Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ The Guarding of Chaos ❯ Hidden Youki ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

I'm-a back! Well? It going well? I changed the ending of the last chapter, because I introduced something too fast and it wasn't going like I wanted. But now its on track……..If you like this story, or don't, REVIEW IT ANYWAYS!!!!!! Does no one read this? …………..Well back to Spirit Lake……
 
“…..” Talking
 
…… Thinking
 
\\…\\ Hikari to Hiei
 
//…// Hiei to Hikari
 
{……} Thoughts accidentally passed
 
The Guarding of Chaos
 
Hidden Youki
 
~*~*~*~*~*~
 
Hiei jumped down and landed on the wood railing of the back deck. Jumping to the glass sliding door, he opened it and rushed to Hikari's side. I shouldn't be so worried, he reasoned. She's fine, she shouldn't have more then a bump on the head. But when he saw her scared face, that notion went out the window. Yes I…care…about her, but really should I want to rush to her side like this?
 
“Hiei,” she mewled, tears stinging her eyes.
 
“Are you alright?” he asked quickly.
 
“I've got a monster headache, but what about the fire?! Why'd I pass out!?”
 
“Don't worry, Annai put the fire out…….. Maybe you just need some sleep?” Hiei offered.
 
“Maybe, but…..” she said, letting it hang.
 
“But what?” Hiei asked, surprised by his own curiosity.
 
“Why do I feel heat? I smell a lot of ash and …….when I close my eyes or even blink, I see fire,” she murmured.
 
“You see fire?” Hiei was slightly confused.
 
 
“Not just fire but streams of water, flashes of lightning, blooming plants, ...and more…. I don't understand!” she cried again. Neither did Hiei. He'd forgotten for a moment that Hikari was demon, confirmed by the wielding of fire and the rolling youki he could feel but couldn't pinpoint. It had to be coming from Hikari; there was no one else it could be coming from.
 
“Where's Annai?”
 
“Oh, Annai…ahhh…outside!”
 
“Why?”
 
“Why?.......Making sure there's no hot spots from the fire! ... Yea.”
 
“Oh,” Hikari looked out the window, “How'd it get so late?”
 
In the “excitement” of the day, the sun had set, and it had become late at night.
 
“I should get to bed.” Hikari yawned, as if to make her point. Her previous fears and problems suddenly banished from her mind, but not from that of her worried half-koorime guardian.
 
~*~*~*~*~*~
 
Hiei sat on the railing of the back deck. His thoughts were jumbled. He hated that. Why am I so concerned about Hikari? It wasn't like this before the attack or amnesia. Why-
 
“What are you doing outside, Hiei?” Hikari stood in the doorway, toothbrush hanging from her mouth.
 
“Hn,”
 
“Well, that's something I haven't heard in a while,” she muttered. Hiei tried to ignore her, but it was as though something compelled him to listen.
 
“Hey! You there?!” Hikari shouted. Youki crackled from behind him. He turned and could see the aura surrounding Hikari. His eyes widened before putting his mask pack in place.
 
“Go to bed. It'll get rid of your headache,”
 
{What's wrong with him?}
 
“Nothing's wrong with me. Please just….” Hiei started, almost pleadingly.
 
“Fine, do something for me? It's a little early to ask but-”
 
“Sure, what?”
 
“Wear green.”
 
“Whaa….?”
 
~*~*~*~*~*~
 
//Why do I have to wear green?// Hiei grimaced.
 
\\Because you agreed and your nice\\ Why'd I agree? Why'd I agree? Hiei thought, one eye twitching. His shirt was green, Hikari was grinning.
 
\\It's St. Patrick's Day! You have to wear green because if anyone sees you without it, they'll pinch you! Since you don't like people, I figured it would be easier to just have you wear it!\\
 
“Damn…….” Hiei muttered. He could just see the school, and everyone seemed to be in green.
 
“There's a lot of Irish blood in this town so St. Patty's Day always seems so extravagant, though it's not. See ya!” she called now running to the entrance.
 
“Holy crap,” Hiei looked down; Annai stood there, mouth agape.
 
“Nice to see you again. Get lost?”
 
“No, boy,” Annai muttered, “What's with all the……. green?”
 
“Hikari called it `St. Patrick's Day'.”
 
“Okay…You…followed me yesterday. Don't tell Hikari what you saw.”
 
“You are actually going to trust me?” Hiei looked down in mock surprise.
 
“Damnitt, kid! Hikari couldn't handle what you know!”
 
