Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ THE WOLVES OF MUSHIYORI CITY ❯ The B-Team ( Chapter 13 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

CHAPTER 13: THE B-TEAM
 
 
 
Yusuke Urameshi dug under the cushions of his couch for a hidden pack of cigarettes while Kuwabara waited with decreasing patience.
"I'm sure you've heard this from your girlfriend but no means no, Kuwabara. In your case it means hell no." Yusuke reached further into the couch until it was up to his elbow until he finally found his contraband.
He pulled out one of his cigarettes and pointed to his fire escape.
"Keiko still won't let you smoke in the house?"
"Keiko won't let me smoke. Period."
Kuwabara responded by making whiplash sounds.
"Now there's really no way I'm helping you. Hope you enjoy turning back demon invasions by your lonesome, Kuwabara."
 
Yusuke looked around as he waited for a response from Kuwabara to find him missing. He returned a moment later holding Yusuke's son Yukio.
"C'mon, Daddy," Kuwabara said in his best fake baby voice. "Do uncle Kuwabara this favor and I won't tell mommy about your smoking." Kuwabara gave the child a shocked look then turned to Yusuke. "Man, that's a cutthroat son you got there, Urameshi. I'd listen to him if I were you."
Yusuke blew a stream of smoke in the opposite direction of his son. "Sorry, kid, uncle Kuwabara's on his own."
While he didn't find Kuwabara's previous ventriloquist act funny Yusuke did smile when Kuwabara made his son give him an obscene gesture before returning him to bed.
 
"That's a well-behaved kid, man. Are you sure he's yours? About a year ago Kurama came to do your taxes. Something could have happened."
"I sometimes wonder. The kid becomes a redhead we'll know for sure. Speaking of Kurama, are you going to work on him next? If you can get him away from his old lady you deserve some sort of medal."
"Hannah's working on it. So, what's the word?"
"Tell you what....if there's nothing good on tv I'll help you out."
Kuwabara tried to hide his victory smile but failed and felt he had to make a dig at his friend to cover it up. "God help Mushiyori City if Grappler Baki comes on."
 
.....
 
Although she was friends with both Kurama and his new wife, Hannah always had reservations about entering their apartment. Her friend from junior high school Kei had always been the calm type much like Kurama but Hannah found that together they projected a state of serenity not found even in most Buddhist temples.
The scent of lavender and roses filled the air from one of the other rooms converted into a garden as Kurama brewed a tea Hannah had forgotten the name of.
Unlike the apartment she and Kuwabara shared there weren't a multitude of cats wandering around or an almost constant stream of music or the sound of Kuwabara cooking. It was meticulously clean and quiet and it made Hannah calm and at the same time uneasy.
That is why she prefered to deal with Kei or Kurama one on one. Together she found them so calming it was disturbing.
 
"What's this?"
"Cammomile tea. So, to what do I owe this pleasure, Hannah?"
"A one night only demon invasion. Kazuma said you'd be down."
Kurama sipped his tea and looked to Hannah as if he deflated slightly. She braced for bad news.
"Only if there is no other way. My life now revolves around Kei and hopefully in time around our children. The heierarchy of my life now goes Family and friends, my plants, my work and lastly myself in that order. If Mitarai cannot handle this I will gladly step in, but only as a last resort."
 
Hannah sighed and shook Kurama's hand. "Kurama, either you've done a lot of growing up after getting married or Kei's been whipping the shit out of you."
Kurama took Hannah's whipped husband jokes with the same tolerance he took Yusuke's and Kuwabara's attempts at humor at his expense. "I've just reassessed my priorities, that's all. By the way, is it true that Kuwabara has a latent homo-sexual attraction to Mitarai?"
She could only gape and spill her tea on Kurama's carpet before composing a response. "I should have known not to get into a battle of wits with you."
"It's not your fault. You did come unarmed, after all."
 
They traded back-handed compliments and snide put-downs until Kuwabara showed up.
"If you two are finished cat figthing I'd like to go home now."
"What put you in such a bitchy mood?" Hannah asked. "Yusuke make you run his errands for him again?"
Kuwabara answered by lowering his tired body next to Hannah on Kurama's couch and propping his feet on his coffee table.
Kurama offered him some cammomile tea.
"Camel mile tea? Sure, Kurama. Just don't be stingy with the pepermint schnapps."