Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ The Silverfox and the Youko ❯ Just one chance ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I do not own any of the YuYu Hakusho characters, but Keiana, the old lady, and the cat are mine.

Ch. 1: Just one chance

With a silent cry of pain, a shadowy figure limped her way to the front door of a random house. Her Arctic blue eyes flashed in a mixed emotion of anger, sadness, inner knowing, and anticipation. But she was happy, happy she could summon whatever strength she had left to do this for the small bundle in her arms. But then again, she couldn't, or she was afraid to do this. What if she was wrong? What if the occupant of this home was not as good-natured and trusting as she seems. There's not much a mother silver fox can do at such a time of desperation. She gently laid the small life down in front of the door and placed a neckless on top of the blankets and rags that fit so snugly around her sleeping child. The silver chain neckless had a silver fox latched on it. It was standing on all fours, ears erect, tails low, and eyes wide open as if to scan it's surroundings.

The mother fox caressed her child's face for the last time. She then rapped at the door of the house, loud enough for the human inside to hear. Thus the hours were late, so the human inside was most likely asleep, but she heard. Before she could get to the door, the mother fox was gone, gone back to a place to fight a war that had been going on for centuries, and this time there will be a winner, but it will not be the silver foxes.

The elderly human woman could not see whoever had left these rags on her porch, and thought of it as some kind of prank, but when she heard a soft cry, she thought upon the possibilities of the bundle of rags being something more than just. She slowly kneeled down to them and gently brought the bundle up to her chest and cradled it. As she had suspected, it was a child, abandon on such a cold night at such a perfect time. The old woman was a widow, and all of the kids had left the house, but now she has a chance to not be alone anymore. She'll take this child in, despite the little fangs, claws, and other features that clearly said that this child was a demon of some sort. Keeping this child shut off from the rest of the world with no exceptions would be extremely important for this kit's welfare even though she could end it here and now, but she didn't. In fact, she felt privileged, no matter what the circumstances and the consequences may be, something or someone has called upon her to do such a thing that no one else in the free world would ever have the chance to do. The woman felt something cold on the blanket. She looked at it. It was in the shape of some animal and had writing on it. She turned it around and saw that the animal was a fox of some kind. She flipped it back over to read the writing that was on the back of it.

"Keiana." she whispered. The woman looked down into the fiery brown, almost red eyes of the fox kit.

"Well, you're my little Keiana now." The woman chuckled and kissed the cooing child's forehead. The old lady stood up with the child in her arms and walked back into the warm house. This, for them would be the beginning of the beginning.