Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Window to the Soul ❯ Chapter 1

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
What the hell is wrong wit these people? They are always antagonizing me. I don't understand it, no matter what I do, whether I talk or stay silent, they go after me. Oh, y the way, my name is Aria, and "they" are the people in my school. I don't know exactly why I don't have friends, I try to be nice to everyone I meet but they always seem to piss me off the leave. It could be because I'm different, I don't means I'm a freak or anything, I'm just REALLY different. I look the same as anyone else, in fact my mom says I'm beautiful, but that's not what sets me apart from them. I thinks it's my eyes. They aren't quite golden, yet not quite crimson, they are a crimson as dark as blood with gold specks throughout. My mother said they are my father's eyes, for her eyes are a plain brown. I don't remember my father, but mother says he was kind and gererous. Funny thing is, she never said he was a kinds and generous "man." I always thought that was peculiar.

It was my sixteenth birthday when some new students showed up. They seemed rather strange, though none of the popular bitches seemed to care. They thought two of them were the hottest, sexiest "beasts" on the planet. I knew there was something up with them, for some strange reason they were watching me. After awhile one got up the nerve to talk to me.

"Who are you and why do you have so much spirit energy?" asked the shortest one, who was a little taller than me, with spiky hair with a starburst of white in the middle.

He was already starting to piss me off, so I sediced to treat him the same.

"My name is Aria, and I don't know what the fuck you're talking about." I said with as much ferocity as I could muster. I truned and headed to my next class. Sadly, another spoke ther.

"I'm sorry for my friend's rudeness, he's not quite sure what manners are." said the one with long, red hair and, I had noticed this earlier, emerald eyes.

"You could say that or you could say he's an ass." I said. He laughed.

"Yes, Hiei can seem that way at times." he said, still smiling. "my name is Kur-Shuichi."

"Kurshuichi?" I asked.

"I meant Shuichi." he said, rubbing the back of his head.

"Ah, I see. Well, Shuichi, my name is Aria." I said, shaking his hand.

Shuichi had my lunch shift, along with the rest. He introduced me to the other two I had not met. Yusuke was shorther than Shuichi, but taller than Hiei, with slicked back, black hair and a layed back attitude. Kuwabara was the talledst, yet completely and totally stupid, with orange hair and just as layed back as Yuske. One thing I always look at was people's eyes. I don't know why but I did. Yusuke had the same emotional brown eyes as my mother, the ones that betrayed every aspect of human emotions. Kuwabara, on the other hand, had blue eyes that showed when he didn't have a clue; which was basically every wakihng hour from what I could see. Shuichi's emerald eyes seemed to hold hidden knowledge, seemingly older than the body around them; once in a while they would change to brilliant gold, which seemed to be they eyes of another being taking interest at certain points in certain conversations.

I'm glad I was good at examining people without them knowing because when I turned my attention to Hiei he was staring at me, obviously not caring that the popular bitches at the next table were stewing in their own anger. At me of course.

When I looked into Hiei's eyes I almost gasped. They were the same dark crimson as mine, but without the gold specks. They held anger at something, yet remained emotionless. Upon closer inspection I found that not only did they hold anger, ut an incredible sadness, from where I sat I could almost hear his soul crying out. I could certainly see it. His soul craved something from which he had been deprived of. How could anyone be so......so.....so sad? I studied his eyes for the reason, but to no avail.

I was glad when the day was over and I was able to go home. I almost ran out of the school yard when someone grabbed my arm, forcing me to stop. I looked up just to see the only guy who ever talked to me Sir Asshole himself, Lair. He's a good two for three years older than me, due to the fact he kept flunking. I had a good reas to believe he liked me.

"Hey, don't you owe me?" Lair said, smiling menacingly down at me.

"No." I stated.

"You know you want me." he said.

"No, actually I don't." I said, pulling away from his grip.

"Really," he said, irritated. He grabbed my arm again this time pulling me to him. The motion caused me to drop my book bag.

"Let me go." I said calmly, slapping the hand that was sliding down to my ass. Lair looked at me with lust. He was the only guy in the school that was brave enough to come out and admit he was lustfull towards me; or at least my body. He pulled me tighter to him.

"What if I don't?" he asked, a smirk crossing his face.

"That would not be very smart, my friend." sounded a voice behind me, it was Shuichi. I turned and the others were with him. I'm starting to like these guys more and more, I thought. I pulled away from Lair and picked up my bag. As I was walking away from him he grabbed my arm again. I turned and glared at him.

