Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Thieves ❯ A new Enemy ( Chapter 13 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Woo hoo! I am back! Sorry, between schoolwork, marching band, and show choir, I just haven't had any time. In any case, I'm back with a new chapter, so be happy. It's gonna be short, but don't kill me, I'll try to get the next one out soon…. but I'm not promising anything…. k…. on with the story.

I own nothing, got it?               

Chapter 13

A New Enemy

"Greetings, Princess." Even the Duke's voice was slimy and greasy sounding.

"You wished to see me?" Minai asked in a carefully blank voice.

"Ah, we -your father- only wished to make sure that you had held up your end of the bargain," the Duke said calmly.

"I have."

"Well, your Highness, I believe you should know what is going on here, with your people…"

Minai stopped listening as he rambled off some nonsense about the people. The princess looked at her father. The demon seemed different, not at all like the man she remembered. It was not a spell that affected him, for she could not feel any trace of demonic or spiritual power. She glanced at her uncle. She remembered him now; he had always been a conniving, vindictive demon who went by the name Kage.

"So you see, Princess, there is nothing for you to worry about."

"Yes, I see that. If there is nothing else…?" she inquired politely.

Kage shook his head. "You may leave."

Minai stepped out of the room. She closed the door a stood for a long moment, her back pressed against it. I don't trust him. Something must be wrong! Minai turned and quickly headed for her room.

*                      &nb sp;                       *                      &nb sp;                       *

"Lady Minai, what did the Duke want?" Kalani asked.

"I believe t determine how much of a threat I was," Minai said thoughtfully. Something is going on here… but it's more than it seems, I'm sure of it. So what is it?

"Lady Minai, do not worry too much. There is nothing that we can do now," Kalani said quietly.

Minai didn't answer. There wasn't much she could say. The one thing she did know was that she would never let Kage win.

Minai sat down on the edge of her bed.

"Oh, I thought you should know," Kalani said. "There is a new servant working here."

Minai blinked, failing to see how this affected her. Kalani smiled.

"Why do I feel like people are meddling in my life?" Minai asked. Kalani grinned. The princess sighed.

*                      &nb sp;                       *                      &nb sp;                       *

Minai was sitting out in the garden by her room. She was trying to think of some way to help her people. The wind blew through the bamboo around her. It was dark and quiet, just like Minai liked it.

The princess heard a sound behind her, but ignored it. She was to busy thinking to pay much attention.

"Minai?"

The princess blinked. It can't be… She turned quickly.

A very familiar, handsome, dark-haired demon stood behind her. He smiled a little. Minai blinked, coming slowly to her feet. It can't be…it can't be…but it is! She threw her arms around his neck. "Kuronue!"

He smiled and held her tightly.

"How?" Minai asked quietly.

Kuronue smiled a little more. "I had to come… I had to see you again."

Minai looked up at him. "I'm glad you're here."

"Why? What's going on?" Something about the look on her face worried him.

"I'm not sure," Minai whispered. "Something is very wrong…" The girl was silent for a moment, thinking. "Oh, no!"

"What?" Kuronue asked.

"You have to leave. If Kage finds you, he'll kill you!" Minai gasped.

"Who's Kage?"

"My uncle, the Duke."

Kuronue hesitated. "Minai, I don't want to leave you."

"Please, Kuronue, I'd rather have you be safe." Minai pleaded.

The demon hesitated. "I will come back."

"I know," Minai nodded. "Now, please, go."

Kuronue hesitated a moment longer, then turned, disappearing into the castle. He was only a short way from the exit when he came face-to face with Kage's guards.

"Heh, heh." the thief muttered, as spears and pikes were leveled at him.

 

~Okay, there it is. Sorry that it's so short, I'll update soon. Oh, and as a hint I will tell you this, the next chapter is called "Prisoner Again". I guess I'll see you then. Please review.