Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Thinking Of You ❯ Fires ( Chapter 23 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Thinking Of You

I woke up. I wasn't entirely sure why I did at first, but then I smelled the air: fire.

I know that I'm a fire demon, but this situation had nothing to do with that. Something was on fire, and I hadn't started it.

I looked about me franticly. It was the nightstand by the bed, right by our heads.

I didn't think, I just acted. I tried blowing it out. No luck. I kept trying before some sliver of my brain kicked in. I looked about the room, trying to find some sort of water to throw on it. I spotted a semi-filled cup of Pepsi you hadn't finished last night. I grabbed it and threw its contents on the fire. The bulk of it went out. The fact was that almost the entire top of the nightstand was on fire, in two little blazes. The first was rather large and was reaching up to the canopy of the bed (you had just bought a canopy bed, claiming it would be romantic and fun). The second was an offshoot of the first. It extended its claws towards a hanging piece of random clothing, thrown there in the heat of the moment. I blew at the second one, barely managing to blow out the tiny blaze.

The first was smoldering and hissing as the Pepsi had been thrown at it. The entire thing wasn't out, but what was left I was able to blow out. It was dark as the fire was extinguished. I reached over you to turn on the light you had attached to one of the poles for the canopy. The room was filled with smoke.

I looked at the nightstand. There had been a Sony radio/cd player there and a couple of cds lying on the top. A rose designed cloth had lain across the top of the counter. Now half of the Sony was melted, the three cds lying on the counter were ruined, and the cloth was covered in melted plastic and wax. Not only that, but it was burnt.

I looked over at you, you were sleeping peacefully. I decided not to wake you. I went over to the window and opened it, hoping that the air in the room would clear. After a few moments I sat back down on the bed, absently stroking your hair. I looked at you, so close to where the fire had been, and I looked at the nightstand. We had almost died.

The thought struck me like a ton of bricks. We had almost died. If I hadn't woken up, the fire would've spread and soon the entire room would have been on fire. I was scarily surprised the fire alarm hadn't gone off, then I noticed the bedroom door was shut. The fire alarm was in the other room. I got up and walked to the door. I quickly pulled it open, stepped through, and closed it. It didn't smell like the house was almost on fire. I was astonished.

I re-entered the room. It hadn't cleared up one bit. I scowled. It was fucking smoky in here. I turned on the ceiling fan, careful not to also light the light and attract more attention then necessary.

I sat on the bed once again, looking back to the nightstand. What had caused the fire?

I remembered last night, we had come home from dinner and I had wondered what that smell had been. It had been incense. Somehow you had covered the bedroom in lit candles and burning incense.

"it's dangerous to leave so many fires going for such an extended period of time," I had said. How ironic.

"I had Yusuke come over and light them about five minutes ago," you replied. I had shaken my head. "Ai Shiteru Hiei."

"Ai Shiteru," was all I had managed before you had jumped me. Some how, during the course of events, we had blown out every candle and stick of incense, except the one on the nightstand. I remembered thinking to myself to blow it out, but I must have fallen asleep. I shook my head. Such a simple thing had started such a big problem. I could have lost you.

I paused in the stroking of your hair. I could have lost you. The one person, the one thing I had to live for, I could have lost. I gazed down on your peaceful face. I could have lost you.

It didn't matter that I had been able to put out the fire. If we weren't careful it could happen again. I could relate that to our lives. Just when we had put out one flame trying to destroy our fragile wooden relationship, another one would spring up. This fire had taught me that. That I had to work for our relationship. That I couldn't just sit back and watch it happen. I would have to help out, because sometimes you wouldn't be able to put out that fire and I would in order to save what we had. Every fire would force us to lose something, some insignificant part of our relationship, but the whole experience would teach us more than that little piece could ever do. Fires were not necessarily a bad thing, but only when they were not real fires.

This fire had been real. It had threatened something I hadn't even thought could be threatened: our home. Yes, I did consider it my home. But not just mine, yours as well. You had worked hard to scrape and earn for this small apartment. You had put your heart and soul into making it the home it was now. Such a thing as that had been threatened by such a stupid mistake. The simple mistake of not blowing out a candle.

I looked at you. I would put out our fires. I would help you keep our relationship out of the flames.

"…ne, Hiei go to sleep," you murmured. I snuffed at your comment. "What's burning?"

"Nothing now," I replied. Your eyes shot open and you sat up.

"What happened?!" you exclaimed. I sighed and gestured to the nightstand.

"We left a candle burning," I said. You stared at me. You looked about the room, it was no longer filled with smoke.

"A candle did that?" you said quietly. You pointed to the nightstand. I nodded.

"It would have been much worse had I not woken up," I said. You nodded. You suddenly pulled me into a tight hug.

"thank the gods you're alright," you whispered.

I will help you put out those threatening fires now Kurama.

Notes are neat!: Hello. I know what you're thinking: it's a very improbable story line. Let me tell you my inspiration for this particular chapter: this almost exact plot line. I woke up at approximately 2:30 this morning, only to discover that my nightstand was on fire. I didn't even think, I acted. I put it out, mostly with a glass of half finished Pepsi. The fire alarm in my house didn't go off because nothing traveled out of my room. I opened a window to be greeted by 30 degree weather. I have two guinea pigs, they would have frozen, and so I took them with me and put them in my bed to keep warm. And my only thoughts through all of this were: I hope my parents don't kill me. But that lovely fire did have its purpose, I guess, INSPIRATION!