“Sure, fine,” What's he talking about?
 
Hiei watched Hikari, pondering what Annai had said. Hiei really didn't know anything. It was better that Annai thought he knew though. Hiei could use it against him easily. He sat in that familiar place, where he had ended up the day he had met Hikari. He still didn't know where it was, or how he got there for that matter. He just ended up there when Hikari went to school most days. Worse was he couldn't really leave. He sat in a giant Sakura tree, full of unopened blossoms.
 
He looked around, it was so strange. I don't get this. Why should I care though, at least I'm not in jail or a detective again. He shut his eyes, Hikari didn't appear to need him right then, and Annai hadn't attacked him before-
 
Hiei's eyes snapped open. What the hell? The blossoms all around him had suddenly burst open. Things were moving and creaking. The grass rustled and the wind picked up.
 
\\Hiei? Uhhhhaaahhh…..I don't feel well… Hiei!\\ A scream.
 
“What's going on?!” Hiei yelled. Things were moving in the westward forest and, unless his mind was playing tricks on him today, it appeared to be the tree branches. Then he heard it. That laugh. The one that had erupted from Hikari's throat when the fire had wrapped its tendrils around her, and now it echoed all around him. Suddenly, the branch beneath him moved and shifted, shaking to get him off. Plants erupted from the ground and vines grew to grab his ankles and pulled.
 
“What in the three worlds?!!”
 
Suddenly, he was back in the parking lot of the school. Well, it had been the parking lot. Grass and plants, vines and more, covered it. His eyes followed brown-green roots that slither across the ground. They converged at the center of the lot where, on a tree branch, Hikari stood smiling. Hiei stared. A vine launched itself at him and he moved back. Another did the same thing and soon he was dodging plant paraphernalia all around.
 
//Hikari!// Hiei shouted through the link.
 
She's not here. Buzz off.
 
//Nani?!//
 
She's sleeping. And you won't get her back this time!
 
//The hell I won't!//
 
Why are you so needingof her?
 
//I'm not needing of her. You are her! Hikari snap out of this!//
 
Hiei screamed. He had been hit and it hurt like dozens upon dozens of paper cuts. I focused on that too much, I didn't see it coming. A large vine littered in thorns wrapped around him. He held back another cry, the thorns bit deep.
 
The vine moved agonizingly slow, people of all ages ran past him as it dragged. They screamed, but none seemed hurt, yet. All he could do was watch. Nothing could get through the vine. His fire didn't burn it, and he couldn't phase through it as he had done accidentally so many times with other objects.
 
Finally the vine held Hiei, upside down in the air, face to face with Hikari.
 
“Hikari,” he croaked his throat suddenly dry. She was just like before. When
she'd torn apart a demon with her bare hands, when fire had been at her disposal.
 
“…`Kari,” He choked as the vines constricted, digging the thorns further in.
 
Hiei screamed again and blood began to finally drip from between the vines. It stained the green shirt, marring his face. He opened his eyes, unaware that they had been closed at all. Blood red eyes gazed painfully into……a green one and a blue one…both belonging in the same face.
 
Hikari sniffed the air, blood, a scent….a familiar scent. It mixed with the blood so thoroughly it almost overwhelmed her.
 
Hiei
 
Shut up
 
It's Hiei
 
Shut up! It isn't him!
 
It has to be! It's Hiei…He's……bleeding!
 
Shut up! He's an enemy! Ignore the de-
 
“H…..Hi….HIEI!!!” Hikari screamed. Put him down, she thought desperately, Put him down! The vines moved and slithered and gently lowered Hiei to the ground. Unwrapping itself, pulling the thorns from where they had been sheathed and bringing more blood, the plant withered in seconds. Hikari didn't think, she jumped down, landed wrong twisting her ankle, and ran to Hiei, despite the shooting pain.
 
“Hiei,” she whispered, choking back a sob. People screamed. The plants now lashed out wildly, drawing blood from any around.
 
……… Tell Them To Stop And They Will……
 
Hikari's eyes widened. What? She didn't have time to ponder, a vine lashed out now at a particular red headed girl. Hikari's newest, and now only, friend ran from vines Hikari herself had accidentally and unknowingly summoned.
 
“Stop!” The vine stopped. All the plants stopped. How?
 
You asked, they stopped……
 
“Whaa…” No one was around. Everyone had fled. The smell of blood invaded her again and this time she gagged. It was so thick in the air.
 
“Hiei…” she looked at him. Tears entered her two differently colored eyes, and Hiei's looked up at her.
 