"If you do not release her your arm will be crushed." sounded another voice. My eyes widened in surprise. It was Hiei.

"What's a little shit like you gonna do?" asked Lair.

"Dude you shouldn't have called him that." said Yusuke. Shuichi said to Hiei.

"Keep it slow." he said. Hiei nodded, walking toward Lair. Lair released my arm, I stepped away so I could see what was happening. Lair began to laugh at how small Hiei seemed in comparison to himself. Without warning Hiei gravved Lair's arm, spinning and monuvering until his arm was behind his back and he was on the ground, pinned, with Hiei's foot on the back of his head. Hiei pulled on Lair's arm until Lair almost screamed. There came a satisfying popping sound as Lair's arm came out of it's socket. Hiei dropped his arm with a sickening thud as it fell to the ground. Lair lay unconsious from the pain.

"Thank you," I said, glancing at his sad eyes. I continued to leave the school grounds. Yusuke and Kuwabara ran after me after glancing at eachother.

"Hey, Aria, we'll walk with you." said Yusuke.

"That's okay, I only live a few blocks away." I said, smiling. Shuichi and Hiei had walked up.

"No, we will all walk with you." said Shuichi. "Why walk alone when you can walk with friends?"

"Fine," I said, then sarcastically, "I guess I'll walk the dogs." We all laughed, well, Shuchi, Yusuke and me laughed, Kuwabara didn't get it and I don't think Hiei even knows how to smile let alone laugh.

We walked down the street towards my house. When we arrived my mother was home.

"hey, Honey, welcome home." she said from the kitchen after she heard the door open. She came into the living room to meet us, wrather meet me since she didn't know about th boys. "Oh! Who are your friends?" She smiled.

"This is Shuichi, Yusuke, Hiei, and Kuwabara." I said, indicating them with my thumb.

"Nice to meet you!" she said cheerilly, clutching her hands in front of her. I laughed at her enthusiasm as I layed my bag on a chair.

Our living room was the largest room in out house. The carpet was blue and fuzzy, which made it comfortable to lay on. The TV was set in an intertainment center on the side of the room with the front door, the intertainment center also had an excelent sterio system set inside the part with the glass door. In the middle of the room was a wooden coffee table which was the center of the furniture. Each peice of furniture was set about three feet from the table, the couch on the opposite side from the TV, and at each end were smal tables. At each end of the coffee table were chairs angled toward the TV. The furniture was a purple color.

I turned a curious eye on the boys. I needed answers, but as soon as I began to speak they decided to leave. I bid them farewell and decided to save my questions for tomorrow.

The next day I went to school, as usual, being ignored by all. I ddin't have to go searching for the boys, they found me. I was at my locker when they came up behind me. I gathered my books and closed my locker.

"Don't moe." I somewhat commanded as I turned to face them. "I have questions that need answers."

"Okay." said Shuichi confidently, while Yusuke and Kuwabara seemed nervous.

"Why are you so interested in me?" I asked, keeping my eyes on all of them. It seemed as though they were rooted to the spot. I saw gold flash in Shuichi's eyes, the image of a silver fox crossed my mind's eye.

"Well, um..." said Yusuke. "We'll let Kur...I mean Shuichi," He seemed to snicker a bit here, "explain everything." Him and Kuwabara ran down the hall to their first class.

"Hn. Dumbasses." said Hiei, almost under his breath. He turned and headed in the same direction the other two had gone. Shuichi sighed as he watched Hiei tred down the hall, he turned back to me.

"I guess I will have to explain some things." he said quietly, with a sense of finality. "I don't think there is enough time before class starts and some things should be said in secret. I will explain after school."

I nodded to show I agreed, the bell rang to get to class immediately afterward.

Throughout my first classes I thought about what he would explain, but I gave up and was thankful it was a half-day.

Lunch was the last thing og the day. I got my tray and sat down. They boys were already seated by the time I got there. Kuwabara and Yusuke were talking about girls I didn't know.

"Come on you have to admit: Keiko has got a body!" Yusuke was saying.

"Yeah, but she's your girlfriend. You're supposed to think that." said Kuwabara, the most intelligent thing I have ever heard come out of his mouth.

"So, she's hot. What about Yukina?"

"Oh, now Yukina is hot. I think she could probably go all night lo..."

Hiei's movement was so fast I didn't see him move. It seemed as though he just appeared, standing on the table, gripping Kuwabara's shirt collar, lifting him slightil of the ground. His eyes seemed to be fulld with blood lust, such that it sent shivers down my spine.

"Do NOT speak of Yukina in such a manner!" Hiei said, voice so low it resemble a growl.

