Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Unpaid Vengeance ❯ The Dream ( Chapter 20 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Unpaid Vengeance

Part of the Relations series

Me: Hello and welcome to another chapter of UV!! As you may have guessed, the story is drawing quickly to a close. So savor these last chapters people!! =)

Hiei: Yeah! Wait…why am I agreeing with you?

Me: I dunno.

Hiei: I'm just going to shut up and read this stuff okay?

Me: Whatever.

Hiei: *reading* Last chapter, we took a trip into the temple where Kiru was being kept asleep via herbs. Yukina was watching after her, but at the end of her shift when she went to get Kurama, a ball of ki- the one containing Kiru's memories- flew past her and entered Kiru's body. But by the time she returned from getting Kurama, Kiru was gone.

--

`What do you mean gone!!?' Hiei yelled and slammed his fist into the wall.

`By the time I got here, she was gone,' Kurama said, fearing slightly for his safety. `I don't know how else to explain it.'

Yukina saw that her brother was reaching the end of his patience and ran over to him, `Oniisan, please calm down. She'll be okay.'

`But…' Hiei trailed off, walking over to the window and looking out into the full moon.

`Oniisan,' Yukina put a hand on his shoulder, `You're worried that her old memories will change everything, ne?'

Hiei sighed, `Hai, what if…what if she remembers something…something…'

`Hiei,' Kurama said, braving almost certain death, putting a hand on his shoulder, `Nothing will ever change the bond you two share.' Hiei gave him a disbelieving look, `Love is a powerful thing, my friend. Nothing short of death can disturb that bond, and sometimes not even that can.'

Hiei glanced again out the window.

`Onii-chan…' Yukina said, `She braved so much for you, do you really think she'll just abandon someone she cares so much for?'

Hiei thought for a moment more then turned to his two companions with a smile, `You're right. I'm foolish to lose hope like that. No matter what happens, we'll always be together.' She promised, after all.

He remembered her words from the last time he had seen her before this whole thing had begun. Now that he thought about it, he remembered something he had overlooked since that night.

He had had a weird dream that night, and his tossing had woken his wife up.

--Flashback--

`Hiei! Wake up!'

Hiei sat up quickly from the dream. It was one that he hadn't had in a long time.

`Did you dream of…that…again?' Kiru knew the look in his eyes well, he had it when he dreamed *that* dream.

*That* dream was not an uncommon theme in the least. It was that dream where your loved one, in his case Kiru, is walking away from you. You call and they stop, turning towards you and calling your name in response. You run for them, extending a hand- but no matter how fast or how far you run, they just get farther and farther away…

But there was when the similarities ended. Hiei's dream was much more vivid.

After a while, he would trip and Kiru would start to walk towards him. He would struggle to get up, but it would be no use, like he was chained down or something. As this distracted her, something- a mysterious giant shadow- would sneak up behind her. He would try to call out to her, but by the time he did it was always too late. The shadow would grab her and draw her away.

`Hiei!' she would cry, reaching out for him. The chains would vanish and he would give chase, losing sight of her as the shadow turned and ran. He would, at this time, catch the shadow, but by the time he did, all that was left of his lover was a cold, dead shell- her face frozen forever in a fearful, pained expression and her hand ever reaching for the help that would never come…

`Kiru,' he said, `I never want that to happen. You are my reason for living…I never want to fail you like that…'

`Hiei…' she said and brushed a lock lovingly out of his face, `No matter what happens, even if we are parted by death…we will always be together.'

--End Flashback--

I should have known! Hiei mused to himself as he helped his teammates scan for any trace or trail of his lover's youki in the area.

It never failed- any time he had that disturbing dream, his lover would meet with some sort of harm. It had happened before the phoenix incident, before the night they had been separated, and then before this whole fiasco started.

Sure all the other times had ended well, but the end of the dream always haunted him…

How much longer could he avoid that cold shadow of death? How much longer till he failed in his mission to protect his love?

How much longer till his raison d'ete1 was gone?

--

1- raison d'ete means reason to live

Me: Hope you enjoyed!!

Hiei: Please review!!

Me: Thankies in advance!!