“You're alive!” He didn't answer, his eyes slid shut.
 
“Hiei? Hiei!” She put her hands on him, forgetting the wounds that now colored her hands red with blood. A glow encased them.
 
“Please Hiei, what's going on? I need you to answer me that!” she sobbed.
 
The blood flow from the cuts slowed and stopped. The holes in his skin healed and closed. The glow and energy healing him did not stop there. It spread in waves to everyone in the area of town, healing those hit in the attack, and those who didn't even know about it. Hikari didn't notice a thing. Her eyes were shut tight, fighting tears. Hiei's opened.
 
“Hi…kari?” His voice soft, hoarse. He blinked. Could've sworn she suddenly had ears. He swallowed thickly. She does, she does have ears…… like Annai's were. Peeking from Hikari's brownish auburn hair, two ears drooped. Two large wolfish ears. Don't have a tail. I'm seeing things if she doesn't have a- A tail swished at her side, the fur as auburn as her hair and ears. Did she have those with the fire? Hiei's eyes widened. She did, oh Kami-sama, what is she?!
 
“You're alive! Oh god above, you're alive!” Hikari suddenly laughed.
 
“I…can't…move,” It took everything out of him to speak.
 
“Its okay, their bringing help.” I'm fine you idiot,…… it just hurts too much to move and I can't really feel my limbs anymore.
 
“Don't waste time waiting for them. We're heading back.” Hiei looked up and Hikari looked over, Annai stood at their side.
 
“But school? And Hiei's hurt. Annai I'm not-”
 
“He's not hurt as bad as you think. They've canceled school,” Would've brought you home anyways, “Everyone's heading home.” Hikari looked over to Hiei, his green shirt stained with the deep crimson blood.
 
“But he….can't move.”
 
“Don't worry about it. I'll carry him.” Hiei's eye twitched. Hell no! Annai knelt down to Hiei.
 
“I'm not happy about his either,” he murmured, “Hikari's worried though, and those vines with thorns paralyze for a period of time. It'll stop soon enough but-”
 
“Just do it. I'm paralyzed, ne?” Hiei muttered. I can't stop you. Hikari won't stop you. Annai lifted him up. Hiei glared at Annai, Annai glared back.
 
“Fire, now plants. What's next?”
 
“Who knows, kid, who knows?”
 
~*~*~*~*~
 
Annai's words were true, for the paralysis wore off before Hikari could become worried. Fire, plants, even a healer. What is she? Well at least she hasn't noticed the ears yet…or tail. Indeed, Hikari walked around blissfully unaware of the tail or ears. How she was doing that, neither he nor Annai could figure. Come to think of it, I…I know she had them before too. Did I forget them because they disappeared right away? Damn.
 
Hiei looked down. Annai was below on the deck, seemingly as troubled as he. Annai knew something, he knew before when the fire started. Hiei, determination glinting in his scarlet eyes, jumped down. Startled by his sudden appearance, Annai stumbled backwards landing on his backside. Glaring at Hiei, Annai set his mouth in a scowl.
 
“Don't do that.”
 
“Why? I scare you?”
 
“No, kid, you didn't.” Hiei's eye twitched for the third time that day.
 
“I'm not a `kid'.”
 
“Whatever….What did you want?”
 
Hiei hesitated; did he really want to share his thoughts with him? I don't have a choice. I have to protect Hikari and I can't do that………if I don't know what's going on.
 
“What the he-”
 
“Ahhhhhhh,” a screamed echoed. Hiei shuttered, Annai gulped.
 
“She found the ears,” they whispered together.
 
“And what's that?!!”
 
“And the tail,” they muttered once more. Hiei looked over to Annai.
 
“Do you have an explanation?” Hiei looked to Annai. Annai shrugged.
 
“I can think of one on the go,” Another shout.
 
“Good.”
 
Hikari stood in front of a mirror. Her eyes were wide, focused on the swishing of her “tail” and the large “ears” atop her head. All but hyperventilating, she was forced to sit down. Hiei peeked his head in first.
 
“H- Hiei,”
 
“Hai?”
 
“What the hell is going on?!”
 
“You know, I think that is the first time she's used `hell' in a sentence,” Annai remarked with a smile. Hiei elbowed him in the gut.
 
“Baka! Not now!”
 
“Fine, fine,” he grumbled.
 
“Annai! Answer me?!” Annai sighed and walked in.
 
“What are you going to say?” Annai ignored Hiei, walking closer to Hikari.
 
