Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Winter Murders ❯ Home again ( Chapter 27 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Winter Murders

Yusuke and Kuwa were looking at their friends' prone bodies, wondering if they should be worried, or if they should poke them with a stick. Yusuke looked at Kuwa, who had decided to poke Hiei with a stick. Yusuke shook his head and punched his friend good-naturedly on the shoulder. Of course, you can't punch Kuwa good-naturedly without him thinking you mean it as a challenge. Kuwa "glared" at Yusuke. Yusuke was totally oblivious (which is perfectly normal) and then Kuwa threw a punch at him. Yusuke dodged (who wouldn't) and Kuwa fell over, having thrown his whole being into the punch. Yusuke laughed at his friend. Kuwa got up instantly.

"You got something to say Urameshi?!" he shouted. Yusuke stopped laughing and looked past the angry Kuwa. Kuwa turned and instantly lost all his anger. Subaru was standing next to Dolore's dead body.

"Dolore," he said. He crouched down and picked her up. "I am sorry that you had to end this way. You deserved better."

Yusuke stood as Subaru came over to the two prone lovers lying on the ground. He gently placed Dolore on the ground and then sat beside them.

"They should be awake soon," he said. Yusuke and Kuwa sat back down next to their friends.

~*~*

Hiei cracked open an eye. The light was bright, but he'd deal with it. He felt the body beneath him stir and instantly sat up, looking down at his lover's face. Kurama smiled and pulled him back down. Hiei was startled, but embraced his lover, but instantly broke away when he heard Yusuke's laughter.

"Who'd have thought Hiei was a cuddly kind of person," Yusuke managed between his laughter. Hiei growled and started to lunge at his "friend" when two strong arms wrapped around his waist.

"That would ruin everything firefly, let him have his merriment now, we'll get him later," a deep voice whispered in his ear. Hiei shivered.

"I am glad that you are awake," an unfamiliar voice spoke from behind the lovers. Hiei and Youko turned to see Subaru.

"Subaru," Youko murmured. Subaru nodded at him.

"I don't exactly know what happened, but I do know that she saved us all. I also know what needs to be done now," he said. Hiei raised an eyebrow. He looked over Subaru's shoulder and saw the other two members of the council approaching.

"I believe that I am the one that she wished to take over the position of head if she ever died," Subaru said. Jane and Romial both interjected.

"You can't!" they said at the same time. They looked at each other and then at Subaru.

"They're right," Hiei said. Everyone looked at him. He looked right at Subaru. "She told me that she believed that you had the saddest past. She wanted you to be happy more than anything. She didn't want you to take over the position that she herself had. It would just make you suffer longer than you already had."

Subaru lowered his eyes.

"He's right," Jane said. "You have suffered more than I, and more than Romial, and we don't want you to keep suffering. You still have the power to die and to go and be with the ones you love. We want you to do that at some point in time. You do not deserve to suffer any longer than you have. I will take over the position of head."

Subaru nodded and pried a golden bracelet off of Dolore's wrist. He held it up wordlessly and Jane took it, placing it around her own wrist. Dolore vanished.

"I am now the head of the council," Jane said. "We will begin to look for the fourth member now. Come Romial, Subaru."

Jane and Romial left the group. Subaru staid for a moment to thank Hiei and then trailed after his fellow council members.

"Lets not do another mission like this one. It's hazardous to our health," Yusuke said. Kuwa nodded and Kurama smiled. Hiei just rolled his eyes at the detective.

"Let's go home."

~*~*

Hypatia was angry. She couldn't believe the nerve of Alexi. She had been minding her own business when out of the blue the girl had jumped her… and had clung to her the whole day. She was mad. Really mad.

"We're back!" she heard Yusuke shout. "Holy shit! What happened to this place?! It looks like a tornado hit."

"Nothing out of the ordinary happened Yusuke," Alexi replied. Hypatia narrowed her eyes and headed out to the front of the temple where everyone was gathered. "I was just attacked multiple times."

Yusuke's mouth dropped open as he felt Alexi's ki. It was huge.

"No kidding… how powerful are you?" he asked.

Alexi shrugged. "I don't know. All I know is that I'm one ability stronger than Makoto, and that's all that matters to me."

"Ok then," Yusuke said. Hypatia looked about.

"Where's Hiei and Kurama?" she asked. Yusuke shrugged.

"You know them, rabbits," he said. Alexi laughed.

"Figures," Hypatia said. She turned on her heel and headed in the temple. Alexi glomped her from behind.

"So… this Makoto guy," Yusuke started. "What's he like?"

"Don't know. I've never met the guy," Alexi said. Yusuke face-faulted. "Where's Kuwa?"

Yusuke looked behind himself. "I don't know."

Alexi sweat dropped. "Good job."

"Thanks," Yusuke beamed, and then got smacked upside the head.

"Dimwit," Genkai said. Yusuke growled.

"Shut up you old hag!" he shouted at her. As per usual, they started fighting. Alexi and Hypatia snuck away.

~*~*

"Hiei…" Kurama said. Hiei looked up at his lover. "Do suppose anything will ever calm down around here?"

Hiei looked at the temple. Yusuke and Genkai were fighting, Alexi was being chased by Hypatia, and Kuwa was flirting (badly) with Yukina.

"No," he said. Kurama sighed.

"I guess it was too much to hope for," he said. Hiei nodded.

Notes: uh… well… I didn't know what to write…. I'm running out of ideas here… I had originally planned to bring Subaru back with the group, but then decided it would be making a big deal out of a minor character… though technically I've already done that with Alexi and Hypatia… whatever. I know its short, and if these notes end up being more substantial and longer than the actual story, I'm sorry. I don't know what to do with this story any more. I don't want to stop it, but I'm coming up dry on ideas. If it starts to seem like I'm never going to write another chapter… I might not be writing another chapter. But, believe it or not, I started this story well over a year ago on mm.org, and well, it took me at least 2 months to write chapter 23 (I think…). So this little blurb is to warn you, I might be stopping the story, I might not be. I don't know, but I can't think of anything to write, and I felt bad about just leaving you guys hanging for an extra week. So that's about it… `m sorry, I really would like to continue, but me brain really can't come up with anything. I'll be sure to let you know if its stopping. I'll write a cute little KH moment or something. So… yeah…