Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ The Right Thing ❯ Chapter IV ( Chapter 4 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

The Right Thing:

Chapter 4

Soft golden sunlight stole silently through the frosty windowpane, giving the two youths an ethereal glow as they lay sleeping on the couch. Two muscular chests rose and fell in unison and a pair of hands lay intertwined on one of the cushions. The only sound in the room was soft breathing and the occasional sound of a car outside.

Stirring slightly, Kuwabara yawned loudly and sat up, finding one of his hands clutched tightly in Yusuke's. Smiling fondly, he gently disentangled the smaller boy's hand and stared down in wonder at his newfound love. The light bathed him with a golden glow that was almost magical and his chest rose and fell rhythmically beneath a white t-shirt.

Not quite knowing what to do, Kuwabara got up and paced quietly around the room in stocking feet, taking the time to think things over. It had all happened so fast. He had only come here to give Urameshi back his wallet and before he knew it, he had been sucked into his screwed up love life. And then there was the kissing…

Shaking his head he stopped dead in his tracks when Yusuke suddenly appeared in front of him. Startled, all he could mange to get out was, "Uh…good morning?"

Laughing, Yusuke threw his arms around Kuwabara's solid neck and hugged him tight. "Morning Kuwabara!" he exclaimed, all previous anguish seemingly gone.

Hugging him hesitantly back, Kuwabara jumped a little when he felt soft lips lightly caressing his neck. Yusuke laughed again and ran his tongue along Kuwabara's jaw line, eliciting a soft groan from the taller boy. Burying his fingers deep in Kuwabara's silky hair, Yusuke clung tightly to him. "Thanks, man," he whispered in the orange-haired boy's ear.

"No…problem…" Kuwabara whispered back, distracted by the feel of the Spirit Detective's steamy breath tickling his ear.

Just then, the front door opened and the two boys sprang apart. Yusuke's mom stumbled in, looking more then slightly drunk, and flopped down on the couch. "Make me some tea Yusuke," she said, her words slightly slurred as she waved her hand towards the kitchen.

"Lazy bitch…" Yusuke muttered under his breath as he headed towards the kitchen, Kuwabara following close behind and grabbing his jacket as he went.

Once they were in the kitchen, Kuwabara slung his jacket over his shoulder and slipped an arm around Yusuke's waist. "I'm gonna leave now Urameshi. See ya later." And he squeezed the slender boy's waist tightly before letting go and heading towards the door.

"Kuwabara…."Yusuke said as the taller boy half-turned back to face him. "Thanks again," he said awkwardly.

Nodding, Kuwabara left the kitchen and Yusuke's house. Once outside, he heaved a huge sigh and watched as his breath clouded the air in front of his face. Shivering slightly, he put his jacket back on and wished fervently for the warmth of Yusuke's arms.

Warmth of Yusuke's arm?! He shook his head furiously. What was he thinking?! Urameshi was his friend and a guy at that! What had come over him last night; why had he…His thoughts trailed off as the memories of their kisses came flooding back into his mind. Even though he was alone on the street in the early dawn, his cheeks flared with heat. What had he done?

Walking quickly, he left Yusuke's house far behind as he headed into the early morning fog. It swirled gently around his legs and tickled his nose as his steps took him towards the park. There was one secluded spot he had discovered one day when he was kid, in the middle of a grove of trees, where almost no one ever came and whenever he needed time to be alone, he always went there.

Now, more then five years later, things still had not changed; Kuwabara still went to his secret little spot whenever he need to think things over.

And boy did he have a lot to think about. Images of Yusuke kept bombarding his brain and his senses felt like they were on sensual overload. He slumped down beneath a tree, resting his back against the strong, rough-barked trunk and sighing, resting his head in his hands. Things had all happened so fast! What was he supposed to do now? What did Yusuke see in all this? More importantly, what did he want from all this?

The cool morning air chilled his arms and froze the tip of his nose, yet he could not bring himself to get up and go home. He couldn't leave, not until he had figured this out. Muttering curses against the skies above, he pulled his jacket around his shoulders and shivered slightly, still mulling things over in his mind.

Another hour found Kuwabara still sitting beneath the oak tree, head once more in his hands. The only thing that had changed was the boy's temperature; he was now officially freezing. Getting up stiffly, he decided he could figure the rest of this out at home, with a cup of tea or some soup or something. Buttoning the blue school jacket, he trudged down the sidewalk, meeting more then a few people now that the sun was up, and averting his face from the wind.

It was because of this that he failed to note the slender form until it was too late. With a loud "Oof!" he stumbled and whirled around to face the offender, curses and insults sitting on the edge of his tongue, ready to fly off the moment he saw the person. Needless to say, when he met a pair of sharp, crystal green eyes, the swear words died in his mouth. "Kurama?" he asked incredulously.

The fox boy smiled. "Hello Kuwabara," he said amiably. "What are you doing here? I thought you lived almost on the opposite side of town."

"I do," Kuwabara answered. "I was just in the park is all. I'm heading home right now in fact," he added.

Kurama nodded. "Why were you in the park on such a cold day?" he asked, gently probing the other boy's mind. He had caught a glimpse of something in Kuwabara's eyes, a kind of confusion almost, maybe unease.

"Um…I just had some stuff I wanted to think about," the taller teen replied, averting his eyes. "That's all."

"Mmm," Kurama murmured, nodding in agreement, yet keeping his penetrating gaze on Kuwabara.

Shifting nervously under the kitsune's stare, he finally spat out, "I was just over at Urameshi's place, alright?!" He switched from foot to foot, still avoiding Kurama's gaze, the pink tinge to his cheeks not only from the cold.

Eyes widening, Kurama inhaled sharply. At Yusuke's place? What would Kuwabara be doing there? He couldn't possibly know about…could he? Deciding to take this a step further, he ignored Kuwabara's startled glance and motioned for the boy to follow him. "Come on Kuwabara, my house isn't far from here and you look pretty cold. I'll get you something warm, ok?"

Nodding suspiciously, Kuwabara followed the slender red-head, making a mental note to himself not to mention Yusuke around Kurama from now on and vice versa.