"Calm down, Hiei, I'm the one who asked him." said Yusuke, waving his hands in fron of him. Nobody had stood to help Kuwabara, it seemed like they didn't care. Hiei released him, watching him fall to the ground before turning and leaving. I watched as he stormed off, fists clutched at his sides. As soon as he turned a corner I turned to the others. Yusuke was laughing as Kuwabara stood, cursing up a storm. Shuichi sighed sadly, staring at his folded hands.

"Isn't someone going to go after him?" I asked, half angered. Kuwabara hadn't heard me, but the others turned toward me. Yusuke's mirth at Kuwabara's expense disappeared from his features and his eyes were sad while his face hard. Shuichi's eyes were sad as he smile slightly. He turned to Kuwabara.

"Kuwabara, why don't you take our trays up?" he asked.

"Fine." Kuwabara answered, picking up the trays ohn out table and heading across the lunch room.

"The girl Kuwabara was talking about, Yukina, is Hiei's sister." said Shuichi. I looked at him is mazement.

"Kuwabara doesnt' know." Yusuke explained.

"We thought it best not to tell him, for Hiei's sake, and Yukina's, she not yet knows wher brother is just that she has a brother." Shuichi stated, business-like.

"Why don't you just tell her?" I asked skeptically.

"I'll explain that, too." In time." he answered.

As me and Shuichi walked from the school yard we spotted Hiti leaning against a tree waiting for us. Shuichi nodded to him and he joined us on the walk to my house. As I was walking I studied him a little, to see if he was alright. It was slight, but I could tell. There was alittle bit of red lining his crimson eyes. He had cried. He really cares about his sister, I thought.

"Welcome home!" my mother said from the kitchen when the door closed. I came in behind her, smelling what was cooking and taking an apple from the bowl on the table. I took a look at what was on the stove, finding all sorts of foods, enought for several people.

"What's with the feast?" I asked, leaning against the counter beside the stove, taking about bite of my apple.

"Your grandparents are coming for dinner." she answered. "They are bringing your cousins, Amy and James."

"Oh, okay." I said, thinking. "There's more food hear that just us and them can eat."

"Yes, your friends can stay for dinner." she said.

"You read my mind." I said, kissing her cheek then going into the living room.

I joined Shuichi and Hiei in the living room. The kitchen was just a large door and room adjoined with the living room. Hiei was leaning against the wall next to the TV, while Shuichi sat at one end of the couch. I sat in the chair closest to him.

"I have questions." I said.

"I have answers." he answered, leaning forward with his elbows on his knees, fingers laced.

"First, who are you really?" I asked. His eyes turned gold.

"Right to the point." he said, a smirk coming across his face. "We are Koenma's Spirit Detectives. My birthname is shuichi, but it is not my true name. I am actually a demon, a fox to be precise. My name is actually Yoko Kurama. Yusuke is an ordinary boy that died before his time but was given a second chance. As for Hiei over there, most of his story is unknown, even to me, but I can tell you this: If he wasn't working for Koenma, he'd be is prison." I glanced over at hiei, his expression wasn't wavering, but his eyes expressed something similar to shame.

"What about Kuwabara?" I asked, eyes still on Hiei.

"Oh, him, he's just some kid with a high spirit sense." answered Shuichi.

"What am I to call you?"

"Call me Kurama, everyone else does."

"What about Yukina" I asked. Hiei looked at me in shock. Kurama didn't say anything. "Well? Why doesn't she know?"

"Would you want someone to know their brother was a criminal?" Hiei blurted angrily. He was stopped from leaving by a knock on the door. I got up and answered it. The moment I opened the door I was tackled to the ground. Kurama stood and Hiei was shocked. Then they realized everything was fine and I was laughing. People filed in the door, an old man and woman, along with a girl about my age. It was Grandpa, Grandma, and Amy, I never did like her.

"Immature creatures." said Amy.

"Stuck up fruit cake of a Fru-Fru." I said back.

"Ladies, put your claws away." said Grandpa. James helped me up.

"Hey, Gandpa, Hey, Grandma." I said, hugging each of them. I then turned and introduced them to Hiei and Kurama, introducing him as Shuichi. I turned to James. "Hey, Squirt, haven't grown much, I see."

"Yeah, Yeah, you just wait." said the fourteen year old. I ruffled his hair a bit then flopped down on the couch next to Kurama. I put my feet on the coffee table, hitting the TV remote with my heel, turning it on as I was so accustomed to doing.

