Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ The Phoenix of Templar ❯ Her Story ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

It had felt like ages since Kurama and Yuusuke had dumped her in the pitch black room they had called the training room. She didn't understand the purpose of calling it training because it was so dark. Maybe one of them was blind or visually challenged?
 
Huddled in a ball in the center of the room she sat listening to the silence of the room. No wind blew through the room but her own breath and from the feel of it she was completely alone. She had to get out of here soon or she might as well go crazy. Uncurling herself she took a meditation squat and closed her eyes to start forming a way to free herself from her current prison and to then get some suitable clothing. The shredded Kimono she was wearing wasn't exactly something she would want to go prancing around the streets with. So focused on her meditation she girl lost track of the world around her and end up sealing herself in her mind for the time being.
 
The soft slide of a door being opened echoed through the large training room as a young woman with teal hair pulled the door open and glanced in. “Excuse me?” she called out of the girl in the chamber.
 
It took the girl a moment to realize she had imagined the voice coming from the doorway and eventually opened her eyes to be greeted by blinding light and fresh air. Finally her eyes adjusted to the light and she looked up to the girl bathed in sunlight. Blinking a few times she hesitated but eventually came to her feet.
“Yukina? Is that you?”
 
“Rin-chan?” Yukina stepped forward with a smile. “They didn't tell me it was you who they locked in here!”
 
Rin rushed forward like a child running to their parents and gave Yukina the biggest bear hug she could muster. “I'm so happy to see you!”
 
“Me too!” Yukina said eagerly returning the hug. “How have you been all these years?”
 
“Horrible.” Rin replied without a second thought. “I'll tell you about it later. It's an awfully long story.” Rin smiled to hide the real pain behind her mask.
 
Yukina nodded in understanding then glanced down at her attire. “I think we should go and get you a new outfit…”
 
“I'll be fine for now. But, do you have anything to eat?” Rin asked sheepishly as her tummy growled.
 
“Yes, of course. Come on, I'll show you too the kitchen.” Yukina took Rin's hand in her own and lead her towards the kitchen with a smile.
 
A quick trip to the kitchen and Rin and Yukina were chatting up a storm filling each other in on what had happened to each other since the last time they had met. Seating comfortably at the Kitchen table they both sat with a tea cup in their hands and happy smiles.
 
“How have you and your brother been?” Yukina asked as she put a small scoop of sugar in her tea.
“Well I don't know much of what Jin has been up too since he entered the Dark tournament. He's probably training so he could spare with Yuusuke again.” Rin said with grin as she sipped at her tea.
 
“Oh, that's your brother? I didn't think that your brother could look so different from you… Speaking of looks you changed your hair, didn't you? The Last time I saw you it was much longer and a brilliant sparkling silver.” Yukina asked as she too sipped away at her tea.
 
“Yes. It's not my own choice though. It all happened quite unexpectedly.” Rin said as a flash of sadness crossed her eyes. Shaking her head her smile returned. “It'll only be temporary. As soon as I find the one known as Hiei I'll be back to normal. Height, Hair, body and all.”
 
“Now that you mention it… You did shrink.” Yukina said with a curious look in her eyes.
 
“I know. That's what pisses me off most about the recent changes. I was a foot taller only two years ago! I wish I was the same height now as I was then…” Rin sighed and chugged the rest of her tea. “Oh well, what's in the past can't be changed and only dealt with in the present.”
 
“Please tell me, what happened to you?” Yukina insisted as she too finished her cup of tea.
 
“…” Rin glanced to the door of the kitchen, the sneaking suspicion that they were being listened to growing ever noticeable. “Do you know some where we can talk, in private?” There was a thud outside the closed door and the sound of running feet. Rin shook her head then turned to Yukina who promptly nodded.
 
Venturing out into the forest and away from the temple Yukina and Rin traveled slowly but silently. It was obvious Yukina was worried at least a little bit about Rin due to her eagerness to know what had happened in the past few years. Rin knew it was a long story that Yukina wouldn't want to know in full detail so on their trip she formed a shortened version in her head.
 
