused. "And now, after seeing your friendship and support to each other, I shall finally let go of the gem I worked so hard to protect." She then smiled. "Congratulations, you all have proven yourselves worthy of my gem and its power."

The party was too stunned at first but then they finally realized their victory.

"Alright!" Yusuke, Kuwabara and Botan cried out in unison while Kurama simply smiled at the three.

"I reward you with the water gem..." Nateki finally stated.

All of a sudden, the whole place was engulfed with a blue light. Nateki positioned her hand as if cupping something, the light had begun to shimmer. It swirled around Nateki's hand and finally transformed into a tear-shaped sapphire gem. It started to glow.

Botan screamed in surprise as the black box from her kimono suddenly glowed and begun to float towards the Water Goddess.

Nateki smiled and with her divine powers, she made the gem enter the black box. The gem positioned itself on top of the box and then it slowly disappeared. The blue light then faded.

"There." Nateki stated. "The gem is now in your possession." she added as the black box drifted back towards Botan.

Botan carefully wrapped her fingers around the floating box and then returned it in her kimono. She smiled at Nateki. "Thank you."

"Don't mention it." she replied with a smile. "You all have good intentions, I hope for your success." and with that said, she too begun to fade. "Don't forget your trust to each other, it would be very essential for your future battles, and Yusuke, never underestimate anyone for much stronger guardians await you. My last advice--follow the Stream of Life..." were Nateki's final words before she had vanished completely.

"Woah!" Kuwabara exclaimed.

"Yes! We got the first one!" Yusuke pumped his fist in the air.

Botan nodded, "Nice job, Yusuke." she told their leader.

"What did you expect?" Yusuke bragged with a smug laugh.

"But of course," Kurama interrupted. "It could not have turned out this way if it hadn't been for a 'little' help." he said in his mysterious voice again.

"What do you mean Kurama?" Kuwabara asked the redhead.

Kurama gave a soft laugh, "You can come out now." he stated with a smile.

His other friends looked at him strangely. Just then, a low rustling sound could be heard and out came a purple-headed girl with golden brown eyes.

"Na-Narusawa?" the three exclaimed in unison.

Narusawa gave them all a smile as her face begun to take a shade of pink. "Hello!" she greeted the team.

---

AN: Chapter five is over. See yah guys again in the next chapter. It shall come out pretty soon. Again, reviews and other thoughts regarding the fic is greatly appreciated.