Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Unseen Love ❯ A Family Torn Apart 1 ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Unseen Love
Chapter One
"Tenkei, watch this!" I giggled as I balanced on the wall next to the pond.
"Be careful, Salina," Tenkei warned, his blue hair with slight red streaks through it blowing into his face.
"I am," I assured him as I turned my back on him and looked down at the water to see my reflection. My shoulder length blue and red hair bounced as I laughed; my purple eyes shimmered, reflecting the peaceful waters back upon the glistening surface.
"Uh, Tenkei, you might want to get her down from there," the voice of my brother's best friend, Lenny, rang behind me.
I turned around and stuck my tongue out at the brown-haired eighteen-year-old. This was only the third time I had seen this man in my entire life-time, however, due to his friendship with my brother I knew I could trust him.
"It's amazing," Lenny pointed out to my brother.
"What's amazing?" Tenkei asked total confusion etched on his face.
"How can your sister not even be three years old yet? I just don't get it," Lenny clarified.
"Well, I've already told you about our family, shouldn't that explain it?"
Lenny shook his head.
"It's a spell!" I shouted out happily. "All spell casters can perform this spell at a few months of age."
"But, why?" Lenny asked. "I mean, she looks our age."
"It's for protection. The life of a spell caster isn't exactly an easy one. Targets are put on your back at birth, so you have to be able to defend yourself as soon as possible. This spell enables you to have the full functions of an adult in order to fight back and defend yourself," Tenkei explained. "Ever since Mom was killed, I made her promise to stay in that form."
My eyes dropped upon his words as my eyes changed to blue and a sad expression took over my face.
"Why?" Lenny asked.
"The only way that we are allowed to remain in this world is if a member of our family works for Spirit World, and being the oldest, after Mom died I took on that responsibility, so I can't always be around."
"And a two year old doesn't exactly put up much of a front against bad guys," Lenny nodded in understanding.
Tears started to fall from my eyes and I attempted to dry them with my sleeves.
"What's wrong, Salicue?" Tenkei asked, getting up.
"I miss Mommy," I admitted.
"It's going to be all right, Salicue," Tenkei assured as he walked over and wrapped his arms around me. "Mom's watching over us, you know that."
"Dude, I thought her name was Salina," Lenny complained.
"It is," Tenkei responded. "But it also isn't."
"Huh?"
"It's complicated. Within this body there are actually twelve different girls. Salina, Salishawa, Innakawa, Salicue, Suka, Sarah, Onapo, Carolina, Smarlana, Elina, Elizabeth, and Shaqueline," Tenkei explained.
"Whoa, how do you keep up with them all?" Lenny asked.
"Each one has their own personality and eye color. For example, Salina has purple eyes and a very peaceful personality. Salicue here is the one with blue eyes and she is the sad one out of the twelve," Tenkei explained.
"Oh wow, I don't think I'd be able to keep up," Lenny sighed.
"Mom always introduced her to strangers as Salina, no matter which of the twelve was present at the time she would always tell people that she was Salina Sukana," Tenkei smiled. "Isn't that right?"
My eyes changed color once again to an invisible white and I smiled.
"Oh great, who is she now?" Lenny asked.
"Um…" Tenkei sweat drops. "I don't really know."
"You mean, she's your sister and you don't know?!" Lenny asked.
"Well, it's complicated. White means that it could be either Sarah or Onapo."
"I thought you said they each had their own eye color."
"Well, they do, with the exception of the identical twins; they're very similar and have the same eye color."
"Silly Tenkei, you know who I am," I teased.
"Onapo," Tenkei sighed.
"Bingo!"
"Stop saying that, you're reminding me of that Grim Reaper, Botan," Tenkei complained.
"How'd you tell the difference?" Lenny asks.
"The only thing that's different about Onapo and Sarah is their voice. If she doesn't speak you can't tell them apart. But once they make a noise it's easy to tell who it is."
"You meanie, you gave it away!" I complained as I gave him a push, having changed yet again.
"Sarah!" Tenkei shouts as we both fell into the water.
After landing, we sat up and looked at each other before we both burst out laughing….