Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Thieves ❯ Whispers on the Wind ( Chapter 12 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Hey, sorry in advance about how short this chapter is and how long it took me to post it. I've been having some trouble writing now that I have school and three stories to work on… anyway, enough excuses… on with the story

I don't own yu yu hakusho

Chapter 12. Whispers on the Wind

"Lady Minai," Kalani said, throwing her red-black hair over her shoulder, "You must be careful now."

"Why?"

Kalani's gray eyes were dark and solemn. "The balance of power has shifted. Your uncle has become you father's advisor."

"And what does that have to do with anything?" Minai asked.

Kalani looked around quickly, looking for anyone who might hear. In an equally quick motion, she pulled Minai into a nearby room. The room was empty and Kalani swiftly shut the door.

"I fear that your uncle has cast a spell upon the king, for he will no longer listen to what any of us say," Kalani whispered. She sounded really anxious. "He only listens to the Duke."

Minai frowned. "What else has been going on, Kalani?"

The other moon demon frowned. "Many things. The Duke has made your father tax the people to the point that some cannot eat. The people are close to rebelling."

"Anything else?"

Kalani shook her head. "Not here. Someone may hear us."

~ ~ LATER ~ ~

 Minai stood on the balcony connected to her room. She absently ran her fingers over the smooth white stone of the railing. She glared at the high stonewalls that kept here there.

The girl thought about what Kalani had said. Minai had known the servant for a long time. They had been friend when Minai was little. Michiko reminded the princess a lot of them when they were younger. Minai knew Kalani, knew that the other demon would not get so anxious and afraid if something was not severely wrong.

The sweet, lilting tones of a flute drifted to Minai on the wind from over the high outer wall. There was something strange about the soft notes. Minai had heard a flute before, she'd even played one once, but this one was different, somehow more powerful. Then it hit her.

Kuronue's Cayori flute!

(A/N: the Cayori flute has a much larger role in another story of mine,  "Growing up". It has the power to unlock the magical potential of anything, but Kuro can't really use it, 'cuz he doesn't have a pure heart, k?)

Minai leaned over the railing, straining to hear or see some sign of Kuronue. However, the flutes beautiful song had ended while she was thinking. Only the sound of the wind in the trees greeted her. Minai slumped a little. She'd gotten her hopes up for nothing. There was no chance Kuronue could have been there.

Minai sighed. "I miss Kuro…" And Saira, and Kurama, and…

"Who's Kuro?" Minai whirled to find Kalani behind her. "If I my ask," the servant politely amended.

Minai sighed, more from relief than anything else.

"I'm sorry if I bothered you," Kalani said uncertainly.

"No, it's alright," Minai reassured with a smile. "You just startled me a little."

Kalani blinked.

"It's hard to explain," Minai went on. "Kuro, Kuronue, is a friend I met not long ago. He-"

"He?" Kalani asked, a hint of teasing in her eyes.

"Yes, he." Minai nodded sternly. Kalani smiled. "Come on, this may take a while," Minai said. She took a last glance at the forest before following her friend inside.

*           &nbs p;            & nbsp;           &nbs p;            & nbsp;        *            &n bsp;             ;            &n bsp;        *

Kuronue rested the Cayori flute in his lap. He sat on one of the highest limbs of a tree near his friends' camp. They were far from the castle where Kuronue had been imprisoned, and even farther from Minai's palace. Kuronue brushed a finger over the carvings of the flute as he thought. Slowly, he raised the whistle to his lips and played. The tones of the flute were forged of magic and spirit energy, and they rang clearly in the black night around the demon. No other flute sounded like his Cayori flute.

Kuronue stopped and dropped the flute back into his lap. Why did everything seem so different? He glanced at the silver charm wrapped securely around his wrist and sighed.

Whether or not he would admit it to Kurama and Saira, Kuronue missed Minai.

*           &nbs p;            & nbsp;           &nbs p;            & nbsp;        *            &n bsp;             ;            &n bsp;        *

"Come on, Lady Minai. It's time to get up," Kalani said, drawing back the curtains over the balcony door.

"Morning is far to early," Minai growled.

Kalani smiled. Suddenly she tilted one side of the bed up, knocking Minai to the floor.

"Hey!"

Kalani laughed at her. "Lady Minai, you really must get up."

"Why?" Minai asked, sitting up, curious in spite of herself.

 "The king wants to see you."

Minai was silent for a moment. "Does my father want to see me, or does the Duke?"

"You're very smart. I believe it is the Duke who really wishes for your presence." Kalani said.

Minai stood. She walked to the large cabinet on one wall, opened it, and drew out a dark blue dress. "It wouldn't be polite to keep him waiting."

*           &nbs p;            & nbsp;           &nbs p;            & nbsp;        *            &n bsp;             ;            &n bsp;        *

Minai walked quickly, her shoes tapping softly on the floor. She was anxious, no matter what she said. Her uncle was obviously not someone to trifle with. He was dangerous. She would have to watch her step.

 Minai came to the throne room, her head held high. She knocked and, slowly the door opened. Minai stepped inside the large throne room.

What did the Duke want with her?

 

Okay, short chapter, but I've been having some problems, what with school and all. I'll update as soon as possible…I kinda left you guys with a little cliffhanger… A MINI-CLIFFY! lol, sorry 'bout that. Anyway, please review and tell me what you think. Thanks!