James took his seat next to me and I wrapped my arm around his shoulders. He was so small, still the size of a twelve year old. I thought of him as a little brother, and he looked up to me.

"Why don't he sit down?" he asked, pointing at Hiei.

"I don't know, I guess he's just weird." I said, noticing Hiei's attention on me. "He's just strange that way." I stuck my tongue out at him. He made a weird sound and turnd his head away, crossing his arms. I noticed that he was watching me out of the corner of his eye. I laughed.

After dinner we went up to my room. I sat on my bed, along with James, Kurama sat in the chair at my desk and Hiei leaned against the side of my desk.

"Okay," I said, "final question."

"What about James?" Kurama interrupted.

"He knows what I know, there are no secrets. Now, why were you following me?" I said.

"Should have known you would have figured it out." Kurama sighed. "We were following you because you have extraordinary spirit energy for a human."

"She's not a human, Fox." said Hiei. Kurama's eyes turned gold once more. That makes me dizzy, I thought.

"Now that you mention it, I did notice something strange." said Kurama, moving so he could look into my eyes. "There it is."

"What?" I asked.

"The eyes of a great demon. Strange in his favor of humans, but great none the less." said Kurama.

"Are you saying I'm a demon?" I said, not entirely surprised, after all I did say I was different. "Is that why I can tell so much about people by looking in their eyes?"

"I suppose so." said Kurama, eyes turning back to green. "They eyes are known as the window to he soul."

"Well, then stop switching souls, you're making me dizzy." I said, he looked shocked. James was just sitting there looked stunned.

After awhile Kurama said he had to go home. Hiei stayed and we went down stairs to say goodbye and watch TV. James once more took his spot under my arm and Hiei sat on the other side. We watched TV for quite a while. James fell asleep before Grandma and Grandpa decided to leave. They left him sleeping under my arm. After they left my mother went up to bed, leaving Hiei and me the only ones awake.

I could tell Hiei was watching me out ot the corner of his eye. He seemed to be curious about something.

"What do you want to know?" I asked, startling him. He looked me full in the eye.

"You can see people's souls?" he asked, genuwinely curious.

"I guess. I don't really see there souls, I see them, the real them."

"Can you see the real me?" he said, glancing away.

"I saw the real you at lunch." I said, staring at the ceiling.

"You saw a murderer." he said, monotone.

"No, I saw....regret....sadness." I said sadly. He looked at me strange. I stood and moved James so he was laying down. Hiei stood also, so James would have the whole couch. I got a blanket and covered him up. Hiei followed me up to my room.

"So, tell me why you're so sad." I said, sitting on my bed. He leaned against my desk.

"I don't want to." he said. I smirked.

"Why? Are you scared?" I said, mocking him. He stepped forward, offended. "Come on scaredy boy." I said, winking. That was the final straw. he snapped. He rushed towardme, moving quickly, he thought he had me pinned on my bed. I used my lags, swinging one about him and forcing him to tol over. Within seconds I was straddled across him gripping his wrists, forcing them to the bed. I felt something against my leg and looked down, it was a Katana, beneath his cloak. I looked into his eyes and saw something I had never seen, at least not in him. He was blushing, which caused me to blush. This obviouly pleased him because a smirk cam across his face. Wow, was my only thought. His smile was amazing, it seemed to light up his fae. I blushed a brilliant pink, my grip on his wrists loosening. He pulled them loose and pulled his sword away from his belt, setting it on the floor next to the bed. He sat up, with me still on top of him, placing his hands on my hips.

Without realizing it I had become entranced by his eyes. They seemed to hold me to the spot. They held someting new now. I couldn't quite recognize it.

I leaned down to meet his lips, pushing my hands into his coat at the shoulders, slipping it off. It fell to the bed. I pulled back and looked into his eyes, they had changed. They held a want, almost a need or hunger.

"Hiei?" I said quietly, knowing he would hear me.

"Huh?" he returned, starting to kiss my eck.

"Why..." I said, being cut off by his lips touching mine. I guess that's final, I thought.

The next morning I woke to find I was alone. He was no where to be found. I sighed and got up, getting ready for school. When I got there the boys weren't there. They were gone.

I went throughout the day wondering where they were and if last night was just a one night stand. Walking home I felt a strange presence, it was familiar though.

Outside my home Hiei appeared out of nowhere. He seemed sad. He wrapped his arms around me as soon as he knew I saw Him. I dropped my book bag out of surprise.

"We have to go. I'll come back for you." he whispered into my ear. He kissed me gently on my forehead, then disappeared, leaving me standing alone with an ability I have no control over.