Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Written In the Stars ❯ Questions Answered ( Chapter 15 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Written In the Stars

Chapter 15

The return back to Genkai's temple had been a silent, yet relief filled one. They could all forget about that danger, at least for the moment. Arella couldn't help but wonder though, what would happen to her now. Would her newly found companions be a permanent part of her life or would she go back to the things were before, alone and friendless? There was also the issue of where she would stay now. She had served her purpose and defeated Morfran with Kurama, would that now mean that she had to return back to her aunt and cousins home? Back to living in the run down attic spending the little money she had on food and running from her cousins beatings.

The sound of a bark brought her back to the real world. As they had reached the last of the stone steps that led up to the temple, Kin came running out, leaping into his guardian's arms, licking her face affectionately and letting out barks of joy, his way of telling her he was happy she was back.

"Hey, I hate to break up the happy moment here, but I think there's some questions we all need answers for," Yusuke said.

Kin stopped his display of affection, looking at the boy with what one could consider to be a look of seriousness. Arella too looked over at Yusuke with a serious look on her face. "Yes, I do suppose you're right."

"For one thing, I don't get that prophecy. I mean, I understand the whole thing with Kurama being the fox and all, but it's that Angel of Two Worlds bit that's got me confused. How the hell can one person be from two different worlds?"

Arella didn't know how to respond to this. She too was confused by that part of the prophecy. She had spent so much time training and preparing for her fight with Morfran, she hadn't thought on it much.

Kin then let out a small whimper, his nose now nuzzling the palm of her hand that had been cut when Morfran had used his power to control Kurama's mind, forcing him to use his Rose Whip on her. She looked down at the injured palm, which still stung with pain. I'll have to clean off the blood once…

That's when it dawned on her. She continued to study her hand, now looking at the bloodstains almost in awe. Blood. That's what it was talking about! God I am such an idiot! Why didn't I realize this sooner?!

"Hey Arella, you all right?" Yusuke asked, bringing Arella out of her trance.

"I think… I think I know what the prophecy meant," she said softly. "Most of you remember my aunt and cousins, correct?"

"Well, yeah, hard not to forget something as ugly as them," Yusuke commented, "but I don't see what they have to do with any of this."

"Well, my mother was an Angel as you all know," she sighed, knowing this next part would be slightly difficult and afraid of what their reactions would be, "but the people I was living with before all of this happened. They're not from my mother's side of the family. Angel's are not that cruel, it's not possible. They're from my father's side of the family."

"I still don't get it," Kuwabra said, a look of confusion on his face.

"Let me sum it up this way. My mother was an Angel, yes, but my father wasn't. My father was human."

"Oh! Now, I understand! Her parents aren't literally from two worlds, but metaphorically! One being human, and the other an Angel!" Botan beamed with pride having figured out what Arella was saying. She turned towards Yusuke and offered him a cat grin. "Oh Yusuke, I'm so disappointed in you. If you had studied your English assignment like I told you, you would have picked up on the metaphor in the prophecy a long time ago."

Yusuke frowned as Botan gloated. He wasn't annoyed by the fact that she had figured it out, but by the fact that Botan rubbed it in. "Well," said Yusuke, "I probably would have had time to study if I weren't out saving your ass all the time."

"Oh now, Yusuke," said Botan waving her finger. "Excuses, excuses. Your work as a spirit detective doesn't interfere with your schoolwork that much. You've had plenty of time to study. Or at least you would have if you hadn't spent your extra time at the arcade."

"The arcade?!" repeated Yusuke. "But how do you know…?" Yusuke turned towards Kuwabara who stood there whistling avoiding his eyes. Yusuke knew then that Kuwabara had been the one that ratted him out. Especially, since he was the one that Yusuke had gone to the arcade with. "Kuwabara…."

"Hey, I had no choice, Urameshi!" Kuwabara confessed. "She cornered me… threatened me… and…."

"Offered him a hefty supply of tokens for his next trip to the arcade," finished Hiei with his arms crossed.

"Well, it's good to see that there's still loyalty among friends these days isn't it, Hiei?" said Kurama smiling. Hiei simply nodded. Kurama then turned towards Arella. "Arella?" Arella turned to look towards him. "Now… now, that the prophecy has been fulfilled… I was wondering what your intentions were? Are you returning to your home?"

"In all honesty Kurama, I don't know. I don't want to go back to my aunt and cousins. I don't want to go though that hell again, but I don't have any place else to go and since I did what I was suppose to do… I don't know if that means if I'll ever see you guys again or what. I mean, wasn't the only reason I was staying here was so I be trained properly and defeat Morfran?" Arella asked, biting her lip nervously. Kin let out another whimper as he looked between his guardian and Kurama.

"What is with you young people today?" said Genkai as she started descending the stairs towards the others. "You're all so dense these days! It's true you were invited to stay here to train… but not necessarily to defeat only Morfran. There's always more you can learn, girl."

"And there's still a great deal for me to teach you," added Hiei. "I'll only be done with my pupil when she can defeat me. Which means you'll be stuck with me for a very long time."

Kurama smiled and looked back at Arella who seemed slightly surprised by what she was hearing. "Besides, if you were unhappy at your old home, you really shouldn't return there. I would hate to see you go… especially now."

Arella could not believe what she had just heard. It seemed as though the Fates were finally smiling down upon her. She finally had the two things she had longed for since her mother's death. Friends and a good home. A smile graced her face at the thought of all of this, but she still had one question that had yet to be answered. "Does all of this mean I'm a Spirit Detective now?"

Yusuke smiled and began to stroke his chin. "Gee that's a tough call," said Yususke. "I mean, so far the whole team's been just us guys.…"

"Wait a second, Yusuke!" said Botan. She stepped over towards him and pointed at herself. "What about me? I'm a team player on the field too."

"You?" said Yusuke. "You've got to be kidding. You never do anything except get in trouble and scream really loud."

"IS THIS LOUD ENOUGH FOR YOU?!" shouted Botan into Yusuke's ear. Yusuke stumbled backwards, with his hands over his ear. He was about to respond, but Genkai grabbed his arm. "I'll have you know I kept those walking zombies at bay and saved Kayko, and more importantly I did it all by myself."

"Well, when you put it that way," said Yusuke finally. He then looked down at Genkai and pulled away from his grasp. "I suppose you want in too?"

"And be associated with the likes of you?" scoffed Genkai. "You've got to be kidding."

Kurama turned towards Hiei and Kuwabara who nodded at him and Arella. "I think it would be safe to say that you're right. You are already a Spirit Detective."

"Yeah," said Yusuke finally, smiling as well. "Besides, with Kuwabara, we're gonna need all the help we can get." At that Kuwabara's eyes widened with anger. He clenched his fist and began muttering under his breath.