Away from the temple and deep in the forest Yukina stopped at the edge of a vast meadow. Gazing around Yukina at the meadow Rin spotted a large Cherry Tree with two wooden swings hanged from broad branches on either side. Rin smiled and took off for the tree with Yukina in tow. “This place is beautiful Yukina! How did you find it?”
 
“Genkai showed it to me not too long ago,” Yukina answered as she came to a halt at one of the swings and plopped onto the seat.
 
“Wow.” Rin whispered as she perched on her own swing and began to sway back and forth. “Well I guess I should start my tale.”
 
“Alright, I'm all ears.” Yukina said as she too began to glide through the air on her swing.
 
“It all started a few years ago…” Rin slowly lifted her gaze to the sky to watch the clouds float by. “I had committed a crime against the Spirit World that was great enough to have my spirit locked away for eternity. While on death row I challenged King Enma to a bet. I said, “If I can overcome the strongest beast you can throw at me you will let me live for as long as I wish. If not, my soul will be at your eternal service.” Rin let out a long sigh.
 
“At the time I had been stronger then an S class demon and plenty strong enough to beat almost anyone on the Makai Plains. I thought I was invincible, so invincible that I could defeat Enma himself. I was extremely foolish back then and was to over confident. King Enma knew this. He knew I was powerful but, he also knew I was inexperienced. In order to claim another servant and to be sure he would have another servant he pitted me against the very beast that had destroyed the Netherworld in the great battle from ages ago.”
 
“A Beast?” Yukina suddenly interrupted.
 
“Yes, a beast. The dreaded Phoenix of Templar. A bird so powerful it was sealed in its own world by King Enma and his disciples because they could not kill it once it turned on them after the battle with the netherworld.” Rin stopped her swing and turned her eyes to the ground.
 
“I was so foolish; it showed clearly once the battle started. I was easily defeated by him, the phoenix. Laying there pinned to the ground I could feel my freedom slipping away from me, but the phoenix had a different idea. Saving my body from the flames that threatened to send me to the next world it offered me a deal. He could let me die and send my soul into eternal service of the Spirit World or he could save me from the torment of knowing I failed… On one condition. He would become part of my body so he could leave his world and prison after he had done such a favor to the Spirit World of defeating their enemy.” Rin's grasp on the swing's braided ropes tightened turning her knuckles white. “Of course I accepted his offer. I wasn't about to become anyone's servant.”
 
“That doesn't sound too bad.” Yukina said with a small smile.
 
“That's not all. I can't control his grasp over my body. His power is too much for my body to handle let alone my demonic energy. Slowly he saps away at my energy in order to claim my body as his own so he may roam the human world freely and without restraint to the Spirit World… In order to save myself I must learn to control the Phoenix inside me and to do that I must find the one known as Hiei and receive his help.” Rin sighed and stood up on her swing. “I must find him soon or else the power of the beast will overwhelm me and send my soul into a dormant state while his is free to wander the world. I don't know what he will do but from the tales of his first appearance in our dimension I can only guess he will attempt to control the three worlds: The Human World, Makai, and the Spirit World. Once he is released I fear that only Yuusuke, Hiei and perhaps Yoko Kurama put together may be able to defeat him. Just the thought keeps me awake at night…”
 
Yukina hopped off her swing and rounded the tree to look up at Rin with slight shock. “The Phoenix… Is it his powers that have caused your body to change to dramatically?”
 
“Yes. I've lost my powers and my demonic appearance has disappeared. My Wings have disappeared, my hair has changed color and texture, my eyes and skin have also been altered in color and my body has been shrinking so I will need less energy to maintain it. I don't know if I'll get taller once I overcome this beast but I dearly hope so. I've already shrank over a foot. My time runs thin…” Rin looked up to the unopened blossoms of the cheery tree. “I should imagine that when this tree next sets buds I will be locked away and the phoenix will have control. Unless of course Hiei agrees to help me…”