“Annai,” she whimpered, scared. Annai paused, Hiei watched sympathy flicker in his violet hues, before he knocked Hikari out. Hiei took a few moments to comprehend what had happened.
 
“That's your brilliant answer?!”
 
“There was nothing more I could do. When she wakes up, tell her she fell asleep. She'll think she dreamed it all.”
 
“Brilliant,” Hiei said sarcastically, “but what about her ears and that damn tail?!” he demanded. Annai shrugged.
 
“Not my department”
 
“Not….my…department? What do you mean `Not my department'?!”
 
“It's mine,” a female voice answered. Hiei whipped around. How'd she sneak up on me?! Golden yellow irises bored into him. His eyes widened and his body refused to move.
 
“It is you. You lived,” she whispered. Hiei's mouth opened, but no sound passed. He managed a step back. She walked forward long curly white hair swayed as she moved. When in front of him, she knelt and placed a hand on his cheek.
 
“Hello again.” THWACK! Hiei slumped towards her.
 
“Traumatize him, why don't you!” Annai yelled. He looked closer at her face. A…she…a smile!
 
“It's the same one, I take it.”
 
“There is only one.” Kathrine's voice was solemn.
 
“Why are they both unconscious?!” Hiro demanded as he walked into the room.
 
“Are they okay?” he asked softer this time, moving auburn bangs from his eyes.
 
“They will be. Hiro, youngling-”
 
“I'm not a child anymore, Kathrine,” Hiro muttered, face reddening.
 
“They'll be fine. Kath, would you just hurry it up?”
 
“Sure. Annai? Are you well?”
 
“I'll explain once you've finished.” Kathrine nodded, though still obviously unsure about Annai's health.
 
*********
 
“She's got a lot more of her father's blood then we thought,” Annai murmured. Hiro had carried Hikari into another room, Annai carried Hiei. Now they sat in the living room. The two others could see just how worn out Annai was.
 
“It's not possible, Annai. Her mother's blood should have diluted the power her father's would have gifted her with,” Katherine whispered.
 
“Could it be this town, Onee-chan?” Hiro asked her.
 
“This town is strange, but no, I don't believe so.”
 
“Fire, plants, healing abilities. That three! You know that Hiro!? Three of them. The way they show up, violently, it's all….” Annai shuddered, pulling his legs to his chest. Bad memories were surfacing. Hiro moved to his brother and gently placed arms around him.
 
“All these things caused you trouble, ne?”
 
“Yes,” Annai chuckled, “They did.”
 
“You needn't worry, either of you. I doubt she'll gain anything more. It's a mere coincidence. And there was nothing to be gained from her mother. Poor girl's a half demon with too much to handle.” Hiro looked away sadly.
 
“Don't feel bad for her, Ototo,” Annai whispered, “She's a fine girl, she reminds me of you. So she's something special, her mother's the reason she's got problems.”
 
“Don't blame this all on her!” Kathrine sighed. Please Hiro; get over her, your love was never requited.
 
“We ahhh…” Annai started.
 
“Hai?” Hiro and Kathrine looked over to him.
 
“We have bigger problems.”
 
“Bigger problems then Hikari's demonic side acting up?”
 
“She's……Hikari is….I don't know how…..” Annai sputtered.
 
“Oh spit it out, `Niisan.” Annai continued to sputtered, unsure how to phrase his next words.
 
**********
 
Hikari slept deep in the other room, though Hiei's sleep wasn't as peaceful. His sleep was disturbed by old memories, spawned by the woman standing in the other room.
 
“Kath….” He muttered in sleep.
 
**********
 
“Oh come on, Annai! Speak!” Kathrine exasperatedly spoke.
 
“Hiro…” Annai whispered to the boy, who cocked his head and stared intensely.
 
“Hiro, my Ototo, she asked about her father, and I don't know what to answer. I have no answers.”
 
~*~*~*~*~*~
Well……Chapter 8! YES! Wondering what Kathrine Annai and Hiro want with Hikari? Or how about where Hiei's met Kathrine? Well that'll come soon. I've got a lot of surprises for this story and now things are going to really heat up…..Ever wonder were Hikari's parents have been all this time? I mean they were in the first and third and the sixth chapters but really they haven't made much of an appearance, ne? In my hometown St. Patrick's Day is huge though I don't think there are a lot of Irish in town. We have people in school who go around pinching others who don't have green on that day. Well MORE SURPRISES!!!!!!! R&R Ja ne!!!!