Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ The Silverfox and the Youko ❯ The expected, yet unwanted ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Ch.2: The expected, yet unwanted

There was a meeting going on in the makai, but not just any meeting. Mainly, there were hunters attending this meeting and they all were very worked up about something. The youkai spoke of a fox. This fox had survived an event that was thought to have made her species 'extinct'.

"So, where has this silver fox been hiding for 15 years?" a hunter youkai asked.

"Apparently, it has been hiding safely amidst the humans. She is a very young kitsune, so it's been figured that someone took her there when she was a kit." another replied. The hunter youkai cleared his throat.

"Have you located the kitsune?" he asked.

"Yes." the other replied. The hunter demon liked that answer very much and didn't even bother to be told where exactly the kitsune was hiding.

"Retrieve her," he said, " but I want her alive." he quickly added with a sinister tone in his voice.

"Aye, sir." the other demon replied without question. He gathered a few buddies to go down to earth to bring the kitsune back to reality.

*************************************************************** ***************

This is how it's been for her in the past, 11of her15 years; wake up early in the morning and eat breakfast, practice Martial Arts, after a good stretch, until her grandmother called her down for home schooling. That lasted a few hours, maybe until almost late noon. She took an hour break for food, rest, or 'homework'. Then she went back to practicing Martial Arts for as long as she wanted (having dinner in between) and the rest of the night was all to herself.

This schedule was normal enough for her, but she wished she wasn't so different from everyone else. Keiana was very lonely, even though her grandmother bought an adorable black kitten for her so she wouldn't be so lonely, but that was 5 years ago. By now Akila had set his ways and wasn't as playful as he use to be, but he enjoyed a game of 10 second tag every once in a while. But without him, Keiana would be plenty more lonely, and as she got up out of bed, she rubbed his ears automatically as something of a morning greeting. He tilted his head and purred. She had a bathroom in her room, so he watched as she prepared for her normal morning rituals, brushing her teeth, taking a shower, blow-drying her long black hair with silver highlights. Her hair use to be all silver, but as she got older, it started turning black. All of this meant nothing to Akila, except she had a respect for personal cleanliness which he didn't mind at all, cats being one of the cleanest animals on earth. But he knew that after she groomed her hair, she normally went to the closet to find something to wear that was appropriate for the day, and today being Saturday she has plenty of chores to do. Keiana took out grey sweat pants and a long white t-shirt to start off with.

"Keiana-chan, have you seen my other pink slipper?" her grandma asked peeking into the room.

"Uh, no, sobo-san." Keiana replied. Then Akila let out a light mew and jumped off the bed, out from under him fell a pink slipper. He casually walked up and swatted at Keiana's black and white fox tail and walked out of the room. Sobo-san scoffed at the ill-mannered feline and went for her slipper.

" Well, sobo-san, what's it today? What do ya need me to do first." Keiana said, eager to start her day of chores.

"What? Oh, well, today I was thinking I would just let you, you know, take a break." her grandma suggested with a shrug. Keiana stood and stared at her grandma for a second, then she went to sit on the bed next to her. She leaned toward her grandma with a mischievous grin.

"Can I go into fox form for the day?" she asked, hoping sobo-san would say yes.

"Oh no, you know I only let you do that when I have people over."

"Oh, please sobo-san, I promise I'll be good." Keiana insisted.

"Okay, just this once." her grandma reluctantly said.

"Domo, sobo-san, you're the best." Keiana exclaimed and hugged her grandma.

*************************************************************** ***************

The cat was acting very strangely indeed. He helplessly paced around the house, mewing non-stop. You'd think the whole day of rough housing with Keiana's fox form would burn him out, but he still found the strength to mercilessly meow and pace. They'd turn him away every time he went to try to tell them what's on his mind, but the communication barrier was a major weakness for him. Keiana would be able to understand him if she would just listen, but she just didn't know how, and she never really tried. 'If only, if only', he said to himself as he watched Keiana, now back in human form, perform her night rituals to get ready to sleep for this night to the next morning; maybe.

"What's up with you tonight? Did I let you have too much catnip?" Keiana pondered out loud as she walked up to her bed. He just mewed innocently raising a paw. Something was very convincing about his expression, but she just couldn't put her claw on it, so she just shrugged it off and patted his head. He didn't purr like usual. Instead he dipped his head down low and looked directly into her eyes. With that, he let out a long mournful meow that would wake up a whole household and have them in fear. A loud crashing sound was heard downstairs that frightened Keiana to death. 'Grandma' was all she could think of before she dashed out of the room and leaped downstairs. Akila had followed closely behind her, but didn't stop when she stopped to peek around the door. There wasn't much she could do for him as he leaped in the air at a demon who was shaking sobo-san, trying to get her to tell him where someone was. The demon turned around with a shot-gun and a loud nauseating sound came from it. The cat was thrown back with mighty force. He didn't move at all. Keiana shrieked at the sight of her best friend lying motionless, heavily bleeding. She ran up to him to try to revive him, but before she could even pick him up, someone with big strong hands grabbed her around the back of her neck and dragged her into the living area where two other demons, and her grandma were. The demon who was interrogating sobo-san, threw her against the wall, but Keiana wouldn't have it. In a short wave of anger, she elbowed the youkai's stomach and tried to run to her grandma's aid, but another demon grabbed her and would not let her do so. Instead, a sharp blow to the head temporarily ended it there for Keiana and her world went black.

***************************************************************** *************

The lead hunter demon waited impatiently for the other demons to return with the kitsune.

"What's taking them so long?" he grumbled. Then a big portal appeared in front of him. The kitsune was thrown from it and she hit the ground with a loud thud. The other three demons emerged from the portal and it disappeared.

"Good job." the demon said as he kneeled down to examine the kitsune who was beginning to come to. Another demon raised his rifle and pointed it towards her.

"Wait, stupid," he yelled raising a hand up, "why would you want to kill the last silver fox?" he said with an evil grin. The other youkai shrugged and shook their heads.

"Just think, we can get rich off of this fox. Ya know what I mean?" he said with a slight nod of the head.

"Oh, I see. Nobody has seen a silver fox since the massacre, so after15 years, people would probably pay to see 'the last silver fox'." one of the other youkai explained.

"Yeah, that would be why I wanted you to bring her to me alive." the lead youkai said sarcastically.

"And if we are going to show her, I think it best to do it two nights from now." one other youkai said.

"And why is that?" the lead youkai asked.

"Because two nights from now is the night of the full moon. Everyone knows how the silver fox is associated with the full moon."

Keiana didn't know what was going to happen to her and neither did she know what to do. This was all so suddenly new to her. If she cooperated, the demons probably wouldn't hurt her, so that's what she did.