Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Unseen Love ❯ A Family Torn Apart 6 ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Unseen Love 1 A Family Torn Apart
Chapter 6
 
It wasn't long before the young child began to learn the ways of her family. When she was three months old, her brother taught her how to transform into her form that would always remain eighteen years her senior. She learned quickly and soon was able to decide on her own to take on the family tradition of casting spells. Her brother and mother warned her of all of the dangers and requirements involved, and she accepted all of them. So, when she was six months old, she was taken into the hidden library beneath the mansion.
"All right, Salina, are you sure you want to do this, all of you? You can turn back at any time until the process is complete. After that, the deal is permanent," Salca explained.
Salina nodded. "I want to be just like you, Mommy," she replied.
Salca smiled as she explained the rules and left her daughter to her test.
The test took what seemed to be years to poor young Salina as the magical forces of the room she had been locked up within tried and tested her soul repeatedly. Finally, she received the sign that she had passed the test, though she was barely hanging on to consciousness. A table appeared in the center of the room. She walked over to it and laid down on its surface, just as her mother had told her to do should it appear. Straps appeared and wrapped themselves securely around her tiny body. Another long stretch followed, one that ultimately knocked the young girl unconscious.
"Salina, wake up, Honey; the test is over," Salca cooed to her young daughter as she held her in her arms. "You passed."
Salina's purple eyes fluttered open and a smile made itself comfortable on her face. She pulled her tiny fist up in front of her eyes and released the small locket from within her grasp with all but two fingers, allowing it to dangle over her head on it's silver chain. Through her fingers she could feel the slight pulsation coming from the locket, the container of her now disconnected heart.
"When you find someone you can trust, this will go to them for safe keeping so that you can learn more about the art of spell casting," Salca explained her green eyes brimming with pride.
"Who'd you give yours to, Mother?" Salina asked; her ability to talk affected by her experience of transforming between her older form and her younger form.
"The elder of the Toguro brothers," Tenkei replied with a look of slight depression in his brown eyes. "Our father who walked out on us," he explained.
"Oh," Salina replied as she sat up and looked from her brother to her mother.
"I'm sure he's keeping it safe," Salca smiled reassuringly. "After all, I've never had any problem related to the heart."
"Luckily," Tenkei sighed.
"Who'd you give yours to, brother?"
"Jerricanto Scomanto, the man who abandoned us," Tenkei replied.
"Wasn't he a spell caster as well?"
"No, Sweetie, Jerricanto was not a spell caster," Salca smiled.
"He was just a jerk," Tenkei explained before phasing through the exit to the library and exited the house, slamming the door behind him.
"Did I say something wrong, Mommy?" Salina asked as she winced.
"No, your brother's just still coming to terms with the events that happened a while ago," Salca explained.
After about a weeks rest, Salina began practicing the basics of spell casting in her senior form with her mother and brother, unable to go into too dangerous of spells until she found someone to entrust her locket to. During their training, Salina made sure to watch what she said to her brother, for fear of angering him again.
On Salina's first birthday, they received a strange visitor demanding an audience with Salca. Salina didn't know any better and so she stumbled down the stairs in her senior form in the middle of their discussion.
"Jerricanto is no longer here, ET," Salca explained, completely ignoring the presence her daughter.
"I knew it! He never was the type to settle down," ET smirked.
"He left us over a year ago when he discovered of Salina's conception."
"You had another brat with that man?" ET complained.
"Yes, she is a year old today as a matter of fact," Salca smiled with pride.
"That's it! I thought you'd come to your senses after the first child and come back to me. This is unforgivable, Salca!" ET screamed.
"This is unforgivable? No, what's unforgivable is what you did to me thirty-five years ago at that tournament. I had every intention of becoming your wife, ET, until you made that dumb wish with your brother that broke both Genkai's and my hearts. We didn't make this choice, ET, you and your brother did. We told you not to do it, but you pushed us aside and did it anyway," Salca pointed out in a calm voice.
"We did this to gain more power; we thought you guys would be happy once you realized that fact so that we could protect you."
"All you cared about was power," Salca declared.
ET gripped something from around his neck and pulled it off with one swift jerk.
"Tenkei!" Salina shouted in fear, recognizing the locket held tightly within ET's hand.
Her older brother came charging down the stairs, skipping almost all of them on his way. He made it just in time for Salina to point into the living room as ET's grip upon the locket encompassing Salca's fragile heart tightened and blood began to spill from Salca's lips as pain filled her face.
"Mother!" Tenkei screamed as he ran towards her, making it just in time to catch her as she fell.
"Take care of Salina," Salca whispered in a last effort to comfort her children as ET crushed the last bits of the locket, sealing her life completely.
Salina's eyes go wide as she watches her mother's body go limp. Her body freezes as she watches in horror. Tenkei rested Salca on the floor gently and stood up slowly to face ET. Even though she couldn't see his face, Salina could tell that Tenkei was mad beyond any anger she had ever seen him have. Energy surrounded his body as he charged at ET. By some miracle on ET's part, the man molded his body into a long skinny rope and stretched himself to the door before reforming back into his original body.
"Goodbye, bastard," ET smirked as he tossed the shattered pieces of the locket back into the room before taking off into the distance.
Salina bent down and picked up a few of the pieces of the locket that had landed by her feet.
"Tenkei, isn't there someway we can put it back together?" she asked as she walked over, her face already covered in tears.
"You can't fix a broken heart, Salina," Tenkei replied as his mother's form began to turn into ashes.
"What's happening?" Salina panicked as she tried to stop the ashes from flying away.
"Let it go, Salina," Tenkei replied as he stopped his sister, trying to act as calm as possible.
"But-"
"This is what happens when a spell caster's heart is destroyed," Tenkei explained. "There's nothing we can do."
Salina watched as the ashes floated away into the distance through a slightly opened window and the chimney.
"Come on," Tenkei interrupted her moment of sorrow as he grabbed her arm and lifted her to her feet. "We have to get out of here."
"Where are we going?"
"We have to go see King Yama," Tenkei replied as he pulled his sister along. "It's no longer safe here anyway, no matter what happens. With Mom gone, the shield around our home is no more. This place will fall in a matter of moments to the demons who called her a betrayer. Were going to find Ayame and have her take me to King Yama while you stay with her."
"Why can't I go with you?"
"I don't want you to ever have to meet King Yama, Salina, you hear me?" Tenkei replied as he draped a silver cloth around his sister's shoulders and pulled her out the door.